Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2011, 19:41   #46
Full Member+

Re: 7 Released

Would be a good one for you I reckon. Shame he did not fit the plan here but as others have said its pointless paying someone to warm the bench.....still doesn't explain Murphy though
Old 23-05-2011, 19:42   #47
God Member

I hope chris remembered to leave my shirt behind lol

But have to say that from murmurings it was more about attitude than just football.

I for one completely believe in jimmy and john after this season, especially if you go back 12 months and remember how we felt at the end of last season when we were losing good players and many thought "OH NO!! what are we going to do??? it's not looking good" etc etc....

So I will just have faith

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:04   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You seem to have contradicted yourself there
was thinking the same.........if my views dont fit i should keep quiet in the future
katei77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:06   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
I hope chris remembered to leave my shirt behind lol

But have to say that from murmurings it was more about attitude than just football.

I for one completely believe in jimmy and john after this season, especially if you go back 12 months and remember how we felt at the end of last season when we were losing good players and many thought "OH NO!! what are we going to do??? it's not looking good" etc etc....

So I will just have faith
dont worry after the game fri he was asked for his shirt but said it was already paid for im guessing sponors
Old 23-05-2011, 20:16   #50
God Member

Can only echo the comments about DJ. Thought that with time and work he could've been moulded into an Adam Johnson type of winger as he was equally adept at crossing with both feet and loved nothing more than to make defenders do a poo. I'm really, really gutted that it hasn't worked out for him here, for whatever reason. He was the only player to look like he might create a goal for us in 180 play-off minutes, despite only playing in 30 of them.

The only releasee I'm surprised about is Tom Smyth. I thought he looked like a tidy player in his brief appearances. Oh well, what do I know.

Good luck to all who have not been offered a contract and thank you for your time & efforts. It's a sad time of year this

Last edited by shakermaker; 23-05-2011 at 20:21. Reason: sp
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:23   #51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
What a load of rubbish that is !!! We have one of the smallest squads in the league 2 and the lowest wage bill in the football league and probably the conference aswell included!!
it may have escaped your attention but we have the second lowest gates in the FL (think we were about 50 spectators per match above Macc this season). We also have lower gates than around half of the Blue Square clubs. We've also lost large sums of money from the demise of major sponsors. Also, we can't expect Ilyas to keep dipping his hand into his pocket ad infinitum. So we have to cut our coat according to our cloth and that means getting shut of some of the bench warmers (whether we agree with Coley's final choices or not). We cannot repeat the mistake of living beyond our means...we've already been there, done and got the T-shirt...twice!!
Old 23-05-2011, 20:28   #52

oh why dont we have a `like` button
Old 23-05-2011, 20:48   #53
God Member

Smile Re: 7 Released

You have a Karma button

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:56   #54

Im gutted that chris as been released good luck to him and the other players that have been released
hasyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:09   #55
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Redraine,I agree with your post but against Stevenage,they went 4-4-2 in the second half,with craney being pushed up alongside Terry,then they brought Chris on as the system suited him,it didnt make much difference (although having 9 men didnt help ).
By releasing players,it also releases places in the squad to freshen things up .
Also important you have a balanced squad in terms of training , not just playing , Top players wont sit on the bench for ever,but young and fringe players will
I dissagree F19up to when our 2 got sent off we had began to play and had started forcing stevenage back,and IF the sendings off hadn't occurred,then i think we would have gone on to win IMHO
Old 23-05-2011, 21:11   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

simple fact of the matter is folk that pays there money are entitled to opinions, agree or disagree, what must be remembered is the fact Coley has never let the club down once (unlike some that have now gone) his record of improving position every season, proves that fact beyond any doubt. no manager in the game can equal that fact oer 10 yrs or more, i have disagreed wi a few things no question, but end of the day thats why i'm sat here on me arse n coleys the manager. roll on next season.
Old 24-05-2011, 07:29   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Maybe we should ask Brett Ormerod to come back to us, he is being released by Blackpool. Somehow though, I think we can never match his wages, which is a shame really. Would make a wonderful foil forf Terry Gornell up front playing 4-4-2 or even 4-4-1-1
Firing Stanley into League One, he won't need much money he's just been in the Premier League!!
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 08:43   #58
Senior Member+

Mab , i think i may of misled you with my comment,i was trying to point out that Coleman changed the system,but it made no difference to the game.
I wasnt being critical of chris(who did well when he came on),as he was put in a no win situation.
One point people seem to miss here is that players dont just get released for being a bad player,there are many reasons,one being another has been lined up!!!
A lot of released players do get offered contracts,but choose to leave as normally these are less than what there on.
The manager has to manage a budget,and his track record suggests hes bloody good at it !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 09:00   #59
Resting In Peace

According to LET, Turner was offered a lower paid contract but turned it down. OK, players like Murphy and Lidfield may not set the world on fire but we need a squad and that means fringe players who warm the bench. My guess is that Murphy and Lindfield may not be on much above the basic wage and that Turner was on a lot more, so it makes sense to keep the lower paid bench warmers and release the higher paid in order to offer the regular first team players a better deal.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 09:27   #60
Senior Member+

Spot on Jeff , plus there are hundreds of first and second year pros that have been released and looking for clubs and the cycle starts again.
Cant stress enough the job Coley and Bell have done to attract these players,and hopefully unearths another Ryan,putterill,etc..oh, i better mention Deano lol
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..