Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 14:52   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Poor Gates

Is it just me.....

or do I really not give a stuff in all honesty, whether another 500 fairweather non Accy Stanley come on? Although I was disappointed by the gate I am only disappointed because I know that people like Eric, Rob etc thrive on how many come through!

As far as 22 people kicking a footie around, the beautiful game, the atmosphere, the matchday experience, I am happy that the "die hards" where there.....

We have still progressed SO much in a very short space of time, yet we still demand instant success, big name signings, cordon bleu cuisine, 40 bar staff! Jesus, its Accy Stanley! My quaint little non league team that can stay in the confernce as far as I am concerned for 40 years. There is too much sponsorship & business accumen attachjed to what used to be a pleasureble sport. Too much talk about revenue, men in suits, budgets, attendances, balance sheets, player wages arrrrgh enough already! This ain't BRFC!

Remember, how far we have come, keep spreading the word, keeping winning the games & it will all fall into place...... ( )

STANLEY TILL I DIE!
ASFC Benin Ultras

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2005, 15:07   #62
Super Moderator

Could not disagree with you more. It's not Eric or Rob who thrive on the gates, it's the CLUB! Bigger gates means more revenue for quality players. And don't forget there'a salary cap based on a percentage of turnover.

I don't want to be a "quaint little non-league club" and I don't want to be in the conference for the next 40 years. I'll be pushing up daisies by then anyway! But before I do, I want to see Stanley back in the lower divisions of the football league as a strong, thriving, yet still grassroots club!
Old 05-09-2005, 15:12   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Not entirely true. The conference is the body that requests a minimum admission charge which I believe is £10.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sorry but you are wrong. That information came directly from the mouth of both Eric & Frank also repeated it to me on Saturday when discussing low gates.
Rather than deal in hearsay, rumour or conjecture I sent the following e-mail to The Conference:

On the Accrington Stanley Web Forum a discussion is taking
place regarding attendance levels. Of course one of the reasons cited is the
admission charge, included is a post from the discussion: "The
conference is the body that requests a minimum admission charge which I
believe is £10."
I wonder if you could be so kind as to verify the accuracy
of this statement.

I received the following reply half an hour ago:

Thank you for your email, I have passed it on to someone who should be able
to assist you.

Joanna Adams

The Football Conference Ltd

51 Highfield Road

Dartford

Kent

DA1 2JS

When the answer arrives I will, of course, post it.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:13   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Could not disagree with you more. It's not Eric or Rob who thrive on the gates, it's the CLUB! Bigger gates means more revenue for quality players. And don't forget there'a salary cap based on a percentage of turnover.

I don't want to be a "quaint little non-league club" and I don't want to be in the conference for the next 40 years. I'll be pushing up daisies by then anyway! But before I do, I want to see Stanley back in the lower divisions of the football league as a strong, thriving, yet still grassroots club!
Salary cap!!!! You're having a laff! Seriously, tell the Champions Elect Grays Athletic that!

& more money means more journeymen full time footballers on our books.... I am being romantic but the lure for cash & turnover somehow takes the magic away! Just look at the Premiership !!!!!

Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree

Jase

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 05-09-2005, 15:18   #65
Full Member+

I don't think anyone from the Club has said that £12 is the minimum admission charge. Please point me to the correct post if I am incorrect.

The decision over ticket pricing has been, as far as I can remember, to base our ticket prices on the average for the Conference. That is a business decision by the club, not a Conference diktat.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:19   #66
Super Moderator

OK, fair enough, mate. Both Stanley-Til-Die, but in different ways, I suppose.
Old 05-09-2005, 15:26   #67

The naivety of some of you is astounding.

You just can't seem to get it through that the people you NEED to boost the attendances dont think like you.

Im the same as the other lad, im an Evertonian, I have had a season ticket there for the last 11 years and used to go to most aways as well.

Its only the last few years ive cut back on the aways, hence I started having spare weekend to come to Stanley.

I started coming in the Unibond promotion season, which was awesome, and then continued into the conference. The first season, again, was awesome.

Since then though I have lost interest.

