Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2008, 07:43   #76
Resident Waffler

Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree, but that aint the issue.
The problem is Cashy that with this story that is EXACTLY the issue. It has been twisted to give it a racist bias when the original problem they were trying to solve was that the non-Muslims were scoffing all the nosh and not leaving the Iftar packs for the Muslims to break their fast with when the time came. Now if I'm fasting I don't care one jot if anyone else is eating. My late husband used to not fast because he was diabetic. Him eating didn't bother me at all but I would have been highly dischuffed if he'd eaten his dinner and mine. I would probably have said something along the lines of "If you can't keep your greedy mits off my share then wait for your own until I'm ready too!" which is basically what has happened here only they've tried to do it more politely.

I'm saddened to see that the racist comments by some of the posters in this thread have deterred others from chatting here. We are not all alike and some of us detest racism just as much as you do Tin Monkey. The only way to keep a balance is for the non-racists like you to join in and to make their views know, not to run away and leave the impression that AccyWeb is a racist site.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2008, 08:44   #77
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i didnt mean common sense, i meant polite.
It does help the debate if you write what you mean.

I, at least, am not a mind reader.
Old 31-08-2008, 08:47   #78
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: You will join in

Quote:
nooo....... im not saying that non muslims shouldnt eat i am saying that they dont have to eat right in front of hungry people!
If Muslims do not like to watch other people eat whilst they cannot, then they should remove themselves from the vicinity.
Old 31-08-2008, 09:12   #79
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: You will join in

This issue isn’t just about no food being left that people seem to be concentrating on. The food issue is being used to effectively call the non Muslims greedy in scoffing all the food. That issue is easily resolved but it wouldn’t give the Muslim councillors any leverage if the food weren’t even put out until the Muslim councillors are eligible to eat it.

The major issue is that the number of council meetings have been reduced during Ramadan and breaks for prayers arranged during the remaining meetings. In other words the normal running of council business has been skewed to favour one particular religion. That is WRONG and it is not being racist to say so.

Council meetings today, the running of the Town Hall tomorrow???

People should wake up to the fact that slowly and surreptitiously the Islamic way is being foisted onto the incumbent residents of this land and amazingly some people are defending them.
Old 31-08-2008, 17:43   #80

The real issue here is not should non muslims be eating in front of thos that are fasting

The real issue here is why are the council tax payers providing councillors with their food. Let them all, regardless of their religion, bring their own and let us spend the money on esential services.

As someone who is vegetarian. Ceoliac (cant spell) and allergic to numerous other foods I regularly have to do without food in public meetings. It does not bother me as I have my mind made up not to eat as I know it will make me ill. I am sure that Muslims feel the same during Ramadan, if you have decided not to eat then your brain takes over from the hunger.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 17:47   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I'm just waiting for the classic, "I'm not a racist but..." line. My eyes have really been opened by this thread.

I'll stick to the Stanley section from now on.
Who in this post is talking about racism This is about religion, sociology, and politics. In particular, a particularly virulent, humorless, radical, and subversive form of religion that seeks to insinuate itself into a nation's social and political life ... and, to refer to my own post, this is true of certain forms of Islam and fundamentalist Christianity. Both are ultra-conservative; and both are dangerous if they achieve too much influence in any society.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 20:19   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
are you gunna stop selling it as well?
What was that story a few months ago about a muslim working in a supermarket and refused to sell bacon so had to raise their hand till an english worker came to serve it, but if thats the case they will not be wanting to serve bacon, alcohol, deodrants etc

its about time this country picks up its pride thats been dragging on the floor for years
Old 31-08-2008, 20:47   #83
Resident Waffler

That is an entirely different topic but IMO if someone doesn't want to sell bacon then they shouldn't choose to work in a shop that sells it. Same with alcohol. I don't drink alcohol as part of my religion but that wouldn't stop me beeping it through a supermarket checkout for someone who waned to buy some.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 21:20   #84
Super Moderator

Sometimes I think I live in a different world to a lot of people on here, because I see no signs of Muslims wanting to "take over" or impose their views on the rest of us in my everyday life. How come the Muslim bloke who works in the next office will fast for Ramadam totally unconcerned about the rest of us chomping away on our lunchtime snacks (and will in fact make jokes about it, despite being part of a "humourless religion")? How come the Muslim girl in the local shop will serve me with my pork pie and cans of Guinness with her usual friendly smile? How come the Muslim family who live a few doors down will send us a Christmas card in a few months time?

Still, what do I know? If the newspapers say Muslims are making special demands, it must be true!
Old 31-08-2008, 21:44   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well said wyn, virtually what i was saying earlier in the thread, n we also got xmas cards off the family 2 doors away, though they moved in jan this year.
Old 31-08-2008, 21:52   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Sometimes I think I live in a different world to a lot of people on here, because I see no signs of Muslims wanting to "take over" or impose their views on the rest of us in my everyday life. How come the Muslim bloke who works in the next office will fast for Ramadam totally unconcerned about the rest of us chomping away on our lunchtime snacks (and will in fact make jokes about it, despite being part of a "humourless religion")? How come the Muslim girl in the local shop will serve me with my pork pie and cans of Guinness with her usual friendly smile? How come the Muslim family who live a few doors down will send us a Christmas card in a few months time?

Still, what do I know? If the newspapers say Muslims are making special demands, it must be true!
In day to day life I see much the same as you, no “takeover bids” no imposing of will.

I have seen the “racist card” played by a few in the work place by the more unscrupulous when thing did not go their way ( taking their turn on a bad job ), seen it more than once so assume it happens fairly frequently. The “sexist card “ came out a few times too, when a particular lesbian didn’t get her own way. Very tacky and undermines the real issues some people have. Seems to be a growing thing, just like the compensation culture.
Old 31-08-2008, 21:54   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If Muslims do not like to watch other people eat whilst they cannot, then they should remove themselves from the vicinity.
Jim...you are leading yourself down the path of racial discrimination....don't do it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 21:56   #88
Senior Member+

must just be me then...... if my friends arent eating then neither am i, while i am with them, doesnt mean i wont go for my dinner at dinner time.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 21:56   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
In day to day life I see much the same as you, no “takeover bids” no imposing of will.

I have seen the “racist card” played by a few in the work place by the more unscrupulous when thing did not go their way ( taking their turn on a bad job ), seen it more than once so assume it happens fairly frequently. The “sexist card “ came out a few times too, when a particular lesbian didn’t get her own way. Very tacky and undermines the real issues some people have. Seems to be a growing thing, just like the compensation culture.
agree,its just a pity some can't or wont distinguish between the few n the majority.
Old 31-08-2008, 21:57   #90
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
Are they going to make those that don't give/receive blood......give/receive blood?

As not to upset everyone else of course
hi i am rob
roberty12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..