Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 02:27   #166
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Have your say

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
We all say, Andrew, that things were better 10/20/50 years ago ... whatever. Problem is medical science has moved on so much, that there are more treatments to be had to treat many conditions, so more stress on services.

Ok, 10 years ago, you may have got better service but died, now they have the knowledge to save you, so more pressure and demands to administer these advances, etc.
10/20 years ago the immigrant population was much lower than it is today.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:48   #167
Resting in Peace

Re: Have your say

When I was in (was addmited 5 weks ago today) I was on ward C6, that week they were getting ready together with C8 and could have been others, to move out accross the corridore as they were being refurbished, I know these ward have been open over 15 years, so this maybe part of the problem at the moment, but I'm only guessing
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44   #168
Loz

My Grandad was recently rushed to Blackburn after a fall,they suspected he had broken his hip,as he is 91 of course we were really worried knowing what could happen if that was the case.
He was led on a trolley for 6 or 7 hours waiting for an x-ray which i think is disgraceful.
Luckily it turned out only to be badly bruised but it could have been a lot worse and the time spent waiting around could have been crucial.
He was told that they were short staffed and had a massive queue for x-rays.
Surely in this day and age this isn't acceptable?
If there was more than one hospital this wouldn't happen would it?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
My Grandad was recently rushed to Blackburn after a fall,they suspected he had broken his hip,as he is 91 of course we were really worried knowing what could happen if that was the case.
He was led on a trolley for 6 or 7 hours waiting for an x-ray which i think is disgraceful.
Luckily it turned out only to be badly bruised but it could have been a lot worse and the time spent waiting around could have been crucial.
He was told that they were short staffed and had a massive queue for x-rays.
Surely in this day and age this isn't acceptable?
If there was more than one hospital this wouldn't happen would it?
No need to say anything else Loz, Spot On
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33   #170
God Member

Two weeks ago my doc gave me a form which I could present to the hospital Xray dept and have an xray without a prior appointmment, in the daytime before 4.30pm.

I went at 4pm on a Friday - there were only 2 others waiting - I was xrayed and out again within an hour.

I was amazed - suppose they get troughs and peaks in the need for xrays.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57   #171
Loz

I've no doubt it isn't a regular problem Margeret but the fact that it happens at all is wrong imo.
I bet my Grandad was overlooked too because of his age or is that me being too cynical?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:22   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
believe it, i have met you! this is have your say thread,n thats the opinion i have come to, if yer not pleased about it- tough.
What a disrespectful thing to say that could not be further from the truth.

I want to get involved in politics to help people have the same chances I had. I went to Mount Carmel and St Mary's College and had a chance to go to University if that is for you, nothing special. Many never reach that stage. The wealth gap is ever rising, those at the very bottom, even if they wanted to get out of it, struggle to. If somebody wants to work and show their efforts, then they should not be punished through high taxation. They should not be punished in such a way that the jobless on benefits can 'earn' more than they do.

Throwing money at problems does not solve them. Many areas suffer from poverty of ambition. The handouts are enough to sustain them and there is no motivation to seek work. When children grow up seeing that their parents, neighbours, friends, have no ambition to move up in life, they too succumb to the same lifestyle. Why can't we change that? Why can't we try and end the cycles, why can't we get people out of deprivation rather than leaving them behind.

Every aspect of my personal aspirations are to improve peoples lives. One way I can do that is to go into teaching, so I pass on skills and knowledge to a new generation, and hopefully pass on a tiny bit of the passion I have too. In politics, whether I am helping somebody get elected, or perhaps attempting it myself someday, I do so because politics changes lives. I do it because the whole point of having politicians, the whole point of having a government, is to improve the lives and protect peoples rights to freedom. If a government attempts to take these things away - then what is the point in government at all?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:44   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
What a disrespectful thing to say that could not be further from the truth.
sorry but i was taught respect is "Earned" not given out willy nilly, n in my book you aint earned it.you may not like it,but that is my opinion.
Old 18-08-2008, 19:19   #174
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well was in Burnley General today (minor op),everything was spotless, staff were top rate, only gripe i should not have had to trail oer yon, the same op last time was performed in the " Nurses" room at Peel House, so being a cynical ******, i reckon these things are just to make the number crunchers look good. n sod the inconveiniance to the public.
Old 18-08-2008, 20:06   #175

Maybe the Peel House staff at the new place are too busy now…rushed off their feet poor souls

At least the op went well and you got your shopping , so not a total waste
Old 18-08-2008, 23:17   #176
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Maybe the Peel House staff at the new place are too busy now…rushed off their feet poor souls

At least the op went well and you got your shopping , so not a total waste
yeh but have to go the new place fer stitches out, then back to burnley in october fer em to have a sneck???
Old 18-08-2008, 23:54   #177
God Member

The NHS is in alot better state than it was 20yrs ago.. do people have some sort of memory lapse?.. people dying on trollies in corridors. old people dying through lack of funds in their homes and in hospitals... the NHS is far from perfect but I effin know it's alot better than the under funding service given 15-20yrs ago.. you get what you pay for.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 23:59   #178
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

don't think anyones got a memory lapse, n disagree people do not get what they pay for, so its better in some respects, n a damn site worse in others. just ask the nurses, but not on here, they get disciplined.
Old 19-08-2008, 00:30   #179
God Member

No memory lapse here and things have changed not for the better. Bigger hospitals do not neccessarily mean better service
Old 19-08-2008, 09:14   #180
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't think anyones got a memory lapse, n disagree people do not get what they pay for, so its better in some respects, n a damn site worse in others. just ask the nurses, but not on here, they get disciplined.
Agree with you fully here!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..