Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2008, 21:56   #91
God Member

Re: Have your say

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nah thats a con, had me last one done at "Peel House" n its the same operation, there it was done within 2 weeks of seeing me doc, the new all singing, dancing health centre dont do em, so i have 6/7 weeks to wait. they can demonstrate owt with figures n cyfr will believe em.
Then it makes even less sense for you to need to go to hospital for the procedure, I thought these new health centres were equipped to carry out minor procedures. Looking like they are just going to end up as white elephants
Old 23-07-2008, 22:01   #92
God Member

Quote:
they can demonstrate owt with figures n cyfr will believe em.
Old 23-07-2008, 22:18   #93
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Have your say

The last time that the jolly green giants (it stated paramedics across their backs) took me on a trip was when I had an extremely painful pulmonary embolism that felt like a knife sticking in my ribs with each slightest movement, even when breathing.

All they did was give me oxygen and asked a load of questions. All the jolting in the ambulance could have dislodged the blood clot and the next stop would have been the heart. It was here that speed bumps didn’t do anything for my care on the trip from Darwen to what was still then Queens Park Hospital. I should hate to have had to do that trip from Nelson to the Royal. Within minutes of arrival the casualty doctor stuck some clot busting drugs in my stomach and a morphine jab to ease the pain. After that I couldn’t care less.

No matter how good the paramedic might be the real answer is getting the patient to a real doctor as quickly as possible and that means one town, one major hospital with full A & E facilities.
Old 23-07-2008, 22:54   #94
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Then it makes even less sense for you to need to go to hospital for the procedure, I thought these new health centres were equipped to carry out minor procedures. Looking like they are just going to end up as white elephants
i agree bernie, would have been 20 mins max if it was done in the health centre n cyfr can put the broken record sign up fer evermore. its him not me thats waiting fer figures, commonsense don't need em.
Old 28-07-2008, 10:26   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
So you're trying to say I am not for people, for life? Don't be so narrow minded, it could quite easily be the other way around, it could be that changing it back with all the money involved in the process will cost lives, this is why we need more information to decide.

You'd think I was against the idea of Burnley having an A&E back with the way you're carrying on! All I want to see is which option is saving the most lives and providing the best healthcare, rather than just guessing as you are.

My heart tells me we should have the service in Burnley and Blackburn. It would be irresponsible for me to go with my heart, without first at least looking at some valuable facts.

Not quite the figures you want for A&E but this article in todays Telegraph gives you an idea how much services have improved (NOT) by joining the services of the 2 hospitals together. Mind you the article is flawed because the information comes from a doctor at the coal face, not one of the brain dead bean counters in their swanky offices

Doctor's shocking claims over Blackburn and Burnley hospitals (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 28-07-2008, 11:04   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not quite the figures you want for A&E but this article in todays Telegraph gives you an idea how much services have improved (NOT) by joining the services of the 2 hospitals together. Mind you the article is flawed because the information comes from a doctor at the coal face, not one of the brain dead bean counters in their swanky offices

Doctor's shocking claims over Blackburn and Burnley hospitals (From Lancashire Telegraph)
I think that says it all dave, no wonder the bean counters were annoyed at the medic, because they've been shown up for what they are, maybe these people who lay down the rules don't bother with the NHS but all have private health care. I've had the same consultant for 22 years but on the last two occasions I've been admitted onto a ward I've been under a consultant I didn't know, even though my consultant had patients on the same ward, but the suites know best, its not their lives they're playing with it ours
Old 28-07-2008, 11:17   #97
God Member

Quote:

I think its important to get proper medical information before making up ones mind. Therefore I'm grateful of you for highlighting that. I've done a bit of my own research into it too so will be making a post shortly.
Old 28-07-2008, 11:27   #98
God Member

It may well be cheaper economicaly to have one large site, but if it doesn't fulfil the purpose of good patient care then it shouldn't have happened and the decision should be reversed.

Big is not beautiful - I have only visited the place a handful of times and the layout is so vast that a long walk is needed when you get in - (not all of us are up to it) - the staff must waste time too just walking from one part of the place to another.

