Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2014, 22:08   #31
Senior Member+

Re: How to increase attendances?

Not quite about attendances but why not send letters into school offering, 1 kids and an adults ticket and a kids shirt for X amount (Not quite sure how much it is to produce a kids shirt) But make the shirt as cheap as possible!

Soon as 1 kid has a Stanley shirt, His mate will want one!

We need people talking about Accrington Stanley, We have to go to them, They wont just come to us!
Old 23-03-2014, 22:19   #32
Senior Member+

Some signage on the M65 would be a worthwhile investment, those random football signs are meaningless.
Maybe a fundraiser required?

Lots of clubs seem to focus on the non match day revenue, I have been to quiet a few football grounds on non match days for meetings, conferences. etc.

I do firmly believe if you offer the right walk on price package, you will benefit more than book early deals or varying price schemes depending on a match rating.
Pendle Red likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:15   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Not quite about attendances but why not send letters into school offering, 1 kids and an adults ticket and a kids shirt for X amount (Not quite sure how much it is to produce a kids shirt) But make the shirt as cheap as possible!

We need people talking about Accrington Stanley, We have to go to them, They wont just come to us!
Last line is it in a nutshell

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:20   #34
God Member

The biggest sticking point will always come back to money with the Club.

That for me is not about people fundraising but the Club engaging.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 06:45   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post

well said Baldy.

Not enough investment is ever made on infrastructure as every spare penny is grabbed by the manager season upon season. The long term picture is that the longer that goes on for the harder it will be to earn those pennies.

I'm not sure where we're at with debts etc but hopefully the next player sale will mean a windfall for infrastructure? Hire a big team of sales professionals on low wage big incentive deals. That will guarantee them getting out and about.
Old 24-03-2014, 07:19   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
Another idea is working with Ossy Mills again? they have so many people walking through that place its unreal! Get the merchandise selling in their with a ticket option too at the counters?

It has been put back on track over the last couple of months, if you go in now you will see the merchandise section is growing back again. A few weeks ago it was a small glass case, now we have nearly all the wall back.

Not sure about the ticket option, 1 how it could be managed and 2 if the customer base is going to come to Stanley. A large percentage ( my opinion not their facts I have to add ) of their customer base are day trippers who are very unlikely to come to a match. I will ask for the facts though.

Some good points there, in particuar the one about facilities. The die hard fans will accept anything even if they have to pee in a bucket but somehow the money needs to be found to smarten things up for the 'casual' visitor in the hope they are impressed enough to keep coming back.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:22   #37
Senior Member+

I feel the club officials have been very active in the pursuit of attracting new fans hence this post to explore new avenues, I can't see us pinching many fans from Blackburn or Burnley, creating fans from non football enthusiasts is even more remote, if the attendance cannot be rectified then maybe there is the option of increased income from use of the club facilities
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 11:44   #38

It's a pity that Stanley's home matches are on the same Saturday's as the Rovers because I know quite a few Rovers fans who would go to watch Stanley otherwise.
duckworth likes this.
cjrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:03   #39
Junior Member+

Although more of a league based issue, I coached football in the US for the Galaxy and Revolution academies in the late 90's/ early 00's and saw how they built up attendances to what they are now.

The main thing noticeable was the whole experience such as the day starting with fans football games in the mornings, inflatable football table (where kids strap themselves in), free raffles, etc. However, the main thing was people were encouraged to set up their own BBQ's etc and make a day of it with players walking around meeting the kids and the like.

Inside the ground the kids were kept involved with free face painting, song sheets (similar to what the barmy army do) and the chance to have a penalty competition on the pitch beforehand, which was amazing at the Rosebowl. The biggest winner was they gave you a voucher with a players name on it and if he scored first then you won a prize of the day. It could be a tiny scarf, burger from a local take-away (Free advertising in return) but it meant the kids learnt the players and as such if they saw them in the city then they would make a big deal of them.

Anyway not been the Crown for a few years as I'm now in Perth but it seems similar. Perth Glory try similar stuff but give all boarding houses and schools lots of tickets about 2 weeks prior or give free tickets for all on the 1st game of the season to encourage people down. They also have fanfest's and the like and the ticket used to include free public transport meaning that people travelled a fair distance to attend.

Last edited by TheWall; 24-03-2014 at 12:05.
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:04   #40

I wonder how many of the 100 or so ex Great Harwood Town regulars we have managed to attract.

