Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2014, 21:02   #61
God Member

Re: How to increase attendances?

The clubhouse is massively underused
Old 24-03-2014, 21:06   #62
Senior Member+

Thanks for those attendance figures Macca. As I suspected, the presence or absence of the Ultras has no bearing on the overall figures.

I think we can discount (for now) the grand schemes of developing corporate facilities. They may be fine in years to come but design + the planning process + construction means they would be a long time coming - even assuming that we could afford them.

I think Macca is correct in saying that we should make a much bigger effort to keep those who do come. I may be wrong - and someone will correct me if I am - but I would have thought that simple development behind the Clayton End and Coppice End would be relatively straightforward. What we urgently need for home and away fans, especially families, is somewhere warm and dry to go before the game, at half time and maybe even after the game. That is where the catering outlets and toilets should be. Let's be honest - what we have now is primitive in the extreme.

Time to introduce some f words : Focus on Families and Facilities.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 22:45   #63
Senior Member+

Please stop having a go at stewards. They have a difficult enough job to do and if they are giving you grief, then I would look to what you are doing wrong for them to give you grief. They are only upholding ground regulations. These affect all clubs and is a difficult enough job to do without you pushing the limits etc. Also, if you bring young kids, keep them under control! Don't let them run up and down the fronts of the stands.

Another point made by others, clean up the facilities. The toilet blocks are pretty disgusting on match days, hardly and advert for a family friendly football club!

Food outlets are another issue, the prices in them (and I believe they are private) has gone through the roof and is now extortionate. This does not encourage the match day experience of a pie and a pint when it costs an arm and a leg to purchase. One of my personal favourite match day experiences was Kidderminsters food outlets, int he words of Jim Bowen, Super, smashing, great and very tasty too

Also the idea of free tickets in local firms is a good idea to promote the club. I know Blackburn Hawks tried a similar thing with my workplace (and I work in Preston), but it worked and I have gone to other matches since. I mean, Studio Cards off Henry Street and Junction 7 Business Park. I am sure we could pick up some supporters from these 2 sites. Encouraging local supporters of other football clubs is also an idea. I know it is one we have done on Friday night matches, but what about midweek and Saturdays when the other teams may have long away matches. It is not going to work for all games but the club can only try and get other teams supporters to adopt the club as their 2nd team

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 09:26   #64
God Member

Some good ideas on here. I suspect it will be the small improvements and innovations that are most viable.

On the question of attendances, it may be interesting to put things into perspective. As Lancsdave has stated often, it's down to demographics.

As a % of the Borough population, Stanley's average attendance is just under 2%.

This the same as Northampton's, a much bigger city and wealthier part of the country.

Dagenham's, who I regard as Stanley's southern twin, ratio is just under 1%.

Clubs like Torquay, Cheltenham, Wycombe, and Plymouth have a ratio of between 2.5 and 3%.

Only Pompey stand out in League 2, with attendances that are over 6% of its population.

Add to that a few facts, such as none of those clubs having 'rivals' within 5 miles and Hyndburn's population is static if not declining.

Obviously, good form will add to the crowd, but probably not by many.

My view is that supporting Stanley is an exclusive activity, and one for those who appreciate loyalty over reflected glory, tribe over franchise, and football over soccertainment. Anyone can sit at home and 'support' one bunch of Premier League foreigners or another.
But, after 40+ years out of the League, if only 'The Few' have the privilege of supporting Stanley, then so be it. Let's enjoy it for as long as it, or we, last.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 10:03   #65
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
The clubhouse is massively underused
Macca and all; clubhouse is used everyweek day and most nights as well
We are having to move/cancel usage to accomodate reviews, business league meetings etc.
Available for hire at weekends.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 10:35   #66
Junior Member+

Interesting reading with some good ideas to attract new punters and to look after existing.

Looking after existing fans is the one that the club can do more of, with clubhouse being a case in point. Having, quite rightly, sought to increase the hospitality numbers coming on for games this has created an issue with the fans who use the bar area either before the game or half time. Once upon a time the club would let you know in advance whether the bar would be open or not at these times. Those who wanted a pint beforehand (as the Crown can get way too busy) could then make alternative arrangements if they wished. This notice seems to have stopped.
Take the re-arranged Morecambe game for example - a group of us who have been season ticket holders for donkeys years (and like a pint or two) thought that given the fact this was our derby game and some ex-players had been invited, the clubhouse would be shut beforehand and half time. We had a pint elsewhere, only to find the bar open when we arrived. At half time we asked if it had been busy before the game and no was the reply. I'd much rather put funds behind the clubs bar then elsewhere and whilst I'm not saying it will generate loads of money, its clearly a £ or two being missed, which all adds up.
The same can be said when the clubhouse is shut for hospitality, in that there are no other arrangements made for "fans" in the main stand to have a pint and spend more £'s.
Clearly the hospitality should be pushed but it seems to be at the expense of the regular fans and goes back to point about the overall experience.
Its not rocket science to fix it but just needs a bit of "thinking ahead".
Mundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 15:13   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
We are having to move/cancel usage to accomodate reviews, business league meetings etc.
Mr. T you say the clubhouse is used every weekday & most nights, I think most of us will be surprised by your statement of the amount of use of the clubhouse.
From macca's post above yours #64 and the like hits, for that post, it looks like many of us were under the apprehension that the clubhouse was not used very much and so under the circumstances could you let us know what goes on in the clubhouse mid-week and if those functions held are profitable
cashman and smobile like this.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 15:25   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Must say it surprised me big time.
Old 25-03-2014, 15:27   #69
lew

Working with the tools and information that you have at your disposal is crucial. Whenever anyone interacts with you then ask why? Be brave enough to keep it and the next time an occasion or opportunity arises then use this "list" to communicate...

