Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

Eric 13-10-2014 12:12

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1120742)
Prices can be crazy Eric, I was looking for a second hand lens when I saw this.:eek:

Ouch.

Gremlin 13-10-2014 13:00

And another ouch.
Must be a very wealthy peeping Tom who buys it.
It needs a wheelbarrow to cart it around so the peeper is not going to go unseen.

gpick24 13-10-2014 13:09

A video of the beast in action, if only i`d bought Canon instead of Sony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8vzeT4MeI

Margaret Pilkington 13-10-2014 13:24

I would need a Sherpa to carry that around for me.
It isn't something that an enthusiast could justify buying......you would have to be in the photograph business full time to justify that.
Eric, I can identify very strongly with your Lancashire thrift mentality.
I am the eldest of seven children, whereas himself is the youngest of three children.
He has never wanted for much in his life and cannot understand my thriftiness.

gpick24 13-10-2014 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1120743)

Those pics have plenty of detail, but a few minor adjustments would improve them a lot. For example, the cat especially is a nice photo but just slightly over exposed, the white fur is too bright and detail in that part of the photo is lost, a slightly faster shutter speed, higher f-stop or lower iso and it would have been spot on (still no exif so can`t see your settings).

Turtle 13-10-2014 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1120661)
Took my cab out for the graveyard shift ... the guys who usually drive it are off for Thanksgiving .... Happy Thanksgiving by the by:D. I actually remembered to toss my camera into the glove compartment and took these. A few of the Alexander Henry (it's the big red thingy with "Alexander Henry" written on it.;)) Used to be a coast guard ship, but is now part of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes, and is also a bed and breakfast. Then there are a couple of plants. The Turneresque one is the sun coming thru the morning mist on Lake Ontario ... it was a cool one last nite; so, there was a lot of mist around on the lake and in the low-lying marshy areas.

Nice shots Eric - number 6 especially:)

Turtle 13-10-2014 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1120671)
Attachment 45036 Attachment 45037 Attachment 45038 Attachment 45039

We went up Crown point this morning. I only took my olympus pocket camera , so didn't take so many pics

Really nice shots! I agree with Margaret in that it shouldn't matter what equipment we have. It's all in the eye, and taking advantage of good photo opportunities :)

Turtle 13-10-2014 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1120674)

3 and 4 had me gobsmacked :)

Turtle 13-10-2014 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1120690)
Today in Pictures is another of those yesterday in pictures posted today. A small mooch through the Dunkenhalgh Estate.

1. It was a cloudy, but still day, the silence only broken by the farmer mowing the field we were in.
2. This is Mill Woods, over the tree tops is the reservoir you can see from the road.(Hermitage Street)
3. Still Mill Woods, with the River Hyndburn meandering to the weir.
4. Its one of those pesky photographers.
5. Standing where the group were in the previous snap, looking back where the first pesky photographer was snapping the second pesky photographer.
6. Wading back to the shore, this is the same view but a tighter crop.
7. Devils Bridge.
8. The Dunkenhalgh Hotel is off to the right and up the hill.
9. Just a bit further along the wet bit.
10. Finally, a shot with my back to Devils Bridge.

Number 1 is gorgeous :)

Turtle 13-10-2014 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1120706)
My husband's heart is in the shape of an acer leaf - he's thinking of coming over to Canada for the Royal Winter Fair again in November...

That is so close to me - I've been to the Royal many times! Are you coming too Dianne? (Said Turtle hopefully)

Turtle 13-10-2014 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1120789)
Those pics have plenty of detail, but a few minor adjustments would improve them a lot. For example, the cat especially is a nice photo but just slightly over exposed, the white fur is too bright and detail in that part of the photo is lost, a slightly faster shutter speed, higher f-stop or lower iso and it would have been spot on (still no exif so can`t see your settings).

Tips like this are welcome - thanks gpick :)

davemac 13-10-2014 21:31

10 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, Underneath the arches.

1. Martholme Lane, with a view over to Pendle Hill.
2. Once the tree gave out oxygen, now it feeds the fungi.
3. The bench installed in memory of Adrian Shurmer.
4. LISTEN........carefully......you can just hear the sound of a steam train from long ago.
5. And that's what they travelled on, sleepers, with rails as well, or it would have been very bumpy.
6. Then, once upon a time people travelled over that as well.
7. The River Calder as it leaves the viaduct behind.
8. I feel like Flanagan and Allen...........underneath the arches.
9. Martholme Viaduct, construction started in 1870 and finished in 1877, it has 10 arches that span the River Calder each span is 40 feet wide and the viaduct itself is 65 feet high, it is now a grade 2 listed building.
10. Now the walk back up the lane to the car, and a last look across to Pendle.

Margaret Pilkington 13-10-2014 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1120789)

I rarely analyse pictures....either my own or anyone else's.
My motive for taking pictures is to capture the essence of that moment...to be relived again at some point in the future.

I take pictures from my heart.........I don't often consider the technicalities of a shot.
Maybe this is because my knowledge of the technicalities is pretty slim.
I know what I like though.......and even those pictures that could not be called technically skilled, have their own charm.....and they still have something to tell.

I would hate for anyone to be inhibited from taking shots because they felt they hadn't got the technicalities right.

That said, I too, am grateful for any hints and tips........and I have really had fun today with the DSLR simulator.........thank you G for putting that on here.

Turtle 13-10-2014 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1120749)
I would need a Sherpa to carry that around for me.
It isn't something that an enthusiast could justify buying......you would have to be in the photograph business full time to justify that.
Eric, I can identify very strongly with your Lancashire thrift mentality.
I am the eldest of seven children, whereas himself is the youngest of three children.
He has never wanted for much in his life and cannot understand my thriftiness.

Birth order and circumstance make a difference, it's true. But we are all here doing the best we can. I really like your new 'tag line' Margaret ('Always be a little kinder...') it's something I have to remind myself of frequently.

Turtle 13-10-2014 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1120798)
Today in Pictures, Underneath the arches.

1. Martholme Lane, with a view over to Pendle Hill.
2. Once the tree gave out oxygen, now it feeds the fungi.
3. The bench installed in memory of Adrian Shurmer.
4. LISTEN........carefully......you can just hear the sound of a steam train from long ago.
5. And that's what they travelled on, sleepers, with rails as well, or it would have been very bumpy.
6. Then, once upon a time people travelled over that as well.
7. The River Calder as it leaves the viaduct behind.
8. I feel like Flanagan and Allen...........underneath the arches.
9. Martholme Viaduct, construction started in 1870 and finished in 1877, it has 10 arches that span the River Calder each span is 40 feet wide and the viaduct itself is 65 feet high, it is now a grade 2 listed building.
10. Now the walk back up the lane to the car, and a last look across to Pendle.

Beautifully shot. What a fine thing you started here with this thread, Davemac. So many people from all over the globe, inspired to see their world a little differently, and share it with others :)