Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Corona Virus (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/corona-virus-70938.html)

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2020 20:09

Re: Corona Virus

Thank you Exile...I felt sure there as someone out there who would help me out on this one...yes you have interpreted them correctly.

As I keep saying we need to take less notice of what the media are telling us and think a little more.....and I know that out there there are a lot of people who are hard of thinking.
These are NOT stupid people, they are just people who believe what the media are telling them...swallowing the pap without chewing it.

Reamer 29-03-2020 02:34

Margaret, thank you for remembering the 'conspiracy' link. I tip my hat. One thing I have noticed in your diatribes against the media is that , so far, you have failed to mention the Government.
My take on this is that they had to take the lead from other organisations that curtailed their activities before the Gov had taken a lead. However, they then got a handle on the situation and started to spell out a strategy. How did they do that that ? by using the media. The format was controlled by the Gov, are you agreed ? Three officials in front of the flag with questions to follow any policy declarations. No prior giveaways to the press and the only thing you can possibly question is why does Laura Koensberg (BBC) always get the first question and why is C4 always given the last ? (but maybe that's another conversation)
So...the Gov is relying on the media to relay its decisions to the population...agree ? and anyway. Can you tell me how many copies of the Express are bought in Accrington. Come on, probably about eight on a good day. I wouldn't be seen dead anywhere near that rag.

n

monkey hanger 29-03-2020 08:49

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1238666]The percentages of the U.K. population are 0.028% for those confirmed and 0.0017% for deaths.

in a world where in recent years every facts have been converted into percentages of this or that. suddenly the media have packed in percentages and started talking about numbers of cases and deaths. this gives a picture of the virus being worse than it is. once this is over they,ll be back to their percentage figures once more if that fits their agenda,s that is.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2020 08:52

My observations on the behaviour of the media are just that, observations....a diatribe is a bitter verbal attack.....now if you wish to see my observations as such, then that is your business.
As for the Government not getting a mention in all this, well I think I have mentioned the government a few times.(they are doing what has to be done....whether that is being done well is down to opinion)
As for how the TV Press conferences and how the questions from particular channels are weighted, well, forgive me, but I have seen none of these for quite a while.

The link to the Express was just as an example,there are other newspapers available out there.
As for it being a conspiracy link.....well, it definitely is not that....it is an example of how a media source can instil fear by making predictions about what might happen.
If you really want a conspiracy theory I will find one for you.
I have not a clue how many copies of this are sold in Accrington,that was not my point.
You see it how you want to see it.
I see it in a different light entirely. Nothing I say to you is going to change your mind, I can live with that.

monkey hanger 29-03-2020 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238653)
So the media are not catastrophising the situation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-cross-warning

what on earth is a social bomb. just more of sensational and immotive speech that we are going to have to put up with. social distancing, lockdown, isolation and others i might have missed just makes a bad situation a lot worse. the other word i have always hated is meltdown. should be left for blast furnaces if there are any left.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2020 08:58

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ag...ncDWB83rkXFXM:
Reamer this is just for you....This is a conspiracy theory for you.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2020 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1238682)
what on earth is a social bomb. just more of sensational and immotive speech that we are going to have to put up with. social distancing, lockdown, isolation and others i might have missed just makes a bad situation a lot worse. the other word i have always hated is meltdown. should be left for blast furnaces if there are any left.

Tell that to Reamer. He doesn't see it.
It was just an example plucked from the internet to illustrate how the media have created the monster of panic buying.
Moderate reporting would have prevented much of this....as it would have given us the facts, but also a sense of perspective too.

monkey hanger 29-03-2020 09:09

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1238681]...it is an example of how a media source can instil fear by making predictions about what might happen.

might be way off the mark and probably are, but it gives an impression to me that they actually would not mind if the worst scene happened. goodness knows what their reporting would have been like in ww2. say 100 bombers raided germany, 25 shot down, 50 recieved damage and 25 arrived home safe. they,d be an outcry of the end of the raf being in sight with losses of titanic proprtions after their raf source{a ground crew private] disclosed this to our reporter in a pub near you.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2020 09:45

That is precisely why the news was subject to D notices during the war....it was to protect the people...but then that was a totally different kettle of fish.
It was an enemy that could be seen and the enemy's actions could be predicted and anticipated.

In none of my posts do I make light of the current situation, but I do retain a sense of proportion.

Reamer 29-03-2020 21:04

Tell that to Reamer. He doesn't see it.

I don't need to see it, thanks. I didn't read it. As soon as I saw Daily Express on it, I consigned it to the bin. The conspiracy theory stuff, I've seen before.

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2020 08:11

It would have mattered not one jot, what source I had used to illustrate my point, you would have 'rubbished'it.
Anyway, at least now you know what a real conspiracy theory looks like. So all is not lost.

Reamer 30-03-2020 10:52

You have absolutely no idea what I might 'rubbish'. Don't presume you do. I know what a conspiracy theory is too, thanks, so you can save your efforts.

