Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2007, 09:11   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Hospital Disabled Parking Charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The idea of getting free transport to hospital. You've either got to laugh or cry.

my mum gets free transport from b'burn to christies,i just didnt know if you could get it to local hospitals
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2007, 09:26   #32
God Member

Free at point of delivery National Health Service - My ass!

The fact that staff have to pay is silly, and when they first introduced it staff didn't even have cards so they were all forced to abandon their cars wherever they could as they couldn't get on the staff carparks. This went on for quite a while.

When I go to A&E I should not be charged for the privilege of needing emergency attention if the NHS is supposed to be free.

Private hospitals don't have this issue, its always been free parking when I have been, which is rather surprising.

How much are the charges by the way?
Old 19-07-2007, 09:40   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post

How much are the charges by the way?
I have just asked my daughter who works at the hospital.
She pays £9.50 a month to use the staff car park. The money is deducted from her wages.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 09:41   #34
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

having to pay to park to go to work.?........no comment!
Old 19-07-2007, 10:01   #35
God Member

My understanding is that the disabled badge scheme is to give you 'convienient' parking not 'free'. I have no problem with disabled spaces near to the buildings etc but why should I pay and you not(actually I can apply for a badge because of my broken back as I can't carry stuff for distance but haven't because I don't feel 'disabled' enough to validate it )?

There is a charge becasue the hospitals sub contract the service(just how hard is it to run a car park?).

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 10:04   #36
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I dont know if this question has been asked before..(sorry memory not that good),...but what do they class as disabled these days?
i knew someone who had angina, could not walk for....etc, but he was refused , how come?
Old 19-07-2007, 10:17   #37
God Member

Here is a useful link for car parking and transport for all local hospitals.

Travel Information - www.elht.nhs.uk

Old 19-07-2007, 10:20   #38
Resident Waffler

Dunno Panther but the transport to hospitals is a lottery too. My mother was taken to A&E in an ambulance with an injured leg but left to find her own way home with stitches and bandage round her leg. A note was given to her basically saying that the hospital does not supply a free taxi service and that she should obtain a lift from a friend or relative or get a taxi.

This was an elderly lady in a rather distressed condition and without a purse on her.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 10:26   #39
Resident Waffler

When it was A&E at the Infirmary there was a regular bus from Accy (the Darwen one) but it's not so regular now it's Queen's Park and I always seem to come out after the last Accy bus has gone. I can get one to Blackburn and then one from Blackburn to Accy but it's more long winded and hanging about for the bus. I tend to depend on a taxi. After being poked and prodded about the last thing I want to be doing is standing around for buses.

Old 19-07-2007, 10:34   #40
God Member

Quote:
Dunno Panther but the transport to hospitals is a lottery too. My mother was taken to A&E in an ambulance with an injured leg but left to find her own way home with stitches and bandage round her leg. A note was given to her basically saying that the hospital does not supply a free taxi service and that she should obtain a lift from a friend or relative or get a taxi.

This was an elderly lady in a rather distressed condition and without a purse on her.
Ambulances are for A&E and quite rightly should not be used as taxis.
A simple request to reception to call a friend or relative would probably resolved the situation.
Taking an ambulance away from emergency service for reasons other than emergency would not be in the public interest.

Old 19-07-2007, 10:48   #41
Resident Waffler

No-one would have been available Royboy as all who had cars would have been at work.

You have just emphasised the point that there was no free transport available even though she had an injury.

Old 19-07-2007, 11:43   #42
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
not up here they dont,any private carpark blue badge holders still have to pay,there are however more than enough places (middle of town)free for bbh,and as for paying for parking in hospitals i think thats wrong for anyone having to pay,is there not a free pickup service for those who attend hospital for treatment? and as for parking it should be everyone pays or everyone get it free
I should have made it clear that the free parking is for Municipal car parks and on street Pay and Display.

Last edited by jambutty; 19-07-2007 at 11:45.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 12:12   #43
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Hospital Disabled Parking Charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I dont know if this question has been asked before..(sorry memory not that good),...but what do they class as disabled these days?
i knew someone who had angina, could not walk for....etc, but he was refused , how come?
Don’t worry about your memory or lack of it. Poor memory gets us all in the end to some degree.

If a person cannot walk unaided and it is a permanent condition then they qualify for a Blue Badge. That would include a blind person or someone who is so mentally disabled that they would be a danger to themselves and others but does not include someone with a broken leg (it is unlikely to be permanent). I understand that surprisingly someone with a false leg would not qualify. If a person experiences pain that forces them to stop and rest whilst walking a short distance, they too will qualify for a Blue Badge. The distance seems to be in the region of 30 yards or so but as far as I know there is no actual distance quoted.

A person who qualifies for the mobility component of DLA would automatically qualify for a Blue Badge. I’m not too sure about this but I think that there is also an age limit. Meaning that after a certain age you cannot get a Blue Badge but if you have one before that age limit you keep it for all time.

However all conditions would need verification from their GP and maybe even a doctor appointed by the Blue Badge issuing department.

A Blue Badge is issued to the person whether they happen to drive a car or not. Thus you can take a Blue Badge holder in your car, display the Blue Badge and park just about anywhere on the road (within certain restrictions) or in parking bays reserved for Blue Badge holders.

Misuse of a Blue Badge can earn a £1,000 fine for the misuser AND THE BONA FIDE BADGE HOLDER and loss of the Blue Badge.
Old 19-07-2007, 12:17   #44
God Member

Quote:
No-one would have been available Royboy as all who had cars would have been at work.

You have just emphasised the point that there was no free transport available even though she had an injury.
If my mother had been taken to hospital by ambulance one of my family members would be there for her work or not.
One of the first things the medical staff would ask 'Is here anyone you would like us to contact?'
Free transport by ambulance was provided by the Ambulance Service to take your mum to hospital, that is where the contract ends.
If it was considered unsafe to send the lady home by the medical staff they would have not allowed her to go.

Old 19-07-2007, 18:45   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is ridiculous to charge staff to park at work. I have never had to pay to park at work. Where I work at the moment you park inside the secure car park with a card to get in and a big fence around it with cameras everywhere.

You forgot to mention that your £7.80 does not even guarantee you a parking space and that if it is full you have to pay to park on the other car park.
I didn't mention it Neil because getting a space for me when I get there 0830hrs isn't a problem and I haven't heard anyone complaining about spaces, it looks like the price as gone up now too, I've been off for 10 months so weren't aware of that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..