Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2012, 23:24   #1096
God Member

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
This subject has been exhausted on here. If you want to change the law regarding drugs, see your MP.
Well said-I'm fed up too!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2012, 06:43   #1097
Beacon of light

I have left this thread a few times, but have been enticed back by questions that you and others have asked....not that you really want to know the answers to these, as you have already decided on your entrenched position.

Oh and by the way, if you must refer to me, please do me the courtesy of using my proper name. To you, I am Margaret Pilkington(not Maggie P), until I let you know otherwise.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 07:18   #1098
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
They are repeating the same argument over and over again also! Thank you very much!

Does cannabis make you mad? Does Cannabis Make You Mad? | CLEAR

Conclusion: Cannabis And Mental Health, The Case For Reform

Concerns of a link between cannabis and mental illness areperhaps the strongest argument for cannabis law reform.
Bear in mind that Clear are a a pressure group working to reform the law.
For the other side,

Cannabis: key facts from the Royal College of Psychiatrists

For many of us, cannabis is a way to relax – 2 million people in the UK smoke it and half of all 16 to 29-year-olds have tried it. But research suggests that it can cause problems in some vulnerable people.

… How does cannabis work?

When smoked, cannabis from the lungs goes into the blood and is carried to every part of the body. Several chemicals in cannabis bind to receptors in areas of the brain that deal with pleasure, memory, thought, concentration and the awareness of time. There are two main kinds of chemical involved:
a group called the cannabinoids, which seem to give you the more pleasant effects – feeling relaxed, happy, sleepy, with colours appearing more vivid and music sounding better
THC, which seems to produce hallucinations, anxiety and paranoia.
These feelings don’t usually last long – although as the drug can stay in the system for some weeks, subtle effects can last a few days. Long-term use can make you depressed and less motivated.

… What is the risk to mental health?

Depression
1600 Australian children aged 14 to 15 years were studied for 7 years; the ones who used cannabis every day were five times more likely to become depressed and anxious by the end of the study.
Schizophrenia
If you start smoking cannabis before the age of 15 years, you are four times more likely to develop a psychotic illness. The more cannabis you use, the more likely you are to develop psychosis. It isn’t clear why cannabis use in adolescence seems to have such an effect, but it may be because the brain is still developing.

… Is there such a thing as ‘cannabis psychosis’?

Some people seem to get a short period of psychosis that is brought on by cannabis but which
stops soon after the cannabis is stopped.

… If it’s so dangerous, why don’t more of my friends get unwell?

Probably because most people don’t use cannabis before they are 15 and don’t go on smoking large amounts. Psychotic illness is quite unusual anyway – only about 1 in 200 people have it at any given time. Most of us probably don’t know that many people, so even if cannabis does increase the risk, you aren’t likely to notice an ‘epidemic’ among the people you know.

… What about other effects?

Education
The connection isn’t clear, but regular cannabis use does seem to affect how you do at school or college.

Employment
Cannabis users are more likely to leave work without permission, spend work time on personal matters or daydream. Regular users report that it has interfered with their work and social life.
Driving
A recent study in France showed that cannabis users are more than twice as likely to be the cause of a fatal crash than to be one of the victims.

… Is cannabis addictive?

Cannabis has some of the features of addictive drugs – a regular user has to take more and more to get the same effect (tolerance) and can get withdrawal symptoms.
Three out of four long-term users get cravings, half become irritable and seven out of ten switch to tobacco to try to stay off cannabis. Many find that they spend much of their life seeking, buying and using it. It is probably about as hard to stop as tobacco.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 07:25   #1099
JFT96

Of course if you really really need drugs:

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 08:12   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Bear in mind that Clear are a a pressure group working to reform the law.
For the other side,

Cannabis: key facts from the Royal College of Psychiatrists

For many of us, cannabis is a way to relax – 2 million people in the UK smoke it and half of all 16 to 29-year-olds have tried it. But research suggests that it can cause problems in some vulnerable people.

… How does cannabis work?

