Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2008, 15:37   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I wonder how true this 'report' actually is?

I think it's another case of the press making a mountain out of a molehill to get a sensational story.

Facts:

Some council meetings take place during the month of Ramadan.
Refreshments are provided during the council meetings.
Dusk falls during the council meetings.
Muslims break their fast at dusk,
However, when dusk fell and the Muslims went to get their packs of food to break their fast they were finding there was none left as it had all been scoffed earlier by the non-Muslims.
The non-Muslims were therefore requested to refrain from tucking in to food until the Muslims broke their fast to ensure fairness to all.

I personally see nothing wrong with that. Perhaps if the non-Muslims hadn't been such greedy beggars in the first place the problem would never have arisen.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2008, 15:44   #32
Senior Member+

That looks reasonable to me too Willow, but once again Muslims (I hate grouping people by their religion) become the 'folk devils' of our society.

I still can't work out how someone's religious affiliation affects their parking habits.
Old 30-08-2008, 15:47   #33
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

I think it's another case of the press making a mountain out of a molehill to get a sensational story.

Facts:

However, when dusk fell and the Muslims went to get their packs of food to break their fast they were finding there was none left as it had all been scoffed earlier by the non-Muslims.
The non-Muslims were therefore requested to refrain from tucking in to food until the Muslims broke their fast to ensure fairness to all.

I personally see nothing wrong with that. Perhaps if the non-Muslims hadn't been such greedy beggars in the first place the problem would never have arisen.
What a load of P.C. nonsense from a person that believes in 'live & let live', if someone chooses one way to live then, grand let them be free to live that life, but surely their way has to fit in with the majority, not the other way around?

The people that live around me of whatever colour or creed get on with their lives and don't expect anyone that doesn't want to, to have to fit in with their views, May all your different gods one day allow other peoples gods to live in harmony until then the do-gooders will ruin the world!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 15:54   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Must be that muslims are complaining JB, the Cross of St George reminds them of the Crusades
Which we lost.
Old 30-08-2008, 16:07   #35
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What a load of P.C. nonsense from a person that believes in 'live & let live', if someone chooses one way to live then, grand let them be free to live that life, but surely their way has to fit in with the majority, not the other way around?

I don't quite follow you there Less. If the non-Muslims had just eaten their own share of the food there would never have been a problem. It would have been live and let live. However, there were packs of food for the Muslims to break their fast with at dusk but these were also being eaten by the non-Muslims before dusk when they had their food so there was nothing left for the Muslims when it became their time to eat. They were trying to fit in with the non-Muslims until the non-Muslims ate their food too. Maybe an answer would be to have a table of food with a label "Muslims only" but that would probably have people complaining too.

So how would you solve it?

Here are people willing to join in the committee meetings at a time which runs over the hour at which they would break their fast. They have not asked for the time of the meetings to be changed in order to suit them. They were adapting their ways to fit in with the indigenous population (not sure if it was even a majority on the committees). They attended the meetings and when the non-Muslims had refreshments the Muslims simply didn't partake as dusk had not yet fallen. If there had been food left for them afterwards that would have been OK and there wouldn't have been a problem but there wasn't food left for them, so a solution seemed to be to ask everyone to wait and have their refreshments all at the same time so everyone got a fair share.

What is so intollerant about that?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 30-08-2008 at 16:08. Reason: typo
Old 30-08-2008, 16:08   #36
Senior Member+

You have to laugh when you get a thread where people are saying that the minority should defer to the majority, that a nation's culture and way of life are being taken away by immigrant groups, and then start talking about the Crusades!!
Old 30-08-2008, 16:12   #37
Resident Waffler

I'm just wondering if the Muslims are a minority or a majority on that council.

Old 30-08-2008, 16:14   #38
God Member

Quote:

What is so intollerant about that?
If they thought they were going to miss out they should have asked for a grant....for a bait box?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 16:20   #39
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: You will join in

Quote:

Facts:

A bit of cherry picking there WillowTheWhisp.

If you are throwing doubts on the accuracy of the report in the Telegraph, then surely it has to be the whole report or nothing. For does not that same report that you doubt also report about meals being scoffed by non Muslim councillors?

The real answer to that problem would be to serve two lots of food. Or is that too easy for the PC brigade and leaves no room for conflict.

What’s going to be next? We incumbents of the UK not being allowed to walk through a Muslin enclave eating a bag of crisps or smoking a fag during the daylight hours of Ramadan.

And the real issue is pandering to the Ramadan whim by reducing council business during the 30 days.

If someone takes on the Islamic faith then they have to accept that it is out of step with most of the rest of the world and they cannot expect the rest of the world to accommodate them. Except that they do and also want the rest of the world to convert to Islam.
Old 30-08-2008, 16:28   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
I'm just wondering if the Muslims are a minority or a majority on that council.
If you read the thread through (Post 21) you would have seen that 31 of the 51 councillors had names attributed to immigrants and if you look at each person's profile you would see that they were all Asian.

Now I know that not every Asian is a Muslim and the profiles do not list their religion but I would be very surprised if all 31 were not Muslims.

So to answer your question it is odds on that the Muslims are in the majority.
Old 30-08-2008, 16:28   #41
Resident Waffler

But they weren't asking the non-Muslims to pray with them or convert to Islam, were they? Merely to refrain from eating until they were able to in order to give everyone a fair chance. I did suggest in a previous post that to serve two seperately marked lots of food would be an option but apparently the non-Muslims had been eating the Iftar packs which were there specifically for Muslims to break their fast with. So that idea had been tried and not worked it seems.

Old 30-08-2008, 16:30   #42
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If you read the thread through (Post 21) you would have seen that 31 of the 51 councillors had names attributed to immigrants and if you look at each person's profile you would see that they were all Asian.

Now I know that not every Asian is a Muslim and the profiles do not list their religion but I would be very surprised if all 31 were not Muslims.

So to answer your question it is odds on that the Muslims are in the majority.
It was more of a rhetorical question in response to references about the majority having to fit in the the minority. My point being that in this instance the apparent majority (Muslim) had already been trying to fit in with the apparent minority (non-Muslim) and had been taken advantage of by having their food snaffled.

Old 30-08-2008, 16:32   #43
God Member

simple answer is for everyone to take heir own packed lunch and eat it when they choose to

one less expense to the council tax payer as well , small as it may be

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 16:34   #44
Resident Waffler

Is it normal for food to be provided at Council meeetings? Or is that a silly question?

Old 30-08-2008, 16:35   #45
Senior Member+

I think the fast is closed in the morning and opened at night..... dont ask me why tho lol

Lets all educate ourselves...Ramadan, How Muslims fast in Ramadan fasting

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..