Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2015, 18:31   #16
God Member

Re: Team for Tranmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Just back from the game and on request !!,I will give you my opinion before the bitching starts
We never got to grips with big Kay's physical presence and he verged on bullying our CBs (who under performed on the day).
This was bad enough,but when you have Rory Donnelly playing alongside,you are really up against it.
The lad is a class act and was courted by Liverpool and Everton before signing for Swansea.
Take them out the equation and we played some decent football and created numerous clear cut chances.
On the new lads,the left back looked composed and good technique but lacked a yard of pace and Donnelly latched onto him
The keeper is still to convince me as he never had a shot to save or cross to catch for 80 minutes (3 shots,3goals).
For me,I would have played lids,but he may have got the same rinsing.
Positives,we stuck to trying to play football and young windass did well when he replaced Proccy.
If we had there front men,we would have won 5-0 no problem
Nice one....

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2015, 18:41   #17
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

JC reaction Coley frustrated with loss - Accrington Stanley FC
Old 17-01-2015, 18:43   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Welcome back football19
Aye, it's always refreshing to have the usual bigging up of the opposition players.
smudgie likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 18:52   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Sad to see Lidds dropped after some really good peformances. Replaced by a former Sligo Stanley player.
2 dropped out of our back 4,that to me have been doing ok, The first goal was down to sligo man trying to do too much, would never have happened wi Lids in my view. Before the start Players warming up, Tranmere had 5 coaches all the time instructing telling etc, Stanley had the usual 0, apart from about 5 mins of J.B. This today was as poor as at Carlilse imho,
3-0 down, its obviously not working today, obvious need to try summat else. NO subs warming up, later still Tranmere man injured, play stopped, half our lads go off for a drink, No-one at all speaks to em or gives any instructions or ideas to attempt, in fact all our manager is doing is arguing wi the 4 th official. These 2 are clueless, have no idea what to do to change things n anyone yon could see that.
FrankMoody likes this.
Old 17-01-2015, 18:54   #20

Absolutely dreadful. Starting with the team selection to the final whistle was awful. This performance was the worst I've seen in a couple of seasons, and let's be honest it hasn't been great over the last few weeks.

Couple of main gripes:

Why play a right footer at left back when you have a decent left back on the bench, and then have to swap him with another right footer because he was having a nightmare (I don't blame the lad btw)? Is the new guy better than Hunt and Liddle anyway? No way, the only thing he has that those two don't is the fact that the Ticktackle Genius signed him.

I've said it before but McCarten produces one or two moments of decent play at most in a game, Maguire is not a centre forward and Naismith rarely performs away from home.

Why, when 3-0 down and desperate up front does the manager leave it until nearly 70 mins to make sub and then Windass (no senior goals or assists) replace Mingoia?

Finally, why, when the game is done the clueless Coleman leaves it until 80 min and puts on the forgotten man Gray and ........ A defensive midfielder!

Please bring back Beattie, whatever his failings he will be a better manager than this bloke - Living on his reputation, picks teams on favouritism, tactically clueless, doesn't know how to change a game.... And here's a question: Are they players playing for him?
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 18:55   #21

The selection of the full-backs was wrong for me and it had a big impact on the game.

If sufficient preparation had been done, you would see that Tranmere have a quick player on their right hand side so why would you even think of putting Conneely in there as opposed to Liddle? Oh, it's Coley playing favourites again and the same in picking Winnard over Hunt at right back.

It seems that Winnard is undroppable and it's to the detriment of the team that this is the case because he, too, was unable to cope with Tranmere's offensive threat and got beat too easily for the second goal.

On another day, it could have been a closer game. I can think of five clear opportunities:
Maguire should score when he seizes on an underhit backpass just before half-time
McCartan should have had a penalty but it was given as a free-kick on the edge of the area
Naismith should score when he's got a six yard radius of space in the area from a free-kick and is essentially one-on-one with the keeper
Maguire's somehow hit the defender on the line 3 yards out with almost all of the goal to aim at
McCartan hits the post from range late on

It's not as if it was a toothless performance, but some serious questions need to be asked about the defensive selection.
FrankMoody likes this.
StanleyAccrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 19:11   #22

Easily worse than Carlisle. For all the chances we created we never looked like scoring until gray hit the post. Another good trip spoiled by the football. Hopefully we will do better next week but we need someone up front to be a threat
Still, only another three hours til I get home if I'm lucky
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 19:52   #23
Senior Member+

As Cashy said..."At least the pies were good! ".