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2020 11:43

It took very little effort...but pleased to see that you appreciated it.
Well, I will never know for sure what you would have rubbished...but I have my doubts.
I am allowed that.

RainbowSix 31-03-2020 20:52

I still don't get how testing will help, the media are making it out as if testing will be our savior.

I don't think it will, a vaccine/antiwotsit will save us.

Until then I'm hiding under the stairs with a giant bottle of hand sanitiser. :)

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2020 07:18

Testing is essential to determine how many people have the virus.
It will mean that those who have it can be isolated....and those who don't can go to work.
This business of isolating everyone, shutting down businesses is crippling financially for the business and the workers.
Only yesterday there was an item in the newspapers about sickness levels in the power generating companies.....that because people who have symptoms which MIGHT be due to coronavirus must self isolate, they may not have enough workers to ensure supply.
All frontline NHS staff need to be tested.
Would you like to be looked after by someone who,is a symptomless carrier?
All key workers should then get tested.....and this will show where resources are needed.

The current situation is like taking a JCB to shell a peanut....yes, it might work, but there is no edible nut left after the process.

Does that make sense to you Rainbow?

What I really want to know is .....how did you get your hand on a giant bottle of hand sanitiser? :D

monkey hanger 01-04-2020 09:57

problem is you can be tested one day and you,ll be fine. the next day you could have the virus. they still are not sure that once you have had it you cannot contract it again or pass it on. remember as a kid getting one of those things like mumps and measels twice when they said you can only get it once.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2020 10:27

Of course, that is a reality, but testing of Health care staff on a regular basis is the way forward.

There is a lot that is not known about this disease.

(Currently something like a quarter of hospital doctors are off work, away fro taking care of people because they MIGHT be infected....they might just have a cold, but the government guidelines are such that they have to remove themselves from work.)

Because viruses have the ability to mutate(winter flu does this which is why the vaccination needs to be done yearly) then there will be the possibility that you can get it again.....but treating everyone like they have it is foolish.
The World Health Organisation advice to governments is Test, test, test.

Exile on Spencer St 01-04-2020 12:57

Interesting article from Delingpole, but you won’t find anything like it in the MSM (main stream media).
Even more interesting are some of the links within it, especially the one to Hector Drummond, who I’ve now come across twice in recent days and seems to be a sane voice in an increasingly rabid world.
The reference to the Foot & Mouth Panic under Blair, which I recall very well (cost £10Billion, slaughtered millions of perfectly healthy animals, and proved to be unnecessary), rings some alarm bells.
It’s the same Imperial College behind this latest policy!

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...dgy-modelling/

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2020 13:34

The retired judge Jonathon Sumption has been very critical of the hysteria generated by the government lockdown.
It has been badly thought out and the link to this article outlines the flawed science being used to bamboozle the population.
The press have also been instrumental in magnifying the hysteria by their sensationalist use of language...though there are those on the forum who would disagree with this observation.

When all this is over, will,our freedoms return to what they were before?
That is questionable, and a concern.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...state-is-like-

cashman 01-04-2020 14:29

Those who disagree with the observation, to me are the "Definition Of Stupidity"

Reamer 01-04-2020 18:38

Some inspiring people doing some good things despite the doom and gloom.
Priory Campers of Ossy provided 50 campers for NHS staff at Blackburn for rest and isolation.
Lucy Duncan, a nurse,whose car was damaged in an accident with a gent who was isolating and later died has been provided with another vehicle to get her to work. (although she'll have to isolate first after contact with the unfortunate victim).
Small gin distillers in Manchester and the Wirral are making hand sanitiser and providing supplies Arrowe Park hospital , local Gps and care homes.
The technology department of a school (can't remember the name) has produced frames to house face masks again for local surgeries. Local footy clubs Balckburn and Burnley in talks to offer facilities and the many, many volunteers that have stepped up to help those that need it. I salute them all.

Even Liam Gallagher has got involved

https://www.nme.com/news/music/liam-...videos-2633023

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2020 20:07

I second that too.
All those folk who have volunteered to help out by acting as transport, or collecting medicines or doing any other of the vital stuff get my vote...
I especially like the donation of the camper vans to create a hospital village where staff can take respite instead of going home to their families and risking them too.

Ryewolf90 02-04-2020 02:42

What you also need to know is the law regarding the new Coronavirus Restrictions.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

There is nothing in Regulation 6 about how long an exercise or how many times a day can occur, there's also no specifications as whether you can drive to a place to do that exercise.

In fact everything else is just ADVICE

See https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ay-from-others

The first thing it says is Guidance - not law (Guidance: 1. advice or information aimed at resolving a problem or difficulty, especially as given by someone in authority)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...oppers-buying/

Exile on Spencer St 02-04-2020 13:20

At last, information has finally leaked out and some are putting it out on the internet for us to see.
Not the MSM, of course, who have a vested interest in locking the population up with nothing to do but watch and listen to their scare-mongering and catastrophising.
But, from the Office of National Statistics own data, it now seems clear that the current, ‘horrific’, ‘unprecedented’, and ‘frightening’ death rates being experienced in this country and no more than USUAL!

