Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 10:42   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Poor Gates

Again I'm not complaining, but money is tight for a lot of people on a limited budget, or with finacial commitments. Of course it is a lot cheaper for a family to come and see Stanley than to go to a theme park, but you don't go there week in week out, and that's what the club needs fans to do.

The club is lucky in the fact that it has a very committed hardcore of fans who will be there rain or shine, win or loose, sadly the fair weather fans are more fickle.

From a business point of view, unless there was maximum attendance, I would be looking at ticket pricing and packages. A weekly family ticket is a great idea, bearing in mind that it doesn't have to be a Mum and a Dad, but just two adults and a given number of children.

Again I'm not critising anybody, but my job in London was to raise the profile of the fashion company I was working for on a minimum or non existant budget, so I know it can be done, but the profile of the club needs perhaps to be raised, and not just in the back pages of the Observer. I would perhaps be trying to get the press to do a main feature on our new international Romuald Boco's take on playing in Accrington, I would also be onto the press, including tv, trying to get them to do a feature on the forth coming cheer leaders.

We are lucky, we have a famous name, lots of people who don't even follow football know our name, even if it is only because of that bloody milk advert!

Yesterday was a great day, perfect weather, a good match, and three points. Lets hope we can build on this, and hopefully see a bigger attendance soon.

To anybody who is reading this who doesn't go to support the team, as a new fan myself, it is a great afternoon out, and worth the money just to listen to the Ultras and their sometimes very witty repartee.

If I can perhaps help in anyway with the skills I have gleaned working in Google Page Ranking, I would be more than happy to.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2005, 11:01   #17
I am Banned

Doing some market research why lack of attendance when the attendance is gr8 not just here but at the ground or around locals, so that the club can aim at its weaker levels

Just a thought
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 13:45   #18
Super Moderator

I don't know the inside story, but I would imagine that the club has experienced a considerable increase in costs, with the transition from part-time to full-time status, so surely a £2 increase is justified? In my opinion, reverting to the £10 admission charge won't bring back the missing hundreds. However, I agree that the club could do more in terms of budget family packages.

Like every other die-hard, I'm fervently hoping that yesterday's result is the start of a consistently successful run that will attract the casual fans back to the fold!
Old 04-09-2005, 14:04   #19
Full Member+

We've had this discussion many times and many ideas have been raised, particularly getting younger people into the ground. The club has shown a willingness to take on our ideas such as the free kids ticket if they attended a Stanley soccer school. But lots more needs to be done such as family tickets or mini-season tickets or free tickets distributed to a different local school each week. The cost of running a football game are virtually no different if there are 1,000 people attending or 2,000 so the income from any 'new' attendees because such promotions would be pure profit. Plus it would add to the atmosphere of the place.

There is really only one good reason why the club would not want to be more aggressive in offering free or discounted tickets and that is it would make buying season tickets less attractive in terms of the savings that they offer over buying a ticket at each game. But it is something that needs to be studied and attempted, even if on just a trial basis.

And as for the Clayton End roof, whatever the projected impact upon attendances or crowd atmosphere, it has become a Google Page Ranking embarrassment.

Another good FA Cup run is the best remedy for our attendances, but there is a lot that the club can do in the meantime.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 14:13   #20
Senior Member+

Just an idea,next week FCUoM are letting all under 18s in to Gigg Lane free of charge probably because of the Manchester derby.Do you not think doing something like that may help out at the Interlink or has this already been tried?
Old 04-09-2005, 14:15   #21
Senior Member+

I doubt that will happen mthead, because thats only boosting our attendance....no money is coming in through the turnstiles from it.... maybe Under12's free if they are accompanied with a paying adult is a good idea??
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 14:22   #22
God Member

The concept of letting kids in for free is to give them a taste and hopefully they will come back on a semi or regular basis... so no money made on the day but in the long run.......

FCUoM might be in for the same shock we had when we did try something simmilar.... It was a nightmare with gangs of kids of all ages roaming the place.. running about and causing all manner of headaches.... free kids with an adult is a better idea...
Old 04-09-2005, 14:35   #23
Senior Member+

Oh dear!!!! Never thought of it like that.They dont have to be accompanied neither,they were handing fliers out yesterday at the game and ive just re-read it.Hopefully it goes ok though.They are also giving free pin badges to the kids who have season tickets to,to compensate for them already having paid for game.
Old 04-09-2005, 15:04   #24

Theres a guy managing a bunch of part timers called Algarve Utd who I think would solve the problem immediately.

Dont know how long he plans staying over there but the lure of the english league and a pro club could be tempting??

Or maybe im mad??
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 15:29   #25
Super Moderator

Gazza??!!

Yep...you're mad!
Old 04-09-2005, 15:35   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staveros
Compound that with selling your two best players over the summer and apathy amongst people like me couldn't be any worse.

Someone says Roberts is as good as Rory, I couldn't comment on that ive not seen enough of him. The point is though he should be complimenting Rory, not replacing him. One step forwards two steps back.
Err tell me, how would you go about stopping two players leaving for league clubs?? Its like being head hunted for alot more money and higher profile and saying no I'll stay where I am thanks!! Also from the clubs point of view if you are offered a decent (albeit undisclosed) fee for them. How can they turn it down? It happens all the time in football. I would also like to think that we have made some pretty nifty signings too.

I like the idea of the family ticket or child free with paying adult. If putting season ticket holders noses out of joint is stopping them then there could be an incentive to them re: cup matches. But all in all if the attendance is boosted us "die hard" fans would just be happy for the club

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 15:44   #27
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Poor Gates

I went to the match yesterday & I must say my heart sank when I saw the gate - despite everything being positive, weather, time, new transfers in etc less than a thousand attend. It must be very disheartening for Eric & his management team who I am sure will have given much consideration to all the foregoing suggestions & more many times over. We can support him & the club by making sure we are there in support & bring someone along with us if we can - I know this is not a new thought. I did think it was an excellent game yesterday with some skillful touches from Craney & Roberts particularly & there are real signs that the team is beginning to gel together really well. It was a comfortable win - more so than the scoreline suggests. There are a lot of positives about the club - if only the gate would reflect the progress made over the last few years! Then we'd all be happy!!
tommybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 17:41   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
I like the idea of the family ticket or child free with paying adult. If putting season ticket holders noses out of joint is stopping them then there could be an incentive to them re: cup matches. But all in all if the attendance is boosted us "die hard" fans would just be happy for the club
Agreed...really think the club should give some serious consideration to this.

And Tommybrook's right...let's each and every one of us die-hards try to make a "convert" this season. I know "bring a friend" has become a cliche, but let's all try to do it!

But, most of all, I hope that on-field events will start to lift the gates of their own accord. Bring on Mr Boco!
Old 04-09-2005, 17:46   #29
God Member

Trouble is... most of us on this MB (apart from exiles) went to the game and go to most if not all games..... so unless we are preaching to the converted... who are we talking to ?
Old 04-09-2005, 17:54   #30
Super Moderator

I would've thought the most of us know people - friends, relatives, neighbours, workmates, regulars in our local -who are interested in football to a greater or lesser extent, but don't come on the Stanley. I've managed to make a convert and I live in Stockport!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 04-09-2005 at 17:56. Reason: Dyslexia rules KO!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..