Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2011, 08:12   #166
Senior Member+

Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Isnt the biggest hydroelectric we have the one in Wales that is not really a power station as such but more of a big water battery?

I had a tour around the hydroelectric power station at llanberis a couple of years ago. It is consists of two big lakes, one at the top of a mountain and one at the bottom. The turbines are hdden in the mountain and water rushes through during the day to produce electricty. At night, when electricity is cheaper the water is pumped back up again. There are no pylons to be seen anywhere and apart from a Visitors centre you wouldn't know about it. The tour takes you right around the underground installations in coaches, full size ones, that's how big the workings are.
The pictures below were scanned from the brochure they give you with your entrance ticket.

You get chance to get right alongside the machinery and we all had to wear hard hats.
Old 30-08-2011, 10:01   #167
Beacon of light

Yes, we have been there too...it is called Electric Mountain.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:48   #168
Senior Member+

ugly? or add to the landscape? took this morning whilst at Jackhouse Res
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbine2.jpg (353.7 KB, 12 views)

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 12:33   #169

For me personally. The ugliness far outweighs there usefulleness.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:20   #170
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
For me personally. The ugliness far outweighs there usefulleness.
I would rather have them on the hill near me than a nuclear power station up there
Old 28-02-2013, 14:41   #171
Senior Member+

im in two minds to be honest, i wouldnt like to see them up the lakes for example, but i think they bring something to the skyline of towns, and as neil says lot better than nuclear power on the outskirts of town, would i have one in the garden if it was cheap enough and it would reduce my eleccy bill, damn right!

couple more i took this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbine4small.jpg (145.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg turbine2small.jpg (205.2 KB, 6 views)

Old 28-02-2013, 14:58   #172
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
im in two minds to be honest, i wouldnt like to see them up the lakes for example, but i think they bring something to the skyline of towns, and as neil says lot better than nuclear power on the outskirts of town, would i have one in the garden if it was cheap enough and it would reduce my eleccy bill, damn right!
Well here in Morecambe we've got two nuclear power stations down the road at Heysham and turbines on various hills in the vicinity. If we want leccy I'm afraid that's the price we have to pay for progress - until they put a barrage across Morecambe Bay that is!
Old 28-02-2013, 15:29   #173
Senior Member+

artistic impression of alternative, i know what i would rather have above the town!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooling tower4small.jpg (121.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 28-02-2013, 17:00   #174
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would rather have them on the hill near me than a nuclear power station up there
Quote:
artistic impression of alternative, i know what i would rather have above the town!
Very unlikely to get a nuclear power station on the moors - they are built on the coast to use seawater for cooling and hence don't have cooling towers. Darren's pic is probably a nasty old fashioned coalfired beast.
Old 28-02-2013, 17:22   #175
Senior Member+

It's been a lovely day today, sun, cold, no wind.
What was supplying the electric which kept your central heating pump running, your oven on etc.?

Not the useless windfarms which you pay subsidies for even when they're sat there 70/80% of the time not generating anything but an eyesore.
No. it was the coal, gas and nuclear power stations.

You can blanket the UK in wind farms and on a day like today you'll sit and shiver if you're relying on them for even a small percentage of your power. Industry will have to switch off, offices shut, electric trains stop.

Power has to be reliable and available 100% of the time- we rely on it totally. Wind farms can never promise that.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 17:59   #176
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I had a tour around the hydroelectric power station at llanberis a couple of years ago. .
Is it at Llanberis or Dinorwig? Went to the one at Dinorwig a few times during and after commissioning. Did not realise there was one at Llanberis.

Dinorwig Power Station (1,728MW)
The Dinorwig Power Station in Wales was commission in 1984 and has a huge 1.7GW power rating. 10 miles of underground tunnels buried beneath Elidir mountain carry water down from Marchlyn Mawr to the six 288MW turbine generators situated in Europe's largest man-made cavern. During construction 12 million tonnes of material was excavated and 1 million tonnes of concrete and 4,500 tonnes of steel used. A schematic diagram is displayed below:

- See more at: UK Hydro Power Stations - Hydro
Old 28-02-2013, 18:05   #177
Senior Member+

Quote:
ugly? or add to the landscape? took this morning whilst at Jackhouse Res
Ugly, Obscene they blocked off my tv reception
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 18:16   #178
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Ugly, Obscene they blocked off my tv reception
Don't worry, with the generating gap they're forecasting in the next few years you won't be able to switch your tv on for part of the day. But you'll be able to entertain yourself watching your wind farm running(if it's windy) knowing that someone else is getting their share of that days energy ration from it.
If it's not windy you'll have to take up knitting-sweaters.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 18:21   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Is it at Llanberis or Dinorwig? Went to the one at Dinorwig a few times during and after commissioning. Did not realise there was one at Llanberis.

Dinorwig Power Station (1,728MW)
The Dinorwig Power Station in Wales was commission in 1984 and has a huge 1.7GW power rating. 10 miles of underground tunnels buried beneath Elidir mountain carry water down from Marchlyn Mawr to the six 288MW turbine generators situated in Europe's largest man-made cavern. During construction 12 million tonnes of material was excavated and 1 million tonnes of concrete and 4,500 tonnes of steel used. A schematic diagram is displayed below:

- See more at: UK Hydro Power Stations - Hydro
It suppose it would be Dinorwig Barrie, I called it Llanberis because that is where the visitors centre is and where the underground tour starts.
If you look back at the pictures of the brochure I scanned it does state it is at Llanberis.
Old 28-02-2013, 19:47   #180
Senior Member+

i have virgin, so tv doesnt bother me, I'm alright jack! lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..