Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 19:08   #301
Senior Member+

Re: Spire farm development

I agree give him time and a bit of leeway now
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2012, 20:17   #302
Senior Member+

Having said that don't hold your breath.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:56   #303
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
"this is most popular/active local forum ive come across"

Dont spoil it then.....
Its you that made a pathetic attempt to do that.
Old 12-02-2012, 22:22   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
This thread reminds me of the first time I saw The Matrix at the cinema - I watched it from the beginning but left not knowing what the hell is was all about!
Frome 13 mths ago.....I AGREE......
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 22:24   #305

Quote:
I could be missing the point, but I fail to see why some of you are showing so much animosity towards RHFOY. From what I can see he seemed to be acting in good faith when he started the thread. Think it's time for an armistice.
from 13 mths ago...I AGREE
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 22:03   #306
Junior Member+

Re: Spire farm

I used to live there around 1954. I remember the tower well. It was in a hell of a state. I have seen recent pics and thought the left hand gabled building was a recent addition. This pic brings it all back. I can remember standing in the "window" helping to stack the hay in the barn as it was brought in from the meadows on the hay cart. I was about 6 or 7. What health and safety???? Thanks for pic, it brings back part of my childhood which was rather hazy.
rupertbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 22:23   #307
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegrove View Post
hi all spire farm i am sure i used to go to that farm and play with the farmers son is name was arthur it would be 1963 64 time anybody know of him but i remember that tower so i think it was there
Hi Rosegrove. I was only 6 or 7 at the time so I'm not certain about the accuracy here but I think the Jacksons farmed at Spire Farm ( High Riley) until around 1953/4. My uncle bought it then. ( The less said about that the better!)
I lived there for a short while and used to play with the Jackson lads, Harry and Thomas. When I knew them they lived at High Riley Cottages. We used to walk down to St Paul's school together. I was scarred for life by the memories of terrible school dinners!!!

There were 2 lots of woods as I recall. One behind the cottages and one alongside the track leading up from Plantation Street.I'm ashamed to say that my uncle was responsible for selling off the trees for felling. I was very young at the time but I seem to have some recollection that the barn "caught fire" as well. I had moved to Blackpool by that time so I could be wrong.
Old 29-10-2012, 22:41   #308
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
RHFOY - you sound very stressed - is the Spire farm development a bit more than you can chew right now? - best take a break if you can, to regain your composure.
It was a wonderfully quiet place in the mid 1950's. What's gone wrong??
Old 29-10-2012, 22:48   #309
Junior Member+

Quote:
Just when you thought it was safe to log on to Accy Web again the "Spire Farm Development" thread rears its head once more!!! The best soap opera since Eldorado!!
Yeah! As I said somewhere else in this argument, it used to be such a peaceful spot in the mid 1950's. Wonder if Thomas Jackson is reading any of this stuff??
Old 30-10-2012, 20:53   #310
Junior Member+

Rupertbear, thank you for your clarification of the woods. When we were children we used to walk from Barnfield Street up Sandy Lane, and turn right alongside High Riley Cottages. That way led to a wood behind the cottages that in the spring was filled with bluebells. It was lovely, and yes, very quiet. This was in the mid to late nineteen forties and early fifties. There was no concern about children wandering around there without adults.
Our family used to walk round by Spire Farm on Sunday afternoons. There was a pigsty on the property and my brother and I used to hang over the stone wall to look at the pigs.
Retlaw, another walk was to turn left from Sandy Lane on to Leemings Pad. Part way along, on the right, I remember farm buildings. Would this be the New House Farm in your post 8? Do you know how old it was? We continued on to Plantation Road. These were lovely walks at any time of year.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 21:17   #311
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Excuse me Retlaw! As I said, we used to go up by the college, eventually take the pathway to the right and call at what WE called Bluebell Woods!!!!!!!! We used to spend hours in that area when kids!!!!!
There was/is a path (don't know it it's still there) that ran up from the sports grounds behind the college, up a clough which led up to Blue Bell woods.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 21:25   #312
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Youv'e got false memory syndrome, go up Sandy Lane, past Broad Oak Fold, first left was Lemmings Pad, carry on up Sandy Lane, the next buildings were New House Farm, the path facing it was Hambledon Lane, which went past Tag Clough to Lower Whithams. Carrying on up Sandy Lane past New House and the next farm was Leafield Barn, then High Riley Cottages, and on your left was Spire farm.
Remember when I was in the Fire Brigade farms, access and water suplies was my speciality.
The only wood that was destroyed was when the
Easterly bypass was built, as it went past Slate Pits.

Retlaw.
The official Blue Bell Woods was Go up to New House Farm take the lane that forks off to the right, which goes down a slight decline, when it reaches a bridge over a stream the area of woods running up from there is the official one as it was coated in those flowers in the spring - though I suppose any kid, finding blue bells in a wood, would call it that name, so most woods would be called that.

We used to help Strak when he farmed Spires back in the 70's!

Last edited by kestrelx; 30-10-2012 at 21:33.
Old 30-10-2012, 21:40   #313
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
There was/is a path (don't know it it's still there) that ran up from the sports grounds behind the college, up a clough which led up to Blue Bell woods.
Still there
Old 30-10-2012, 21:52   #314
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Still there
Are there still as many blue bells though? As it was on Countryfile some time ago that they were on the decline!
Old 30-10-2012, 22:14   #315
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Are there still as many blue bells though? As it was on Countryfile some time ago that they were on the decline!
No Dick Guy's cattle trample them down

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..