Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2008, 12:18   #106

Re: Coleman's time is surely up

2 4 6 8 Dunbavins great

I feel sorry for those few who made the journey. Id of set off home at half time and missed a great comeback of conceding another 4. Disgraceful. Coleman must be mr untouchable to survive an hiding like that on the back of very poor form. No doubt he will pull off a few more scalps AWAY that will keep the ice from breaking.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2008, 12:36   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrikaaner View Post
it's time for change,colman has done a good job but we can't survive on memories,it took 44 years to get back into the league and if results continue as they are we'll sink faster than the titanic.managers have been sacked this season after poor results but a lot less worse than ours,e.g chris casper at bury.there are several good managers looking for new clubs at the moment e.g ronnie jepson,until we bring in new blood we won't get anywhere,i'm accy till die but at this rate it might be quicker than i think lol.come on mr whalley it,s time to do your duty.
I agree with you 100%
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 18:48   #108
God Member

this was in the Observer last year relating to pre 62 etc, much of it is very pertinent today

In terms of possessing a manager who could find good players for modest fees and motivate them to play above themselves, Accrington Stanley would never replace Galbraith. Somewhat predictably, Stanley found nationwide football tougher than the regional variety. To make things worse, the club was forced to sell its top performers to reduce the wage bill. Looking back at the issue of the stand, it is harsh but probably true to say that the directors let their own ambitions obscure the reality of the club's circumstances. Even then, Accrington was one of the smallest towns to support a Football League club.

Another factor that seems not to have been taken into account was that Stanley's success under Galbraith was not typical of the club's Football League history. Under Galbraith, Stanley quickly established themselves as a high-ranking Third Division (North) outfit, but until this point the club had had a remarkably ordinary existence. So spectacular had been the rise of Stanley under Galbraith that it was tempting to forget from what depths the manager had dragged the club, and how easily it could sink back to those levels.
Old 17-01-2008, 18:53   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
this was in the Observer last year relating to pre 62 etc, much of it is very pertinent today

In terms of possessing a manager who could find good players for modest fees and motivate them to play above themselves, Accrington Stanley would never replace Galbraith. Somewhat predictably, Stanley found nationwide football tougher than the regional variety. To make things worse, the club was forced to sell its top performers to reduce the wage bill. Looking back at the issue of the stand, it is harsh but probably true to say that the directors let their own ambitions obscure the reality of the club's circumstances. Even then, Accrington was one of the smallest towns to support a Football League club.

Another factor that seems not to have been taken into account was that Stanley's success under Galbraith was not typical of the club's Football League history. Under Galbraith, Stanley quickly established themselves as a high-ranking Third Division (North) outfit, but until this point the club had had a remarkably ordinary existence. So spectacular had been the rise of Stanley under Galbraith that it was tempting to forget from what depths the manager had dragged the club, and how easily it could sink back to those levels.
So true, it hurts.

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:35   #110

I was sort of on the fence on this one but after watching the goals from Tue night, something is sadly amiss, and i have to agree its time for him to go, we looked like a pub team and thats not acceptable at this level, chickens with heads cut off springs to mind.
I agree he`s done wonders in the past but i`m affraid he`s in above his depth at league 2, after a season and a half of week after week of s%&t defending obviously something isn`t working, so lets get someone in to sort it out, who ?, i dont know but anyone with at least some idea of how to manage a league 2 side will do.
Old 17-01-2008, 20:42   #111

If it is that easy to sort the defence out. why have so many managers with more experience and better qualifications failed to sort newcastles defence
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 20:44   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

The link to the above article is here in full: Club hurtles to disaster – Cash-strapped Stanley forced to sell top players - News - Accrington Observer

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 20:44   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude-dog View Post
If it is that easy to sort the defence out. why have so many managers with more experience and better qualifications failed to sort newcastles defence
There are 4 teams with a leakier defence than Newcastle in the Prem. Not sure I understand the point of that ?

Last edited by lancsdave; 17-01-2008 at 20:46. Reason: I can't count :-)
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 20:52   #114

the point being that newcastle have changed managers alot over the years. bringing in some top managers with big reputations and years of experience and not one of them has solved the problem with there defence. seen as this is most peoples major reason for getting rid of coley i am stating that a new manager wudnt guarantee a better defence. better defenders are needed not a better manager. so i will keep believing. thats my point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 20:55   #115
God Member

Mmmm manager sign players dont they ????????? Still dont know what Newcastle has to do with us like

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 21:21   #116

time 2 go. we will be here 4 ever casper in
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 21:36   #117
Full Member+

Whilst I'd agree that the defending is dire and needs addressing fast, I just thought I may make a couple of points.

1) In all bar one seasons since Coleman and Bell took over the club has improved it's position upon the preceding season. (the exception being the second of the three conference seasons when we finished 10th,matching the previous season's achievement.

2) O.K. we all agree Tuesday night was probably the lowest point in recent memory but bear in mind we've had hidings in the past M.K. (0-5 Away), Stevenage (0-5 Away, Conference) Telford (1-5 Home,Conference) but we have bounced back from these results.

The two hammerings we've had this season have come against sides who will probably end up in the Automatic promotion slots.They have come against clubs that have vast spending budgets and a much larger fanbase. Admittedly we've just spent £85,000 on re-signing Craney but this is SMALL CHANGE to the aforementioned two sides.

3) If the club (and namely Mr. Whalley) decide to part company with Coleman and Bell, It's just MY opinion,some may share it, but I think we'd struggle to find a decent replacement who could come in and work with the limited resources that we currently have. Fair play, it would be nice to think that some of the names (mentioned as possible replacements) would be tempted by the chance of managing our side, but in all honesty, with the finances currently on offer, I couldn't see it happening. As I've said earlier in this thread, it's just my opinion, but I think we'd end up getting in an in-experienced manager on a low budget.That would represent a massive gamble and it's one I wouldn't like the club to take.

Expectation has, in my opinion risen too far.We've come a long way in a short time. Granted, the defensive situation has not improved in a long time, but at least efforts have been made to strengthen that department in signing players like Roberts,Webb and recently King. It's not like Coleman's got a massive transfer war-chest to go dipping into like some of our rivals. The club has to work on a relative "shoestring budget".

We're only just over half way into our second season as a league team and as such Coleman's second season as a league manager. We're still on a learing curve. I'd hope Coleman is given more time to address the problems before we start making the decision to replace him. If Coleman sorts out the defensive problems then that will justify the decision to stick with him. If that doesn't happen then admittedly the club would have to replace him. But, if the day does come when a decision has to be made to replace Coleman, I only hope that SERIOUS consideration is made when it comes to naming his successor.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 07:50   #118
Full Member+

Well said Carpon, I totally agree. Let's stop moaning and get behind Coley and the lads instead of calling for his head at the first real sign of adversity. Yes, he's made mistakes, but the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his all for Stanley. Come on John, Keep the Faith!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 08:19   #119
God Member

Coleman Wants Fans To Keep The Faith (from Lancashire Telegraph)

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 08:26   #120

Have any of the people slagging off Coley actually talked to the man? Hes often in the club house after games and always has time for the fans, something other managers dont. Taklking to him, it becomes clear that he really does care about this club and recent results hurt him as much, if not more, then other people.

Romans crucifying Jesus comes to mind.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..