Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 01:01   #76
God Member

Re: Snowball Incident

The riots in Greece started when police shot dead a 15 year old who had thrown stones at their car.
That, and this local incident, might at least make the young uns think twice about throwing anything at passing cars.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
eeerm the person I replied to seemed to think it was OK .. hence the reply and the responses to that reply... did you miss a post ?
yes i do think it was alright for the guy to put the kid in his car and instead of asking me if i think its ok why not read my previous post where i said i thought it was ok and where i also said that if my son was taken to a police station for commiting a crime against soemone i would be appologetic to him and ashamed that my son had done what he had done then severely talking to my child

the guy hasnt broken any law or he would have been arrsted for it but you namb pamby lot simply cant resist making a mountain out of a mole hill

they guy wasnt a pedophile he was a victim of an attack which could have caused death to the driver or others around him and teh bratt needed seeing to so if bundleing the bratt into teh back of a car and driving him to teh police station was what was needed then so be it

if you dont want your kid bundling into the back of a car and taking to the local police station bring your kid up better

if this had been a 16 year old caught mugging an old lady and the man threw him into the back of his car and took him to the police station there wouldnt be all this fuss infact he would be hailed a hero

if you ever get attacked and choose to sit back and take it then thats your choice but this man decided rightly and within his rihts to take action its just a shame the spinless folk can only muster up critisism

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by Mick; 08-12-2008 at 04:48.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:58   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
yes i do think it was alright for the guy to put the kid in his car and instead of asking me if i think its ok why not read my previous post where i said i thought it was ok and where i also said that if my son was taken to a police station for commiting a crime against soemone i would be appologetic to him and ashamed that my son had done what he had done then severely talking to my child

the guy hasnt broken any law or he would have been arrsted for it but you namb pamby lot simply cant resist making a mountain out of a mole hill

they guy wasnt a pedophile he was a victim of an attack which could have caused death to the driver or others around him and teh bratt needed seeing to so if bundleing the bratt into teh back of a car and driving him to the police station was what was needed then so be it

if you dont want your kid bundling into the back of a car and taking to the local police station bring your kid up better

if this had been a 16 year old caught mugging an old lady and the man threw him into the back of his car and took him to the police station there wouldnt be all this fuss infact he would be hailed a hero

if you ever get attacked and choose to sit back and take it then thats your choice but this man decided rightly and within his rihts to take action its just a shame the spinless folk can only muster up critisism
If the lad had been a sixteen year old I think this guy may just have thought twice about throwing him in the back of the car for any reason, as for mustering up criticism accuman, when you detain anybody and throw them in the back of your car, you may be lucky not to be charged yourself, in fact 'm surprised that this guy wasn't, we hear all to often the victims ending up as the accused
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Don't think anyone agrees with putting the lad in the car.
Kids need discipline and direction.
Actually, given the circumstances - that the kid was hanging out with a load to delinquents with no social conscience - I think he was better off in the back of a law abiding citizens car being taken to the police station, than continuing to get into trouble on the streets of Rishton. not only was he better off but so was society and less him if his asthma was playing up he was better off in the warm than out in the snow.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:58   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If the lad had been a sixteen year old I think this guy may just have thought twice about throwing him in the back of the car for any reason, as for mustering up criticism accuman, when you detain anybody and throw them in the back of your car, you may be lucky not to be charged yourself, in fact 'm surprised that this guy wasn't, we hear all to often the victims ending up as the accused
citizens arrests are and can be a dodgy ground but from what iv read up on teh guy was within his rights and teh police seem to think so too as he isnt bee charged

