Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2014, 10:10   #106
Senior Member+

Re: How to increase attendances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
come back to this thread in twelve months time and let's see what has been implemented.
This is crucial. I suspect that a great deal of work done by the Board is just a firefighting exercise. But apart from that, there must surely be a business plan. I have said this many times before. We MUST have a three-year plan, and a five-year plan. If we do not achieve them, so be it. Without such plans, we will never move beyond firefighting.

Furthermore, the plans should be made public. Let's see a club with ambition. I often travel up by train and fans of other clubs are always keen to find out about Stanley. I can say certainly that all of them, without any exception, have been tremendously positive in their view of the team. Yet, so many of them feel that we are let down by a poor public image. It is hard to imagine the damage done by the betting scandals.

So....is there going to be an official response to the many good ideas within this thread? Is the Board going to present a positive, forward-looking plan?

And on a slightly different but related matter .... We have been reading in many posts about the importance of having youngsters involved. But I see them coming out with the players and playing at half time. What happens to these youngsters and their families? Do they come again as supporters? If not, why not? Has anyone thought to do some follow-up work with those youngsters and their families?
cashman, yonmon and smobile like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2014, 10:17   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
This is crucial. I suspect that a great deal of work done by the Board is just a firefighting exercise. But apart from that, there must surely be a business plan. I have said this many times before. We MUST have a three-year plan, and a five-year plan. If we do not achieve them, so be it. Without such plans, we will never move beyond firefighting.

Furthermore, the plans should be made public. Let's see a club with ambition. I often travel up by train and fans of other clubs are always keen to find out about Stanley. I can say certainly that all of them, without any exception, have been tremendously positive in their view of the team. Yet, so many of them feel that we are let down by a poor public image. It is hard to imagine the damage done by the betting scandals.

So....is there going to be an official response to the many good ideas within this thread? Is the Board going to present a positive, forward-looking plan?

And on a slightly different but related matter .... We have been reading in many posts about the importance of having youngsters involved. But I see them coming out with the players and playing at half time. What happens to these youngsters and their families? Do they come again as supporters? If not, why not? Has anyone thought to do some follow-up work with those youngsters and their families?

I'm sure I heard somewhere that JB is happy to hold a fans forum, could all be combined with various members of the board.
Old 28-03-2014, 07:53   #108
Senior Member+

for the rest of the season why dont the club with help from the OSC carry out surveys of home and away fans?

Likewise ask our away fans their thoughts on the away grounds they visited?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 13:02   #109

Smile Re: How to increase attendances?

I suspect that any Company Director understands the personal liability that they would be incurring if they carried on trading in a situation in which the company was unable to meet its future commitments. Hence when a business plan is prepared for the next year or next future years, they may be unwilling to sign off a plan which demonstrates that the company will run into financial difficulty. Therefore, this might encourage them to agree a future plan containing revenue streams (linked to attendancies) which shows the company in more positive light. They may not want to sign off a business plan which includes revenue streams showing the company in a less favourable light. Hence to paraphrase a well known "Stanley saying"......."Optimism overcomes Logic"

Like the directors, I pray everyday that attendancies will improve at Stanley. After all, some of the games we've seen at the club since the first 12 or so have been absolutely the best , for entertainment value.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, let every fan, ask, beg or demand that someone they know comes along to the next game......if we all did this the attendancies would increase .........keep the faith!
cashman likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 23:14   #110

I have been exiled down south since 1951 and not been back 'home' since the Leicester league cup game a few years back. So my 'input' is nowhere near as valid as most and may well not be relevent. However, for what it's worth : How accessable is the ground to the most populated areas of the town ? It seems that folks want doorstep parking these days and I wonder if a Stanley 'park'n ride' is a feasible suggestion to remove any transportation excuse not to attend ? (and provide advertising as it journeys to 'n fro). Last time I came up I recall being very much underwelmed by the facilities to snack and have a pee - is this still a disappointment at the 'stadium' ? Putting a roof on the coppice end may well be outside the budget but if feasible would satisfy the standing preference by making both ends 'home ends', leaving Whinney Hill side to visiting supporters. The chance to stand may encourage extra fans ?
just a thought !
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:24   #111

I am afraid that we will never be able to build crowds while we are still at the crown ground. I know it has a special part in all our hearts but it really belongs to an era of outside lavs and a tin bath in front of the fire.
All those families we want to attract will take a look at the toilets and facilities and make a mental note not to come back. And it's not very good when we expect visiting fans to stand on an uncovered terrace in all kinds of weather.
To say that we cannot afford is not comparable. We have to pay wages, VAT, rates, electric. So we should also provide decent facilities. It's just another cost to running a business.
Fleetwood and Morecambe have developed their stadiums. Yesterday I saw the plans for AFC Fylde new ground. Take a look at Halifax Town, who were in the conference north last season. All of these knock the crown ground into a cocked hat.

