Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2007, 20:30   #46

Re: Easy way to stop smoking.....

Well done Slin ky, might give the book a try sometime in the future.

Googeled it: (Allen Carr's Easyway To Stop Smoking - Lancashire Clinic)

Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking

Do you want to stop smoking, easily, immediately without withdrawal pangs and without the use of aids and gimmicks?

The Method

Allen Carr, a chain-smoker for 33 years, discovered in 1983 what we'd all been waiting on... a cure for smoking.

His method will work for any type of smoker; young or old, light or heavy, casual or otherwise. It works using a combination of psychotherapy and hypnotherapy and concentrates on the reasons why people do smoke as opposed to why they shouldn't.

Fear keeps people smoking - fear that they will never be able to enjoy life again if they stop smoking. Allen Carr's method removes these fears to allow people to see that they can be happier as non smokers without feeling deprived of anything.

The method is delivered using no gimmicks, no lasers, no herbs, no shock treatment, no patches, no inhalators, no gum! AND best of all, NO WITHDRAWAL PANGS. It's instantaneous and EASY.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2007, 20:39   #47
God Member

And I can vouch that all the above is true (( well for me it is ))

Every time I have tried to give up, I have been moody and down right irritable.
In the end I just think " this is no good, I can't do it " and start smoking again.

This time I feel great. I'm not moody or irritable!! I'm not perminatly thinking ' OMG I need a fag ' .... The only thing that keep going through my head is " wow I can't believe I have stopped smoking " and that is in a good way!!

Give it a try Sara, it's no lose situation!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 20:49   #48

Don't want to give up yet, but when i do it will be worth considering. Heard about the book a few years ago, but thought it was an urban myth because it was from a friend of a friend etc.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 20:54   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Don't want to give up yet, but when i do it will be worth considering. Heard about the book a few years ago, but thought it was an urban myth because it was from a friend of a friend etc.
Yes. you have to be sure you want to give up, or it isn't any use. Probably thats why it doesn't work for some people. Either they are not reading it word for word, and all the way through!! OR they don't want to give up.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 20-10-2007, 05:21   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Don't want to give up yet
Why would you not want to save a load of money and stop stinking like an old ash tray?

That is a little harsh I know but I find it hard to believe you actually enjoy being addicted.
Old 20-10-2007, 09:15   #51
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Easy way to stop smoking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why would you not want to save a load of money and stop stinking like an old ash tray?

That is a little harsh I know but I find it hard to believe you actually enjoy being addicted.
It’s a defence/face saving mechanism.

Sara probably really does want to give up smoking but having heard horrendous tales of how difficult it is for some people to stop, the easy option is to declare, “I don’t want to give up just yet.” It gets her off the hook so to speak.
Old 20-10-2007, 09:30   #52
God Member

We smokers enjoy it - thats what addiction is!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 09:40   #53
Resting in Peace

Most of my smoking is habit related e.g. whilst putting on make-up, chatting on the 'phone, another course to my meal, must have one before I get on that aeroplane, great with my bacardis and cokes, summat to do whilst reading posts on Accyweb .. etc. Unfortunately, a habit of some 47 years .. how do I break this ?

Does it help you with this Slinky ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 11:38   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Speaking of old ash trays Neil, where can I get some decent ones now ? .. having just newly decorated downstairs, feel that my 'Thwaites Draft Beers' and 'Mackesons Original and Genuine' are not in keeping any more.

Won't be able to 'acquire' them from the pubs now. Do you think I ought to keep the above mentioned to sell on E-Bay at a later date ?

Guess that was one lost income for ash tray makers .. wonder what they will do to make up this loss ? Suggest chewing gum dispensers.
Old 20-10-2007, 11:56   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We smokers enjoy it - thats what addiction is!

that's totally not true!! and when you read the book you will find out why

Miracles do happen!!

Old 20-10-2007, 12:02   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Most of my smoking is habit related e.g. whilst putting on make-up, chatting on the 'phone, another course to my meal, must have one before I get on that aeroplane, great with my bacardis and cokes, summat to do whilst reading posts on Accyweb .. etc. Unfortunately, a habit of some 47 years .. how do I break this ?

Does it help you with this Slinky ?
AND all of the above isn't true either!! Gosh I have just realized in the past 10 seconds that, everything Allen Carr say's about " what smokers will say to try and justify why they smoke " is absolutely true. And he explains why it is all a load of old TRIPE!!

and I am sorry but he wins this argument hands down, and that is coming off an Ex smoker ( myself ) That used to believe all the BRAINWASHING things about smoking ...... ' I enjoy it, I won't enjoy my social life without it, I will be miserable' etc..... Nothing makes you more miserable than smoking.

I can give you lots of things that are positive about giving up.
I can't give you 1 thing that is positive about carrying on!!

Miracles do happen!!

Old 20-10-2007, 12:10   #57
God Member

Quote:

Sara said she doesn't want to give up JUST YET because :

She is Scared stiff. She is frightened that she will be miserable for weeks and weeks, and won't enjoy life for weeks and weeks, while she is trying to get over the drug addiction.

I promise if you read the book I have just read, there is nothing to worry about!! You won't be miserable. You will still enjoy life, and you will even start to feel sorry for smokers that make excuses about " Oh I don't want to quit yet, Oh but I enjoy it " etc

You won't even ENVY a person when you see them having a ciggie, you will more than likely feel sorry for them.

You will have to read the book. I suppose if someone would have told me all this last week, I would have told them to ******** go away in short jerky movements!!

Just another thing!! give the book a go!! If you all don't stop smoking after it, there is nothing to lose!!

Miracles do happen!!

Last edited by slinky; 20-10-2007 at 12:12.
Old 20-10-2007, 12:16   #58
Resting in Peace

If this thread carries on, you will have given us all the info. we need Slinky

'Fraid I am like Sarah and don't want to give up . could be the fear as you have said.

Well, Ok .. maybe worth a read .. only the price of a packet of fags anyway..
Old 20-10-2007, 12:19   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
If this thread carries on, you will have given us all the info. we need Slinky

'Fraid I am like Sarah and don't want to give up . could be the fear as you have said.

Well, Ok .. maybe worth a read .. only the price of a packet of fags anyway..
EXACTLY!! and if you don't give up!! then there is nothing to lose is there

I'm only harping on about it because i'm gob smacked that a book has made it so easy for me to stop smoking!! and if it works for you! you will know what i'm talking about.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 20-10-2007, 12:29   #60
God Member

I remember the bit in the book where Allan Carr says that smoking is not pleasurable. It is merely a device to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay. He likens it to banging your head against a brick wall in order to feel better when you stop.

My trouble is that I really do enjoy having a fag. I always have.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..