Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

davemac 24-08-2012 09:48

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1010392)
Ammo for your pea shooter.

I was a catapult man myself, peashooters were a lot of hard work.

mobertol 24-08-2012 12:02

Technical hitch means I had 2 days to catch up with -some lovely shots of the statues and Gremlins dogs and the gorgeous ginger cat. Dave's ugly bugs are getting better and better.

mobertol 24-08-2012 12:13

10 Attachment(s)
New theme for today - Music.

5th day up at 40°C -have had several mini-meltdown moments -apart from the swim in the lake the other day followed by a cold shower -can't remember the last time I felt cool (moan,moan!)...

1 Flower festival Great Harwood church
2 Harpist in Malcesine, Lake Garda
3 Nicoḷ Fabi live in Cremona
4 Caledonia -live in Edinburgh
5 Fringe players singing -Edinburgh
6 Piper's -Edinburgh Castel - Tattoo 2010
7 Bell -war memorial Sirmione, Lake Garda
8 Fringe players Edinburgh - young violinists
9 Flower festival Great Harwood church
10 Brass band in the street - Malcesine, Lake Garda

:hothothot:

maxthecollie 24-08-2012 15:46

10 Attachment(s)
Walkies today on the banks of the Lancaster Canal near Garstang
Attachment 24206 Attachment 24207 Attachment 24208 Attachment 24209 Attachment 24210 Attachment 24211 Attachment 24212 Attachment 24213 Attachment 24214 Attachment 24215

susie123 24-08-2012 19:23

10 Attachment(s)
Some more statues - very touristy - plus some cloud pics from earlier today. The first four are in Florence, the next three in France, the last three at home.

1 Cosimo de Medici I on horseback
2 The Neptune fountain, the Marzocco lion symbol of Florence and Cosimo in the background
3 Perseus with the head of Medusa
4 Il Porcellino bronze boar fountain in the market - it's supposed to be lucky - if you touch its snout you will return to Florence
5 Not a statue but a monument, Cross of Lorraine - to Charles de Gaulle at his home village of Colombey-les-Deux-Eglises
6 The Alsace - Lorraine monument at the Clearing of the Armistice, Forest of Compiegne. A very moving site
7 Marshal Foch statue, at the same site Glade of the Armistice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
8 - 10 The sky this morning in Morecambe

Sorry - cockup on the uploading front - the Neptune pic is no 10...

mobertol 25-08-2012 11:19

10 Attachment(s)
Windows...

1 View from dis-used summerhouse window - Lowther Castle
2 The Chemist's shop -Gargnano, Lake Garda
3 Fisherman's dwelling -El Puertito Tenerife
4 Cottage window, Slaidburn
5 University Botanical Gardens, Bologna
6 Bolton Abbey ruins
7 Skipton canal
8 The Arcade, Accrington
9 Moorish-style windows, Verona
10 Pub in Near Sawrey, Lake District.

susie123 25-08-2012 13:14

10 Attachment(s)
Still on the subject of statues - thought you might like to see how a chainsaw carver created the statues in the old cemetery behind our house...

1 Before we begin... the carver and the two cemetery bods from the council in conversation. Taken from my bedroom window, April 2010
2 The first cut
3 Showing both elm trunks
4 A fisherman emerges...
5 Seen from behind
6 Almost there
7 Finishing touches
8 Here he is
9 Three fishes - the logo of Poulton-le-Sands, our neighbourhood, the original fishing village which became Morecambe
10 Finished back view

To be continued...

maxthecollie 25-08-2012 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1010552)
Still on the subject of statues - thought you might like to see how a chainsaw carver created the statues in the old cemetery behind our house...

1 Before we begin... the carver and the two cemetery bods from the council in conversation. Taken from my bedroom window, April 2010
2 The first cut
4 A fisherman emerges...
5 Seen from behind
6 Almost there
7 Finishing touches
8 Here he is
9 Three fishes - the logo of Poulton-le-Sands, our neighbourhood, the original fishing village which became Morecambe
10 Finished back view

To be continued...

What an artist!

susie123 25-08-2012 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1010557)
What an artist!

Yes... and not of the p i s s or con kind! Look at his website:

thetimburgess

He does a lot of wizards - which is why the fisherman looks a bit like Gandalf in a sou'wester!

maxthecollie 25-08-2012 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1010561)
Yes... and not of the p i s s or con kind! Look at his website:

thetimburgess

He does a lot of wizards - which is why the fisherman looks a bit like Gandalf in a sou'wester!

Fantastic how anyone with such a crude instrument as a chainsaw can create such wonders.

Gremlin 25-08-2012 19:16

1 Attachment(s)
I used to collect sawdust for the farm from Catermole's wood yard at the top of Simonstone and there was a chap carving a big lion with a chain saw. The end result was fantastic.

I bought a new macro lens today and can't wait to try it out properly.
I took a photo of a wingy thingy on the patio door but as it was raining hard I had to take it though the glass. No where near as good as Davemacs photos but it's a start.

susie123 25-08-2012 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1010588)
Fantastic how anyone with such a crude instrument as a chainsaw can create such wonders.

He has a little sander as well... which you may see in tomorrow's pictures.

davemac 25-08-2012 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1010552)

2 The first cut
4 A fisherman emerges...
5 Seen from behind
6 Almost there
7 Finishing touches
8 Here he is
10 Finished back view

To be continued...

thanks for that group, I have never seen how they do that. I have used a chainsaw and know how difficult it is to cut a straight line, so to do carvings is a skill and I wish there was more of it.

davemac 25-08-2012 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1010600)
I used to collect sawdust for the farm from Catermole's wood yard at the top of Simonstone and there was a chap carving a big lion with a chain saw. The end result was fantastic.

I bought a new macro lens today and can't wait to try it out properly.
I took a photo of a wingy thingy on the patio door but as it was raining hard I had to take it though the glass. No where near as good as Davemacs photos but it's a start.

Glad you have got a macro, ( is it a dedicated macro or a stepping ring?) the hard part if finding the little critters in the first place, then getting then to stand still, after that its plain sailing.
Good luck in the search and await your pictures, the hardest part for me is getting down on my hands and knees, and then trying to get up again.

davemac 25-08-2012 21:41

10 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, a motion in moistness, or stupidity on a Saturday, or if I had an hapeth of sense I would have stopped home (you get the gist ).

1. The bottom of Birdy Brow.
2. This gives you some idea how wet it is.
3. A nice pink fungus on a pine log.
4. An old section on the way up.
5. You can just see the clouds rolling in.
6. A furry wall.
7. A peak from the peak, the clouds are scraping the hills.
8. I'll do myself a mischief going over there.
9. A fungi bursting out of a dead pine tree trunk.
10. And just to give you some idea of how wet we were, we have to get in the car in this condition.