When smoked, cannabis from the lungs goes into the blood and is carried to every part of the body. Several chemicals in cannabis bind to receptors in areas of the brain that deal with pleasure, memory, thought, concentration and the awareness of time. There are two main kinds of chemical involved:
a group called the cannabinoids, which seem to give you the more pleasant effects – feeling relaxed, happy, sleepy, with colours appearing more vivid and music sounding better
THC, which seems to produce hallucinations, anxiety and paranoia.
These feelings don’t usually last long – although as the drug can stay in the system for some weeks, subtle effects can last a few days. Long-term use can make you depressed and less motivated.

… What is the risk to mental health?

Depression
1600 Australian children aged 14 to 15 years were studied for 7 years; the ones who used cannabis every day were five times more likely to become depressed and anxious by the end of the study.
Schizophrenia
If you start smoking cannabis before the age of 15 years, you are four times more likely to develop a psychotic illness. The more cannabis you use, the more likely you are to develop psychosis. It isn’t clear why cannabis use in adolescence seems to have such an effect, but it may be because the brain is still developing.

… Is there such a thing as ‘cannabis psychosis’?

Some people seem to get a short period of psychosis that is brought on by cannabis but which
stops soon after the cannabis is stopped.

… If it’s so dangerous, why don’t more of my friends get unwell?

Probably because most people don’t use cannabis before they are 15 and don’t go on smoking large amounts. Psychotic illness is quite unusual anyway – only about 1 in 200 people have it at any given time. Most of us probably don’t know that many people, so even if cannabis does increase the risk, you aren’t likely to notice an ‘epidemic’ among the people you know.

… What about other effects?

Education
The connection isn’t clear, but regular cannabis use does seem to affect how you do at school or college.

Employment
Cannabis users are more likely to leave work without permission, spend work time on personal matters or daydream. Regular users report that it has interfered with their work and social life.
Driving
A recent study in France showed that cannabis users are more than twice as likely to be the cause of a fatal crash than to be one of the victims.

… Is cannabis addictive?

Cannabis has some of the features of addictive drugs – a regular user has to take more and more to get the same effect (tolerance) and can get withdrawal symptoms.
Three out of four long-term users get cravings, half become irritable and seven out of ten switch to tobacco to try to stay off cannabis. Many find that they spend much of their life seeking, buying and using it. It is probably about as hard to stop as tobacco.
Now copy & past something regarding alcohol & let see which is the most dangerous!

ZERO deaths from cannabis! .. how many from alcohol! ??

I know people who have smoked it for years , & go about there everyday business no problem , no side effects no naff all
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 08:29   #1101

If you google 'Arguments against legalising drugs' there are just as many websites to support the argument against as there are in favour - which just goes to show that you can find anything to support whatever argument you need to online.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 08:37   #1102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
But isn't there worse crimes that go without a custodial sentence the extra room could be used for?

Not that I would take coke or heroin, but it would of not been touched as it would be sealed, IMO the big shipments would come in via different methods.

I agree for certain crimes tent city would be a good option, keeping the cost down to the tax payer.

Do you know if you had an argument with the other half and went to sleep in the car with the keys in the vehicle, if you where drunk and the police arrived, you could and probably would be done for drunk and in charge of a vehicle.

Or morning after the night before, you think you fine but your just over the limit.

Do the above deserve a 5 year ban.

The people who don't care, the repeat offender would carry on driving regardless banned or not, licence or not.

Going of BG figure in 2007 - 83,975 people would be banned for 5 years, or life if a second offence, this would have a very big impact on a lot of lives.
If you have the care keys in your pocket and sat in the care any seat you deemed to be in charge, it also has a big impact on life when a drunk diver kills a loved one, to me if you kill somebody under the influence of drink its at best manslaughter at worse murder and driving without licence should be a mandatory 5 years in jail for the first offence
Old 15-03-2012, 08:46   #1103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Sorry Margaret

That is too simplistic for me...we are all dealt diferent hands when we come into this world, it just isn't so easy ....

