Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2007, 12:27   #61
God Member

Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
found this
The Modern Antiquarian.com | UK | Thirteen Stones Hill (Stone Circle)
still searching

PS thats my cleaning up gone for a burton today
Bet you really bothered about that
Old 25-09-2007, 12:53   #62
Resident Waffler

Flippin 'eck! I thought it was only recent history which had been demolished in this area. Now it turns out we even had a stone circle and it's gone. What with that and Hapton Castle is it any wonder our present council would rather demolish than preserve. It must be hereditary.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:26   #63
God Member

Those ancient stones go deep into the ground so it is likely that the bottom parts of them are still there. Only one left protruding 3ft above ground it seems.
They are only half a mile from me - Oh how I wish I had good feet for walking and wasn't too breathless to go that far (uphill).
I was born and raised in Ossie and this is the first time I have ever heard of of this ancient monument on our doorstep. I am 'wowed'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:34   #64
Resident Waffler

It says something on that site about farmers having cleared them though, apart from that last one.

Old 25-09-2007, 13:42   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It says something on that site about farmers having cleared them though, apart from that last one.
They are not likely to have dug 6ft down to remove the lot - just smashed off the top bits - that website I found shows bits of some others just showing above the surface.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:49   #66
Resident Waffler

I've just been having a bit of a Google and found that there is a sacred well round the back of Jubilee Street in Blackburn. Apparently there's a plaque about it somewhere but I never even knew that. I'll be in that neck of the woods on Saturday so if I remember I'll go on an investigative wander.

Old 25-09-2007, 14:12   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
The British taxpayer currently subsidises these so-called 'Green' wind farms to the tune of half a billion quid a year. I am absolutely amazed that the representatives of Hyndburn and Lancashire Council are even considering allowing a bunch of Germans to come along, dececrate our beloved landscape and then get their pockets lined, courtesy of us.
We are lining everyone elses pockets so we might as well line theirs. Sooner or later we will need other forms of energy because once North Sea oil and gas runs out we would be dependent on others for our supplies with all the pitfalls that comes with that. They may be unsitely not well placed even a slight eco problem but its better than diving back to the stone age. We cant have polluting coal fired power stations nuclear is a contentious issue bio fuel couldnt provide enough for our daily needs. With all the rain and cloud even solar is not viable nor is hydro as that will also spoil large areas of beauty in mountainous areas. All in all windfarms are the lesser evil.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 22:42   #68
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
We are lining everyone elses pockets so we might as well line theirs. Sooner or later we will need other forms of energy because once North Sea oil and gas runs out we would be dependent on others for our supplies with all the pitfalls that comes with that. They may be unsitely not well placed even a slight eco problem but its better than diving back to the stone age. We cant have polluting coal fired power stations nuclear is a contentious issue bio fuel couldnt provide enough for our daily needs. With all the rain and cloud even solar is not viable nor is hydro as that will also spoil large areas of beauty in mountainous areas. All in all windfarms are the lesser evil.
You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Hydro electric is the only economic way forward. Rain is free and we have an abundance of that. Gravity is also free and never ending.

What would you sooner have? Vast tracts of beautiful mountain countryside and no electricity or a handful of allegedly spoiled countryside sites and electricity in abundance. Even so, lakes man-made or otherwise have their own special beauty and they could spark a water borne leisure industry.

There was a programme on the telly a couple of weeks ago that destroyed the myth of the viability of wind farms. A windmill, during its lifetime, will not produce more energy than it took to build and position it.
Old 25-09-2007, 22:44   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Hydro electric is the only economic way forward..
Totally in agreement with you on this one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 23:22   #70
God Member

If hydro is the way forward then the south east will not be full of large manmade resivours to make energy it will be places like the lake district.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 05:19   #71
Resident Waffler

Gravity can't have much effect in places that are flat never mind the fact that they are often so short of rain they end up with parched, cracked landscapes. Maybe wind has more effect down there.

The original write up about that windmill on Blackpool prom seemed to indicate it would run at a loss, but there were later statistics which indicated otherwise. It all depends on the agenda of the person producing the statistics. What about wave power? We are an island and we've always got tides.

Old 26-09-2007, 07:54   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
If hydro is the way forward then the south east will not be full of large manmade resivours to make energy it will be places like the lake district.
They have tides in the south-east.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:58   #73
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Gravity can't have much effect in places that are flat never mind the fact that they are often so short of rain they end up with parched, cracked landscapes. Maybe wind has more effect down there.

The original write up about that windmill on Blackpool prom seemed to indicate it would run at a loss, but there were later statistics which indicated otherwise. It all depends on the agenda of the person producing the statistics. What about wave power? We are an island and we've always got tides.
What about wave power? By definition the contraptions that convert wave movement into electricity have to be in the sea. When the sea levels rise these contraptions will get submerged. It’s the same for off shore wind farms.

The question is will the sea levels rise high enough? Who knows? The government is considering a new Thames barrier scheme because the current one will not cope with potential sea level rise. So I guess sea levels will rise during this century.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15   #74
JFT96

Why not nuclear, The French use it to provide over 78% of their power.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25   #75
God Member

I don't mind wind farms aesthetically but I agree with Boeing, nuclear power is the way to go.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..