Went out of business same year as we got back in the league.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:35   #41

All well and good giving tickets to schools and I understand the logic, get em young etc, but what about targeting workplaces, give away tickets every week to a local firm, get them to sponsor the man of match, its not like they will be taking a paying customers seat.

Now it looks like this ship has sailed for a least a season but the Burnley/Bburn derby twice a season should be £10 offer game, if they play Saturday move it to Friday or Sunday.

And on the subject of Friday games please please use your brain and arrange them either early or late in the season when the weather has at least a chance of being fine, walkons dont want to leave the house in the ****ing down rain on a cold winter night!!!
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:47   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrk View Post
It's a pity that Stanley's home matches are on the same Saturday's as the Rovers because I know quite a few Rovers fans who would go to watch Stanley otherwise.
Stanley games must be on the same Saturday as either Rovers or Burnley. I suspect a few Burnley fans will come to watch Stanley. It's roundabouts and swings!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
Now it looks like this ship has sailed for a least a season but the Burnley/Bburn derby twice a season should be £10 offer game, if they play Saturday move it to Friday or Sunday.
I don't think we need to worry about the Blackburn / Burnley Derby for a few seasons
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:18   #44
Senior Member+

Well this really is the million dollar question..........

My humble opinion....

As others have said, during our conference/ unibond days we used to the "cheap" local option for the casual supporter, especially when Rovers or Burnley where on a long away trip.

No doubt our esteemed ex-chairman Mr Whalley didnt help the situation with his total lack of knowledge in marketing the club. Along with the well publicized financial situation/ betting scenario having a HUGE detrimental effect on local peoples attitude to the club.

Unfortunately as prices have risen along with our league status, so the economy has dipped meaning money is tighter for everybody.

Make no mistake its just not a stanley problem. In the early 90's when I used to love Man U as a kid you had to apply for tickets for EVERY single home league fixture, as well as joining the official supporters club, and even then you chances of success where only 1 in 4. Now you can get a ticket for almost every game at old trafford quite easily, with the exception of Champions League knockout stages and Manchester derby etc etc.

Even looking at my situation, its a 270 mile round trip to come to a home game, a journey which I didnt used to think twice about making every other weekend. But as the purse strings have become tighter ive also had to cut back. (£50 in fuel before I even think about match ticket, pie etc etc)

Yes our match ticket prices are the joint cheapest in the league on most games, but lets be honest our facilities are of a much poorer standard to the rest of League 2, especially now the likes of Macclesfield have been relegated.

Is a new ground the answer?? Ultimately yes... but at what cost??? and will it attract a hoard of new fans?? Morecambe's new ground is a good facility but it hasn't exactly ignited their attendances either. If rumours are to be believed they are still paying for it now, and will be for a long time. A burden which im 100% we cant afford.

The Ultra's , with all their displays and enthusiasm used to be a massive draw for particularly the younger generation, but since the flags etc have mostly gone its stunted their growth in numbers. Also agree with the point about stewarding which at times I have seen is absolutely dreadful, both in terms of attitude and professionalism.

So what would I do............?

1. Continue with the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley schools push, it WILL eventually pay dividens.
2. Somehow try and sort the ultras/ flag situation.
3. Re-educating the stewards on how to be a proper steward, ask Wycombe Wanderers for advice, without doubt the best.
4. Keep prices at a flat £15/£10/£5/£2 (With exception of big cup games)
5. 10 games for £100 needs to come back if possible.
6. More marketing for the lounge and hospitality (Faye)
7. A "subscription" based internet account (Stanley plus or something), £10 a year maybe gets you "inside" access to extra interviews at training or into competition entries.?

I will try and add more to this when I can think some more things up.
sparkie likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:03   #45
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post

The Ultra's , with all their displays and enthusiasm used to be a massive draw for particularly the younger generation, but since the flags etc have mostly gone its stunted their growth in numbers. Also agree with the point about stewarding which at times I have seen is absolutely dreadful, both in terms of attitude and professionalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post

2. Somehow try and sort the ultras/ flag situation.
The Ultras and their support helped us to stand out in the conference - they were the reason most away fans wanted to visit our ground. It feels like the heart and soul of stanley matchdays was taken with the loss of Jase and the whole flag saga....all that is left now that distinguishes us from any other league 2 club is our low attendances and paltry facilities (things that did not matter in the conference days) - and these are the things that any new visitor to the Crown (away fan or potential home fan) takes away with them. I have no doubt if we reclaimed our reputation as the best supporters in the land this would go some way towards increasing gates.
MikeA, baldy, Redraine and 5 others like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..