Soccer Schools
Ticketing
Merchandise
Sports Bar Hire
Hospitality

These are all ways a supporter wants to interact with the club, if you can harness why and discover the propensity to renew/purchase again then the problem is half cracked. Its literally as simple as a shared excel sheet.

Asking for feedback and listening is the cornerstone of any business, using this to formulate the plan to improve is massive, every aspect of the supporter journey, from travelling to the game, parking, purchasing tickets, facilities and customer services sticks in the mind as an experience.

Act on it and use the data which has been collected to market to these groups...engage and communicate.. costs nothing but time and effort.

Once the building blocks are in place and used effectively then you can begin to introduce the club to the wider supporting audience..

Build it, make it good and they will come..
smudgie, cashman, mab and 1 others like this.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 17:05   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
I suspect that Business League Meetings are more about raising the profile of the club (by being held there) than making any money.

Conferences, board meetings etc I suspect may raise a hire fee of sorts but unless you are adding in catering fee's they won't bring in a substantial revenue primarily because the room is far too large for most functions and there is only one of it.

When I say it is massively underused I am getting at the fact that, as probably the largest turnover company providing function facilities in the borough, it should be the brightest, best, and first thought of venue to hold a function for 200 people. Brooks Club, Enfield or Accy Cricket club, Pop club and any number of other venues are booked fairly solid all year round - and on the nights they aren't they put their own show on.

As far as I know we don't have anyone who has their finger firmly on the pulse to run the club (house) as a club. A venue of that size should quite comfortably be looking to turnover £10k every single weekend PLUS matchday revenue. I don't believe the building needs major change to facilitate that (although the bar could be bigger) but it does need a designated staffie to do it, not a barman or barmaid, but a proper Manager who is paid a wage and profit share.

"hello is that ......, its Accrington Stanley here, you held your 18th with us almost three years ago and I was wondering if you would like to book us for your 21st?"

Accrington has few places that look for high ticket functions, we could fill that gap. Unfortunately the civic theatre has just become a Jason Manford venue so that ship has sailed, but maybe it could also provoke a rekindling of the love of a good comedy night? Sunday night comedy show at the 1968 bar? (no jokes about Saturday afternoon comedy shows please)

There is no designated darts venue in the vicinity, yet it could quite easily become a darts tournament venue with clever thinking. A pop-up stage, an overhead projector capable of broadcasting close-ups to multiple screens around the room. Dartists are considerably cheaper to hire than a comedian yet are still capable of packing the room out with 160 seated pishpots.

It's all been said before and will all be said again until someone at the club realises that investment has to be found and injected into infrastructure rather than players. Alas, it will always go on players in the hope that we can keep our league status.
baldy, fc:stanley and Pendle Red like this.
Old 25-03-2014, 22:54   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins View Post
Only the club and a few over zealous safety officers to thank for that
Until the club understands some of its useless stewards and staff are mini hitlers, then they will continue to struggle to attack returning fans / new fans will be put off.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 23:19   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
then they will continue to struggle to attack returning fans / new fans.
Gordon Bennett! No wonder crowds are dropping!
DAV007 likes this.
Old 25-03-2014, 23:45   #73
Senior Member+

attract!
Wynonie Harris likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 23:55   #74
Super Moderator

Arrgh.

Just sent an hour typing some reply's and lost internet connection!!

Coffee and try again
Old 26-03-2014, 00:45   #75
Super Moderator

2nd attempt; hold internet please!

Clubhouse is used mainly by the Trust during the week as their education base. Used for "good causes" on Wednesday's. Business League needs to be developed to ensure ASFC gain better benefits.
Hospitality needs to be developed on the "average" game, but then the main stand regular is asked to no use. I'm a fan of it being split, but take on board the need to publise it earlier. Will speak to Faye and Dan.

Sorry we need to agree to differ on stewarding and ground regs. Come and see what Cliff and I do on match days. We doin't make the rules up!! Agree things could have been dealt with better in the past but that was 3 seasons ago. Flags have to be made of flame proof material. Flares and fireworks are illegal. Some stage soon a club will be fined by the FA for "permitting" their use in a ground. Lost count of "warnings" we've had this year. If you have concerns abouts a stewards behaviour please talk to a supervisor and make a note of their "bib number". We recently had a complaint about Steward 46 from an away fan. Happy to report we only have bibs numbered up to 42. By entering a stadium you agree to abide by ground regs and the match day safety officers word is final. If you want the responsibilty for everybodies safety in the ground I'm happy to let somebody be inspected in the role to see if they are any good!

School schools and junior football teams are all sorted by the Trust

Shop plus merchandising are now with LancsDave

Toilets are as good as they will get in my view unless we spend a fortune on new build. A new floor was fitted in the gents this summer; thanks
OSC

Will post this before connection goes!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..