The prices have risen dramatically but more importantly the football hasn't progressed, in fact last season I felt it went backwards.

I came to 4 or 5 games last year and left distinctly unimpressed after all of them. maybe I got unlucky, I dont know??

He is right about the service in the bar as well, its horrendous. I had taken to getting in 10 minutes before half time just to get served but on one occasion the football was so bad I didnt bother coming out for the second half i just watched the tele instead.

The rubbish teles might I add. That was another bone of contention I had in the past, supporters providing teles, eh?? Whats that all about??

I think last time I was in a widescreen had arrived(5 years behind the times) which was at least some improvement.

Seriously though, would THE CLUB getting a couple of 42" Plasmas be a ridiculous suggestion?? You can get a pair for £1500 nowadays, then claim the VAT back of course. Not much more than a grand all in, hardly a bank breaker is it??

Besides, Im sure if you contact some of the local TV stores ie Panasonic or Harry Garlick that they would do a deal, say 500 quid and an advertisement or summet??

Anyway, im going off the main point now.

The main point is that it is what happens ON the pitch that matters.

They may well have been great on Saturday but I didnt see it because I wasn't there. I wasn't there because last season when I came I didn't feel it was value for money.

If I were involved with the club I would have recognised the problem over the summer and acted upon it in a realistic manner.

To me, ticket deals and word of mouth is futile. It wont work. It hasn't worked at Blackburn and it certainly wont work at Stanley.

What was needed in the summer was a big news story, the signing of a big name player. Even if it were a journyman pro, just someone to capture the imagination, to get people down to the game to see what all the fuss is about.

Didn't happen though, in fact quite the opposite. the club sold its two best players.

A more certain recipie for disaster I never have seen.

Thats gone now though, we must look forward. Where are we then??

Well, the way I see it is this...there are two possible solutions.

1. hope and pray that the team plays well over the coming months and can hold a place in the top 4 say approaching Christmas. I think then people will be interested to see whats happening and come back.

2. Sign the 'big name'. Be it a league player having troubles or a journeyman coming to the end, just someone who will make the news and get people down to have a look.

The worst missed opportunity of all time must have been when they let Payton pass. Madness.

I hear they were worried about his attitude yada yada. Say what?? Football is a business now, big business. Not to tell Eric how to suck his eggs but he would have been a cash camel. I was excited at the prospect of getting him and im not even a claret!! The crowds would have increased sizeably IMO.

At the end of the day, is it that important if these signings work out?? The way I see it is you want to raise the gates, they will do that. If it means 'carrying' a player for a little while then my business logic would say 'lets give it a go'.

Once you have people at the ground then you have your chance to 'hook' them. until you get them there your chance is zero. Its a no brainer for me.

Everyone knows that the lower league clubs are struggling money wise, Stanley should be far more stable than some of them. Surely we could tempt some of their players away with a decent offer?? Theres nothing between the conference and the next few leagues up really is there?? Money talks at the end of the day, it would certainly create a buzz.

Like I said previously, im just being realistic.

If none of these things happen nothing will change, I guarantee it, so then you have to ask ,where are we going'?

I jumped on the bandwagon, as did planty of others. Its time to get it rolling again.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:28   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red
That is a business decision by the club, not a Conference diktat.
Exactly what this thread is about. If it IS a business decision rather than a Conference dictat, it is in the clubs hands to do something about it.
Stanleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:31   #69
God Member

Received 5 minutes ago. From the horses mouth:

The Rule regarding admission charges is clear for Football Conference
Fixtures.

The minimum charge is £7.00 with clubs allowed to set concessions for
juniors (16 and under) and Senior Citizens.

Admission Charges club membership concessions must be the same for home and
away fans.

John Moules

Operations Director

The Football Conference Ltd

51 Highfield Road

Dartford

Kent

DA1 2JS

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:32   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Everyone knows that the lower league clubs are struggling money wise, Stanley should be far more stable than some of them. Surely we could tempt some of their players away with a decent offer?? Theres nothing between the conference and the next few leagues up really is there?? Money talks at the end of the day, it would certainly create a buzz.
Why???????????

