Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2021, 08:43   #1816
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Corona Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
to sit on a dreary cold beach with penguins in the Falklands.

Think you'll find there's quite a few Argies that'd love the opportunity!
Old 10-05-2021, 08:59   #1817
God Member

just cannot get my head round this travelling abroad as a necesity for a holiday especially the ones that have kids. even a ten minute wait at an airport never mind a ten hour one would have been more than mine could have taken. then you get there and most kids do not like the heat which their parents go for. both my two and step kids hated the water and lying on a beach or next to a pool would last seconds rather than minutes. cannot blame em as both their parents were exactly the same. there must be thousands of others in the same boat but need to go abroad for likes on social media.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:10   #1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
just cannot get my head round this travelling abroad as a necesity for a holiday especially the ones that have kids. even a ten minute wait at an airport never mind a ten hour one would have been more than mine could have taken. then you get there and most kids do not like the heat which their parents go for. both my two and step kids hated the water and lying on a beach or next to a pool would last seconds rather than minutes. cannot blame em as both their parents were exactly the same. there must be thousands of others in the same boat but need to go abroad for likes on social media.
Iceland is on the list - though you will need a mortgage to be able to afford the £2.50 for a yoghourt or £10 for a pint.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 16:51   #1819
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Iceland is on the list - though you will need a mortgage to be able to afford the £2.50 for a yoghourt or £10 for a pint.

That's a bit steep isn't it? I thought "Iceland" was cheap as chips, when did they put their prices up? What happened to their 4 for a 10er BBQ specials & their 3 for a 5er picnic essentials .....?

Isn't that why Mums go to Iceland?
Old 11-05-2021, 09:44   #1820
God Member

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;

Isn't that why Mums go to Iceland?[/QUOTE]

and single mums go to farmfoods.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:14   #1821
Beacon of light

Quote:
Backtrack ? We're only "allowed" to go to 12 countries.. and three of 'em don't want us to go there and of the other 9 - going to tiny Gibraltar would be like being cooped up in Patrick McGoohan's village.. don't think many would fancy an 18 hour flight to sit on a dreary cold beach with penguins in the Falklands.. or to the other tiny dependencies. Which leaves Iceland, Israel or Portugal. Iceland is about a tenner a pint, Israel is kicking off with unrest and the flights to Portugal have increased tenfold since the announcements - 'ow can thy backtrack on that?
I think this is a calculated government ploy.....so that no one goes anywhere.
Portugal-too dear to get there.

Falklands - who wants a long flight, a holiday where you need your flannel undies and the penguins are not covered in chocolate and resist being dunked in a brew.

Australia....yes, you can go there but they won’t let you in.
New Zealand....the same.

Israel....where it is all kicking off...and not in a football sense.
Gibraltar.....share your glasses and your handbag with a Barbary ape....and never get them back.
Singapore...yes, well that might be nice for a short visit.
Brunei - yes you can go there.....and they might let you in if you meet their stringent criteria.
Faroe Islands......well....I can’t think of a quieter or more relaxing holiday.
Iceland....no thanks....too dear, landscape like Third World War bus shelter.
Some overseas British territory Islands....but not sure where they are.

So...yes the government have opened up some travel...it is not their fault that we do not want to go to the places that they stipulate.....that as they say is....our problem.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:20   #1822
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

myself i think thats a load of rubbish its common sense.
Old 11-05-2021, 15:09   #1823
Beacon of light

What is it that you think is Rubbish Cashy?

That the government chose places that no one really wants to visit instead of saying...NO Overseas Travel...?
Well, it covers their very well padded behinds doesn't it?

For myself...there is nowhere on this green earth that I would travel in a plane to, right now...for goodness sake I haven't been on a bus since March 2020...and they do not recycle breathed air on buses and you CAN open the windows
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 11-05-2021, 15:30   #1824
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
and single mums go to farmfoods.

Is that code for nicking stuff from fields & farmer Giles trust box?
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 11-05-2021, 16:01   #1825
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
What is it that you think is Rubbish Cashy?

That the government chose places that no one really wants to visit instead of saying...NO Overseas Travel...?
Well, it covers their very well padded behinds doesn't it?

For myself...there is nowhere on this green earth that I would travel in a plane to, right now...for goodness sake I haven't been on a bus since March 2020...and they do not recycle breathed air on buses and you CAN open the windows
i have never really liked tory way at all, but i think its complete rubbish to say places no-one wants to visit in fact i never heard such rubbish in my life. i think its common sense not to visit anywhere that is a lot risky.
Old 11-05-2021, 20:14   #1826
Beacon of light

Well, then maybe I shall rephrase it.....the people wished to go to Spain France, Italy Greece, the Greek island...you know, the places where there is sun, sand....a bit of nightlife.
But they were given the green light to go to places that many people would not choose to visit.....so, it is not the governments fault that you do not wish to visit these places....it is the fault of the tourist.
It really means that most people will NOT get a foreign holiday because the cost of quarantine and testing at the airport and when returning home makes the costs prohibitive.

I think that is exactly what the government wanted......restrictions on the population.
(Except...you can go on holiday but only to the places they deem suitable)..most of who have been vaccinated anyway....so are they saying that the vaccine counts for nothing?
That it will be unlikely to protect you?
If that is the case, then it really is not a vaccine.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:28   #1827
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well we wish to go to somewhere that is listed in fact we have booked for next year. if you think it may not be a vaccine then i thought you had more sense.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:29   #1828
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i have never really liked tory way at all, but i think its complete rubbish to say places no-one wants to visit in fact i never heard such rubbish in my life. i think its common sense not to visit anywhere that is a lot risky.
The green lists are compiled by the civil servants who work for every government...not just Tory, Labour or any combination of the two.
It is true to say that many countries would make it onto the green list...except these civil servants have not yet assessed the figures for these countries.

As to the risk....if you have had two vaccinations then should this not give you protection?

No one in their right mind would be heading off to places that are still badly affected....
But Cashy, would you go for a holiday to the Falklands or to Iceland...just because some civil servant tells you it is safe?

What is safe anyway?

And as to you never having heard such rubbish in your life....well, all I can say is that you live a very sheltered life!
(That, I do not believe for a second)
Old 12-05-2021, 08:34   #1829
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well we wish to go to somewhere that is listed in fact we have booked for next year. if you think it may not be a vaccine then i thought you had more sense.
Clearly, you thought wrong then.

And by next year it may be possible to travel to more places. Places where a beach holiday is possible...where children can enjoy the facilities as much as their parent.

That you are going to one of these listed countries does not mean that the majority of holidaymakers would choose to go to any of these.

As my previous post says...most want to go to known and trusted holiday destinations
Old 12-05-2021, 08:55   #1830
God Member

just ban all foreign travel both in and out of the country. at least doing this gives the country a better chance to keep any new straines of the virus out. unfortunetly the government are trying to keep everyone happy. keeping the virus under control and the vested interest of travel companies and airlines. give them their way they,d still be running regular flights to india or anywhere else where the virus is raging.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..