Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 20:26   #121
God Member

Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Jambutty's a pussy compared to the muslim extremists.
..very ironic ..coming from Emily's cat!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2008, 20:28   #122
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
..very ironic ..coming from Emily's cat!
Thought you might like that, I choose my words very carefully.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 23:15   #123
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Anybody watch Dispatches?
I just finished watching it.

Interesting that the Saudis are funding much of the extremism that was shown in the programme.

I'll not wait with bated breath for our government to protest, or try to stop this from happening, anytime soon.

Well not until their oil, and defence contracts, keep on coming here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 23:19   #124
God Member

Yes I think it needs to be dealt with but won't hold my breath
Old 02-09-2008, 07:01   #125
Resident Waffler

Not so much a case of biting the hand that feeds you - more like feeding the hand that bites you.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:00   #126
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Anybody watch Dispatches?
I wonder if anyone else picked up on one tiny piece of information?

The Muslim Parliament of Great Britain

http://www.muslimparliament.org.uk/

When did that happen? I never got a chance to vote for my representative in that Parliament.

We have a Scottish Parliament and a Welsh Assembly yet we cannot have an English Parliament yet somehow the Muslim community have managed to organise a Muslim Parliament that is recognised as a bona fide organisation by our government.

Also the teachers often used the term “Kaffir” or “Kaffer and Kafir” as they spelled it, when referring to non Muslims. This is a derogatory term used by Boers when referring to Black Africans, particularly in South Africa and Rhodesia and also adopted by white South Africans.

In private they teach religious hatred whilst the public arm denounces atrocities and is all sweet and nice, promoting harmony.

People really should wake up to what is happening around them.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:14   #127
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
unfortunately most of Jambuttys post are full of opinionated, bigoted rubbish bulked up with big words because he wants to look smart.
Of course my posts are opinionated. I’m stating my opinion on an issue. Just like you have done and so does everyone else.

I choose my words carefully on the assumption that the reader will be able understand what I am stating. So I suppose that you will now accuse me of talking ‘down’ to people.

The art of conversation is to speak in a language that the listener will understand. Taking this premise to the ultimate, there is little point in talking to a French person in English if s/he does not understand English.

Are you castigating me for having the good fortune to have had a decent education both at school and in life? A bit of reverse snobbery there.
Old 02-09-2008, 13:24   #128
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

Also the teachers often used the term “Kaffir” or “Kaffer and Kafir” as they spelled it, when referring to non Muslims. This is a derogatory term used by Boers when referring to Black Africans, particularly in South Africa and Rhodesia and also adopted by white South Africans.

I know you appreciate facts Jambutty so lets get this right shall we?
The origin of the word kafir is Arabic and is usually translated as "unbeliever". In the Arabic language it means someone who who does not believe in, or denies the existence of, Allah. It was not intended as a derogatory term any more than a Christian referring to an atheist means it in a derogatory manner, or a Jew referring to a Gentile. It is merely a distinctive description.

The word was used to describe non-Muslim people by Arab traders on the coast of Africa. The word was adopted from there by Portuguese traders who used to describe the non-Muslim African people with whom they traded. It then spread into South Africa and was openly and generally used to describe African tribal peoples collectively but not in a derogatory fashion, in much the same way as they are today referred to as 'black South Africans' Only during the last century did it become a term of insult used by white South Africans or Rhodesians when referring to black people whom they considered inferior.

So you see, for Muslims to use the word it is neither derogatory nor offensive. It is merely the original Arabic word used to refer to someone who is not Muslim. Many Arabic words are used in Islam - it avoids the problems which can arise with translating into different languages. (Words such as 'halal' and 'haraam' for example.)

Please stop looking for insults and offences where none exist.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 15:03   #129
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
So you see, for Muslims to use the word it is neither derogatory nor offensive. It is merely the original Arabic word used to refer to someone who is not Muslim.
Have a read at this WillowTheWhisp 'Kafir is what the Koran and Islam call the unbelievers. Kafir is the worst word in the human language.'
For more click this link: Political Islam

For anyone else interested try typing taqiyya into Google and have a read at that.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 20:03   #130
God Member

The Western concept of the separation of church and state -indeed the idea of the modern state itself - grew out of a centuries-long struggle between the kings and the popes of medieval Europe. Few controversies have so idelibly influenced the course of Western civilization. Muslims are not part of this tradition, and any nation that treats them as if they are is risking it's traditional identity.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 20:46   #131
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I know you appreciate facts Jambutty so lets get this right shall we?
The origin of the word kafir is Arabic and is usually translated as "unbeliever". In the Arabic language it means someone who who does not believe in, or denies the existence of, Allah. It was not intended as a derogatory term any more than a Christian referring to an atheist means it in a derogatory manner, or a Jew referring to a Gentile. It is merely a distinctive description.

The word was used to describe non-Muslim people by Arab traders on the coast of Africa. The word was adopted from there by Portuguese traders who used to describe the non-Muslim African people with whom they traded. It then spread into South Africa and was openly and generally used to describe African tribal peoples collectively but not in a derogatory fashion, in much the same way as they are today referred to as 'black South Africans' Only during the last century did it become a term of insult used by white South Africans or Rhodesians when referring to black people whom they considered inferior.

So you see, for Muslims to use the word it is neither derogatory nor offensive. It is merely the original Arabic word used to refer to someone who is not Muslim. Many Arabic words are used in Islam - it avoids the problems which can arise with translating into different languages. (Words such as 'halal' and 'haraam' for example.)

Please stop looking for insults and offences where none exist.
Yes indeed let’s get this straight and present ALL the facts not just those that suit your argument.

I see you’ve been Wikipediaing and also cherry picking – again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_(ethnic_slur) opens with “Kaffir, kaffer or kafir, which once was a blanket term for black southern Africans (see Kaffir (historical usage in southern Africa)), is now utilized exclusively as an ethnic or racial slur.”

If you watched the programme you would have heard the manner in which the word Kaffir was spat out.

So please recognise in insult when it is spoken and stop trying to excuse the unacceptable actions of some people.
Old 02-09-2008, 20:49   #132
Senior Member+

of course the programe you watched showed every single muslim person there is, not just the ones that would put the point the programme wanted to show across to the public the best.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 21:13   #133
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
of course the programe you watched showed every single muslim person there is, not just the ones that would put the point the programme wanted to show across to the public the best.
If you are going to join a debate do try not to get facetious. Of course the programme didn’t show every single Muslim person that there is. Equally so each view will be presented in the best possible light that and ignore the bad bits.

This http://www.bibletranslation.ws/islam.html makes very interesting reading.

Take some time out to read it.
Old 02-09-2008, 22:35   #134
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If you are going to join a debate do try not to get facetious. Of course the programme didn’t show every single Muslim person that there is. Equally so each view will be presented in the best possible light that and ignore the bad bits.

This http://www.bibletranslation.ws/islam.html makes very interesting reading.

Take some time out to read it.
Jim.,...I can call you that because I am old enough....you are beggining to get on my tits.....Pull your horns in and don't make yourself look such a pratt.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 23:54   #135
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I thought the British Muslims who were interviewed, rather than secretly filmed or from DVD clips, were moderate, and spoke a lot of sense. Especially the woman with the white streak in her hair.

Unlike our government, they at least spoke out about the dangers that oil rich Saudi fundamentalists are helping to spread.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..