Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
LEF Website
...so PB won't get a say in how it is spent?.....I can't see that happening
Think is intended to go to the Prospects Foundation, which I don't think Peter Britcliffe has anything to do with ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15   #92
God Member

I have just explored that link I gave.
http://lancsenvfund.org.uk/index.php...id=20&Itemid=6
Amongst a long list of Lancashire projects I found only one for Hyndburn
Fern Gore Community Wildlife Area, Accrington

Anyone ever heard of it?

PS maybe the residents are the 'wild life'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27   #93
JFT96

Tesla was a genius, maybe a bit mad, but that's the price you pay for being a genius.
I really wanted to agree with you Margaret, but HAARP and Chemtrails..... Too much for me.

It would be great if he had discovered a way of making self perpetuating electricity, but maybe the future is in cold fusion, if we can ever get there.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:45   #94
Give, give, give member

'AN ‘extraordinary’ meeting has been called where all council representatives will take a key decision about a controversial windfarm.
Hyndburn Council announced yesterday that it has scheduled the special meeting after pressure from members of the planning committee that the decision be made by all 35 councillors.
Leader of the council Peter Britcliffe said the proposed development of the windfarm in Oswaldtwistle Moors affected every borough in Hyndburn.
And added protesters against the windfarm off Haslingden Road, Oswaldtwistle and those for it had been lobbying residents around the borough.
The Member Services Department took the decision due to the ‘scale and importance of the development.’ The last Extraordinary Council Meeting was called more than five years ago when Hyndburn Homes was privatised Coun Britcliffe, Conservative, said: “It is a decision that affects every borough in Hyndburn and issues of global warming. We are giving every councillor in the area a opportunity to take part in the decision. I know people in favour are canvassing and lobbying and those against it are doing the same.
“There has been pressure from councillors who want to take the decision and can’t and from the 12 members of the planning committee.
“This is such a huge issue and deserves consultation with the full council.”
Leader of the opposition Graham Jones, Labour, criticised the move.
He said: “This is the Conservatives unable to make a decision. There is a lot of protest in Belthorn and the leading group is scared of what’s best.
“I suspect the Conservatives are going to vote against it. We should be looking to save the planet and protect the future.”
Members of the public are welcome to attend and view the event from the public gallery. Those who wish to submit comments with regards the application and/or registering to speak must contact the council no later than 5pm Tuesday February 23.'

Extraordinary meeting called over Oswaldtwistle Moor windfarm (From Lancashire Telegraph)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:07   #95
Common Sense Member

There is an online letter of support that you can submit, the template is self-generating:

Hyndburn Wind Farm - Support

Last edited by Ken Moss; 04-02-2010 at 12:15.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:14   #96
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Think is intended to go to the Prospects Foundation, which I don't think Peter Britcliffe has anything to do with ?
This link explains how the money is to administrated and hints very strongly that it will be a specially appointed member from Prospects:

Hyndburn Wind Farm - Community Fund
Old 04-02-2010, 13:54   #97
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
This link explains how the money is to administrated and hints very strongly that it will be a specially appointed member from Prospects:

Hyndburn Wind Farm - Community Fund
For once I will keep my opinions to myself after reading that.
Old 04-02-2010, 15:15   #98
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
For once I will keep my opinions to myself after reading that.
I'm part of the Prospects Group in Rishton and we can make tiny amounts of money go a long way so a potential £100k per year boost across the borough would be very welcome.

Last edited by Neil; 04-02-2010 at 15:39. Reason: not edited, clicked wrong button :(
Old 04-02-2010, 15:37   #99
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I'm part of the Prospects Group in Rishton and we can make tiny amounts of money go a long way so a potential £100k per year boost across the borough would be very welcome.
I know about Prospects and some of the things you do.

Why was Prospects chosen to decide what happens to the money?

Will Prospects be funding projects solely through there own groups or will other local groups be able to receive money for their own projects.

I ask because I am involved with several local groups who would welcome access to this money as lottery funding is getting harder to obtain.
Old 04-02-2010, 18:35   #100
Common Sense Member

That's a good question and I don't know why. I would imagine that it's because Prospects is a recognised organisation across the whole of Hyndburn and would therefore have most impact in each town. I'm not excusing the money going to just one organisation but Prospects deals with many aspects that need atention rather than just focussing on one particular area of concern, for example abandoned dogs.

Anyone can become part of the Prospects Group and suggest improvements to their town, it's a very wide-ranging scheme.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:22   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't mind wind farms aesthetically but I agree with Boeing, nuclear power is the way to go.
(my emphasis)

There are more pleasant ways of dying
I wonder if Andrew has changed his opinion in the light of current events.

Incidentally there is no comfort in thinking 'it couldn't happen here'.
I recall the Windscale (Sellafield) fire in the late 50s, and today there was a scale 3 earthquake in northern France. The channel coast is where France has most of its nuclear power stations.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 14:48   #102
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
(my emphasis)

There are more pleasant ways of dying
I wonder if Andrew has changed his opinion in the light of current events.

Incidentally there is no comfort in thinking 'it couldn't happen here'.
I recall the Windscale (Sellafield) fire in the late 50s, and today there was a scale 3 earthquake in northern France. The channel coast is where France has most of its nuclear power stations.
The strongest recorded earthquake in the UK was a 6.1 scale quake in 1931 in the North Sea but it did very little damage and is regarded as an extremely rare occurrence for the area as we are sat in a region of low seismic activity.

In the absence of cold fusion reactors I'm afraid that the nuclear option remains the most clean and efficient for us in the future. Photovoltaic panels and miniature wind turbines on top of every house in the country might be a better way but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Old 16-03-2011, 20:36   #103

bring em on, better than nuclear as proven this week !
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 21:03   #104
Senior Member+

The Japanese nuclear stations were designed and built in the sixties! Think how car safety has progressed in the last 40 odd years, I wouldn't like to have a crash in a sixties car. Nuclear station designs have progressed in the same way, the safety features built in are far superior to those old ones. What alternatives do we have? Wind? How much carbon dioxide is generated making a wind turbine and what do we do on a windless day? Cook on a wood fire? With climate change who knows how many windless days we will have in the future, at least nuclear works all day, every day(well, maybe not in Japan).
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 06:58   #105
JFT96

It seems that no one has looked into the problem of icing on blades of turbines. This is more common than you may think and is a very real danger in propeller driven aircraft.
I would not like to be downwind when one of these windfarms shed their rime ice.

Here in the UK we don't have enough sunshine for solar panels, wind is unreliable, maybe we could harness the sea, but in the short term certainly I still don't see any alternative to Nuclear

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..