Quote:
From 1st January 2006 the citizens power of arrest has changed.
This area of law is very complex and the following is only basic guidance. The law states that,
  • Any person can arrest a person who is in the act of committing an indictable offence or
  • Anyone whom he reasonably suspects to be committing such an offence, if
    • it is not reasonably practicable for a constable to make the arrest instead and
    • it is necessary to arrest the person for one of the below reasons,
To prevent the person in question,
    • causing physical injury to himself or any other person;
    • suffering physical injury;
    • causing loss of or damage to property; or
    • making off before a constable can assume responsibility for him.
There a few points to raise about the above paragraph.
  1. What is an indictable offence?
  2. How do I know if I can make a citizens arrest?
1. An indictable offence is an offence that can be tried at Crown Court. Below are examples of indictable offences which are the most likely to be encountered by members of the public,
  • theft
  • burglary
  • criminal damage.
2. You can make an arrest if the suspect is actually committing the offence or if you reasonably suspect them of committing it, or when the offence has been committed and you reasonably suspect them of having committed it.
There is no specific wording to use when making a citizens arrest. However you must inform the person you are arresting as soon as possible what you are doing, why you are doing it and what offence you believe the person has committed.
There are other considerations to make when making an arrest,
  • reasonable force - see question in related information for details on reasonable force.
  • potential for civil litigation - The courts are sympathetic to public spirited citizens and the exercise of their powers and rights. However, if you get it wrong you could be sued for unlawful arrest and/or false imprisonment.
Do not make a citizens arrest if you feel that you would be putting yourself or any other person in danger, ring 999
the citizens arrest laws can be a little vague in areas and can be used to support either sides argument for or against this man but the police have the final say and they said no offence was commited

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53   #81
K-P

Quote:
yes i do think it was alright for the guy to put the kid in his car
Oh well each to his own I guess..
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Oh well each to his own I guess..
I can see both sides of this, I really do know where you are coming from though, I do think it is a bit iffy. I think it would have been safer to detain him and call the Police while keeping the boy in public view at all times.
Old 08-12-2008, 13:20   #83
God Member

the thing that irks me the most is that the bloke is been protrayed as doing a bad thing when he wasnt as far as the law is concerned and the bratt is been protrayed as some helpless victim

im pretty sure there were plenty of people saw this bloke put the kid in his car and these people also probably saw what had happened hence no reports of people chasing after him and reporting a kidnapping

im just glad there are some people left who are willing to stand up to these little yobs that have taken over our streets and not cower away from doing the right thing out of fear of what people might say.

whatever people think about this at least theres one little bratt whos gonna think twice about throwing things at cars and hopefully those that witnessed what happened will now have second thoughts too

Old 08-12-2008, 13:26   #84
K-P

Hang on a minute accyman? who is portraying the kid as some helpless victim? I ahve re read the thread and I dont see it.. please show me where ANYONE is saying ANYTHING like that

I think its wrong for any adult to touch anyone elses kids let alone bundle them into a car.. I also stated that the kid shouldnt be allowed to get away with it and i also stated that like you i think any right minded parent would be mortified and apologetic..

Are you just making things up now to try and justify your post that you think its ok for complete strangers to bundle kids into cars ?
Old 08-12-2008, 13:28   #85
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
im just glad there are some people left who are willing to stand up to these little yobs that have taken over our streets and not cower away from doing the right thing out of fear of what people might say.
that is good, he might have been better detaining him then calling the Police, they must come out quick after explained you have made a citizens arrest on a kid and are detaining them. You would be covered by informing the Police straight away as well.
Old 08-12-2008, 13:31   #86
K-P

Neil.. so you ahve kids and you would let a stranger take one off the street and away without you knowing ? you say you can see both sides.. so is that right..?
Old 08-12-2008, 13:41   #87
Senior Member+

how did he get the kid to stay in the car? or have i missed something?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:43   #88
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Neil.. so you ahve kids and you would let a stranger take one off the street and away without you knowing ? you say you can see both sides.. so is that right..?
Read my last post upwards - that is what I think he should have done. I do think it is a shame most of us are too scared to address kids when they are causing trouble/breaking the law these days.
Old 08-12-2008, 13:43   #89
God Member

Quote:

Are you just making things up now to try and justify your post that you think its ok for complete strangers to bundle kids into cars ?
no i am going of what comments i have read both on here and the website of the newspaper where its made out that the guy was kidnapping by some

sory if i cant be bothered putting mass quotes but anyone whos read both sites can see that some people think what this guy did was mortifying and paramount to kidnapping

also i dont need to justify a damn thing, my opinion is just as valid as yours or anyone elses and as a father of a 12 year old boy myself i can look at this and think what if it was my son and conclude that i would be ok with a member of the public taking my son to the police station if he commited such a dangerous act and be rest assured my son would feel the back of my hand and you wouldnt find me running to the local rag crying kidnap

Old 08-12-2008, 13:45   #90
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Read my last post upwards - that is what I think he should have done. .
So you dont think he should have bundled the kid in the car and your comment saying you can see both sides was a red herring.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..