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_mar_corona_what

cashman 02-04-2020 13:45

yeh mate but the knobheads insist they do not scaremonger, :rolleyes: statistics are always better than media bullshine.

Margaret Pilkington 02-04-2020 13:49

This manufactured climate of fear is a way of exerting control(the currency of control is fear) and the worry is that it not just in this country that personal freedoms have been removed...it is in the majority of the countires in the world...OK some countries to a lesser degree.
So what IS going on?
What are the elite of the world(the likes of the Bilderburgers) trying to achieve?

Margaret Pilkington 02-04-2020 13:54

I'm not entirely sure that is true Cashy...though I do not trust the media(they feed us what they want us to know...and that is not necessarily the truth.Truth is very subjective) You can lie just as easily with statistics...and people can be bamboozled with numbers because you can make them say whatever you want them to say by distorting the criteria of their collection.

Wasn't it Churchill who said 'There are lies, Damn lies.amd statistics'?

skuta 02-04-2020 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238771)
This manufactured climate of fear is a way of exerting control(the currency of control is fear) and the worry is that it not just in this country that personal freedoms have been removed...it is in the majority of the countires in the world...OK some countries to a lesser degree.
So what IS going on?
What are the elite of the world(the likes of the Bilderburgers) trying to achieve?

It made me wonder too, glad I'm not the only one thinking that.

Have you considered this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQzOzEbYQB4

Margaret Pilkington 02-04-2020 20:41

No..not just you.
When things like this happen where all news is wiped from the face of the planet, by something that COULD have been created(though I am NOT saying it was), I get to wondering what is going on behind the scenes.

Certainly this is one way to ensure that those in Extinction Rebellion get to see a world where there is no industry, no travel...I wonder if Greta Thunberg is happy with how things are turning out.

for sure the population is going to be pruned, but economies are being destroyed...and once this is all over will there be the mass unemployment that creates a bigger underclass...with real poverty at its core?

Thank you for that Skuta...a very interesting video there.

skuta 02-04-2020 20:51

When I had my stroke and recovering in hospital. A lady in a different bay died from what turned out to be a heart attack. I observed that during all the commotion "Patient Confidentiality" is a total myth, along with personal privacy too (whole different story). Here's how:

When I asked an RGN about the incident she said she couldn't tell me because of so called patient confidentiality. All I was really doing was clarifying a few points she had just yelled across the ward to her colleague. So much for her concept of confidentiality.

Margaret Pilkington 02-04-2020 21:23

I worked in the NHS for almost 30 years.
In open wards it is really very difficult to maintain confidentiality....especially so now with bedside handovers.
Curtains never made for keeping things confidential and in my day there were some consultants who could whisper over three fields.....Sheffield, Chesterfield and Huddersfield.

Margaret Pilkington 03-04-2020 07:06

We have to be a bit careful about what we say....it seems that these days there is a thing called 'group think' and if you deviate from this ten you are called out as being thick...or stupid....or crazy....but you know what?...crazy people tell everyone they are sane....while sane people think they might be crazy.

monkey hanger 03-04-2020 08:57

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
All those folk who have volunteered to help out by acting as transport, or collecting medicines or doing any other of the vital stuff get my vote...

thats fine if they are not penalised for doing it. a guy a few doors from me who is a hgv driver of all types plus a pcv driver volunteered his services as he was not working due to the virus. he was told that he would lose his wage he was already getting if he did. he said he didn,t want paying but still his services was not required unless he risked losing his present wage.

Margaret Pilkington 03-04-2020 09:06

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1238803][QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;

thats fine if they are not penalised for doing it. a guy a few doors from me who is a hgv driver of all types plus a pcv driver volunteered his services as he was not working due to the virus. he was told that he would lose his wage he was already getting if he did. he said he didn,t want paying but still his services was not required unless he risked losing his present wage.[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely appalling.
He should be contacting his MP regarding this.
At times like this his skills should be used...they are valuable, in demand and would benefit both him and the people he can help.

monkey hanger 03-04-2020 09:08

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;
Not the MSM, of course, who have a vested interest in locking the population up with nothing to do but watch and listen to their scare-mongering and catastrophising.

imagine its caused panic among people who just feel a bit off it one day for no reason. i doubt, especially among older people, that we all feel different when waking up one day to the next. those who worry more than others especially the ones who have a season ticket for the doctors must be either living in a personal hell or wasting the health services time.

skuta 05-04-2020 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238794)
No..not just you.
When things like this happen where all news is wiped from the face of the planet, by something that COULD have been created(though I am NOT saying it was), I get to wondering what is going on behind the scenes.

Certainly this is one way to ensure that those in Extinction Rebellion get to see a world where there is no industry, no travel...I wonder if Greta Thunberg is happy with how things are turning out.

for sure the population is going to be pruned, but economies are being destroyed...and once this is all over will there be the mass unemployment that creates a bigger underclass...with real poverty at its core?

