Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

maxthecollie 30-07-2014 16:39

Re: Today in pictures

10 Attachment(s)
A stroll around Entwistle Reservoir today with a mixture of shots.
Attachment 43047Attachment 43048Attachment 43049Attachment 43050Attachment 43051Attachment 43052Attachment 43053Attachment 43054Attachment 43055Attachment 43056
The Reservoir is very low as you can see from the shots of the birds on a low wall in the middle of the res.Number 3 is a mechanical one for Russell

Gremlin 30-07-2014 16:40

Thanks Frank, I enjoyed today.
Plenty more to come, it's deciding which ones so there is a bit of variety.

Gremlin 31-07-2014 07:11

Where is Entwistle reservoir Frank?
There are lots of photos on the forum naming places locally I have never heard of.
Maybe you have to leg it to see them.
Keep em coming anyway.
X

Accyexplorer 31-07-2014 07:26

9 Attachment(s)
I'm sure most of you are aware of the wet weather we're experiencing, anyway,here are a few wet ones (mainly using the macro setting) :)
Attachment 43057Attachment 43058Attachment 43059Attachment 43060Attachment 43061Attachment 43062Attachment 43063Attachment 43064Attachment 43065

Gremlin 31-07-2014 08:20

8 Attachment(s)
More from my visit to my old playground.

No. 1 The little village school I attemded from 3 Y/O until I passed my eleven plus, Sir John Cockroft was educated there long before me, he lived close by and his family owned the local cotton mill.
No. 2 The wickets were still painted on the wall, they were there when I started in 1942, no gates or fences though, left handers couldn't be caught behind wicket. There is a grave just behind the nearest tree belonging to a local family who's son was killed at Rouke's Drift and his name is on the stone.
No.3 The local woods, notice how far I have walked. I excelled myself.
No. 4 It wouldn't be me if I didn't get a photo with something mechanical in it.
No.5 The pipe line in the background fed the boiler for Cockrofts mill from Copthurst dam, we used to shuffle across on our bottoms and when we got brave enough we would walk on it.
No. 6 Taken from the other side of the valley, the woods in the middle are where I took the last photo.
No. 7 Walsden water with the white cottage Margaret P used to visit in her younger days. The river was the original border between Lancashire and Yorkshire until 1889. Margaret's aunty's house is in Yorkshire, the river runs under a few houses and joins the Calder in Todmorden when once again the river was the boundary. I lived close by but by then it was all Yorkshire, the boundary shares the same boundary as the Borough of Todmorden,

No. 8, The last time I went up that lane I was riding a Triumph motorcycle sat backwards on the saddle. It was a favourite pastime for the local nutters ( I said it) They built a new road to by pass it many years ago and that is where I took the photo of the lorry.

I have a few more for later which I can post if the pants haven't already been bored off you.

ps, you may notice the electricity cables over head in some photos. It is still a novelty for the locals. They are still a bit wary of the TV, thinking maybe the people on the screen can see them. They always turn it off when they get undressed. I never had a TV when I lived there.

maxthecollie 31-07-2014 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1111766)
Where is Entwistle reservoir Frank?
There are lots of photos on the forum naming places locally I have never heard of.
Maybe you have to leg it to see them.
Keep em coming anyway.
X

It is between Darwen and Bolton, off Green Arms Road. There are two car parks. One is free wher you have to walk down steps to the res and the other is £1 for two hours , but it is all level to the res.

Accyexplorer 31-07-2014 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1111771)
There are two car parks. One is free wher you have to walk down steps to the res and the other is £1 for two hours , but it is all level to the res.

I prefere to see the ticket machines with a 'out of order' sign on them.
Never been one for paying councils money for property that's publicly owned :eek:

maxthecollie 31-07-2014 09:32

Someone had set fire to the pay machine, it was out of order for about 6 months ,then the water board found out they were losing money

Accyexplorer 31-07-2014 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1111776)
Someone had set fire to the pay machine, it was out of order for about 6 months ,then the water board found out they were losing money

As much as I frown upon 'criminal behaviour' in this case the person(s) responsible get a thumbs up from me.
I believe councils want to make them card only machines in a bid to make them less of a target.

gpick24 31-07-2014 10:11

Never been to Entwistle Res, but a few of the places I`ve been have honesty boxes for car parking which pays for the upkeep of the toilets etc.

gpick24 31-07-2014 10:21

5 Attachment(s)
A few from over the past few days

Accyexplorer 31-07-2014 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1111781)
Never been to Entwistle Res, but a few of the places I`ve been have honesty boxes for car parking which pays for the upkeep of the toilets etc.

Unfortunately g, I don't think "honesty boxes" are as effective as they once were.
Perhaps if they put a sign up telling car park users what their money will be used for (toilets etc) then more people would be incline to contribute :confused:

gpick24 31-07-2014 10:51

The one i`ve been to a few times (Barley Green) does tell you that the money collected goes to the upkeep of the toilets. No doubt there will be plenty who don`t put there money in, but it`s probably unlikely to get set on fire.

maxthecollie 31-07-2014 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1111781)

The toilets at Entwistle are called by a different name "Bushes"

Accyexplorer 31-07-2014 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1111784)
No doubt there will be plenty who don`t put there money in

Maybe they just struggle reading the sign g.....

......Conjunctivitis.com - now that's a site for sore eyes :D