Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2009, 18:56   #91
God Member

Re: Protests at returning troops Parade

Mr. Jones, you've complained about the inaccuracy of the 'Telegraph' report but what have you done to Winston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Churchill's view that "I may disagree with what you say but I'll defend you're right to say it" seems a good philosophical starting point however...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford Dictionary
your with you're; you're is a contraction of you are, while your is a possessive determiner used in phrases such as your turn.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2009, 03:56   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is the bit I meant :-

Coun Graham Jones, leader of the Labour party, said: “These things are very close to home.
"The death of Private Jason Rawstron from Clayton-le-Moors, for example, but it is important that people have the right to protest if they want to.”
Kate I've clicked on the link again, I know its early for me at 4-55am, but just like when I posted yesterday afternoon the part about "protesting if they want to" is not there, it must have been edited. Not getting a LT and only reading it on line, doesn't give me a look at he original story, but they can't unprint papers. In my dealings with the media I always kept a hard copy of what I wrote, if dealing over the phone I taped my phone calls, helps to iron out mistakes under editorial licence if need be

Last edited by jaysay; 17-03-2009 at 04:02.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 04:19   #93
Resting in Peace

I'll hold my hand up, it is there Kate, I just read Grahams first comment about being close to home, I must pay more attention, but I think that Cllr Jones must have used the words edited or not, maybe it could have been better not giving the press a line on the matter that could be edited in a way to make him sound bad, hey but who am I to tell the great orator how to make comments, we all know, as we've been told numerous times, that he's perfect and is Gods gift to the world, maybe in much the same way that Gordon keeps harping on, must be a trait with New Labour, many a slip is made between the cup and lip
Old 17-03-2009, 04:30   #94
God Member

Could be Jaysay..just like the "slip" that Tory Maggie had when she danced with Mugabe at a lavish dinner held in his honor in Zimbabwe.. no comparison..but you start posting propaganda I will cane you!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:31   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
It was edited poorly and bits chopped out taking it all out of context of you read it one way.

It's tough balancing people who potentially will stir up violence (The Luton Muslims) and on the other side, someone with a strong one sided opinion that is emotive but doesn't directly pose a threat of violence (Wim Gilders Dutch MP recently).

Lord Haw Haw, a New Yorker, was executed for Nazi propaganda by the Allies. That was treason though but where does treason start and end?

Churchill's view that "I may disagree with what you say but I'll defend you're right to say it" seems a good philosophical starting point however...

It's politicians that make policies, not soldiers. There were soldiers partners and children there. People who had risked their lives (outside of politics) and who deserved personal privacy regardless. These Muslim extremists were callous in what they did when they did.
Think it also depends on what you construe as inciting violence. Granted, the things they were shouting and the placeards that were displayed were definitely acts of incitement, but surely their presence at this event was doing that also??? Out of respect for our lads and lasses that have served their country, we shouldnt have allowed these 'people' any where near the homecoming parade. Protests should be aimed at the right people, ie the government, not our troops coming home to their families
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 07:04   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Think it also depends on what you construe as inciting violence. Granted, the things they were shouting and the placeards that were displayed were definitely acts of incitement, but surely their presence at this event was doing that also??? Out of respect for our lads and lasses that have served their country, we shouldnt have allowed these 'people' any where near the homecoming parade. Protests should be aimed at the right people, ie the government, not our troops coming home to their families
lets fill it in ..there is a conflict of wether any people should have the right to express and shout out whatever they want.. yes they should have that right.. we do have laws in this country stating that anyone inciting or even threatening any kind of violence can be charged ..convicted and sentenced.
Old 17-03-2009, 07:31   #97
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
lets fill it in ..there is a conflict of wether any people should have the right to express and shout out whatever they want.. yes they should have that right..
So if there was some kind of Islamic procession and you had right-wing extremists holding up placards that were blasphemous towards their religion, that would be OK then? Their feet wouldn't touch and quite rightly so. Exactly, the same situation here...these idiots were deliberately trying to stir up trouble by offending people.

