Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2021, 18:57   #1876
God Member

Re: Corona Virus

This is the TalkRadio interview this week on this issue...

Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2021, 21:39   #1877

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Julia Hartley Brewer who is digital radios version of Katie Hopkins.

It’s ironic that someone on a radio show that is only accessible via a digital medium is worried about a digital medium.

I have the NHS app and have used it for over a year for track and trace….yeah it had issues in the early days with false positives and other bugs, show me an app that doesn’t need debugging once its released. I’ve had more issues with my banking apps and Google Chrome crashing on my Amazon fire than with the NHS app.

I’ve read the privacy notice and it follows GDPR guidance I can’t for the life of me see a problem, but if you have an issue I suggest you take it up with the ICO.

I’ve just run my app to check for travel and it generates a QR code and gives a visual note that I’ve had my 2 vaccinations, I can also evidence the dates of my last LFT test and PCR test by showing the resulting NHS texts..

….so tell me what is the difference between that and showing my passport and various pieces of paper proving that I’ve had the vaccines for yellow fever, cholera and malaria at check in?

What this Hartley Brewer buffoon fails to mention is that although information about your medical history is accessible to you on your app, IT IS NOT disclosed at passport control….kinda like using your bank app to pay for something on amazon doesn’t give them free access to the payment history or wage details on your bank account..
Old 22-05-2021, 08:35   #1878
God Member

those without a divice to load up the nhs app will become second class citizens i suppose. so the government is forcing you to buy something you feel you have no need of just to live the life you want. the idea of ID cards was thrown out years ago. now its being proposed to really bring this back through the back door with the virus as an excuse. no wonder there are so many conspiracy theories doing the rounds. there could be another group of people around shortly. they will be called the app deniers.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 10:13   #1879
Beacon of light

If you have a smart phone and want to use these apps, then so be it.
But for those of us out there who do not have a smartphone we are stuffed.
I have a mobile phone that has no internet access, no camera..it can make a call and it can text....but nothing else. And I am not alone...there are a lot of people who do not need to be forever connected to the internet via a smartphone.
Where does that leave us.
as for asking what the difference is between the details on a smartphone and a passport...there is a big difference...the passport is unlikely to get hacked(in normal use) and I am not going to be asked for my passport unless I am leaving or entering the country.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 14:17   #1880

I'm with you on this one Marge.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 18:44   #1881

All phones have the ability to track you and apps give the owners of those apps ever more info on you, your habits, what you like and even how you think. Now a lot of people reckon if you are a law abiding citizen then it shouldn't bother you but that all boils down to who is in control and who is making the laws. Would you be happy if the dictat came from the Chinese Communist party (or any other variant for that matter) or one of the newly emerging fascist groups considering that these days there are fascists on the far right AND the far left (same dictatorial nonsense from both ends of the spectrum). We have limited freedoms as it is and a lot of these controls via apps and even the computer we are all using to access this site erode those ever further. I fear though that it is unstoppable - akin to the letting the genie out of the bottle as with nuclear weapons. Once someone has them others HAVE to have them otherwise those that do have them will be able to control those that don't.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 21:17   #1882
Beacon of light

My phone has no apps...it is switched off unless I want to make a call. I have had twenty pound of credit on it since before Christmas...so that shows my use of it.
I would not have one at all, but my family get twitched if I don’t have one...not that they can phone me on the damn thing because it is switched off.

There are many like me who feel no need to be connected to the www.

I agree that it is all about tracking and control, but it has to seem like it is for the users convenience for it to be acceptable.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-05-2021 at 21:19.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 00:01   #1883

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Hmm…if you are concerned about being tracked on your phone I suggest you stop using your internet connected computer/phone/tablet to post on this or any other website (unless you are savvy enough to use a VPN), even If you are using two wires and a lemon to power it.

You can get a basic smartphone for as little as £7.50 a month from Tesco or buy one outright for £80 and pay as you go with a 99p sim card from Range at Whitebirk. It’s irrelevant if you have it switched on or not, if you have the app the information is there when you do switch it on.