God its depressing reading this lark, Remember Accrington 2-1 Woking, be happy.....
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:37   #71
God Member

We won on sat... we should beat harwood and lift the VMI trophy and then if we beat burton away we come back to the IES to face Crawley on a good run

If the gate is about the 1k mark then thats that...its our level for this season... we just have to live wiht it and those of us who do go.. enjoy it.... for those that find better uses for there money then good luck to them...

The people of accy know the club is here.. they know football is usually on a saturday.. you cant force them to come.. they have to want to come... if they dont turn up when we are winning then thats that...

Roll on tuesday
Old 05-09-2005, 16:09   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staveros
The naivety of some of you is astounding.

You just can't seem to get it through that the people you NEED to boost the attendances dont think like you.

Im the same as the other lad, im an Evertonian, I have had a season ticket there for the last 11 years and used to go to most aways as well.

Its only the last few years ive cut back on the aways, hence I started having spare weekend to come to Stanley.

I started coming in the Unibond promotion season, which was awesome, and then continued into the conference. The first season, again, was awesome.

Since then though I have lost interest.

The prices have risen dramatically but more importantly the football hasn't progressed, in fact last season I felt it went backwards.

I came to 4 or 5 games last year and left distinctly unimpressed after all of them. maybe I got unlucky, I dont know??

He is right about the service in the bar as well, its horrendous. I had taken to getting in 10 minutes before half time just to get served but on one occasion the football was so bad I didnt bother coming out for the second half i just watched the tele instead.

The rubbish teles might I add. That was another bone of contention I had in the past, supporters providing teles, eh?? Whats that all about??

I think last time I was in a widescreen had arrived(5 years behind the times) which was at least some improvement.

Seriously though, would THE CLUB getting a couple of 42" Plasmas be a ridiculous suggestion?? You can get a pair for £1500 nowadays, then claim the VAT back of course. Not much more than a grand all in, hardly a bank breaker is it??

Besides, Im sure if you contact some of the local TV stores ie Panasonic or Harry Garlick that they would do a deal, say 500 quid and an advertisement or summet??

Anyway, im going off the main point now.

The main point is that it is what happens ON the pitch that matters.

They may well have been great on Saturday but I didnt see it because I wasn't there. I wasn't there because last season when I came I didn't feel it was value for money.

If I were involved with the club I would have recognised the problem over the summer and acted upon it in a realistic manner.

To me, ticket deals and word of mouth is futile. It wont work. It hasn't worked at Blackburn and it certainly wont work at Stanley.

What was needed in the summer was a big news story, the signing of a big name player. Even if it were a journyman pro, just someone to capture the imagination, to get people down to the game to see what all the fuss is about.

Didn't happen though, in fact quite the opposite. the club sold its two best players.

A more certain recipie for disaster I never have seen.

Thats gone now though, we must look forward. Where are we then??

Well, the way I see it is this...there are two possible solutions.

1. hope and pray that the team plays well over the coming months and can hold a place in the top 4 say approaching Christmas. I think then people will be interested to see whats happening and come back.

2. Sign the 'big name'. Be it a league player having troubles or a journeyman coming to the end, just someone who will make the news and get people down to have a look.

The worst missed opportunity of all time must have been when they let Payton pass. Madness.

I hear they were worried about his attitude yada yada. Say what?? Football is a business now, big business. Not to tell Eric how to suck his eggs but he would have been a cash camel. I was excited at the prospect of getting him and im not even a claret!! The crowds would have increased sizeably IMO.

At the end of the day, is it that important if these signings work out?? The way I see it is you want to raise the gates, they will do that. If it means 'carrying' a player for a little while then my business logic would say 'lets give it a go'.

Once you have people at the ground then you have your chance to 'hook' them. until you get them there your chance is zero. Its a no brainer for me.

Like I said previously, im just being realistic.

If none of these things happen nothing will change, I guarantee it, so then you have to ask ,where are we going'?

