Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 13:12   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: Have your say

I know at one time, they used to hand out a questionnaire about your stay in hospital to all patients on entry. I am going back about 10/12 years though Bernie, when my daughter worked on the wards. Used to really naff her off, as they used to complain about the tiniest of things, like 'got my tea and was going cold'. This was one my daughter received, and she is a hard worker; problem was every complaint, no matter how small had to be addressed. Looks like they realised this and that is possibly why they now do a random postal one.

As to the doctor complaining straight to the press, feel that any employer, in any sector, wouldn't be too pleased if an employee did this.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2008, 13:14   #137
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
seems that way to me, after all that must surely be one of the most important sources, and it is being supressed. please show me your opposition to this fact n i will retract.
If the management ignore the staff or union representatives then yes of course they should be allowed to then go elsewhere if what they are saying is truthful. We however must not allow a moment of hysteria to come about where staff are not informing their management, instead going to the papers.

Last edited by andrewb; 03-08-2008 at 13:16.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 13:16   #138
God Member

Yes can see where you are coming from with some folk who would complain just for the sake of it Kate, was just an idea. What really gets me is the staff do work hard and I would never dispute that but the hospital is desperately understaffed. This issue needs redressing urgently for the patients welfare and the staff morale
Old 03-08-2008, 13:45   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
If the management ignore the staff or union representatives then yes of course they should be allowed to then go elsewhere if what they are saying is truthful. We however must not allow a moment of hysteria to come about where staff are not informing their management, instead going to the papers.
i am not refering to that and you know it, i am refering to staff being given warnings fer giving honest opinions n therefore are now afraid to give them, you have avoided that n not very skilfully. i have no real beef at this point about the newspaper article, cos i aint sure of the facts, the other thing i am damn sure of.
Old 03-08-2008, 14:09   #140
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i am not refering to that and you know it, i am refering to staff being given warnings fer giving honest opinions n therefore are now afraid to give them, you have avoided that n not very skilfully. i have no real beef at this point about the newspaper article, cos i aint sure of the facts, the other thing i am damn sure of.
No I didn't know it, but thank-you for second guessing me.

So you're saying they're getting given warnings for giving honest opinions, to whom?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I know at one time, they used to hand out a questionnaire about your stay in hospital to all patients on entry. I am going back about 10/12 years though Bernie, when my daughter worked on the wards. Used to really naff her off, as they used to complain about the tiniest of things, like 'got my tea and was going cold'. This was one my daughter received, and she is a hard worker; problem was every complaint, no matter how small had to be addressed. Looks like they realised this and that is possibly why they now do a random postal one.

As to the doctor complaining straight to the press, feel that any employer, in any sector, wouldn't be too pleased if an employee did this.
I can remember when they had these questionaire on every ward, which were, as you said kate, a waste of time. I've only been an inpatient twice in later years, once very recently and once in 2002, when I did get a patient questionaire after arriving home. I actually think its esental the patient concerns are taken into account. When your laod in an hospital bed, the only thing here is to look forward to is meal times and visitors, on my laast stay an old chap, he was about 83, didn't get many visitors because his home was the other side of Colne and his wife couldn't get there unless someone brought her, which was very depressing for them both and did nothing to aid his recovery. If he'd have been in a Burnley hospital they may have had a chance, but all the way to Blackburn was just to much
Old 11-08-2008, 21:38   #142
God Member

Report in tonights Telegraph that the hospitals are quite often running on "Red Alert", apparently there are various ways of coding it and if on red seems there are bed shortages. Not sending very good signals to the public when ops are being cancelled and people being sent home to early.
Old 11-08-2008, 21:46   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Report in tonights Telegraph that the hospitals are quite often running on "Red Alert", apparently there are various ways of coding it and if on red seems there are bed shortages. Not sending very good signals to the public when ops are being cancelled and people being sent home to early.
This report and the leaks from staff to the press don't exactly fill you with confidence, do they?

It's a poor do for anyone who's got to go in....they must be scared witless.
Old 11-08-2008, 22:04   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
This report and the leaks from staff to the press don't exactly fill you with confidence, do they?

No they don't inspire confidence at all, it was stated when they moved A&E to Blackburn that it would speed up waiting times for ops. Now this report is saying ops are being cancelled because of bed shortages It also makes you wonder what would happen if there were any really bad multiple injuries due to an accident, if there is a shortage of beds now where would they put injured people?? Might sound a bit pessimistic but with motorways all round could very well happen
Old 11-08-2008, 22:07   #145
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

i'm going in burnley next week, aint bothered, but it sure as hell mystifies me.
Old 11-08-2008, 22:08   #146
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
No they don't inspire confidence at all, it was stated when they moved A&E to Blackburn that it would speed up waiting times for ops. Now this report is saying ops are being cancelled because of bed shortages It also makes you wonder what would happen if there were any really bad multiple injuries due to an accident, if there is a shortage of beds now where would they put injured people?? Might sound a bit pessimistic but with motorways all round could very well happen
Hmmm, that's what tonight's report said, isn't it? I dread to think what would happen if we had a big accident or epidemic.

I don't know....they said that only certain wards were on red alert not the whole hospital but you don't know what to believe.

Staff seem to be saying one thing and the management another.

I'm inclined to believe the staff myself.
Old 11-08-2008, 22:10   #147
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hmmm, that's what tonight's report said, isn't it? I dread to think what would happen if we had a big accident or epidemic.

I don't know....they said that only certain wards were on red alert not the whole hospital but you don't know what to believe.

Staff seem to be saying one thing and the management another.

I'm inclined to believe the staff myself.
yeh got that right Lilly,those i know are as straight as dies.
Old 11-08-2008, 22:16   #148
God Member

There are bed shortages because beds are saved for precisely that reason Bernadette. Its not because of the move however, they have always been short of beds in recent years. During the move wards were closed as they moved elsewhere. In my opinion this was an error, as an expansion could have taken place. They should be reopened as new wards to tackle the problem that existed then and still exists now.

Last edited by andrewb; 11-08-2008 at 22:19.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 22:20   #149
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
There are bed shortages because beds are saved for precisely that reason Bernadette. Its not because of the move however, they have always been short of beds in recent years. During the move wards were closed as they moved elsewhere. In my opinion this was an error, as an expansion could have taken place. They should be reopened open as new wards if we have bed shortages.
The point is we were told that the move would eradicate the need for cancelling operations as emergencies would be treated on one site and non-emergiencies on the other. As we are still having cancelled operations the move has failed to deliver. I don't care how you try and wrap it up that is what is happening!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 22:21   #150
God Member

What really baffles me is where all the money is going. Why are they having to merge hospitals? Why can't they afford to keep the two? Why is there no doctor on wards in Pendle at nights?

We are told this government has pumped billions and billions and billions of pounds into the NHS. Figures are fired off by Mr Brown, about how many new nurses, how many new doctors we have. Where the heck is it all? Everyone I spoke to said the place was better 10 years ago.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..