Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2012, 00:23   #136

Re: Omg ott! DNA for dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

To keep them going you don't just need the "Poop" that has been scooped. They end up having to top them up with high quality maize which is at a premium and it just isn't financially viable. As an alternative, in N. Europe they mince up the remains of animals that die on farms and feed that in ...not a nice reality and will probably have the animal rights folk up in arms -but that is he reality of this particular science. The digesters cost millions to set up (many of which come from EU grants to agriculture) and run so ...at the end of the day they are not a viable "ecological" option for now at least.
What's the process of a methane digester? Does it work anything like a gasification plant?
PM01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2012, 09:50   #137
Senior Member+

Its on the front page of the Lancs Evening Telegraph today(so it must be true) under the heading "Name and Shame" irresponsible dog owners will have their photo taken(in Blackburn) and the photo posted on lampposts. I think this is possible a step to far and sound to me that this issue is taking on monster proportions.
I know that this is a problem as some owners will not pick up after their dogs, but I think that the legislation exists already to prosecute these owners. Lets focus on enforcement rather than having people hide in the bushes with cameras wearing night vision goggles, this action could be misconstrued.

Plus all it will mean is that people will be going out in disguise, I myself will have to put on my false beard, whilst wearing a frock with a clog and a pump on my feet,................................. again.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 09:55   #138
Give, give, give member

Will humans, who plop in public places, have their dog's photograph displayed on lamp-posts, to shame their pooches?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:06   #139
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Its on the front page of the Lancs Evening Telegraph today(so it must be true) under the heading "Name and Shame" irresponsible dog owners will have their photo taken(in Blackburn) and the photo posted on lampposts. I think this is possible a step to far and sound to me that this issue is taking on monster proportions.
I know that this is a problem as some owners will not pick up after their dogs, but I think that the legislation exists already to prosecute these owners. Lets focus on enforcement rather than having people hide in the bushes with cameras wearing night vision goggles, this action could be misconstrued.

Plus all it will mean is that people will be going out in disguise, I myself will have to put on my false beard, whilst wearing a frock with a clog and a pump on my feet,................................. again.
Naming and Shaming is a better idea than DNA, these people will cringe at the thought of being named and shamed
Old 24-03-2012, 10:42   #140
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM01 View Post
What's the process of a methane digester? Does it work anything like a gasification plant?
Anaerobic digestion and gasification are both ways of turning biomass into renewable energy. In the former, the biodegradable waste material is broken down by micro organisms in the absence of oxygen, the end result being mainly methane which can be used as a fuel.

In gasification the biomass is heated to high temperatures with a controlled amount of oxygen to produce a mixture of hydrogen and other gases which again can be used as a fuel. It was the process used in the early gasworks until they were superseded by the use of natural gas whose formula is more akin to the product of an anaerobic digester, being mainly methane.

Here ends today's chemistry lesson!
Old 24-03-2012, 11:08   #141
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

From dog turd to higher Chemistry ! See, Accy web, a font of all knowledge & not just idle chit chat & blather.
Old 24-03-2012, 11:25   #142
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
From dog turd to higher Chemistry ! See, Accy web, a font of all knowledge & not just idle chit chat & blather.
Makes a change from balls, Dave, whether of the canine or footie variety...
Old 24-03-2012, 12:09   #143
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Anaerobic digestion and gasification are both ways of turning biomass into renewable energy. In the former, the biodegradable waste material is broken down by micro organisms in the absence of oxygen, the end result being mainly methane which can be used as a fuel.

In gasification the biomass is heated to high temperatures with a controlled amount of oxygen to produce a mixture of hydrogen and other gases which again can be used as a fuel. It was the process used in the early gasworks until they were superseded by the use of natural gas whose formula is more akin to the product of an anaerobic digester, being mainly methane.

Here ends today's chemistry lesson!
I have an anaerobic digester at the moment, she is sat on the settee, and I can confirm that the gas given off could power a small village
Old 24-03-2012, 12:12   #144
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I have an anaerobic digester at the moment, she is sat on the settee, and I can confirm that the gas given off could power a small village
That's no way to talk about your better half Dave!
Old 24-03-2012, 12:17   #145
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Naming and Shaming is a better idea than DNA, these people will cringe at the thought of being named and shamed
Jay
Enforcement should be enough, if we cant manage with the legislation as it is, then why collect the evidence and compile a database, or snoop about taking photos, we wont be able to enforce that either.

Lets have a license for dogs collected locally to be used to enforce the current laws, and the fines then put in the pot as well. This would incentivise the council as the more efficient they are the more cash is available
Old 24-03-2012, 12:21   #146
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's no way to talk about your better half Dave!
Sue,
You will notice I was very careful with my typing, I didnt actualy say it was my wife, it could have been my girlfriend.

Just dont show her this, or I will be in deap doodoo, and there we have it we are back on thread again
Old 24-03-2012, 12:26   #147
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Sue,
You will notice I was very careful with my typing, I didnt actualy say it was my wife, it could have been my girlfriend.

Just dont show her this, or I will be in deap doodoo, and there we have it we are back on thread again
Actually I thought you were referring to your dog... canine variety
Old 24-03-2012, 12:43   #148
Senior Member+

Quote:
Actually I thought you were referring to your dog... canine variety
No, its definitely my wife, well I think thats were the smell is coming from, there is also the possibility that its me
Old 24-03-2012, 13:18   #149
Senior Member+

Dog Licences will not be enforcible as there will always be owners who will not bother . That type of owner would not bother if anything happened to their dogs
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 13:56   #150
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Jay
Enforcement should be enough, if we cant manage with the legislation as it is, then why collect the evidence and compile a database, or snoop about taking photos, we wont be able to enforce that either.

Lets have a license for dogs collected locally to be used to enforce the current laws, and the fines then put in the pot as well. This would incentivise the council as the more efficient they are the more cash is available
Err um I thought that was more or less what I was saying Dave, the legislation is in place to deal with these people no need to go OTT

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..