Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2012, 22:25   #331
I am Banned

Re: Spire farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Did you ever meet or see Straks - he looked like Kojak with completely bald head except he had a Polish accent.
Yes had a few run ins with him he was always blocking the lanes with his machinery, even warning him about the lack of a decent water supply in case his barn went up, didn't seem to bother him.

The last fire I attended at at High Riley, we had to run a water relay from Hambledon Lodge, that a hell of a long time ago
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2012, 22:30   #332
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Yes had a few run ins with him he was always blocking the lanes with his machinery, even warning him about the lack of a decent water supply in case his barn went up, didn't seem to bother him.

The last fire I attended at at High Riley, we had to run a water relay from Hambledon Lodge, that a hell of a long time ago
He rented the farm I think - don't think he owned it. Where is Hambledon Lodge? That res below Hambledon? Did you used to attend a lot of grass fires - I recall there used to be a lot in the summer over the hills.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 22:41   #333
I am Banned

Quote:
He rented the farm I think - don't think he owned it. Where is Hambledon Lodge? That res below Hambledon? Did you used to attend a lot of grass fires - I recall there used to be a lot in the summer over the hills.
Carry on up Sandy lane past Blue Slates & its there right in front of you, there's some picture of it on goggle urth, just type in Accrington & then traverse East up Sandy Lane across the Bypass and bingo.
Grass fire are a bloody nuisance, I was in favourr of letting them burn out as long a they did no damage, you can't light it twice
Old 31-10-2012, 22:41   #334
Senior Member+

Quote:
No Broad Oak Farm was at Broad Oak Fold, Sandy Lane junction of Barnfield, Heights Farm and the surrounding area is still as it was before they drained the Warmden, that lane used to go on past Heights Farm to Warmden Quarry, and is no where near Spire farm.
When I was in the Fire Brigade one of my jobs was updating the Farm Records, which showed the quickest access route & the nearest water supplies, in our division we had over 900 properties in the records which required a lot of checking as farms or small holdings were sold off or demolished.
Every fire appliance on the station carried a copy of those records, now its done by computer and it uses postcodes to search for the routes, when they showed it to me I beat it 7 out of 10, a lot of the outlying properties don't have a post code.
Blue Slates, West Farm, Moleside End are just 3 that I can still remember, the last one up Sandy Lane with a post code is New High Riley. They have to collect their own mail posty won't or can't get up some of the older roads or lanes in Accy, Sandy Lane is impassable past New House farm.
Well from what you say here Broad Oak Farm had long gone when I was around. There used to be a single barn at the bottom of Sandy Lane where the path went off to Ardenhall and further along some ruins of buildings, is that where it was?

The other farm I am talking about was in front of the Warmden Dam and always had loud noise of a generator running all day and loads of vehicles parked up year on year, do you know what I mean? It was before Heights Farm which was along way behind it to the left as you come up through Broad Oak.

I've got Meadow Top Farm on my map which was other side of Warmden from Heights Farm also Wooley Lane Farm further over towards Baxenden and then Hen Heads Farm more closer to Mitchell House Res.

I've seen vehicles go up passed New House Farm loads of times.
Old 31-10-2012, 23:20   #335
I am Banned

Quote:
Well from what you say here Broad Oak Farm had long gone when I was around. There used to be a single barn at the bottom of Sandy Lane where the path went off to Ardenhall and further along some ruins of buildings, is that where it was?
That was Leemings Pad your refering too, and the ruins were Field House Farm, Leemings pad was about 300 yards further up Sandy Lane than Broad Oak Fold.

The other farm I am talking about was in front of the Warmden Dam and always had loud noise of a generator running all day and loads of vehicles parked up year on year, do you know what I mean? It was before Heights Farm which was along way behind it to the left as you come up through Broad Oak.
That is Clough Bottom Farm, Dick Guy's place, had a few run ins with him for blocking hydrants with his dammed machinery, thats the place I referred to earlier at the end of Cat Hall Lane.
I've got Meadow Top Farm on my map which was other side of Warmden from Heights Farm also Wooley Lane Farm further over towards Baxenden and then Hen Heads Farm more closer to Mitchell House Res.

I've seen vehicles go up passed New House Farm loads of times.
Other than a 4x4, you can only access that part of Sandy Lane from the bypass. I've tried and its impassable to ordinary vehicles.
Old 31-10-2012, 23:24   #336
Senior Member+

Quote:
Other than a 4x4, you can only access that part of Sandy Lane from the bypass. I've tried and its impassable to ordinary vehicles.
You've lost me now with the Sandy Lane Farm But now I know it's Clough Bottom Farm - what's his trade - plant hire?

