Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2014, 00:49   #76
Super Moderator

Re: How to increase attendances?

Clubhouse is under the Control of Will and Emma Gilmartin, as well as the Crown

Seem to remember a darts night being run by OSC?

When is the next OSC meeting? Perhaps a good platform to discuss things face to face?

Last edited by Mr T; 26-03-2014 at 00:53. Reason: addition
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2014, 04:20   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Until the club understands some of its useless stewards and staff are mini hitlers, then they will continue to struggle to attack returning fans / new fans will be put off.
apart from the obvious spelling gaffe, stewards and staff are NOT mini hitlers! They are upholding Ground Regulations. If supporters continue to push the boundaries of said GR's then they will step in, as they have a right to do. Stick within the rules and they have no job to do other than keep an eye out for potential trouble/safety issues. I have seen enough issues that warrant people being ejected from the ground, but on many occasions it does not happen and don't forget, the ground is covered by CCTV and stewards are often directed from the Control Room after some indiscretion has been spotted. Usually it is a warning and as far as I have seen, this tends to lead to ganging up on the poor steward by other fans and this is what leads to the trouble you so often allude too. Play the game and behave and you won't have trouble. I know, been there, seen it and done it at far bigger grounds that the Crown.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 05:17   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
When is the next OSC meeting? Perhaps a good platform to discuss things face to face?
Should have been one last week Mark where members turned up but the Club was locked and barred so No Meeting was held so was adjourned in the Car Park

Next one will be in May once a date has been set and will be the AGM.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 08:52   #79
Senior Member+

A friend of mine that supports Nuneaton was telling me about some of the activities they have going on in their clubhouse.

Every Xmas they have a "Fifa" day/ night held in the clubhouse, with 64+ players entering a virtual FA Cup tournament. £5 to enter, with 50% of profits going to the club and the other going to the eventual winner. After a few hours with 60 odd people drinking and eating im sure it could be an easy money maker???

I would be willing to organise this......
Greeny likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 09:13   #80

I’m a Burnley fan who has a soft spot for Stanley. Simply put, I think it’s not getting new faces through the gates (I think you do this) but the whole match day experience its self and keeping them coming back for more. I have a number of points listed below:

• The Food is rubbish and over priced from the bacteria vans. I don’t even think the cash goes to the club but I think most walk-ons don’t know that, which gives the club a bad name. Could the club not do this themselves? Just needs one person in charge and a load of teenagers wanting a part-time job (which there are loads out there). The Hospitality food as well I believe is ran by Burnley FC. Could the food not be done by The Crown?

• You need more teenagers to come on and I believe the Ultras can play a big part in doing that (again). I grow up in Accrington but went to go and watch Burnley as a teenager. There used to be around 25 of us, all friends and from the Spring Hill area that used to jump on the train to go and watch each home game. Burnley was rubbish back then but it was more about feeling and being part of a group than watching rubbish football. We are all grown up now but most of us still go on to the Turf and are season ticket holders. Most of us have kids of our own who are also season ticket holders too. My nephew is now a teen and does exactly what we did (apart from he’s watching far better football than we ever did), he goes on with a big group of his mates. I think if you can get unofficial supporters groups going on this would attract teenagers (just like the Ultras did). They already hang around in “gangs” the trick is getting these gangs on to the ground. Better than hanging around on the street.

• Back in the day I use to play for the Burnley fans team who played in the morning before every Burnley FC game (home and away) against the team the real clarets were playing that day. All the players, their WAGS, children, relatives and friends came down to watch, went to the pub after and then on to the real game. Livingston Rd ground is right next to Stanley so is the crown pub. I’m sure the club could get a number of teams (Bury had 3 teams back when I played) with supporters playing in them up and running.

• Should stewards be there to assist you and be helpful? There are a number of times I’ve been to watch Stanley and this has not been the case. Although I could say the same about the Burnley stewards at the minute.

• Before, during and after the game where is Winstanley? The younger kids need entertaining. I’m sure you could pay that poor lad walking up and down the entrance of Asda with that board around him to become Winstanley for games and maybe walk around the town centre advertising the next game.

• I 100% believe that if you are to do any promotion offers in the future you need to give a lot more notice as many others have said on hear.

• Why not use the 3rd year students at UCFB. They could come in on placements with new fresh ideas as they are doing a degree in Football Business.
smudgie and DarwenRed like this.
Longsider1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 09:29   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
A friend of mine that supports Nuneaton was telling me about some of the activities they have going on in their clubhouse.

Every Xmas they have a "Fifa" day/ night held in the clubhouse, with 64+ players entering a virtual FA Cup tournament. £5 to enter, with 50% of profits going to the club and the other going to the eventual winner. After a few hours with 60 odd people drinking and eating im sure it could be an easy money maker???

I would be willing to organise this......

