Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 23:59   #136
Give, give, give member

Re: You will join in

Judging all Muslims because of extremists, is like judging all Christians on the actions of those who fire bomb abortion clinics in the name of Jesus.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2008, 07:16   #137
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Judging all Muslims because of extremists, is like judging all Christians on the actions of those who fire bomb abortion clinics in the name of Jesus.
my views exactly, I cannot hate a whole race of people or judge them because of what some of them think and do.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:43   #138
Give, give, give member

It's quite funny, until fairly recently arguably the most famous peson in the world, and the one that always tops the greatest sportsman of all time, is a Muslim.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:46   #139
Give, give, give member

I'll fight religious extremism to my last breath, but I believe you can't judge everyone on the actions of a few.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:26   #140
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Have a read at this WillowTheWhisp 'Kafir is what the Koran and Islam call the unbelievers. Kafir is the worst word in the human language.'
For more click this link: Political Islam

'Kafir is the worst word in the human language' doesn't actually make sense. There is no such thing as 'the human language' - there are thousands of human languages. To a devout Muslim the word 'kafir' (or however you want to spell it) is possibly the worst word because to them to be an unbeliever is the worst possible thing. You can't blame the word. It's like saying the Spanish word for 'black' is offensive because in English the word 'negro' is deemed to be offensive wheras the word 'black' isn't. But 'negro' is the Spanish word for 'black'. What are the millions of Spanish speaking people supposed to do if they want to say 'black'? If a word is used as an insult it's an insult. If a word is used in it's intended form to describe something with no malice intended then it is not an insult. It is what people intend when they say it that matters. You can't blame the word. The point I was making was that Muslims have not taken the word from South Africa and adopted it to use to insult non-Muslims. They already had the word.

When I was at school there was a girl who would call others a 'pencil case'. Now is a pencil case an offensive item or merely somewhere to store your writing equipment? Yet when she used the words the intention was to insult others. Many of us use a dipstick to check the level of oil in our car. Yet the word is used to describe someone in a derogatory manner. Is an actual dipstick an offensive item? If people choose to use the word 'kafir' as an insult that is their use of the word. When I was in Ireland I often heard the term 'English' used as an insult.

Interesting that your link is to 'political Islam' - there are plenty of Muslims who are not political and are just simply living their lives like we are. I could probably find Christian references to chopping off heads and arms of non-believers. How about 'not suffering a witch to live'? Look at what happened in Salem, Massachusets.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 17:18   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
How about 'not suffering a witch to live'? Look at what happened in Salem, Massachusets.
The Americans have always been behind the times. They were only copying our trials and executions of the Pendle Witches some 80 years earlier.
You aren't suggesting muslims are witches are you?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 19:20   #142
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's like saying the Spanish word for 'black' is offensive because in English the word 'negro' is deemed to be offensive wheras the word 'black' isn't.
Since when did the word negro join the list of offensive words?
I thought it was the word nigger that the PC Brigade had deemed offensive just like they added BLACK to the list.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 19:21   #143
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
You aren't suggesting muslims are witches are you?
I bet they where never asked that question.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 19:56   #144
God Member

A state based on Islam is much different from one based on Christianity, at least "main stream" Christianity. As any historian worth his salt will agree, as a society grows from primitive tribalism into an ordered civilization, a common religion permeates all its activities and helps to form all its characteristic institutions. The rise of medieval Islam provides a typical example. In such circumstances the creation of political institutions quite separate from the organization of the accepted relgion seem hardly conceivable. Christianity, on the other hand, irrupted into an ancient civilization that already had its own established hierarchy of government and its own sophisticated treadition or political thought based on non-Christian concepts. The Christian church had to develop its own structure of governing offices, sometimes parallel to but always apart from those of the secular hierarchy. So in a sense, Willow, there is no such thing as non-political Islam. Islam is a religion which is also a governing system. And the question that we have to ask ourselves is: Is integration of these two beliefs even remotely possible?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 21:18   #145
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Jim.,...I can call you that because I am old enough....you are beggining to get on my tits.....Pull your horns in and don't make yourself look such a pratt.
Seeing as Jim is my name anyone can call me by it. Age has nothing to do with it.

Ah! Poor didums! So just because, as you put it “you are beggining to get on my tits..... you feel empowered to issue instructions?

When you become my keeper you can tell me what to do. Until that day butt out.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43   #146
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Seeing as Jim is my name anyone can call me by it. Age has nothing to do with it.
I remember more than one tantrum you've had about other members calling you something other than Jambutty. This was the only name we were informed you were to be known by.

A break through indeed...Jim.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26   #147
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I remember more than one tantrum you've had about other members calling you something other than Jambutty. This was the only name we were informed you were to be known by.

A break through indeed...Jim.
My what a selective memory you have. But then that is par for the course on this forum.

I stated that I respond to Jim, James, Buckley, Mr. Buckley and jambutty because those are my names. I OBJECTED to being called things like JB, jam, butty or any other derivatives on the grounds that I wouldn’t know if it was me that someone was referring to.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40   #148
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
My what a selective memory you have. But then that is par for the course on this forum.

I stated that I respond to Jim, James, Buckley, Mr. Buckley and jambutty because those are my names. I OBJECTED to being called things like JB, jam, butty or any other derivatives on the grounds that I wouldn’t know if it was me that someone was referring to.
Hello? Have we got yet another thread turning into an exclusive Butt joke?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53   #149
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hello? Have we got yet another thread turning into an exclusive Butt joke?

If we have then blame garinda.

S/he started it.

Hang on! I forgot! I’m not supposed to answer posts unless it is to agree with whatever has been posted.

Well you know my answer to that.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57   #150
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
my views exactly, I cannot hate a whole race of people or judge them because of what some of them think and do.
What about the French, can we hate them just for being French please?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..