Like I said last post, read the apps privacy policy, it’s GDPR compliant, your data is secure…to access my details you need to input my birthdate, my email address, my 13 digit password and you need my phone (which needs my fingerprint). You need to do this manually every time. It doesn’t store cookies or password on Google or your password manager like your Accyweb, Amazon, Ebay, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda etc etc etc accounts.

If you really believe that this is an insidious attempt by the government using a pandemic to somehow bring a form of ID through the back door you need to give your head a wobble, this is about convenience.

Can you guys give me an alternative, cheap way of evidencing that you have been innoculated?

Last edited by Guinness; 23-05-2021 at 00:07.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 08:54   #1884
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

You can get a basic smartphone for as little as £7.50 a month from Tesco or buy one outright for £80 and pay as you go with a 99p sim card from Range at Whitebirk.

Can you guys give me an alternative, cheap way of evidencing that you have been innoculated?
on your first point i for one just do not want one and if someone gave me one i,d not use it. its not about the money its about being told you are expected to have something like this nowadays. only bought a laptop really at first to avoid buying all the car magazines i used to buy weekly and monthly. no one is ever going to tell me i need this and that just to live a life. as for your second point whats wrong in providing a card like a football season ticket to show you have been vaccinated. cannot see a large cost in that after the millions of pounds all governments waste in a year. putting dingy divers into inferior and cheaper accomodation for a start would go a long way to pay for it.
Old 23-05-2021, 09:02   #1885
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1254113]My phone has no apps...it is switched off unless I want to make a call. I have had twenty pound of credit on it since before Christmas...so that shows my use of it.
I would not have one at all, but my family get twitched if I don’t have one...not that they can phone me on the damn thing because it is switched off.

There are many like me who feel no need to be connected to the www.

I only take mine with me, switched off, if i,m on my own in the car. going over the moors its a just in case of a breakdown thats all. having one with you switched on all the time is akin to being electronically tagged to me.
Old 23-05-2021, 09:47   #1886

I thought I'd put my two-bob's worth in about privacy or rather the lack of it these days. In 1949 George Orwell’s book 1984 was published. People did not believe that any of the things in the book would happen and over the years would often say, almost as a joke, ‘Big Brother is watching you’ - Big Brother being a character in this book.

Government surveillance, surveillance capitalism - where your personal data is sold for profit, and all the new technology being what it is, it might well be that Big Brother really is watching you. Just a thought.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 09:48   #1887

I find it very annoying when I might have been searching for something on the Internet, maybe some household item, and then I find that on so many other sites I might visit for other reasons there are pictures of that same item, or similar, everywhere. I do feel like I am being watched, if only in a technological way.

Last edited by dotti34; 23-05-2021 at 09:50.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 09:52   #1888

[QUOTE=monkey hanger; as for your second point whats wrong in providing a card like a football season ticket to show you have been vaccinated. cannot see a large cost in that after the millions of pounds all governments waste in a year.

When I went for my first vaccination I was given a ticket for want of a better word with my name, the vaccine type and the date on it, when I returned for my second dose it was also put on the same ticket. when I got home I simply laminated it and keep it with my old geezers bus pass that has my mugshot on it, I use the bus pass and my driving licence as proof of identity.(Job Done).
Old 23-05-2021, 09:58   #1889

Can you guys give me an alternative, cheap way of evidencing that you have been innoculated?[/QUOTE]

Guinness, please See my last post, 1888

Last edited by taddy; 23-05-2021 at 10:00.
Old 23-05-2021, 10:13   #1890
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
I find it very annoying when I might have been searching for something on the Internet, maybe some household item, and then I find that on so many other sites I might visit for other reasons there are pictures of that same item, or similar, everywhere. I do feel like I am being watched, if only in a technological way.
there must be a reason why after downloading the live football streams i have used this season for stanley and a couple of others that my email in box suddenly has many more odd emails in it. suppose they,d say its co incidence. thats something i,ll never buy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..