Last edited by kestrelx; 31-10-2012 at 23:28.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:57   #337
I am Banned

Quote:
You've lost me now with the Sandy Lane Farm But now I know it's Clough Bottom Farm - what's his trade - plant hire?
Yes, as for Sandy Lane it starts at the junction with Adelaide St, up past the colledge of knowledge past Broad Oak Fold, up past the end of Leemings Pad then up past New House and carry on to High Riley Cottages, Spire Farm is down the lane to the left. Before they built the Bypass Sandy Lane carried on to Blue Slates, on the left was Moleside End Farm & to the right was West Farm, Carry on past Blue Slates & the last stop is the lodge.
Goggle urth now shows another property after High Riley Cottages before the bypass its entirely new, but blends in well with every thing else, looks like its been there for ever
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15   #338
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, as for Sandy Lane it starts at the junction with Adelaide St, up past the colledge of knowledge past Broad Oak Fold, up past the end of Leemings Pad then up past New House and carry on to High Riley Cottages, Spire Farm is down the lane to the left. Before they built the Bypass Sandy Lane carried on to Blue Slates, on the left was Moleside End Farm & to the right was West Farm, Carry on past Blue Slates & the last stop is the lodge.
Goggle urth now shows another property after High Riley Cottages before the bypass its entirely new, but blends in well with every thing else, looks like its been there for ever
That will be number 5/7 garage i think retlaw, its in the field slightly to the rear of the cottages and has been up since 1992.Or if its on the topside of the bypass it could be Alan Whittakers' barn which is on the other sid of sandy lane to the cottages other than that there are no more buildings until blue slates, west farm etc .

Last edited by walkinman221; 01-11-2012 at 12:19.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 16:48   #339
Junior Member+

Re: Spire farm development

Field House Farm is the one I remember from when we walked around Leemings Pad in the nineteen forties. I never knew its name. Would it have been a ruin then? It seemed substantial from the path but I was very young at the time and wouldn't have known. Do you know when it was built, Retlaw?
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 18:14   #340
I am Banned

Re: Spire farm development

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
Field House Farm is the one I remember from when we walked around Leemings Pad in the nineteen forties. I never knew its name. Would it have been a ruin then? It seemed substantial from the path but I was very young at the time and wouldn't have known. Do you know when it was built, Retlaw?
In the 1940's it was stilled lived in, I knew the two lads that lived there, they were about the same age as me.
Old 01-11-2012, 18:24   #341
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
That will be number 5/7 garage i think retlaw, its in the field slightly to the rear of the cottages and has been up since 1992.Or if its on the topside of the bypass it could be Alan Whittakers' barn which is on the other sid of sandy lane to the cottages other than that there are no more buildings until blue slates, west farm etc .
The building I remember seeing was on the opposite side to the Cottages just a bit further up the lane. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the farm 1/2 way between New House and High Riley, The Wright family from Hambledon Hall lived there, George, Harry, Richard.
Old 01-11-2012, 21:55   #342
Senior Member+

Quote:
The building I remember seeing was on the opposite side to the Cottages just a bit further up the lane. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the farm 1/2 way between New House and High Riley, The Wright family from Hambledon Hall lived there, George, Harry, Richard.
Is it not Leafield?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 22:10   #343
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Is it not Leafield?
Thats the one Thanks.
Used to spend a lot of time at West Farm whenthe Kemps had it, has to pass Leafield Barn on the way, Dick Wright had a bantam cock that was a right little barsteward, would attack any one going up Sandy Lane, had to arm myself with a 6 ft garden cane, even that didn't deter it no matter how hard you whacked it.
Old 02-11-2012, 16:14   #344
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yeh I've been up Sandy Lane many, many time though I don't live in the area now I can't take a look to refresh my memory!

Do you know Brocklehurst Clough, near Spires Farm, there was an old ruin there for years then in the early 80's someone re-built it, do you know where I mean?
Old 02-11-2012, 16:43   #345
I am Banned

Quote:
Yeh I've been up Sandy Lane many, many time though I don't live in the area now I can't take a look to refresh my memory!

Do you know Brocklehurst Clough, near Spires Farm, there was an old ruin there for years then in the early 80's someone re-built it, do you know where I mean?
Yes some one applied for planning permission to rebuild as a stable, but when they came to inspect, it was fitted out inside as a dwelling, then the fight started. don't know the outcome. I think you will find Sandy Lane has changed quite a lot this past few years a lot of the lane has been washed away between Higher House & Leafield no road maintainence since the bypass went in its now easier to come down Sandy Lane from the bypass than it is to go up. The bottom bit from Ascot Way to Higher house could do with some maintainence, but who will fund it. ?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brocklehurst Cottage..jpg (226.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-11-2012 at 16:50.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..