As onlyme says, if they want to protest against the war, they should be protesting against the government, not abusing returning servicemen.
Old 17-03-2009, 07:56   #98
God Member

eh? I do recall the National Front marching in Blackburn.. massive stuff and even had a rally.. those people did not care where you came from nor religion or politics...they where concerned about colour.. times were hard in the 70's and the same ****e was churned out .. some older people should remember what it was like.. but i't's a shame the people that recall those times have now turned racist.
Old 17-03-2009, 08:04   #99
Super Moderator

Quote:
eh? I do recall the National Front marching in Blackburn.. massive stuff and even had a rally.. those people did not care where you came from nor religion or politics...they where concerned about colour.. times were hard in the 70's and the same ****e was churned out .. some older people should remember what it was like.. but i't's a shame the people that recall those times have now turned racist.
Yes, I remember those times, Mancie. I was there to protest when they marched through Accy. And it's a shame that those who think it's quite permissible to see our returning troops abused by those who wish to stir up trouble like to label those who disagree with them "racist".
Old 17-03-2009, 08:18   #100
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Protests should be aimed at the right people, ie the government, not our troops coming home to their families
Protests are usually held at where they will get the best media coverage. No point protesting outside No 10 if no one else is there but the PM to see it.

They got massive media coverage for the protest. It did however backfire for them and has done a lot of good for the soldiers. Look at the turn out at the home coming parade after that one.

I can't help wondering who planned the protest and what the real intentions were

It certainly did nothing to change public opinion against our troops being over there.
Old 17-03-2009, 08:22   #101
God Member

there's around ten to a dozen ranting and showing bad **** on placards...and we all get wound up... worse things have happend..they should be rounded up and charged and it probably will happen..people choose to forget the mass protests and murders that the IRA carried out..and the mass support they had... one law for the pakis another for the paddy's ?
Old 17-03-2009, 08:23   #102
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
There is a difference between colour prejudiced, racist and religionist. I think many people are now religionist but use racist and colour prejudiced comments to describe the people they dislike just because they are used to hearing the words.

I don't dislike people for their colour, race or even religion. I dislike people for who they are. I have met people of all races, colours and religions, I like or dislike them for who they are, what they do and how they do it.

Last edited by Neil; 17-03-2009 at 08:25.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 08:31   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There is a difference between colour prejudiced, racist and religionist. I think many people are now religionist but use racist and colour prejudiced comments to describe the people they dislike just because they are used to hearing the words.
well I would agree with that Neil...and I'd say that some bods on here don't know the difference.. but then they ain't thick or stupid so I reckon they like to talk about colour to stir ****.
Old 17-03-2009, 09:46   #104
Super Moderator

Quote:
well I would agree with that Neil...and I'd say that some bods on here don't know the difference.. but then they ain't thick or stupid so I reckon they like to talk about colour to stir ****.
Never mentioned colour, never mentioned race. Just pointing out that what this lot did is unacceptable and the government should now be looking at either introducing or amending legislation to stop this sort of thing happening again.
Old 17-03-2009, 10:19   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Hundreds of thousands took to the streets to protest against us invading Iraq. I didn't protest, but totally opposed this war, which was sold as a lie about weapons of mass destruction, when really it was about securing a stable base amongst the oil fieds of the Middle East. However I totally support the the troops who are living and dying out there, and wouldn't dream at protesting at the home coming parade of the ones lucky enough to return.

If anyone doesn't like living in this country they are free to move elsewhere. I'm sure quite a few people would glady wave 'em off.

Frankly I'd be more than impressed if they gave up any benefits this country might afford them, child benefit, education, health care etc etc, but sadly I can't see them doing that, for they seem more than happy with that part of living in Britain.
This is the first post from you that I have come across that you have not defended Muslims behaviour in Britain.Maybe now Doris or is it Noris that you are seeing sense
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..