I think that I asked after the Carlisle game where the goals were going to come from ?...and after today's good chances were squandered by basic errors from our frontmen, I came away with the same thoughts !.
Sorry F19 if I welcome you back with what might pass as a little 'bitching' but I also feel that as well as a couple of Strikers we are, after today's abysmal efforts from the team as a whole, missing a good Coach or two !. I can't really believe that they have trained all week to produce a performance lacking in cohesion and desire as we witnessed at Prenton Park.
The defence were lacking their usual firm shape which has seen them so successful at supporting each other,. The midfield were outplayed and out-skilled, thus resulting in constantly making mistakes and putting the beleaguered defence under pressure with misplaced back passes !. And I still maintain that under their present Captain they are practically leaderless !.
I don't wish to enter into the debate regarding JC's abilities or lack of these, but if today,s showing is the best his coaching can produce at this vital period in the current Season, then it is, sorry to say,frankly not good enough !.
" Looking towards the play offs ", is a mantra heard from our Management a team. My final thought as I left the ground this afternoon was that " Looking towards a win sometime" is sadly what the truth will be unless some real Soccer application is taken up at Accrington Stanley.

PS... I thought the Goalkeeper had little chance at stopping the goals and will do well for us.
cashman and Chubbyman like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 19:55   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

In fact another thing Tranmere won virtually every second ball, pathetic. Piero @ Kal were subbed and arguably were our 2 most threatning/creative players.
yonmon and Chubbyman like this.

Last edited by cashman; 17-01-2015 at 19:58.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:05   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
In fact another thing Tranmere won virtually every second ball, pathetic. Piero @ Kal were subbed and arguably were our 2 most threatning/creative players.
Spot on......I also think Coleman should give Joss a run of 2-3 games to try and prove himself . I think he could be a real game changer if given the chance.
cashman likes this.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:07   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyAccrington View Post
The selection of the full-backs was wrong for me and it had a big impact on the game.

If sufficient preparation had been done, you would see that Tranmere have a quick player on their right hand side so why would you even think of putting Conneely in there as opposed to Liddle? Oh, it's Coley playing favourites again and the same in picking Winnard over Hunt at right back.

It seems that Winnard is undroppable and it's to the detriment of the team that this is the case because he, too, was unable to cope with Tranmere's offensive threat and got beat too easily for the second goal.

On another day, it could have been a closer game. I can think of five clear opportunities:
Maguire should score when he seizes on an underhit backpass just before half-time
McCartan should have had a penalty but it was given as a free-kick on the edge of the area
Naismith should score when he's got a six yard radius of space in the area from a free-kick and is essentially one-on-one with the keeper
Maguire's somehow hit the defender on the line 3 yards out with almost all of the goal to aim at
McCartan hits the post from range late on

It's not as if it was a toothless performance, but some serious questions need to be asked about the defensive selection.
Interesting comments Stanley.
If you watch the highlights tonight on the football league show you will see it was Naismith who didn't track his man for the second goal.
The first goal Donnelly got across Tom with great movement.
I presume you think the problem was the fullbacks not the who's job is to defend crosses?,fair enough,everyone has an opinion.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:08   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
This summary makes very strange reading. In just a handful of lines, he blames (a) defenders, (b) absence of game last week, (c) himself for being too "cocky", thinking we were better than we actually are and not giving Tranmere the respect they deserve, (d) attackers ("in front of goal ... wasteful").

I would rather see some specifics, including thoughts about his team selection, choice and timing of substitutions - and even some mention of motivational skills.
yonmon likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:14   #28

To be honest it doesn't matter who is to blame, the whole lot of them need to take a good look at themselves. That was unacceptable today for a team hoping to make the playoffs
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:16   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
As well as the Pies Cashy...it was good to meet MikeA don't you think ?...Don't you think though that Pietro was starved of the usual service he gets ?...and that Mickey Adams had done his homework on Kal seeing how closely two players at least were always marking him ?...Again evidence of the fact that Adams won this afternoons joust hands down over JC !.
cashman and football19 like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Interesting comments Stanley.
If you watch the highlights tonight on the football league show you will see it was Naismith who didn't track his man for the second goal.
The first goal Donnelly got across Tom with great movement.
I presume you think the problem was the fullbacks not the who's job is to defend crosses?,fair enough,everyone has an opinion.
For the first Coneelly did well originally to intercept and move forward but then tries to do too much, loses the ball stupidly and is caught out of position. It's a good finish from Donnelly getting across his marker but the cross should never have come in in the first place.

I'll have to see the second goal again but all I remember is the Tranmere left back having the freedom of the left wing to run into space before getting his cross in which deflected into the path of Fenelon to lash past Macey, who had no chance for all three goals but looked okay.
yonmon and Chubbyman like this.
StanleyAccrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..