Thank you for that Skuta...a very interesting video there.

If you liked that video maybe you'll have the same sentiments about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmyHP5szGY

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2020 12:58

Initially, there was a report that this virus was a result of a leak/accident at the institute of Virology ten miles from Wuhan.
This is where viruses are bio-engineered.
That report said that this virus had been 'tweaked' by scientists to make it more transmissible to humans.
Of course this was jumped on as being inaccurate, a lie.
Except there is a strong suspicion that China has lied all along about the virus....both the numbers affected and the deaths, also the date that it was first recognised in the population.
There is also a virus laboratory that is only 3 miles from the Wuhan market where we are asked to believe that this was the place it all kicked off.
So now scientists are beginning to give more credibility to this scenario.
There is something not quite right about all of this.
Something that we are not being told.
If this virus had been engineered to be easier to transmit to humans.....what was the purpose of this.
I leave you to draw your own conclusions on this.

For some time now there has been a feeling that the only way to ensure that the world can survive climate change(if you believe that stuff) is to reduce population by 50%, leaving half of the planet to flora and fauna.

There have been rumours that big pharma has been implicated in this, courtesy of the Bill Gates Vaccination program.
This has allegedly been debunked, but there are some interesting and concerning holes in the debunking.
Bill and Melinda Gates appear very philanthropic in giving billions to ensure children in the developing world can be vaccinated against the diseases they are subject to, from drinking dirty water.
Bill Gates want to vaccinate all these children, but isn't that a bit strange?
Would it not be easier to give the children clean water sources?
Well, yes of course it would, but that would bring in no money to big pharma.

Now if you want to see both of these scenarios as conspiracy theories.....so be it.
you make your own mind up

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2020 13:08

There are a lot of people out there who are very clearly, hard of thinking.

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2020 14:42

Skuta...thank you for that too.
Much of what was being said in relation to the perspective(the actual numbers) of this infection jas been aired on here, by Eile on Spencer Street and by others like myself.
I am an old cynical baggage and I do not take everything on face value...in fact I would say that I take very lttle on face value.
Andrew Mather nailed it in regard to how the government has dealt with this...and they have been ably assisted by creating a climate of fear by the main stream media.

I will say it again....the currency of control is fear
creating a fearful situation and then seeming to ride in and rescue the population is aimed at controlling us.

there have been moves to rid the population of cash....because cash cannot be 'followed'...whereas card transactions mean you ARE followed...your moves can be tracked.....and using only cards means the banks are in control of the money.....they can then manipulate the population because without their help you cannot survive.

This then creates an underclass of people...those who cannot have a card..or prefer not to use a card (for economic reasons - you can see cash in your purse...you know that when it is gone it is gone...not so with card transactions).
I could go on, but feel sure that my ramblings will have people consider me to be like a Snickers bar...nutty.

monkey hanger 06-04-2020 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238865)

This then creates an underclass of people...those who cannot have a card..or prefer not to use a card (for economic reasons - you can see cash in your purse...you know that when it is gone it is gone...not so with card transactions).
I could go on, but feel sure that my ramblings will have people consider me to be like a Snickers bar...nutty.

if you are a nut then god help us all. for someone like me who only uses cash i do not think you would be an underclass but more like a luddite. some actually scoff at cash users especiaaly the ones who seem to be carrying a full deck of em in their wallets and purses. at least i,m not in debt which is the main thing.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 10:01

I really object to being told how I have to pay for something.
I have a debit card...I use it rarely because I do not trust the people who take my card details will take good care of those details.
They are unconcerned about what happens if my details are scanned or cloned because they do not have to deal with it.
I use my card to get cash from the bank...the last time I looked banknotes and coins were legal tender.

I know people are worried about picking up the virus from money, but it is a very slim chance...and if you follow good hygiene practices then that is minimised.
You are just as likely to get it on an envelope of Curry house flyer that comes through your door.

accybeme 06-04-2020 10:23

Yes you should have the freedom to choose which way you pay but in the present circumstances I can understand why it is preferable to pay by card, online it's card only and I notice that atm’s are now suddenly making a charge to withdraw cash, your spread of the virus on pamphlets through the door observation is well warranted

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 11:14

Every day we take risks..it is how we manage these risk that makes the difference.

Do you take any special precautions during the normal winter flu season? Because the risks of that are just as great if you have underlying health conditions.(in fact research shows that the winter flu is much more contagious than the current virus)
You may say...No I get vaccinated...OK if you do the vaccine is for the flu virus that was prevalent the winter before...and as we know viruses mutate...which is why you can be vaccinated and STILL get flu.

The current situation has been blown out of all proportion.
The Office of National Statistics which collates the figure for deaths, show little or ni increase for March of this year against March of last year.

