Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2012, 12:08   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Omg ott! DNA for dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thought bizzy was a cop in Liverpool Dave
it is , but I used in the context of "bizzed me pants" if im allowed to say that
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2012, 12:26   #62
Give, give, give member

Here's two more recent front page non-stories, which were published, after receiving the information from someone at H.B.C.

£2m bid to bring back 'heritage look' to Accrington town centre street | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

£2.5m plan to restore Accrington Arcade | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

When you wade through all the guff, basically a bid has been put in for Lottery funding, which means that unless the bid is successful, the schemes are just pie in the sky.

If you're going to use the press to try and create positive public relation stories, from which you hope to gain politically, you must also be prepared that they'll sometimes use you for their own ends. Which is to sell papers.

It's risky.

Especially for an amateur.

You sometimes end up with egg on your face.

Or in this case, dog crap.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 15:15   #63
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It looks as though Ken is being targeted by this misreporting.

I wonder which member of the opposition he most upset, and is malicious enough to encourage the Observer to publish such stuff
You should be a reporter, planting the seed in peoples head so they go off thinking all sorts of nonsense.

I think Ken handled the story very well. He told them what he knows and the reporter wrote the story from that.
Old 18-03-2012, 15:26   #64
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When you wade through all the guff, basically a bid has been put in for Lottery funding, which means that unless the bid is successful, the schemes are just pie in the sky.
These bids always need community consultation and involvement and this usually has to be demonstrated in the bid. The downside of over publicising these bids is that the public start to think you are useless when they don't succeed.

What many people don't realise is that a successful bid is by no means a certainty. As an example, one of the groups I am involved with has just been offered some extra money on the back of a recent project. Only 40 out of 1000 were offered this so 960 were unlucky.
Old 18-03-2012, 17:43   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Here's two more recent front page non-stories, which were published, after receiving the information from someone at H.B.C.

£2m bid to bring back 'heritage look' to Accrington town centre street | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

£2.5m plan to restore Accrington Arcade | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

If you're going to use the press to try and create positive public relation stories, from which you hope to gain politically, you must also be prepared that they'll sometimes use you for their own ends. Which is to sell papers.

It's risky.

Especially for an amateur.

You sometimes end up with egg on your face.

Or in this case, dog crap.
Using the press for political purposes always has a plus and minus to it, can't say it makes much difference now, well not with the obs, but in the old days when Murvyn was the editor, the journalism at the obs was quite good and there were reporters that were prepared to go out into the community to gather news stories and not just sit at the end of a telephone waiting for it to come to them, that why we're getting a lot of none stories, because nobody cares about the truth anymore, never has the saying Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, been more relevant than today
Old 18-03-2012, 19:08   #66
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Using the press for political purposes always has a plus and minus to it, can't say it makes much difference now, well not with the obs, but in the old days when Murvyn was the editor, the journalism at the obs was quite good and there were reporters that were prepared to go out into the community to gather news stories and not just sit at the end of a telephone waiting for it to come to them, that why we're getting a lot of none stories, because nobody cares about the truth anymore, never has the saying Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, been more relevant than today
I think thats a very unfair comment. How many reporters were there in the old days as you put it? I suspect more than now.
Old 18-03-2012, 19:24   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
These bids always need community consultation and involvement and this usually has to be demonstrated in the bid. The downside of over publicising these bids is that the public start to think you are useless when they don't succeed.

What many people don't realise is that a successful bid is by no means a certainty. As an example, one of the groups I am involved with has just been offered some extra money on the back of a recent project. Only 40 out of 1000 were offered this so 960 were unlucky.
Oh I quite agree.

I think it's daft for it to be announced to the press, at this stage, when nothing's happened, other than a bid for funding has been made.

The press then run with this 'good news' (non-) story.

I don't blame the press.

They work with information that's been fed to them.

It's as pie in the sky as someone announcing they're buying a yacht, because they've just purchased a lottery ticket.

If you use the press to garner political advantage for yourself, don't be too suprised if they sometimes use you.

Even an 'off-the-cuff', unguarded remark, can prove profitable.

As with the front page story about Ken, and his DNA doggy plop-plops.

Old 18-03-2012, 19:30   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think thats a very unfair comment. How many reporters were there in the old days as you put it? I suspect more than now.
That's what he's saying.

No disrespect to today's reporters.

They do the best they can, with limited time, and resources.

The days of a busy Observer newsroom, with investagtive reporting, has long gone.

Old 18-03-2012, 19:34   #69
Give, give, give member

The press, on the whole, does still print the truth.

They can face legal action, when they don't.

Even if we think something's really not very newsworthy.

As in this case.

What they ran with, is basically what Ken Moss posted on here.

Just with a bit of spin.

Though apparently still the truth.

Old 18-03-2012, 21:06   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The press, on the whole, does still print the truth.

They can face legal action, when they don't.

Even if we think something's really not very newsworthy.

As in this case.

What they ran with, is basically what Ken Moss posted on here.

Just with a bit of spin.

Though apparently still the truth.
Well if they want real bull, they should try kestrelx posts.
Old 19-03-2012, 08:28   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think that's a very unfair comment. How many reporters were there in the old days as you put it? I suspect more than now.
Its not about numbers Neil, the old school Observer ALL the reporters went out into the public they didn't just site on their hands waiting for news to come to them, the nearest you get to a reporter these days is if they send out a photographer. I can remember the deputy Editor coming round to see me a number of occasions back in the nineties, to follow up a story, that wouldn't happen today
Old 19-03-2012, 12:30   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Its not about numbers Neil, the old school Observer ALL the reporters went out into the public they didn't just site on their hands waiting for news to come to them, the nearest you get to a reporter these days is if they send out a photographer. I can remember the deputy Editor coming round to see me a number of occasions back in the nineties, to follow up a story, that wouldn't happen today
It is about numbers, they don't have the time to do that now.
Old 19-03-2012, 17:55   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It is about numbers, they don't have the time to do that now.
Well lets put it this way if you were a self driven journalist, would you be happy just to sit at the end of a telephone waiting for somebody to ring you with a story, you can't research any story sat on your backside that's why the Obs is now a waste of space
Old 19-03-2012, 18:44   #74
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
you can't research any story sat on your backside
Of course you can, you look it up on wiki.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 19:09   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Of course you can, you look it up on wiki.
Ya can't research Trout Rustling in Tinker Brook on Wiki Less

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..