Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 15:21   #46
I am Banned

Re: Protests at returning troops Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Bout time we stood up and let ourselves be counted. It seems that our cowardly government have long treated the muslims like some sort of protected species, much to the detriment of the long suffering public who are seeing their own rights eroded on a daily basis.
Yes and if they carry on Big Ben will be removed, and it will have a big golden dome on it, and speakers yeodeling the faithful, and York Minster will become the biggest mosque in the British Isles.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2009, 15:25   #47
I am Banned

a

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-03-2009 at 15:27.
Old 11-03-2009, 15:25   #48
God Member

During the 2nd World War persons with family in, or showing sympathy with, the country we were at war with, were compelled to live in camps.

I see similarities here to the present situation.
The Isle of Man could not be used this time but there are still large expanses of uninhabited land in Scotland and Cornwall

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 15:26   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
If we make the assumption that this is the case they should comply with the rule of law of the country. Without Fear or Favour.
Exactly, that is why the protesters with placards that could be classed as inciting violence should have been arrested.
Old 11-03-2009, 15:31   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
During the 2nd World War persons with family in, or showing sympathy with, the country we were at war with, were compelled to live in camps.

I see similarities here to the present situation.
The Isle of Man could not be used this time but there are still large expanses of uninhabited land in Scotland and Cornwall
I can think of better places, like some of the more remote uninhabited islands in the Orkneys.
Then they can please theirselves what the do, but no benefits, self suffiencey or perish.
Old 11-03-2009, 15:56   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is a very prejudiced comment as some of the protesters interviewed on TV were obviously born here and lived here all their lives.
If they were born and bred in this country then they are arguably guilty of treason, which still carries the death penalty

Last edited by jaysay; 11-03-2009 at 16:00.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 16:04   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I can think of better places, like some of the more remote uninhabited islands in the Orkneys.
Then they can please theirselves what the do, but no benefits, self suffiencey or perish.
Georgia is an uninhabited island around the Falkland Isle Retlaw, and its far enough as well
Old 11-03-2009, 17:20   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If they were born and bred in this country then they are arguably guilty of treason, which still carries the death penalty
Yep, thats what i was going to say. I must admit my blood was at boiling point watching those Scum. I'm another who was not a supporter of the War in Iraq, or indeed of the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan. This war is never going to be won in the way in which we are choosing to fight it. We are just sending our troops into an unwinable situation, and constantly putting needless lives at risk, as well as throwing billions of pounds down the drain. I'm sure a lot of our Soldiers dont agree with these conflicts either, however they realise this when they sign up and represent our country with great dignity and bravery. Its partly because of them that we can live in a country where we can voice a reasoned opinion without fear of torture or worse. These Muslim extreamists are insulting the heart of the British nation by the obvious venom of their protest. Again the Police chose not to act for fear of being branded racist. This appeasement of Ethnic minority groups at the expense of the majority really needs to be addressed urgently. Maybe there are times when we are just Too tolerant in this country. Others can take great advantage of that at times. Hopefully this proves to be an isolated thing, but unfortunatly it probably wont. I really can feel that there could be civil unrest in this Country the way things are going. Particularily now we are living in more austere times too. If people really think that living in a multicultural environment is desirable/beneficial then theres no place for allowing such a radical element of bigots to pedal their inflamatory thoughts. Surely some of their comments would be classed as incitement to Hate or violence? Our Police and Government need to take strong action against this, and be supported by all sectors of the community in doing so. Otherwise we may as well accept now that Multiculteralism like Communism sounds like a good idea....but it just dont work!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 17:28   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If they feel like they do....then whether it is the country they were born in or not....it isn't their country.
They aren't showing prejudice are they????????
I do not call it prejudice...I call it patriotism.......I call it support for the lads and lasses who in the line of duty, put their lives on the line in a war that the majority of us seem not to have been in support of.
I call it justified.
Agree 100% ... support for the troops and support for the war are seperate issues .... In Canada, support for the war is at an all time low; but support for the troops is very strong ... there is no contradiction in this. In Quebec, only about 20% of those polled support the war; yet, when the Royal 22nd (a francophone regiment) was deployed to Afghanistan, Quebecois in their thousands turned out in Quebec City to wish them well ...

And there is nothing wrong with patriotism ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 18:17   #55
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I often remind people of that fact
Old 11-03-2009, 18:30   #56
Beacon of light

It doesn't seem to be used thought does it. I would have thought that the people who copied the 7th of July bombers were gulity of Treason.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 18:58   #57
God Member

Quote:
Sorry John..got to pick up on that:

The penalty for treason was changed from death to a maximum of imprisonment for life in 1998 under the Crime And Disorder Act. Before 1998, the death penalty was mandatory, subject to the royal prerogative of mercy. Since the abolition of the death penalty for murder in 1965 an execution for treason was unlikely to be carried out.
Treason laws were used against Irish insurgents before Irish independence. However, IRA and other republican guerrillas were not prosecuted or executed for treason for levying war against the British government during the Troubles. They, along with loyalist militants, were jailed for murder, violent crimes or terrorist offences.
William Joyce was the last person to be put to death for treason, in 1946. (On the following day Theodore Schurch was executed for treachery, a similar crime, and was the last man to be executed for a crime other than murder in the UK.)
As to who can commit treason, it depends on the ancient notion of allegiance. As such, all British nationals (but not other Commonwealth citizens) owe allegiance to the Queen in right of the United Kingdom wherever they may be, as do Commonwealth citizens and aliens present in the United Kingdom at the time of the treasonable act (except diplomats and foreign invading forces), those who hold a British passport however obtained, and aliens who - having lived in Britain and gone abroad again - have left behind family and belongings.

This from Wilkpedia.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 19:19   #58
God Member

The placard bearers should have been removed immediately, and arrested for inciting racial hatred and violence, then locked up for a long spell, I am quite sure that, had I been there, I would have been arrested and locked up for my reaction to these scum.
Old 11-03-2009, 19:34   #59
Beacon of light

The difference there Derek is your ethnic origin.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 19:35   #60
God Member

Were we at RAF Northolt when "Our Lad" come home
If any of us had been there with placards we would have been arrested, no doubt about it

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..