Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2014, 16:07   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: How to increase attendances?

Nail on the head dabeast.
Old 24-03-2014, 16:45   #47
God Member

Only the club and a few over zealous safety officers to thank for that
DAV007 likes this.
Old 24-03-2014, 16:52   #48
Full Member+

Maybe its time for an olive branch?
Old 24-03-2014, 17:46   #49
Senior Member+

I am not sure that the Ultras situation is relevant. I have been trying to find average attendance details since we were promoted. I am sure someone will have them (?Macca). But from figures I have looked at, our average attendance in 2008/9 was 1415 and in 2012/13 it was 1539. I cannot guarantee that these figures are correct. If they are, they seem to suggest that the Ultras "problem" does not help the debate.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 18:03   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I think the atmosphere created by the Ultras had a big effect on the atmosphere on the Clayton End, Think it made part timers want too come back?
Old 24-03-2014, 18:09   #51

then a lung full of smoke bomb ,agree with revived red
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 18:45   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag View Post
then a lung full of smoke bomb ,agree with revived red
Was told on sat that wasn't the ultras? But dickheads setting flares off should be prosecuted simple as.
Old 24-03-2014, 18:49   #53
Senior Member+

It's good to see everyone scratching their heads and trying to come up with ideas.What about inviting local junior football teams to attend on a rota as ball boys then offer their parents,siblings etc. discounted tickets.I am sure parents,grand parents would want to see little Billy being ball boy,and having a rota could encourage a few to attend other games and gives Stanley the chance to recruit new fans of all ages.A few photos of this in the Observer could work wonders....
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 19:12   #54
God Member

I think that if money for making facilities became available priority has to be given to more hospitality boxes possibly Whinney hill side it is a money earner for most other clubs we have,nt got and is popular with people with a bit more money in their pockets and to sell to potential local buisness,s for their employee,s to use.3 to 400 people in boxes paying £40 each plus whatever they spend on the day is like another 1200 on the gate which never get.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 19:31   #55
Senior Member+

Like JT has said it's the club and the safety officers that ruined the ultras . At the end of the day it's not as easy as the ultras to 'come back' , it's not a boy band! Some lads have gone university , some lads don't come on Stanley anymore , some of the younger ones watch other teams now and some lads play football now on a Saturday! We still try to make an atmosphere home and away with flags or no flags but like I have said , the club ruined the group and it's very hard to revive such support now a lot of lads have dwindled.

Also don't agree with some people complaining about the smoke but applauding the ultras. An ultras group is all about showing passion for your club with colour and noise and this would include with flags , vocals and pyro (smoke). If people didn't have a passion or interest for that kind of thing there wouldn't be a group. But yes the smoke is illegal and the people who let it off know the consequences' and are right to receive it if caught!

Agree with Smudgie about the ground! For me this is the only option to revitalise the club from being a cheap non league walk on club to a club moving with the times and building up a bigger town support! Location is key! But it could backfire!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 19:33   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
I think that if money for making facilities became available priority has to be given to more hospitality boxes possibly Whinney hill side it is a money earner for most other clubs we have,nt got and is popular with people with a bit more money in their pockets and to sell to potential local buisness,s for their employee,s to use.3 to 400 people in boxes paying £40 each plus whatever they spend on the day is like another 1200 on the gate which never get.
Good post! Making the Cowshed into offices / executive boxes and restaurant could really push people and money to the club!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 19:55   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I have been trying to find average attendance details since we were promoted. I am sure someone will have them (?Macca). But from figures I have looked at, our average attendance in 2008/9 was 1415 and in 2012/13 it was 1539.

2006/07 2260
2007/08 1633
2008/09 1424
2009/10 1976
2010/11 1859
2011/12 1784
2012/13 1663
2013/14 1564 (so far)

first season syndrome and away clubs ticking us off will account for the large first year, then decline, decline, then promotion and SOS season, then decline for four years on the trot.

Perhaps a fresh approach is needed?

Instead of trying to lure extra bodies in, which despite improved methods of trying, is evidently failing, why not make a concerted effort to KEEP fans?

No matter what the game there are always new bodies on the ground, this is where the effort should lie, how best to try to get them to come back?

Fix the leaking roves (roofs) it's really not that expensive.
Keep the toilets in good clean repair.
Entertain the kids more with clowns, face painting or whatever.

Try to set a budget per game that is to be spent on keeping fans coming back and stick to that budget every game for a season. £1000 per game? In the grand scheme of things its not a lot of money to spend and could a very long way.

No short term fixes, ie "we'll try it once and see what happens, if it doesn't work we'll not do it again"
sparkie likes this.
Old 24-03-2014, 20:14   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post

I think the general gist of that has merit but lets not forget that every £40 has a chunk of expense for meals etc to come out of that.

Does make you wonder though if the concentration should be on getting more money out of a few instead of trying to get hundreds more on the gate. Given the general view of apathy, demographics and the numerous ticket offers where even giving tickets away doesn't generate interest, maybe trying to up the walk on attendance isn't worth the effort and that effort needs to be applied to other forms of income generation to ensure the clubs ability to stay at this level and maybe even higher ?
Old 24-03-2014, 20:25   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
Good post! Making the Cowshed into offices / executive boxes and restaurant could really push people and money to the club!
If they could find an investor to develop it I reckon there's a shortage of decent function facilities in Accrington.
sparkie likes this.
Old 24-03-2014, 20:59   #60
God Member

Very interesting watching the posts unfurl plenty of food for thought for the Club to chew over.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..