I'd like to think the club could do something on this, with the support of Sport England, Football Foundation, Lancs county council, Hyndburn council etc etc

Just my twopenn'orth for what it's worth. Tin hat on!
shadsworthcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:29   #112

Just to add: this is a really good thread and some great contributions.
shadsworthcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:36   #113
God Member

Don't know about Fylde or Halifax but Morecambe were able to build their new ground by selling Christie park to sainsbury's & Fleetwood have had a shedload of money invested by their chairman - having said that, imo both those stadiums are plastic & soulless. Not saying the crown doesn't need updating but I'm not sure moving would be the answer even if we could afford it.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:25   #114
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

How much land belongs to Stanley & what are the chances of development & modernisation? If at all feasible, increased parking with better access & egress, covered areas for catering & facilities all within a single covered complex (a la Northampton six fields). It doesn't have to be bigger just better. As to planning layout & design working with the available structures engage design/architectural students to suggest models.
Old 29-03-2014, 10:29   #115
Super Moderator

Agreed, AM, all this talk of moving to new stadiums is all very well, but it flounders on the rocks on one question - where's the money going to come from?
Old 29-03-2014, 16:56   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Agreed, AM, all this talk of moving to new stadiums is all very well, but it flounders on the rocks on one question - where's the money going to come from?
Has no one ever thought about contacting all the major sports companys Nike, Adidas Puma etc with ACCRINGTON STANLEY FOOTBALL CLUB being the most famous of the twelve founder members they may be interested as long as they get the ground naming rights ie THE UMBRO ASFC STADIUM.... sounds good to me but god forbid not like Morecambe fc or Burton Albion grounds they are awful... just an idea ?
kristo1 likes this.
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:30   #117
Senior Member+

For me we STAY AT THE CROWN GROUND!...Whatever it is called re sponsors etc?
The Crown ground has ALL the history of our modern reincarnation re Jack Barret, Jimmy Hinksman et al.
However, I do feel that we need to improve......no SERIOUSLY improve the infra structure in and around the ground! The toilets at the Clayton End are a disgrace and I hope that they are much better in the away end?!? The areas around the stadium are a mess and full of litter. They could be easily improved with a "volunteer" clean up organised by the fans. The club could then economically get some local builders in to build some retaining walls and fully tarmac the walk on areas and car parks. A few plants, welcoming and informative signs and a regular "tidy up team" could make it much more welcoming for home and away supporters.
I would like to see the club get some sponsorship / grants in order to put a roof on the Coppice End and to build a decent stand on the Whinney Hill side of the ground. Our ground might just start to look like a proper Football League ground rather than a hotch potch Non League ground.
OK ...nice ideas I know and I am not so naive not to realise that it would need some money to come from somewhere but I think that is where we should be aiming on the non playing side.
On the playing side....get James Beatty signed up on a longer contract now and also sign up longer contracts for the large bulk of the players in the current squad too.
ON STANLEY ON
ianray likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 20:51   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The problem wi the crown ground is simple, We don't own it, the sodding council do. the same council that do sod all fer the club in real terms, apart from trying to screw more rent from the club.
Old 29-03-2014, 21:03   #119
God Member

Nice to finally meet you today, Cashers. As we discussed, maybe it's time for the club and Council to bury the past and start to work together again. Neither is gaining anything from what appears from the outside to be a stand-off that's gone on too long. I'm sure there'd be mutual benefit if some bridges could be mended. At League 2 level, the support of a local council can make all the difference, and grant funding agencies like Sport England are more likely to listen if both sides are trying to achieve the same end.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 21:09   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Nice to meet you Exile n yer missus, I have heard from a couple of sources,that the club has tried to build bridges wi em,oer the past couple of years,to no avail. Hope that aint the case?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..