I jumped on the bandwagon, as did planty of others. Its time to get it rolling again.
Its all just nonsense, sorry mate, plain & utter nonsense, no disrespect but the only way to get more on the gate is to get more Accy Stanley fans not to try to tempt Everton fans from Goodison with a big name claret (& he got kicked out at Stalybridge fella!!!!!!)

Andy Payton, please..........

We can't gamble that a big name player ( and a fat huge salary!) would "maybe! tempt fans of other clubs through the turnstiles..... Your club is your club, few change & if they do only on a part time basis. We need young new Stanley fans & they will come with time. Fair weather fans will come if we win games & Mr Coleman has been doing that for a good few years now. Just check out the terrace on a Saturday, there is sooooo many young faces, they will grow up to be only Stanley fans not Everton & Stanley or Claret & Stanley but Stanley! through & through. Till then we have to live within our means & not gamble to please Everton fans (sorry mate, or BRFC or Man Utd! etc)

I'm sorry but spending £1500 on tv's to attract punters...................... I belly laughed at that one!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 05-09-2005, 16:17   #73
Senior Member+

Also fella, it ain't just us who SOLD our best players to League clubs...

Woking on Saturday lost both of their Centre Halfs to League clubs..... maybe they should have bought some tv's ......sorry!

You have got one thing right though & I'm sure Coley knows this, we haven't progressed since our first year but thats football, I am positive that Coley will get it right & we will have a real go but there is 22 clubs all trying to do this & we have no divine right to go up!

KEEP THE FAITH & keep coming, you never know what you will miss! Anyone ****ed off with queuing & deciding not to come to ASFC because of queues, let me know & I will personally buy you a pint & you can sit & watch the tele!

Regards

Benin Ultras

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 05-09-2005, 16:29   #74

Whoa!!
What an excellent thread!!

As most of you may know, (especially Garinda, who seems to keep tabs on who is on & off this forum at all times!), I am a regular reader, seldom poster.

How many varied views have been expressed in this post.... I seem to be agreeing with one, then the other, opposing comment. From Staveros, to Smiffy, Kipax (see, I even spelt it right!), to WH, Robaldo, et al!

The main theme, however, is that we are all concerned about the dwindling level of support..... this is now my fourth season, two as an ST holder.... I must admit that, this season, I thought long & hard as to whether I should renew my ticket, as, due to work commitments, I knew I could make no more than 80% of this season's home games. Like, probably, many others, I opted to renew, thinking that , at least, I am helping the revenue of the club....the same reason I buy a programme & draw tickets at each game I attend.

That, however, is not enough for the club..... no matter how many 'diehards' we have, we will not, alone, be able to carry this club forward.... we need additional support!! This is where we should be looking at it from a 'Business' point of view.

What does any business do, when confronted with falling sales???

I'm sure there are many of you on here who are by now shouting out the answers!!

So, why are we not looking for 'new' customers?
Trying to sell additions to our existing customers?
Getting our existing customers to recommend us to a friend?

Pure & simple MARKETING... that, I feel, is what we are lacking.

As someone else (sorry, don't remember who) commented, we should be making the most of the fact that we have just signed an international player, no matter how remote the country!! We should have had a lot more press coverage on the fact that we sold an extremely talented left-winger (one of a dying breed!) to a League club (albeit for an 'undisclosed' fee!)
And what about the other International we signed from a league club, got him fit throughout a season, then sold him on, presumably at a profit, (again 'undisclosed') to another league club? If we don't make money on this 'bit of business', we should, at least, be attracting considerable publicity!

The football is good, despite defensive lapses, the entertainment value, to my mind, is excellent, although the skills displayed may not be.... however, why do we watch at this level, rather than travel a few miles down the road, in either direction?

COMMITMENT!!!

We get it from the players (well, most of the time!) Can we now expect that 'The Management' will commit to marketing this club, with all it's history & tradition, in the way that is so deserved??

C'mon, Eric, I knew you when you were in 'ceramics' at English Electric.... You've done brilliantly for yourself, & for this club in the intervening years......

don't let it all fail now!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 16:34   #75
God Member

IT ISNT FALLING

Like Willie miller said its just may have stopped progressing at such a speed
but we are and still will go places we just need to be patient

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..