Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

gpick24 01-08-2014 08:02

Re: Today in pictures

If I lived in Whalley, or Barley Green for example, I wouldn`t want my council tax paying for the upkeep of a car park that is mainly for the use of people from out of town.

davemac 01-08-2014 08:53

There are three places due for ticket machines, I can't remember the third but two are Spring Wood and Wycoller.
This site and others are maintained by Lancashire County Council, plus volunteer groups, I already pay my dues and demands to L.C.C. for the maintenance of these things and the element is added to my council tax to be able to support all the projects they undertake.
So the question is do they have a right to add an extra levy to the people who support these facilities, having already paid. We are already taxed three times on our purchases, is this not another way to tax us into submission. For example I pay tax on my income, then I pay VAT when I buy diesel for the car, and the price of diesel has an element of fuel tax that determines the price, I pay Road tax to be able to have my vehicle on the road, now when I want to take some leisure time and get away from the hustle and bustle I am then taxed again to to leave my car in designated areas.
I for one do not think this is acceptable, and to repeat what I said originally, if this machine is installed I will no longer frequent this facility that already belongs to the public, as this is the only protest that I am able to make.
A side issue, a man makes a living selling tutti frutties from this area, his living is placed in peril if people stay away from the car park, has this man been given any consideration?

found it http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/pay-...pots-1-6737237

gpick24 01-08-2014 09:07

A bit of info here -
Fears over parking fee at East Lancashire beauty spots (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Accyexplorer 01-08-2014 09:10

I remember, many moons back on one occasion someone seen me at the ticket machine and pulled up offering me their ticket which still had a hour or so left on it.
Nowadays I try to do the same for others (even if that means sticking my ticket to the ticket machine), Of course, this only works if it's the pay when you park system and not one of the pay when you go out at the barrier systems.
I'd rather get the money in copper change and skim them across the Res,pond etc than pay LCC.

Gremlin 01-08-2014 09:26

2 Attachment(s)
Back to the subject in the title before the mods get annoyed.

Then I am going for a lunch time pint and sandwich in my old local at Walden.

mobertol 01-08-2014 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1111848)
There are three places due for ticket machines, I can't remember the third but two are Spring Wood and Wycoller.
This site and others are maintained by Lancashire County Council, plus volunteer groups, I already pay my dues and demands to L.C.C. for the maintenance of these things and the element is added to my council tax to be able to support all the projects they undertake.
So the question is do they have a right to add an extra levy to the people who support these facilities, having already paid. We are already taxed three times on our purchases, is this not another way to tax us into submission. For example I pay tax on my income, then I pay VAT when I buy diesel for the car, and the price of diesel has an element of fuel tax that determines the price, I pay Road tax to be able to have my vehicle on the road, now when I want to take some leisure time and get away from the hustle and bustle I am then taxed again to to leave my car in designated areas.
I for one do not think this is acceptable, and to repeat what I said originally, if this machine is installed I will no longer frequent this facility that already belongs to the public, as this is the only protest that I am able to make.
A side issue, a man makes a living selling tutti frutties from this area, his living is placed in peril if people stay away from the car park, has this man been given any consideration?

found it Pay and display plan for Lancashire beauty spots - Lancashire Evening Post

Couldn't have put it better myself - charging folk a pound to park in a public area and then proposing to spend millions on a new bus station in Accrington - how does LCC work that one out?

mobertol 01-08-2014 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1111854)

We aren't really off subject Russell, we're talking photo territory here ;)

Pub sounds nice - enjoy your lunch out!

maxthecollie 01-08-2014 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1111854)

Sounds like a good idea

Margaret Pilkington 01-08-2014 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1111847)
If I lived in Whalley, or Barley Green for example, I wouldn`t want my council tax paying for the upkeep of a car park that is mainly for the use of people from out of town.

Why Not?
The people who come in from out of town will often bring trade and business into those places(boosting the local economy). They may go and enjoy a pub lunch or visit somewhere that sells stuff produced locally........when places charge exorbitant fees, so that people from out of town have to pay, then sometimes it will put those people off.

Also these charges aren't just taken from the people from out of town, they are taken from everyone...including locals.
It seems to me that councils think that the driver is a very handy form of getting extra cash for their coffers.

Dave, do you have a bus pass? If so then you can still visit Cut Wood Park by getting on the bus.......it is free as long as you don't go before 9.30...and if you did want to go earlier, it is still only 50p.

Gremlin 01-08-2014 10:09

3 Attachment(s)
That pub was built before the railway and was right in the path of the forthcoming construction of the bridge.
It was pulled down and rebuilt before 1842 and is very much the same today, apart from moving the communal loo outside to separate facilities for him and her indoors.
I still like to listen to the song "Four in the morning" sung by Faron Young which the landlady played when she wanted us out, usually at 4AM.

Picture number 2 is the little lane I walked up and down to school every weekday and Sunday morning for Church.
No. 3 That's the road that led to the lane.
By the looks if the over grown lane it seems the kids from the hills will be taken to and from the school in motor vehicles in this modern age.

The 2 and 3 were taken where the road ends and the lane starts, just enough room to turn my car around, you don't think I walked up there, did you?

gpick24 01-08-2014 10:13

If it was town centre car parks then i`d agree with you Margaret, but when it`s more isolated like the car parks here, then I don`t think the visitors will bring that much income into the local economy (except previously mentioned ice cream van)
I didn`t expect to get many agreeing with me, and don`t want to get into a heavy debate about it, it`s just my take on it. I keep a few pound coins in the car for car parks, if I don`t need them then that`s a bonus, but if I do then I`m OK with paying it.
I certainly wouldn`t miss out on going to places I like for the sake of a pound.

Margaret Pilkington 01-08-2014 10:21

I am not getting at you because of course you are entitled to your opinion and to voice that...just pointing out that these charges affect everyone... Although a pound may not seem very much, what Dave has said is true. We already pay for these areas through local taxes...and what starts off at a pound very often doesn't stay at a pound.

Places like Whalley and Barley and rural places like them, do depend on people coming in and spending money...even if it is only an ice cream or a cup of tea and a sticky bun.

Margaret Pilkington 01-08-2014 10:37

1 Attachment(s)
I think this might be Toby Toad.(unless he is Freddy Frog)
I was walking up to see Ma this morning and he was on the path in front of me......he was very dozy and needed me to prod him(very gently) with the toe of my sandal a couple of times before he hopped off to the safety ofr the long grass.
Had he stayed where he was, he would have been walked on.

Gremlin 01-08-2014 10:52

Looks like he is too well fed to hop far Margaret. Have you been feeding him custard pies or are they only for me?

gpick24 01-08-2014 11:31

Frogs have smooth skin, so i`d say it`s Toby Toad.