Also did you know that if anyone dies within 60 days of being diagnosed positive with Covid-19 their death will be atttributed to the virus regardless of what they actually died from

Currently there is NO SENSIBLE perspective on this infection....just emotinve and scary language from the media and 'headless chicken' reaction from government which will leave the country impoverished for decades to come.

accybeme 06-04-2020 12:35

I have no doubt that you have researched the differences on death’s from respiratory disease year on year, I have just done a search
the latest figures that were given was for w/e 20th March 2020 and reported 1514 for that week
the corresponding w/e 22nd March 2019 reported 1486
not such a different result
but 20th of March is before the huge rise of deaths reported in the news it will be interesting to see what the corresponding figures are for early April

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 12:58

Yes you are right about the figures being before the surge.
I am still of the opinion that there has not been a sensible perspective.
There are more than 60 million people in this country, so the current figures are a very small percentage of the population.
We DO NOT KNOW what the true figures are because you can only accurately determine the size of the problem if community testing is carried out to see who actually has the infection.

So whatever the figures are, they are meaningless because there is no accuracy in them.

I do not dispute that this is a serious situation, but I do think we need to use our brains when interpreting what we are being told.
The way this has been handled is as big a worry as the infection is.
UK PLC is shut....and that is detrimental to everyone.

Reamer 06-04-2020 16:05

I agree with you accybeme. The Off Nat Stats are retrospective numbers and at March 20 they were indeed close to the previous year's numbers. March 21st , daily deaths were 56 but two weeks later those numbers were ten times those numbers with the highest daily figure at over 700, so it will be interesting to see the next ONS figures and see them in some context !

cashman 06-04-2020 18:14

just had a phonecall telling me an owd mate has just died of this bloody virus,:eek:

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 19:45

Sorry to hear that Cashy...stay safe, stay well, stay sane.

cashman 06-04-2020 19:51

seems Boris is in intensive care now, hope he mends.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 19:54

Yes...I have just seen that.
I am sure they are doing all they can for him.

cashman 06-04-2020 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238899)
Yes...I have just seen that.
I am sure they are doing all they can for him.

im sure they are, was never a tory fan, but think hes done ok since taking the helm.and it sure aint been a walk in the park!

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 20:06

Like you, was not a fan, but he has had a tough time right from the start...and I wish him well.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 21:22

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk...ng-916580.html

This article is worth a read....well, I think so.

Hill Walker 06-04-2020 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238514)
Thank you for taking the time to write to Dave.
We have received your email and will be in touch soon.
Our office hours are 8am-8pm on Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm on Saturday, closed on Sunday.

Group Chief Executive’s Office.

the above is a reply I have had from Tesco...so it did not go into the spam file.
Watch this space.

Just had a news-letter from Tesco that contains :-

----

Also yesterday, we began work on our first dedicated NHS Nightingale Hospital pop-up store, at the NEC in Birmingham. We’ll provide NHS staff with on-site 24-hour access to the food and household products they need. Construction at the NEC started on Sunday and we aim to be open by the end of next week – so it’s all hands on deck. We’re in late-stage discussions with other Nightingale sites, and hope that this is the first of several pop-up Tesco stores that will help the NHS staff in those hospitals.

----
That looks very close to your suggestion.

accybeme 07-04-2020 05:29

A question for you Margaret; being a former NHS worker, (Dr. David Lloyd on early ITV news this morning reported that another problem with the coronavirus was blood coagulation causing clotting) is this a normal complication with other forms of influencer

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 06:11

I would need more information to give you an answer on that....like how prevalent is this symptom? is it just present in some cases? What kind of patients is this symptom seen in(age, gender, health status)
Are the cases it is seen in complicated by other health issues.
I have been out of the NHS for quite a while, but continue to have an interest in medical matters....if I find the answers I will let you know.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Walker (Post 1238908)

----

Also yesterday, we began work on our first dedicated NHS Nightingale Hospital pop-up store, at the NEC in Birmingham. We’ll provide NHS staff with on-site 24-hour access to the food and household products they need. Construction at the NEC started on Sunday and we aim to be open by the end of next week – so it’s all hands on deck. We’re in late-stage discussions with other Nightingale sites, and hope that this is the first of several pop-up Tesco stores that will help the NHS staff in those hospitals.

----

Yes, it does look mighty close to my suggestion.
A step in the right direction.

Booths in Preston refused to serve a member of the NHS recently....she was shopping in uniform.
Now back in the day we were supposed to change out of uniform when we left the hospital, unless we had a full length coat to cover our uniform.
This was aimed at preventing cross infection.

In the current circumstance, NO member of NHS staff should be out shopping in the clothes they wear for duty.
These clothes should be left to be laundered by the hospital at the end of each shift.

accybeme 07-04-2020 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238910)
I would need more information to give you an answer on that....like how prevalent is this symptom? is it just present in some cases? What kind of patients is this symptom seen in(age, gender, health status)
Are the cases it is seen in complicated by other health issues.
I have been out of the NHS for quite a while, but continue to have an interest in medical matters....if I find the answers I will let you know.

