Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2021, 21:32   #1846

Re: Corona Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep we have been norway before it is expensive but we love it.
I love Norway (they had the sense not to join the EU) and it isn't so much that it's expensive, it's just that everywhere else is cheap.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2021, 06:48   #1847

I wouldn’t be travelling anywhere right now or in the near future, not because I am scared of getting the virus but because I would not like to have to spend my holiday in quarantine. More than once over here the rules have changed even while people have been in the air traveling from one State to another. When their plane has landed they have been told they have to go into quarantine for 14 days. Just imagine if you are off on a holiday for two weeks and between leaving home and arriving at your destination the situation has changed and you find that you will be spending this in a hotel room (and often at your own expense).

Definitely not worth the risk to my way of thinking of being stranded away from home.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 06:49   #1848

Regarding vaccinations (and again I am writing about here in Australia) anyone under 50 will get the Pfizer jab but over 50 it is the AstraZeneca one. There have been some cases here of blood clots using the latter but over 50’s cannot opt to have an alternative. I consider this a form of discrimination and so as far as I am concerned they know where they can stick that jab.

It’s all a shambles here anyway, places are being prepared as vaccination hubs but the supplies of the vaccine seem to be seriously lacking.

Last edited by dotti34; 13-05-2021 at 06:54.
Old 13-05-2021, 08:45   #1849

Summarising, and questioning, what we have been told so far re the vaccine:

It might or might not prevent a person catching COVID-19.
If a vaccinated person does catch the virus then possibly (but who knows, has this occurred yet to prove it?) they won’t get it as bad.
Even if vaccinated a person can still be contagious. So how safe will it be if vaccinated people, who are actually contagious, mix freely with others?
How will the vaccinated person who is contagious know that they are?
If it is known they are contagious will they have to go into quarantine?
Will this be a vaccine that necessitates yearly jabs (and double doses of it, as at present)?
Does anyone in authority really know what they are talking about or is it a lot of surmising what might, or might not, happen?

I consider these to be reasonable questions and so far I have no confidence in what I have been told about the merits of having the vaccine. The problems that might arise down the track for those vaccinated worries me, and Cashie, please don’t say that you couldn’t care less about such things as I like to think we all do care, you included. I am hoping you will treat this post with respect as I am not being frivolous in asking these questions. They are of real concern to me.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 13-05-2021, 08:51   #1850
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i read a report a couple of weeks back dottie about a chap who had had the virus a few weeks after being jabbed and had got it, and it was a mild version that.ll do for me.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:23   #1851
God Member

if what i heard was correct the new indian variant has been reported in greater manchester. begs the question of how it got there in the first place and has there been cases on the continent of europe. if the answer to the latter is no i,d love to know it got here.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 09:30   #1852
God Member

[QUOTE=dotti34;1253902]Summarising, and questioning, what we have been told so far re the vaccine:

It might or might not prevent a person catching COVID-19.
If a vaccinated person does catch the virus then possibly (but who knows, has this occurred yet to prove it?) they won’t get it as bad.
Even if vaccinated a person can still be contagious. So how safe will it be if vaccinated people, who are actually contagious, mix freely with others?
How will the vaccinated person who is contagious know that they are?
If it is known they are contagious will they have to go into quarantine?
Will this be a vaccine that necessitates yearly jabs (and double doses of it, as at present)?
Does anyone in authority really know what they are talking about or is it a lot of surmising what might, or might not, happen?

I consider these to be reasonable questions and so far I have no confidence in what I have been told about the merits of having the vaccine.

think its people in general who have thought the vaccine to be some sort of magic bullet to end the virus for good. the government never said this from the outset saying you can still get it and still be able to pass it on. its just it should be less serious thats all. for me its something that will replace the yearly flue jab where it will be tweeked yearly as the situation demands.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:54   #1853

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
for me its something that will replace the yearly flue jab where it will be tweeked yearly as the situation demands.

Should that not be :-

for me its something that will like the yearly flue jab will be tweeked yearly as the situation demands.

i.e. Two jabs one for flue and one for corvid
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 10:26   #1854
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
Should that not be :-

for me its something that will like the yearly flue jab will be tweeked yearly as the situation demands.

i.e. Two jabs one for flue and one for corvid
no point having a flu jab as the virus has killed that off.
Old 13-05-2021, 23:43   #1855

We were told right from the start, monkey hanger, that COVID-19 and the flu were caused by different types of viruses, so doubt the COVID virus has killed off the flu, nor will the vaccine for one be effective for the other. Here is the worry then, if people stop having their yearly flu jab thinking that this illness has been eradicated, has been defeated, guess what will be showing its ugly head again in the very near future. Also we must remember that every year the 'make-up' of the flu changes.

Last edited by dotti34; 13-05-2021 at 23:47.
Old 14-05-2021, 00:10   #1856

7 more cases of blood clots here linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, taking the total so far to 18. I know someone will post that this is a small number out of the 1.8 million doses given up to now, but if you were one of those 18 you might think differently. Even though I think most of them are recovering it would still be a scary thing to go through. As we all know, blood clots can (and do) kill.

Also just heard that if the rate vaccinations are being carried out over here continues as is then it could be 2023 before this is completed.
Old 14-05-2021, 08:49   #1857
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
We were told right from the start, monkey hanger, that COVID-19 and the flu were caused by different types of viruses, so doubt the COVID virus has killed off the flu, nor will the vaccine for one be effective for the other. Here is the worry then, if people stop having their yearly flu jab thinking that this illness has been eradicated, has been defeated, guess what will be showing its ugly head again in the very near future. Also we must remember that every year the 'make-up' of the flu changes.
they said last year there were zero flu cases. was it that anyone with flu was treated as a covid case just to pump up the numbers. just wish we are told true accurate facts and not ones they want us to hear. i was more than a bit tongue in cheek about the end of flu. imagine last winter there would be cases like every year but not reported as such with the covid obsession.
Old 14-05-2021, 10:39   #1858

It's a case of playing the odds - if seven people die of blood clots and 127'000 die of the virus (even if you dispute those figures you would still have to accept that half of those deaths are actually attributable to covid) so let's accept the sceptics view..... even then the odds are going to be about 10'000 to 1 of dying from blood clots against dying of covid. You make your own decisions based on personal circumstance and risk. Yes some unfortunate people are going to die from the vaccine but a lot more would die without it. It should always be your personal choice whether or not you have it but for those of us in the more 'high risk' groups I would take a look at the statistics and work out those odds.
cashman likes this.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:59   #1859
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
It should always be your personal choice whether or not you have it

Which sounds reasonable on the face of it, but the reality is far different. Folk being singled out or not allowed to do certain things if not vaccinated, discrimination & persecution in anyway you look at it for exerting your freedom of choice.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 14-05-2021, 21:11   #1860

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Which sounds reasonable on the face of it, but the reality is far different. Folk being singled out or not allowed to do certain things if not vaccinated, discrimination & persecution in anyway you look at it for exerting your freedom of choice.
There is a difficult balance between personal freedom and how that freedom impacts on others. We used to smoke everywhere - even the teacher used to smoke in the classroom. People are still allowed to smoke if they wish to but not in a public place to the detriment of others. Would you allow unrestricted travel to India at this moment in time ? Until it is completely under control there ae going to be certain restrictions whether we like it or not and I have yet to hear about anyone being vaccinated against their will.
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..