Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2021, 18:39   #1756

Re: Corona Virus

Ok
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2021, 19:13   #1757
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
We are all entitled to our own opinions but we should surely respect each other.
I think it was Voltaire who said something like I may disagree with what you say, but I wil defend to the death your right to say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well voltaire was not that bright then how can anyone sensible agree with a terrorists right to spout the garbage they do that attracts idiots to join them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Ok

Yeah well, that went well didn't it?

Sorry lads, that little discussion didn't half make me chuckle, I blame my warped sense of humour for that.

Oh & Mark, the quote was accredited to Evelyn Beatrice Hall. Every day a school day here on AW.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 24-04-2021 at 19:17.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:26   #1758
Beacon of light

Quote:
well voltaire was not that bright then how can anyone sensible agree with a terrorists right to spout the garbage they do that attracts idiots to join them?

It is not about agreeing with them...but about letting them have the right to say what they believe.
Free Speech...and that is getting less free by the day too.
How long before we have the thought police too.

It is time we realised that George Orwells 1984 was not a manual for life but a novel.

And Son you are right about Evelyn Beatrice Hall having written it, but it might have been a quote from Voltaire as this lady was Voltaires biographer
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 20:34   #1759

DaveinG, I must have the same sort of warped sense of humour that you have because it made me chuckle also.
DaveinGermany likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 04:02   #1760

Oh dear, Cashie, you write that Voltaire wasn’t that bright. Sorry but I can’t let that statement go unchallenged. I’m sure you will know who Voltaire was (1694-1778) but in case you don’t here’s a very brief history for you. He was an historian and a philosopher. He was a prolific writer, writing more than 20,000 letters and 2,000 books and pamphlets.

He advocated freedom of speech, freedom of religion, amongst other things. He was not afraid to criticise the government for which he was sent to prison.

Not very bright? – methinks you do the man a great injustice….but then, we ARE all entitled to our own opinions.
nicola68 likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:52   #1761

Talk of people being "quote", Cowards, for wearing a mask is certainly well out of order by anyones standards; if someone wishes not to wear one that is their decision and O.K.
I have been watching the people of India taking their loved ones to be burnt on open fires, as is their tradition; the relatives of the dead in their thousands are all wearing masks;does this mean that the populace are all cowards ? Shame on (the person),who first coined the word on this Web.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:20   #1762
Beacon of light

Taddy did you read the post...or did you just read someone else’s interpretation of my post?
If you are naming and shaming, then why did you not say who it was?

I have been a member on here for a lot of years.
I moderate my own posts.....and I post with respect to the opinions of others.
My opinions are based on information which has been obtained from sources other than MSM....some of the information is from professional journals.
Throughout this thread I have maintained the same view and given reasons for this.

I have taken time out from the forum because it seems that there are few themes other than this or Stanley.
Whether you like my posts, or my views is irrelevant to me.
I think the whole population has been lied to and bamboozled for a reason that we are not being informed of.
But only time will tell.
Oh,and by the way I stand by my posts.
nicola68 likes this.
Old 25-04-2021, 10:58   #1763
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Yet there are still those out there who are begging for more of the same....too scared to go back to living without a mask.
What cowards we have become!

Check out my Ayn Rand Signature....because that is exactly how it is for us now.
sorry margaret i must disagree i do not regard those who wear masks as cowards at all i reckon they are frightened people, perhaps have cause to be i wouldnt know and neither would anyone else.
Old 25-04-2021, 12:22   #1764
Beacon of light

Cashy, at least you have done me the courtesy of posting what I wrote...thank you for that.
Now, please tell me where I said ‘those who wear masks are cowards...’

I can only be responsible for what I post, not how you interpret it.

I went on in another post to explain my meaning, but I suppose that is not relevant as you have already decided how you wish to view the post you quoted.

Those two observations that you have quoted above are not inter dependent.
They are two separate things...though I feel like I am wasting my time trying to explain this to anyone on here.

You called those people who look at me like I am a plague carrier....and those who give you an argument if you are two inches over a marker in sa supermarket idiots’....I went on to say that they were not idiots...they had been ‘conditioned’. Into those actions.
In the same way that mask wearers have been conditioned to keep wearing masks.

But have it your way...read my posts...don’t read my posts.
But please do not tell me what I meant.
nicola68 likes this.
Old 25-04-2021, 13:51   #1765
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

to scared to go living without a mask what cowards we have become you said that to me means what i said.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:12   #1766
Beacon of light

Cashy...when you take something out of context you change its meaning.
There is a full stop after the 'too scared to go on living without a mask'

This means that sentence has ended..or at least it did when I was at school.

The 'What cowards we have become' is separate.

If you wish to read this as a derogatory comment then so be it....but the two sentences are separate and do not depend on each other.

Earlier in that same post I mentioned about the sarefying tactics of government...but yet you made no mention of this....that the scaring is a tool to gain compliance.....as I say.
I cannot be responsible for how you interpret my post......but I would ask others to please read the original and decide how they wish to interpret it.
nicola68 likes this.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:36   #1767
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

it all relates to the same thing is how ive read it.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:52   #1768
Beacon of light

No amount of explanation is going to alter how you see it. You have decided that it is something it isn’t.
So be it.
nicola68 likes this.
Old 25-04-2021, 15:15   #1769
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

does that not work both ways?
Old 25-04-2021, 17:16   #1770
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
does that not work both ways?
Yes it does.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..