Thanks for that Margaret I just asked because that’s the first I have seen that blood clotting was a complication with Coronavirus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by accybeme (Post 1238909)
A question for you Margaret; being a former NHS worker, (Dr. David Lloyd on early ITV news this morning reported that another problem with the coronavirus was blood coagulation causing clotting) is this a normal complication with other forms of influencer

I think what this Doctor was discussing was a condition known as Disseminated Itravascular Coagulation.(though I did not see the interview)
This is a complicating factor in many severe illnesses, Injury or trauma of any description can cause this condition to occur.
So I guess that it could arise from a very severe influenza....except that during a time of winter flu, because the situation is not a pandemic, you would not hear anything about it...you would just hear that someone had died from flu.

Around 13,000 deaths occur each year from the winter flu....and this is in spite of vaccinating those considered to be vulnerable....this figure rarely makes the news in the way Covid-19 has...and again this is because it is a pandemic.

I have said throughout this thread....it is a serious infection, but it needs to be seen in dispassionate terms and without all the journalistic hyperbole....the scary language that reports contain....that it is a killer, with no cure
Yes, it has the ability to kill, but then so do many other infections....it has no cure, but then neither does the common cold or the winter flu.

Many more people may have had it or have got it and are suffering only mild or even no symptoms.

The panic that has ensued and engulfed the health service has largely been manufactured.

The lack of ability to test has meant that we cannot accurately determine exactly the size of the problem.

The WHO advice was to 'test, test, test' yet this advice has been largely ignored.
Germany is doing something in the order of ten thousand tests every day....other places are testing so they have a better idea where the viral hot spots are.

Accybeme, I hope this answers your question satisfactorily.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 09:17

In my 30 year career I only saw this condition on three occasions.
Once as a complication in pregnancy and the other times were in cases of advanced and inoperable cancer.

monkey hanger 07-04-2020 10:23

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;

I have said throughout this thread....it is a serious infection, but it needs to be seen in dispassionate terms and without all the journalistic hyperbole....the scary language that reports contain....that it is a killer, with no cure
Yes, it has the ability to kill, but then so do many other infections....it has no cure, but then neither does the common cold or the winter flu.

when we all get back to normal i imagine that there will be plenty like me who will have a little chuckle. we all know those whose major talking point in there illnesses and their weekly use of their season ticket to the doctors that week. whats the betting once we meet these types again is that they,d had the virus. if the reporting had been toned down more than a little the hypocondriacts might have been more immune.

flashy 07-04-2020 11:11

Hi Margaret, our uniform policy as of last week (our policies are changing daily) we can go to work in our uniforms but MUST change into our civvies before leaving the ward so as not to take any sort of infection out into public areas with us.

Our usual policy was we could wear it to work and home but we must not be seen to be wearing it to go shopping or in a pub

Hope you are all safe and well and weathering the storm safely x

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 12:01

Thank you for that update Flashy.
It is good to know that this issue has been addressed.
It was always that you could not be seen out in your uniform unless it was fully covered.
Hope you are well Flashy and your big boy too...stay well, stay safe stay sane.
Live cheerful not fearful.

flashy 07-04-2020 13:17

Reece (now 23) like the majority has had his workplace closed down until everything gets back to normal, both Anthony and i work on the same ward and havent got any cases of covid-19 as yet, the hospital is in a constant battle to do the best for everyone, the guys on the frontline are doing an amazing job and we as staff are all thankfull to them for that

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 13:35

Flashy....I cannot believe your little boy is all grown up!
Where did the time go eh?
I bet you ask yourself that daily.
Flashy I hope you do not get any on your ward(or is that hoping for too much)
I know from what I have seen that you all do an amazing job.
Keep up the good work....and my personal thanks to all who work so very hard to keep us well and restore us when we are ill.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 13:54

Sheila Oakes, the Labour Mayor of Heanor has said on social media 'Boris completely deserves this'.
She has since apologised, but she is a terrible woman to wish this on anyone.
There are people who say that this crisis is making people kinder.....is this an example of this.
All I can say is 'Karma, Ms Oakes....and she will decide what kind it is you get'

Reamer 07-04-2020 15:58

Margaret, considering what you have written in your last post, should you not now review your post about Barnier in post 96 ?

Just a thought.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 16:43

The difference here Reamer is that I am NOT a Labour Mayor.
That this woman makes such jibes purely because Boris Johnson belongs to a party she does not like....being a Mayor means you are subject to constraints.

So, thank you for your advice, but pardon me if I decline.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 16:45

By the way Reamer...I did not wish him dead...I just wished for his recovery to be as long and arduous as our negotiations with this man...a bit of a difference I think.

Reamer 07-04-2020 16:52

There is no difference. Your quote of the Mayor of Heanor did not say she wished Boris dead either and, as you also say, she did have , at least, the good grace to apologise for her horrid comments.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 16:57

She said he deserved it.....and her social and political position DOES matter. What she says will influence those whose votes she requires.
(I have no social or political reputation to uphold)
She apologised, but only because of the backlash from social media.
I am not going to....and if you consider that to be graceless, then that is entirely up to you.

cashman 07-04-2020 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 1238933)
Margaret, considering what you have written in your last post, should you not now review your post about Barnier in post 96 ?