Shake up the balls. everyone wants to play -life is a bit of lottery after all...who knows what it will throw in your direction....
Sorry mobertol, I'm with Margaret on this, its the individual who chose their own lifestyle, nobody forces their arm up their back and makes them start taking drugs.
Old 15-03-2012, 08:52   #1104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sorry mobertol, I'm with Margaret on this, its the individual who chose their own lifestyle, nobody forces their arm up their back and makes them start taking drugs.
Wrong Jaysay this has happened in some cases of prostitution
and less forces me to have a pint on Saturdays in the railway
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:18   #1105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
and less forces me to have a pint on Saturdays in the railway
Ya but mick you don't drive well only Ann round the bend that is
Old 15-03-2012, 09:23   #1106
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
When situations like that happen a criminal offence is being committed against the person.......and different from the use of illegal drugs as a recreational pursuit.

And Dianne, as for my comment being simplistic, I don't think it was.....many people face adversity in their lives.......they are dealt cards that they would not have chosen for themselves.....do they resort to the recreational use of illegal substances? Some may do, but I would think the great majority get their heads down, roll their sleeves up and head into the battle.

That is a huge difference between those people who choose to take drugs for their own pleasure, and then find out that they are hooked. They made that choice.......and as my mother used to tell me 'you made your bed, now you have to lie on it'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:58   #1107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Don't worry dearie , I'll let you know

As to the rest of the debate - am sickened to the heart by this sort of thing and hope "Cavalier Garinda" will turn up on the horizon to sort out the whole "Bluddless!" lot of you...

PS am thinking of using you as a profile-case for my next TEFL courses in "how not to write the Queen's English" -will have them all logging-in to Accyweb and reading your posts...after all it is a public forum...
I dont let things worry me, and Im delighted that you will be using me a your profile case, happen you will all learn something.

Well I never knew it was a public forum, Oh no, what will I do.

Makes me laugh when there is no better argument that the grammer is wrong, you cant write english properly, reading some of your posts, are you on drugs.

Hope your cavalier comes to save the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You asked about legalising illegal drugs in your start of this thread.
The answer came back a resounding no.

So why not accept it and stop your wittering on your question has been answered, so leave it at that, we know you would like to and now, you know we don't want to,

End of story.
Quote:
Thanx Less -am fed up of seeing them wittering on about this too!
Dont read or post in the thred then.

Im fed up with you lot winging, but that what a public forum is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
This subject has been exhausted on here.
Like many other subjects on Accy Web.

Quote:
Well said-I'm fed up too!!
Stop posting in the thred then or are you addicted?

Quote:
If you have the care keys in your pocket and sat in the care any seat you deemed to be in charge, it also has a big impact on life when a drunk diver kills a loved one, to me if you kill somebody under the influence of drink its at best manslaughter at worse murder and driving without licence should be a mandatory 5 years in jail for the first offence
Be carefull Mobertol will be calling the grammer police on to you and you might join me as her next profile case.
Old 15-03-2012, 10:05   #1108
Resting in Peace

While you and your gang keep justifying the use of illegal drugs I'll keep shooting you down
Old 15-03-2012, 11:01   #1109
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

Dont read or post in the thred then.

Im fed up with you lot winging, but that what a public forum is all about.

Well, done, such banal and infintile posts as this prove you to be living in the same primevil swamp as the other pro-legalisers, if you wish to hear only from people with the same views as yourself then it is you that should stop reading and posting, there are plenty of public forums out there feel free to use them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:32   #1110
Senior Member+

Quote:
While you and your gang keep justifying the use of illegal drugs I'll keep shooting you down
I don't think you have shot anyone down with your little one liners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well, done, such banal and infintile posts as this prove you to be living in the same primevil swamp as the other pro-legalisers, if you wish to hear only from people with the same views as yourself then it is you that should stop reading and posting, there are plenty of public forums out there feel free to use them.
But I'm not Pro Legal. Try reading what I have posted previously.

As for your unjustified comment above, again try re-reading the thread, I was only replying to people who are posting saying how rubbish and bored they where.

Happen they should take your advise.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..