Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2008, 21:59   #91
Senior Member+

Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberty12 View Post
hi i am rob
lol, random post of the week !

we have a place to introduce yourself..Introduce Yourself - Accrington Web

welcome to accyweb

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2008, 22:09   #92
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was reading a report last night regarding Tower Hamlets Council in London, it seems that all employees and councillors have been sent an Email asking them to observe the feast of Ramadan, by fasting so as not to upset the muslim employees who work for the council. No doubt this will actually have nothing to do with the muslims that work there just PC prats who are employed by the council. Where is all this PC crap going to end
Kiss my arse!!!

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 22:12   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Kiss my arse!!!
Who...Jatsay or the Councillors of Tower Hamlets?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 22:39   #94
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Who...Jatsay or the Councillors of Tower Hamlets?
After reading the thread in full both of them (Jaysay for dangling the worm and for the LFC comment the other day) and the PC members of accyweb who will be the death of our country and then say it's not my fault.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 22:56   #95
Give, give, give member

Jambutty said that 'Blackburn has 17 councillors out of 69 councillors with immigrant sounding names'

I thought it would be interesting to apply his skewed logic to our own council, here in Hyndburn.

It appears we have at least two councillors with 'immigrant sounding names'.

Both Cllr. Jones, and Cllr. Roberts, sound suspiciously Welsh, and if the logic was to be stretched even further I might suggest that the two councillors were practicing Methodists, who were using their political power to force their religion on the unsuspecting public.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 23:43   #96
God Member

What a load of nonsense. At school/college anybody fasting would do just that, they didn't need hand holding by the rest of the people who weren't fasting.

Perhaps the fasting councillors should just have a word with the non-fasting ones to tell them to not eat their food. It sounds like a school playground, not a group of people supposed to be running the borough services at the taxpayers expense.

Last edited by andrewb; 31-08-2008 at 23:45.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 23:51   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
What a load of nonsense. At school/college anybody fasting would do just that, they didn't need hand holding by the rest of the people who weren't fasting.
one of the few things we completely agree on cyfr.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49   #98
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Sometimes I think I live in a different world to a lot of people on here, because I see no signs of Muslims wanting to "take over" or impose their views on the rest of us in my everyday life. How come the Muslim bloke who works in the next office will fast for Ramadam totally unconcerned about the rest of us chomping away on our lunchtime snacks (and will in fact make jokes about it, despite being part of a "humourless religion")? How come the Muslim girl in the local shop will serve me with my pork pie and cans of Guinness with her usual friendly smile? How come the Muslim family who live a few doors down will send us a Christmas card in a few months time?

Still, what do I know? If the newspapers say Muslims are making special demands, it must be true!
And you won’t see Mr and Mrs Average Muslim wanting to “take over” because that wouldn’t be very surreptitious. That is the whole point of being surreptitious, no one notices until it is too late.

Hitler’s mob didn’t take over Germany in one day. It took them years where bit by bit they weedled themselves into positions of authority until they were strong enough to take over. Did the fifth columnists in Europe during the last war announce to the Germans that they would throw them out of the country? No! They went about their normal daily lives, smiled sweetly as they served the Germans in the shops and cafes until the call came to take positive action.

The Muslim community do not need to make special demands. They have got the PC brigade running so scared that the PC lot are doing it for them.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:21   #99
Super Moderator

So every Muslim I come into contact with (including the Muslim members of this site) is part of a large-scale conspiracy to take over this country? Oh well, that's your point of view and you're entitled to it...personally, I don't buy it...and I certainly wouldn't class myself as a PC merchant!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:14   #100
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
So every Muslim I come into contact with (including the Muslim members of this site) is part of a large-scale conspiracy to take over this country? Oh well, that's your point of view and you're entitled to it...personally, I don't buy it...and I certainly wouldn't class myself as a PC merchant!
Come on Wynonie Harris you know I didn’t say that.

If left to their own devices 99% of Muslims would just live out their lives in harmony with the rest of us.

It is the minority of hard liners who are pushing for an Islamic state in every country that they emigrate to. But these hard liners know, that as the 99% are DEVOUT Muslims, when push comes to shove they will fall into line. Of course there will always be exceptions but they will be few and far between and are prepared to be ostracised.

For hundreds of years the Vatican kept the followers of the Roman Catholic faith in a grip of iron until Henry VIII broke the shackles. Even thereafter the Vatican controlled the lives of millions of people around the world and still does so right to this day – not in the western world so much but in Africa and S America.

In his “Rivers Of Blood” speech back in April 1968 Enoch Powell stated, “In fifteen or twenty years, on present trends, there will be 3,500,000 Commonwealth immigrants and their descendants”. He went on to say “Whole areas, towns and parts of towns across England will be occupied by different sections of the immigrant and immigrant descended population”.

I understand that there are barely 2 million Muslims in the UK today. 30 years ago there were nary a one. Are parts of towns across England occupied by different sections of the immigrant and immigrant descended population? You have to admit that there are. The only wrong part of that prediction is the time scale and probably the number. It has taken 30 odd years not 15 to 20.

Read his speech at http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/powell_press.htm

At the time Enoch Powell was branded a racist and lost his place on the Shadow Cabinet but subsequent events have proved him right.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40   #101
God Member

Hang on Jambutty are we talking about Muslims?...at no time does Enoch Powell mention "Muslims" in the speech.. he does mention "Negros" many times... "in 15-20 years time the black man will hold the whip hand over the white man".. not very well chosen words from a man you tell us was not racist!... the speech in full is here...Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech - Telegraph

Last edited by Mancie; 01-09-2008 at 12:46.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47   #102
Super Moderator

It depends what you mean by "devout". Just because a Muslim follows his religion devoutly does not necessarily mean that he is willing to follow the edicts of the "hardliners". My Muslim mate is devoutly fasting for Ramadan, but he tells me that he regards the hardliners with nothing but contempt (although, of course, he could be lying!).

As for Enoch Powell, it's a pity he didn't think about this in the fifties when he was the Minister of Health and actively encouraging immigrants to come over here to work in the NHS. However, you're right, there are areas where the predominant population is composed of immigrants and their descendants. However, I don't see how that proves that they are planning to "take over". There's an area near me that largely comprises those of West Indian extraction - are they planning to take over, too?

I agree that their are parallels to be drawn with pre-war Germany, though - just as Hitler and the Nazis sought to use the Jews as a scapegoat for all that was wrong with the country, so many in the UK are using "immigrants" in a similar way.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:54   #103
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

There's an area near me that largely comprises those of West Indian extraction - are they planning to take over, too?
We have to be careful of the 'Silent Majority', How many Chinese are quietly serving away at all hours slowly infiltrating communities with their religions?

Still, I suppose if I had to be forced to eat King Prawn & fried Rice I'd struggle on somehow!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:58   #104
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
We have to be careful of the 'Silent Majority', How many Chinese are quietly serving away at all hours slowly infiltrating communities with their religions?

Still, I suppose if I had to be forced to eat King Prawn & fried Rice I'd struggle on somehow!
Damned inscrutable, these Oriental types! Still, I share your thoughts on King Prawn & Fried Rice...bring it on!
Old 01-09-2008, 13:01   #105
God Member

As an atheist I think that if the majority of the population need to believe, then the more religions there are, the better. It reduces the effect on politics of any one of them.

I recall in the days before immigration when the Church of England dominated and there were extremist christians who made Sundays useless and miserable.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..