Just a thought.

Post 96 are you deluded or what? she did say i hope he gets over it,:rolleyes: never wished the end of the man, though i would not have complained.

Reamer 07-04-2020 19:04

Who mentioned the end of the man ? I didn't. Read through the posts properly if you're gonna spout off.

post 96 MP says

'I hope the man gets over it, but I hope it takes him four years and that his bed shakes him onto the floor every night with the rigours of illness.
And even that would be too good for him'

about another human being ? Really?

accybeme 07-04-2020 19:45

I thought this was a friendly forum not one of recrimination, I'm sure I am not the only one to bite my tounge at something I have said but thankfully most people realise I am human and humans are prone to errors unfortunately

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 1238943)
Who mentioned the end of the man ? I didn't. Read through the posts properly if you're gonna spout off.

post 96 MP says

'I hope the man gets over it, but I hope it takes him four years and that his bed shakes him onto the floor every night with the rigours of illness.

Yes, that is what I said and I make no apology for it.

It was my considered post...I post with honesty..if my opinions or thoughts are
too strong for you then you have two options.
1) don't read my posts.
2) report the post if you feel that it goes against forum rules.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Walker (Post 1238908)

----

----

I have just sent a note of thanks to Paul Callan at the CEO's office at Tesco.

I have said that it is a start....and asked for my thanks to be conveyed to the team and business partners that enabled this development.
Not sure if I will hear anything further.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by accybeme (Post 1238944)
I thought this was a friendly forum not one of recrimination, I'm sure I am not the only one to bite my tounge at something I have said but thankfully most people realise I am human and humans are prone to errors unfortunately

Accybeme, it is both a friendly AND helpful forum.
I cannot count the times that members have helped one another out, both with information and practical help.

Reamer 07-04-2020 21:23

The forum is about opinions. I too have opinions and post honestly, as I see it.

cashman 08-04-2020 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 1238943)

post 96 MP says

I said she said i hope he gets over it, i can read properly, it seems its beyond you. if she hadnt said that what would it mean?

Reamer 08-04-2020 09:33

See above

accybeme 09-04-2020 07:07

I’m wearing mask when I go out, I know a lot take objections to mask wearing but how many people are carrying the virus and & passing it to others without realising it, to me if the virus is passed in droplets we breath out then wearing a mask must be helping to stop the spread the virus, how do others perceive the wearing of masks

cashman 09-04-2020 07:36

personally dont think they are much use, but if it makes yeh feel a bit safer cart on.

Margaret Pilkington 09-04-2020 09:24

There are only certain masks that will give adequate protection.(they need to conform to the contours of your face)
Once a mask gets moist from exhaled breath it becomes permeable to bacteria and viruses and care needs to be taken when removing masks and disposing of them.

But it is whatever the individual feels is right for them. I have absolutely no objections to people wearing a mask for their protection.
We are taking supplemental vitamin C and D....it is what we take every winter.
We usually stop taking these the weekend the clocks go forward, but this year we have continued.

I have also been gargling with listerine night and morning...it is only a precaution....and there is nothing to say it is effective.

monkey hanger 09-04-2020 10:04

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1238999]

But it is whatever the individual feels is right for them. I have absolutely no objections to people wearing a mask for their protection.

my view on mask wearing as well. its a few around my area that annoy me as it seems a new fashion statement in keighley. the majority seem to be women in the early 20,s. that comes as no surprise really.

Margaret Pilkington 09-04-2020 11:00

Most of the people I have seen wearing proper masks have been older people.

I have seen women with their cowl neck of their jumper pulled up as an impromptu mask...and a few younger chaps wearing bandanas as masks.
They might think that this will protect them but I have my doubts.

What people forget is that if someone has coughed or sneezed the virus can remain airborne for something like three hours....and you can absorb it through contact with the eyes....so you need to protect not just your nose and mouth but your eyes as well.

Reamer 09-04-2020 11:57

Went out cycling this morning (without mask) and it was noticeable that traffic levels are creeping up. Probably the highest I've seen since the lockdown. Are people getting restless ? Easter weekend could be a pointer.
On the bright side, the air is cleaner than it has been for yonks.

Margaret Pilkington 09-04-2020 13:14

I think it might have been that folk are getting in their food for the Easter weekend.
Aldi and Lidl car parks were noticeably busier from 8 am.
If folk can't go out they might as well have something good to chow down on.

Aldi have some very upmarket style Easter eggs for 2.99...they were 4.99.

Hill Walker 09-04-2020 13:21

OK I’ve just come back from my weekly shopping trip. BUT I’ve got a problem which seems to be getting worse. I’ve got a psychosomatic itch which develops almost as soon as I leave the supermarket. Its happened every time since the week before the formal lockdown started and its got worse every time. As you would expect Its exactly where you do not want to touch your face, on the top lip just underneath the nose. On previous journeys I’ve just managed to grin and put up with it but not this time. It was so bad it threatened to affect my driving so I just had to stop and tear out a small bit of someone’s hedge and then use the end I had not touched to scratch it. That go me half way home and then it came back again!

