Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 00:10   #2611

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: The Tories

And there you have it guys, it's official..

BBC News - Theresa May: Tories to consider leaving European Convention on Human Rights

Vote Tory next time and they will 'consider' opting out of the Human Rights fiasco. Add to the fact that they will also 'consider' having a yes/no vote on membership of the EU providing they can agree how the yes/no question is worded..what free thinking enlightened member of Joe Public could possibly fail to vote for them next time....

*sigh* how little this government values the intelligence of the electorate...
cashman, cmonstanley, Eric and 2 others like this.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:41   #2612
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
And there you have it guys, it's official..

BBC News - Theresa May: Tories to consider leaving European Convention on Human Rights

Vote Tory next time and they will 'consider' opting out of the Human Rights fiasco. Add to the fact that they will also 'consider' having a yes/no vote on membership of the EU providing they can agree how the yes/no question is worded..what free thinking enlightened member of Joe Public could possibly fail to vote for them next time....

Totally agree Guinness, well there is one vote here they won't be getting (if I'm still around to cast it)either Cameron makes concrete promises about Europe, or jaysay is voting UKIP
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:50   #2613
Super Moderator

I wouldn't vote for him even if he did make a "concrete promise". Last time he promised a referendum it was "cast iron" and look what happened to that!
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06   #2614
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I wouldn't vote for him even if he did make a "concrete promise". Last time he promised a referendum it was "cast iron" and look what happened to that!
It's a well known fact "cast iron" is really brittle & shatters without any effort whatsoever.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 16:52   #2615
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

But as Churchill said: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

I know he was a tory, but he had the best idea of how to go into Europe. He called it D-Day
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 17:09   #2616
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
But as Churchill said: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

I know he was a tory, but he had the best idea of how to go into Europe. He called it D-Day
Ted Teeth did it with a pen, but it wasn't anything like Europe as we know it today, we had a referendum in the 70s asking if we wanted to stay in the common market, as it was called then, I'm sure if people had have known what Europe would become back then there wouldn't have been a cat in hells chance of a yes vote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:16   #2617
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ted Teeth did it with a pen, but it wasn't anything like Europe as we know it today, we had a referendum in the 70s asking if we wanted to stay in the common market, as it was called then, I'm sure if people had have known what Europe would become back then there wouldn't have been a cat in hells chance of a yes vote
Common Market wasn't a bad idea ... like NAFTA, it was economically inevitable. But this giving up of sovreignty? I don't go along with that. We are America's largest trading partner, their major supplier of oil and uranium. But, we are still Canada. We pursue an independent foreign policy: We recognize Cuba, and we didn't participate in Iraq. Someone ... I don't know who ... once said that Canadians are unarmed Americans with universal health care But it's more than that. Giving up national identity is the one thing any country should avoid. What surprises me is that the tories are not more eurosceptic than they are. If I were Cameron, I would risk holding a binding, simply worded referendum in the very near future. Such a ballsey move might get him a majority in the next general election. What the hell, he's got nothing to lose ... and everything to gain.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00   #2618
Senior Member+

Quote:
I was stationed in the Outer Hebrides when that referendum was held - the Western Isles voted NO - probably because of the quite large number of Army and R.A.F. personnel stationed there who had experienced life in Germany and who just didn't have much faith in the vision of a united democratic Europe - Germany & France had never been big on democratic rule.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14   #2619
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Common Market wasn't a bad idea ... like NAFTA, it was economically inevitable. But this giving up of sovreignty? I don't go along with that. We are America's largest trading partner, their major supplier of oil and uranium. But, we are still Canada. We pursue an independent foreign policy: We recognize Cuba, and we didn't participate in Iraq. Someone ... I don't know who ... once said that Canadians are unarmed Americans with universal health care But it's more than that. Giving up national identity is the one thing any country should avoid. What surprises me is that the tories are not more eurosceptic than they are. If I were Cameron, I would risk holding a binding, simply worded referendum in the very near future. Such a ballsey move might get him a majority in the next general election. What the hell, he's got nothing to lose ... and everything to gain.
Think you've hit the nail on the head there Eric, the Brownie points he'd gain are endless, the only person who wouldn't be happy is Mr. Ed
Old 14-03-2013, 20:36   #2620
God Member

so the tories want to raise revenue,so what do they do yes they axe the tax man.BBC News - Tax: HMRC to close all of its 281 Enquiry Centres
Old 14-03-2013, 20:39   #2621
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats what i call really taking the pish. as anyone who has ever tried ringing em will no doubt verify.
Old 15-03-2013, 08:41   #2622
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats what i call really taking the pish. as anyone who has ever tried ringing em will no doubt verify.
Seems like sense to me getting shut of something that isn't fit for purpose, and this certainly wasn't fit for purpose
Old 15-03-2013, 09:38   #2623
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Seems like sense to me getting shut of something that isn't fit for purpose, and this certainly wasn't fit for purpose
Will you still be agreeing with everything they do when they start loading cattle trucks with the sick and the unemployed to re-locate them?

Perhaps that's what they need all the two bed-roomed houses for? They would be able to fit about 15 families into each room when the time comes!!!!!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 09:48   #2624
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Will you still be agreeing with everything they do when they start loading cattle trucks with the sick and the unemployed to re-locate them?

Perhaps that's what they need all the two bed-roomed houses for? They would be able to fit about 15 families into each room when the time comes!!!!!
Have you ever tried ring HM Customs and Revenue, its a flaming nightmare as my other half found out, if it ain't working why keep it, only common sense really
Old 15-03-2013, 12:03   #2625
Senior Member+

It's nice to know they're looking to find all 1300 staff alternate jobs. So- inconvenience the public, no problem. Get rid of 1300 staff- no way.
How nice to know they have 1300 vacancies.
The savings from closing offices/branches has always been mainly from staff savings. Not if you're in the civil service, the savings are from saying 'to hell' with the customers who pay your wages.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..