It is proving to be a big white elephant

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:28   #99
God Member

Quote:

I find it very disturbing that a senior doctor is expressing concerns. He is actually confirming what has already been said by members about the lack of cleanliness and overworked staff. Hardly makes for inspiring reading and I really feel for people who are due to go into hospital. It is bad enough having to worry about operations and suchlike without the added worry services not being adequate!!
Old 28-07-2008, 11:34   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I think its important to get proper medical information before making up ones mind. Therefore I'm grateful of you for highlighting that. I've done a bit of my own research into it too so will be making a post shortly.
jolly decent of you, meanwhile i assume its irelavent if some poor sod dies,while people like you are waiting fer research n further info.
Old 28-07-2008, 11:45   #101
God Member

Quote:
jolly decent of you, meanwhile i assume its irelavent if some poor sod dies,while people like you are waiting fer research n further info.
It's absolutely ridiculous to think that I should make my mind up without actually getting an informed view on things.

If I was going to find the cheapest washing machine, I'd look at the prices, I'd make an informed choice. I wouldn't just say 'That looks the cheapest', I'll have that because whilist it looks the cheapest option. The information provided on the price label is going to give me a much more accurate clue.

What is more absurd is that you keep making silly comments that infer I don't care if people die. Really cashman, how ill thought out? Does it not occur to you that there is more than one option and without basing it on any facts or medical opinion you could well be wrong - am I meant to assume it's irelavent if some poor sod dies because you decided not to look at new information coming to light now that the hospitals have been merged?

Last edited by andrewb; 28-07-2008 at 11:48.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:52   #102
God Member

Quote:
'That looks the cheapest', I'll have that because it looks the cheapest option.
It seems that is precicely what was done by this merger

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 13:04   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It's absolutely ridiculous to think that I should make my mind up without actually getting an informed view on things.

If I was going to find the cheapest washing machine, I'd look at the prices, I'd make an informed choice. I wouldn't just say 'That looks the cheapest', I'll have that because whilist it looks the cheapest option. The information provided on the price label is going to give me a much more accurate clue.

What is more absurd is that you keep making silly comments that infer I don't care if people die. Really cashman, how ill thought out? Does it not occur to you that there is more than one option and without basing it on any facts or medical opinion you could well be wrong - am I meant to assume it's irelavent if some poor sod dies because you decided not to look at new information coming to light now that the hospitals have been merged?
you may think its ridiculous, i think its fact! ya don't need further info to know that the likely outcome is some poor ****** dying, ya need common sense n you obviously have a deficit.
Old 28-07-2008, 14:47   #104
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Have your say

In days of old the motor manufacturing industry had huge warehouses full of parts for the cars being made. This was costing them a fortune so someone invented the “just in time system”. This is where the various parts arrived for use no more than a few hours or so before being needed. It seems to work well. Nobody on the production line was waiting for a part to assemble and huge warehouses were no longer needed.

But it also looks like the NHS has also been forced to adopt a similar scheme for patients.

Once upon a time most wards had a couple of spare beds all the time, that were being kept empty for emergencies from A & E. In fact I’ve been in wards, either as a patient or visiting someone, where half the ward was empty. Then someone had a bright idea. “Lets put all the spare and empty beds into one or two wards then we can close them down and save money by getting rid of some staff.” They failed to voice the bit about leaving more of the budget to pay the managers more.

Thus we now have a “just in time system” where no sooner has a bed been vacated it is filled by a new patient, usually from A & E after waiting for several hours on a trolley. Indeed there have been occasions where the situation was so critical that patients were sent home before their clinical time, just to vacate a bed. This also meant that there was no time to disinfect the bed, locker and surrounds properly before a new body is admitted.

My last visit to the A & E at BRI saw me spend nigh on 24 hours on a trolley in A & E, a good portion of the time in the corridor before a cubicle became available. The cubicle became empty just in time to admit me. No food or drink except a cup of luke warm water, until a sympathetic nurse made me a cup of cup-of-soup, which I suspect was for her lunch, to quell the rumbling noises coming from a starving stomach, that could be heard for miles around. A bed was eventually found for me but at Queens Park.

My point is, that as someone else has already mentioned, bigger is not necessarily better. Have the bean counters never heard of “Never put all your eggs in one basket”?

Could it be that some years down the line it will become easier to privatise one large hospital rather than two or three smaller ones? Think about it!
Old 28-07-2008, 16:31   #105
Resting in Peace

The thing is JB that if the bean counters save lots of money by having one big hospital to serve both the blackburn and burnley areas, then it leaves more money for their huge yearly pay increases, otherwise known as performance related bonuses, and a slap on the back from Incapability Browne, has he is now called on other web sites, which to me is quite apt really

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..