HELP and I mean this seriously does anyone know of any trick, technique or what ever that can moderate, prevent or alleviate a psychosomatic itch?

Margaret Pilkington 09-04-2020 13:33

I'm not sure if something like loratadine(Claritin) would help.
It is a simple non drowsy anti histamine.
You would probably need to take it a couple of hours before a supermarket visit.

I noticed today that there is a lot of blossom out....and when I got home my eyes were itching and I have had several bouts of sneezing....my temperature is normal and I have no cough or sore throat.

Hill Walker 09-04-2020 13:43

Thanks MP, yes the Hay Fever season has started and yes I suffer from it but never like this. Sudden sneezes, runny eyes, etc but not skin itches. The timing alone is enough to indicate its psycosomatic rather than physical. Never the less I will try your suggestion ASAP.

Margaret Pilkington 09-04-2020 13:54

I hope it works for you.....if you go to a chemists ask for the Loratidine, being a generic it is cheaper and the bioavailabilty(the effectiveness) is 100%.
Another one is Cetirizine...also non drowsy(trade name Zirtek)...also cheaper if you do not buy the branded version.

monkey hanger 10-04-2020 09:04

with the hay fever season starting some people are affected by their breathing as well as other stuff. could be a case of them thinking its the virus and not hay fever they regularly get.

Margaret Pilkington 10-04-2020 09:09

It also seems that if you DO suffer from Hay Fever then you must take your meds as Hay Fever MAY mean you are at increased risk of getting the infection.
The operative word here is MAY.

Normally you do not get a high temperature with Hay Fever, or digestive symptoms or muscle pain....so thes are definitive factors.

monkey hanger 10-04-2020 09:10

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239016]I think it might have been that folk are getting in their food for the Easter weekend.

were they all in a queue 2 metres apart outside, two metres from each other at the checkout but inbetween walking past each other a couple of feet away in the aisles. it really makes perfect sense to a thick north easterner like me.

taddy 10-04-2020 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238999)
There are only certain masks that will give adequate protection.(they need to conform to the contours of your face)
Once a mask gets moist from exhaled breath it becomes permeable to bacteria and viruses and care needs to be taken when removing masks and disposing of them.

We are taking supplemental vitamin C and D....it is what we take every winter.
We usually stop taking these the weekend the clocks go forward, but this year we have continued.

I have also been gargling with listerine night and morning...it is only a precaution....and there is nothing to say it is effective.

At the first sign of a cold, a tickle in the nose or throat, I always gargle with T.C.P. one tea spoon to five tea spoons of water; my G.P. prescribes antibiotics and steroids for emergency use as I have suffered from C.O.P.D. for more than thirty years; in the last three years since using T.C.P. at the start of a cough or cold I have not had to take the emergency medication.
As a bonus it also works (neat), on ferret bites !

taddy 10-04-2020 09:50

It does take a bottle or two of Hobgoblin to get shut of the taste.

Margaret Pilkington 10-04-2020 10:00

Yes, the taste of TCP is not pleasant.....in my nursing times we called it Tom Cat Pee.

I have no underlying health issues(that I know of...but I give medical practitioner a very wide berth) and during the flu season I use a listerine mouthwash to gargle with(it is the one with Alcohol and Chlorhexidine).
During this crisis I have been doing this each morning and at bedtime

Margaret Pilkington 10-04-2020 10:03

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1239052]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239016)
I think it might have been that folk are getting in their food for the Easter weekend.

were they all in a queue 2 metres apart outside, two metres from each other at the checkout but inbetween walking past each other a couple of feet away in the aisles. it really makes perfect sense to a thick north easterner like me.

They made us stand two metres apart outside......and two metres apart at the checkout, but yes, you are right there is very little ability to social distance while going round the store...so it is a nonsense...but if it makes people feel safer...then, so be it.

cashman 10-04-2020 10:15

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239056]
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1239052)

They made us stand two metres apart outside......and two metres apart at the checkout, but yes, you are right there is very little ability to social distance while going round the store...so it is a nonsense...but if it makes people feel safer...then, so be it.

when i went tesco on tuesday went to get some tomaoes there was a right dickhead there, i stood my distance from this knob he got his tomatoes then got his mobile out and rang his wife up. stayed blocking my acess for approx 5 mins,this was not a kid he looked about mid 30s to me, when he rang off i said are you thick or what, he asked me what i said, so i repeated it, he then decided to move pretty quickly.:D

Hill Walker 10-04-2020 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239056)

Somewhat more strict at my last supermarket visit. The couple in front of me in the incoming queue were separated she was provided with a trolley, he was not allowed in. One of the 'plastic trolley collecting huts' in the car park contained a group of children (obviously siblings) being guarded by a member of staff, I assume they had not been allowed in to the store with the shopper to whom they belonged. Also numbers in the store were limited one in, one out with the maximum being something like 2 to each bay + 2 to each checkout. Also a defined one way route through the store.