Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 21:48   #181
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: All The Best To You Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I've spoken at length about the bus station over many years. I called for the new station to be on the current side of town.

Just because I agree to do an event, post a tweet or the papers give a story prominence doesn't automatically make it my priority.
What was the outcome of the meeting? WHo was getting the blame for the fighting?

Seeing as you brought it up I would be interested to know who you think is to blame?
Old 01-08-2014, 21:51   #182
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I've spoken at length about the bus station over many years. I called for the new station to be on the current side of town.

Just because I agree to do an event, post a tweet or the papers give a story prominence doesn't automatically make it my priority.
I accept it may not be a priority the Gaza stuff, But WHY? has there never been a public meeting about the new bus station? which to me should be a priority.
Old 01-08-2014, 21:59   #183
Beacon of light

There is a very simple reason Cashy......the powers that be have already decided and they do not want to get into such things as public meetings...after all it would allow the public to think that their views and opinions really mattered.(that would never do)
All that really matters in situations like this is money...not whether the service user are going to be served or happy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 22:57   #184
Senior Member+

All The Best To You Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I accept it may not be a priority the Gaza stuff, But WHY? has there never been a public meeting about the new bus station? which to me should be a priority.
I exhausted every argument at the time Cashy. There were several public meetings. I went to most of them.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 22:58   #185
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There is a very simple reason Cashy......the powers that be have already decided and they do not want to get into such things as public meetings...after all it would allow the public to think that their views and opinions really mattered.(that would never do)
All that really matters in situations like this is money...not whether the service user are going to be served or happy.
Totally inaccurate. Sorry Margaret, just saying it how it was.
Old 01-08-2014, 23:06   #186
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What was the outcome of the meeting? WHo was getting the blame for the fighting?

Seeing as you brought it up I would be interested to know who you think is to blame?
People who kill other people are to blame in short. There's a distinct lack of humanity.

It has been within Israel's gift to accelerate the peace process.

I've have met Regev, Allon and Abass privately and toured the West Bank with the UN.

Compromise is far more difficult when influential people on both sides hold fundamentalist views.
Old 01-08-2014, 23:58   #187
Senior Member+

Quote:
People who kill other people are to blame in short. There's a distinct lack of humanity.

It has been within Israel's gift to accelerate the peace process.

I've have met Regev, Allon and Abass privately and toured the West Bank with the UN.

Compromise is far more difficult when influential people on both sides hold fundamentalist views.
Perhaps this should have been pointed out to Tony Blair prior to GWII, but with regard to Gaza -if Hamas stopped firing rockets, albeit inaccurate and therefore more likely to result in civilian casualties, then there is every likelihood that Israel will cease the retaliation.
Britain is unlikely ever to be trusted politically by the Arab Nations as they still hold the "Balfour Declaration" of 1917 against the British as they see that as the birth of Israel and the support thereafter from the Western Nations.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:34   #188
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Perhaps this should have been pointed out to Tony Blair prior to GWII, but with regard to Gaza -if Hamas stopped firing rockets, albeit inaccurate and therefore more likely to result in civilian casualties, then there is every likelihood that Israel will cease the retaliation.
Britain is unlikely ever to be trusted politically by the Arab Nations as they still hold the "Balfour Declaration" of 1917 against the British as they see that as the birth of Israel and the support thereafter from the Western Nations.
Sorry Barrie, but the causualty figures,make a mockery of yer more likely to result in civilian casualties comment,whilst i am no fan at all of Hamas, I often used to wonder as a lad,why 2 old WW2 soldiers i knew, used to say Hitler should have finished em off, I understand that comment now.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00   #189
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Sorry Barrie, but the causualty figures,make a mockery of yer more likely to result in civilian casualties comment,whilst i am no fan at all of Hamas, I often used to wonder as a lad,why 2 old WW2 soldiers i knew, used to say Hitler should have finished em off, I understand that comment now.
I agree Cashy, I don't have much sympathy for the Israelis - one only needs to read about the atrocities committed by the "Stern Gang" et al, on British troops. However, I do understand the retaliation by Israel, no different really than kicking back harder when someone kicks you.
I haven't heard what the UN Peace Envoy is doing about all this, perhaps he is making more noise (and money), on his lecture circuit.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:19   #190
Senior Member+

The UN is the world biggest talking shop, makes the EU look respectable!
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50   #191
God Member

im just wondering what the UN thinks a juniour MP whos party is not in power can actually do for them.Its all well the UN dragging our MP around to take a look at gaza but what exactly is it the UN thinks a MP from an out of power party can do about it.

arnt the grown ups in government from the party actually in power not already looking into this ?

should we adopt a similar policey and invite polititions from around teh world to hyndburn to take a look at our problems ?
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 23:05   #192
Senior Member+

Swamp of cynicism...
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08   #193
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Swamp of cynicism...
Would you care to expand on that statement?

What is a swamp of cynicism?

Is it :-

A/ The UN.
B/ The EU.

Or no doubt having read your previous posts,

C/ AccyWeb.

You really should learn to make yourself clear when wishing to part with your pearls of wisdom.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15   #194
God Member

if this is a swamp i know who gets my vote as donkey

its about the only bloody vote he will ever get of mine again

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:30   #195
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Perhaps this should have been pointed out to Tony Blair prior to GWII, but with regard to Gaza -if Hamas stopped firing rockets, albeit inaccurate and therefore more likely to result in civilian casualties.....
Have you seen the rockets they use? They are nothing more than big fireworks with explosives in them. No way they can accurately target anything and they indiscriminately fire them into Israel with little hope of hitting what they aim for

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamas-rockets.jpg (94.9 KB, 66 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..