Yes smudgie!!!
this is along the lines of what I envisaged to make extra revenue
but now Mr. T informs us that the clubhouse is used everyday through the week, with this in mind it looks like there is little opportunity for money raising from such activities in the clubhouse
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 10:33   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Should have been one last week Mark where members turned up but the Club was locked and barred so No Meeting was held so was adjourned in the Car Park

Next one will be in May once a date has been set and will be the AGM.
Neil, many apologises but did anybody let keyholders at the club know of the date of this meeting. I thought it was 2nd Monday of the month (10th March) Certainly was around late that night getting ready for the Hartlepool game. If it changes you normally send me an e-mail; have I missed something?? If so apologises and I'm sure you'll agree it's the first time this has happened recently??
Old 26-03-2014, 10:36   #83
Super Moderator

UCFB is a great call and we're are already getting great help from Rachael Brown and the team. We've 4 interns assisting in the Academy.

Another avenue to explore.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:12   #84

UCFB is a good shout - along the same lines you've got the University of Manchester less than an hour away (and that's using public transport)

MBS(The business school in UoM) is one of the best out there - might be worth contacting them - perhaps an interesting project for a post-grad ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:41   #85
Senior Member+

.............. im sure if its booked in advance it cant be busy EVERY day around Xmas time?!
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 14:19   #86
Super Moderator

Community don't use it other than NCS courses during the college/school holidays.

The Academy are oblidged to do a number of mandatory training sessions so again the Sportsbar is used (we must provide a venue under EPPP rules)

All ideas will be passed on
Old 26-03-2014, 14:39   #87
Lee

I would like to add my views as a long time fan/previous employee.

On Stewarding: Mark an I have had numerous disagreements in the past on this issue, we almost never agree but I always come out of the discussion knowing a lot more than when it started. They have a really tough job in upholding some pretty extreme ground regulations but I think the true failure is not properly communicating with fans.

There are frankly, too many rude stewards.

The issue is not what they are doing it is how they are doing it. People stood in the walkway will happily move if asked nicely, but from my experience they rarely are. We have some great stewards at ASFC but unfortunately I believe they are outnumbered by the ones that have no issue with either being apathetic to the customers/fans experience or are blatantly aggressive or rude. This is something that has gone on for a long time is in my experience actually getting worse as the steward/fan relationship deteriorates, especially on the Clayton end.

On getting fans in:

Giving free/cheap to kids is a must and should be kept up, I honestly think he crowds would be much more embarrassing if the club had not been doing this over the last 8 or so years. Giving free/cheap to adults is almost pointless, there are too many who do not value Stanley enough to pay. We need to add VALUE to the experience rather than lowering the price. Too many walk away with bad experiences that have nothing to do with the result.

On the OSC:

I have been a long time critic of the OSC and will continue to be if it continues to exist as it does. The fans decided to cancel the meeting because the Founders Lounge was unexpectedly locked up? The Crown is literally a 2 minute walk away! The OSC has for a long time committed more time to criticisng the club than doing any hard graft to help it. I think there are good intentions but they rarely come to anything positive. The numbers at OSC meetings are shockingly low and that is because fans do not value what goes on. I am not blaming anyone individually, but seriously, 5 or 6 people turning up to meetings for the OFFICIAL supporters club, then cancelling rather than seeking refuge in a different nearby location?

To summarise, people bring people. The club can do any sort of promotion (Torquay game for free didn't even fill the ground) but in reality the only thing that is going to increase attendances is if we as fans pressure people we know to come along, pay their money and get hooked. We need to make it part of peoples routine. The supporters club needs to start generating support, the stewards need to learn how to speak to people and we need a cup run.

Adios

Last edited by Lee; 26-03-2014 at 14:44.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 15:55   #88

Agree with the 10 games for £100. It is a great idea but needs to advertised before start of season e.g. on the boards used to advertise forth coming fixtures around Accrington. Another good idea. Last year the flexi ticket idea was not advertised well enough.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:24   #89
Senior Member+

Mr.T

You have demonstrated what is wrong with the club.
Its clear you have a stewarding problem but instead you deny this is the case and thing all is wonderful in the land of hi-vis bibs.
Eric Whalley was right about one thing, I wouldn't pay them with washers either.
smudgie, Willie Miller and dabeast like this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 19:19   #90
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Mr.T

You have demonstrated what is wrong with the club.
Its clear you have a stewarding problem but instead you deny this is the case and thing all is wonderful in the land of hi-vis bibs.
Eric Whalley was right about one thing, I wouldn't pay them with washers either.
Football ground regs apply in every league ground. They are the same at each ground.

Consequently there are stewards at every ground to uphold these rules. THEY are NOT the same at each ground. Nor are their methods of upholding.

Others have said Wycombe stood out as an example of good stewarding.

The answer is not to hide behind the rules.
DAV007 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..