Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2009, 11:45   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Protests at returning troops Parade

Kate, I think it might have something to do with the interpretation of the law and maybe a little to do with the fact that the police don't want complaints that they are 'racist' levelled at them.
I agree with Jaysay. I also think that the people bearing placards which proclaimed the regiment to be 'the butchers of Basra' is an act of inciting racial hatred and should have been dealt with as such.
One of the protesters also made the allegation that the soldiers raped and killed women and children. Where is his proof of that? Has he got any proof?

The good news is that the chap who worked airside as a baggage handler has had his airside pass revoked and is subject to an investigation by his employers.....who were keen to point out that he was only ever a part-time employee.......five minutes airside is enough to do great damage if he wanted.....isn't it?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2009, 13:59   #77
Senior Member+

What a sloppy piece of journalism in the Lancashire Telegraph. It used quotes from me that paint the opposite to what I believe.

The British Right to Protest and Loony Extremist Muslims in Luton.

1) Muslims in Luton demonstrating should be charged with incitement to cause hatred. Home Secretary Jackie Smith is right.

2) They should never have been allowed by the Police anywhere near armed forces personnel. This was not protest but hatred and incitement to violence.

People in general have a right to protest. That is what we are defending, freedom. However not there and not the way they did. I don't know why they want to live here if that's their view, and as for the hate preacher on benefits, that needs addressing immediately.

Last edited by g jones; 16-03-2009 at 14:04.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 14:15   #78
Give, give, give member

'He (Anjem Choudary) has previously made no secret of his demands that the country be placed under sharia - Islamic law. This would mean all women would have to wear veils, adulterers would be stoned to death and drunks whipped in public.

Firebrand risks jail in call for jihad cash - Times Online

It disgusts me that people like this 'preacher' make use of this country's democratic right to free speach, and use it to try and take away the rights of those they disagree with.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 14:21   #79
Beacon of light

It is interesting to note that this man was pictured in the paper this weekend quaffing beer and Lager(this was when he was a young and foolish student)......he says that the pictures are fabricated.

Was he following the tenets of Islam when he was pictured drinking alcohol?

It seems to me that we are far to soft on these people. I am not talking about all Muslims....just the ones who hate us vehemently, but will hold out their hands to take any benefit that is going....they don't hate us then do they?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 14:35   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

It seems to me that we are far to soft on these people. I am not talking about all Muslims....just the ones who hate us vehemently, but will hold out their hands to take any benefit that is going....they don't hate us then do they?
'The jobless Brit-born lawyer, a father of three, lives off Ł25,000-a-year state handouts.'

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Hate preacher: I've found god

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 15:48   #81
Resting in Peace

Reckon the Telegraph owe you an apology on that one Graham :

Armed forces celebration parade for Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 16:12   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Reckon the Telegraph owe you an apology on that one Graham :

Armed forces celebration parade for Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)
I've read this report and it doesn't seem that Graham has said anything untoward, unless its been edited that is
Old 16-03-2009, 16:24   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've read this report and it doesn't seem that Graham has said anything untoward, unless its been edited that is
It's the way the sentence was put together Jaysay. Almost made it look like an invitation to come and protest, which I am sure is not quite what he said.
Old 16-03-2009, 16:44   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's the way the sentence was put together Jaysay. Almost made it look like an invitation to come and protest, which I am sure is not quite what he said.
Kate take a look at your link again think they must have edited because it doesn't seem to mention Graham saying anything about protest's
Old 16-03-2009, 16:47   #85
Resting in Peace

This is the bit I meant :-

Coun Graham Jones, leader of the Labour party, said: “These things are very close to home.
"The death of Private Jason Rawstron from Clayton-le-Moors, for example, but it is important that people have the right to protest if they want to.”
Old 16-03-2009, 17:57   #86
God Member

Well all I can say is good on Accrington.
If Im reading it right it does actually look as though g jones is saying he thinks its ok to protest no matter what although I know he isnt but I can see how it could be interpreted
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 18:02   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Quote:
It was edited poorly and bits chopped out taking it all out of context of you read it one way.

It's tough balancing people who potentially will stir up violence (The Luton Muslims) and on the other side, someone with a strong one sided opinion that is emotive but doesn't directly pose a threat of violence (Wim Gilders Dutch MP recently).

Lord Haw Haw, a New Yorker, was executed for Nazi propaganda by the Allies. That was treason though but where does treason start and end?

Churchill's view that "I may disagree with what you say but I'll defend you're right to say it" seems a good philosophical starting point however...

It's politicians that make policies, not soldiers. There were soldiers partners and children there. People who had risked their lives (outside of politics) and who deserved personal privacy regardless. These Muslim extremists were callous in what they did when they did.

Last edited by g jones; 16-03-2009 at 18:05.
Old 16-03-2009, 18:19   #88
Senior Member+

BTW has anyone viewed the film Fitna and what do they think?
Old 16-03-2009, 18:25   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
What a sloppy piece of journalism in the Lancashire Telegraph. It used quotes from me that paint the opposite to what I believe.

The British Right to Protest and Loony Extremist Muslims in Luton.

1) Muslims in Luton demonstrating should be charged with incitement to cause hatred. Home Secretary Jackie Smith is right.

2) They should never have been allowed by the Police anywhere near armed forces personnel. This was not protest but hatred and incitement to violence.

People in general have a right to protest. That is what we are defending, freedom. However not there and not the way they did. I don't know why they want to live here if that's their view, and as for the hate preacher on benefits, that needs addressing immediately.
Quite right, so why isn't Jacqui Smith doing something about it? Why aren't the government looking at ways of introducing legislation to make abuse of our armed forces a hate crime?
Old 16-03-2009, 18:33   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
BTW has anyone viewed the film Fitna and what do they think?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Churchill's view that "I may disagree with what you say but I'll defend you're right to say it" seems a good philosophical starting point however..
Your quote from Churchill answers what I think.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..