Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2008, 13:40   #121
Senior Member+

re: Planning Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
They're linked back to the station. From what I understand the one at Union Rd/Straits isn't looking down the Straits but covering Union Rd and the bottom of Rhyddings St.
Fibre Optic cable link, that would cost from Rhyddings Park

Quote:
Unless someone is monitoring my toings and froings that I'm unaware of.
Rising TV star

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2008, 17:15   #122
Resting in Peace

Yes, Park more flats !

(Mick can you not put the 'L' back in the thread title ? ..don't want folk to think have a speech impediment ... )

28 > 26 Burnley Road. 4 houses and 6 apartments. (Close to town again .. gotta be a good investment after proposed regeneration takes place)

311 Whalley Road, Clayton-le-Moors and 313/315 ... 6 - 1 bedroomed apartments.. this answers the question of what may be happening to the Lamb Inn.

Church: 16 - 3 - storey dwellinghouses, Land bound by Church Street, Florence Street, Lion Street and Steiners Lane. eeew hek .. 3 storey .. wonder if the local residents will have the same opposition as Stanhill ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 18:32   #123
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, Park more flats !

(Mick can you not put the 'L' back in the thread title ? ..don't want folk to think have a speech impediment ... )

28 > 26 Burnley Road. 4 houses and 6 apartments. (Close to town again .. gotta be a good investment after proposed regeneration takes place)

311 Whalley Road, Clayton-le-Moors and 313/315 ... 6 - 1 bedroomed apartments.. this answers the question of what may be happening to the Lamb Inn.

Church: 16 - 3 - storey dwellinghouses, Land bound by Church Street, Florence Street, Lion Street and Steiners Lane. eeew hek .. 3 storey .. wonder if the local residents will have the same opposition as Stanhill ?
Aye had noticed those, they will all get planning permission as well, you can bet.
But what of the comments made by Concillor Claire Prichard " we have enough little boxes and apartments in Hyndburn. The clayton-le-moors application is just that 6 x 1 bed apartments, why not 3x2 bed apartments, or is it another developer on the gravy train just out to make a quick killing.
The Church application I think the developer has already been in trouble with HBC for allowing the site to get in to a mess, not sure if they did'nt get fined, would seem that they did

Firm fined for neglecting land - News - Accrington Observer

The new 3 storey houses would look very well next to the rows of terraced houses
Note Councillor Clarke's comment "We want to make Hyndburn the place to be......"

Albert Einstein.

Old 23-02-2008, 19:47   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Aye had noticed those, they will all get planning permission as well, you can bet.
But what of the comments made by Concillor Claire Prichard " we have enough little boxes and apartments in Hyndburn. The clayton-le-moors application is just that 6 x 1 bed apartments, why not 3x2 bed apartments, or is it another developer on the gravy train just out to make a quick killing.
The Church application I think the developer has already been in trouble with HBC for allowing the site to get in to a mess, not sure if they did'nt get fined, would seem that they did

Firm fined for neglecting land - News - Accrington Observer

The new 3 storey houses would look very well next to the rows of terraced houses
Note Councillor Clarke's comment "We want to make Hyndburn the place to be......"

Oh yeh, did see that article, just hadn't connected .. does look a mess. (picture in the Observer).
I think it would look OK too Park, but will the neighbours ? ..

Not sure re. 3 - 2 bedroomed flats ex. Lamb Inn .. they are very small properties, and maybe the living area that would be provided would not balance with 2 bedrooms for a family. ? Looks like the ground floor would be some sort of communal entrance feature. Can't blame them for profiteering on 1-bedroom flats though, that is what it is all about I suppose. Would be ok in a metropolitan area, whereby the second bedroom could be rented out to a flate mate, but Clayton is not that unfortunately. Main road too. So feel best decision for this developer.
Old 24-02-2008, 08:19   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not sure re. 3 - 2 bedroomed flats ex. Lamb Inn .. they are very small properties, and maybe the living area that would be provided would not balance with 2 bedrooms for a family. ? Looks like the ground floor would be some sort of communal entrance feature. Can't blame them for profiteering on 1-bedroom flats though, that is what it is all about I suppose. Would be ok in a metropolitan area, whereby the second bedroom could be rented out to a flate mate, but Clayton is not that unfortunately. Main road too. So feel best decision for this developer.
As per Councillor Prichard "little boxes", I thought that new housing developments had to provide Off Road parking, think that will be very difficult there on the main road. Would it not have been better to povide a first floor flat leaving the ground floor for a retail outlet?

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2008, 08:40   #126
God Member

I have seen here that some members don't like the idea of 1 bedroom apartments being built.

I live in one, and find that they are ideal housing for the elderly and will enable more of us to live independantly for longer.

Our population is changing to having a larger percentage of us 'oldies'. The developers have recognised this need and are attempting to meet it.

So why do you groan and say 'more 1 bedroomed apartments!'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 09:03   #127
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have seen here that some members don't like the idea of 1 bedroom apartments being built.

I live in one, and find that they are ideal housing for the elderly and will enable more of us to live independantly for longer.

Our population is changing to having a larger percentage of us 'oldies'. The developers have recognised this need and are attempting to meet it.

So why do you groan and say 'more 1 bedroomed apartments!'
margaret, I uderstand what you are saying, since I to am an 'oldie' but in this case I don't think that converting a small pub in the middle of a terraced row in to 6 x 1 bedroom flats is a developer meeting the needs of the 'oldies'. I think he is trying to get a good return on his investment.

Flats for sale in Clayton le Moors

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2008, 09:22   #128
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Fibre Optic cable link, that would cost from Rhyddings Park
They are wireless so only need an electrical supply.
Old 24-02-2008, 09:37   #129
God Member

I dont agree with converting existing housing into flats, because there are bound to be problems with noise. Such accommodation reminds me of the doss houses and student bedsits I visited when working for DHSS.

I can understand nearby residents being annoyed when a development like that gets planning permission in their area.

More purpose built 1 bed accommodation is needed, which would free up the 2 bed terraces for small families.

I know quite a few persons of my age group who feel burdened by their housing, which is now larger than their needs, is more expensive and tiring to maintain. They despair at the shortage of suitable accommodation, either to buy or rent.

Most of those newbuild apartments are expensive and can only attract middle aged couples with no children, who have a 3 bed semi to sell. They are less likely to consider such 'downsizing' as an option.

Housing Associations should encouraged to build, readily be given planning consent, and even given financial incentives, to build 1 bedroomed accomodation, for rent.

Perhaps when those expensive flats get no buyers, they will be bought by a professional landlord, who will rent them out.

Meanwhile we are stuck with a housing stock which does not meet the needs of our changing population and is a source of misery for many.

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-02-2008 at 09:40.
Old 24-02-2008, 09:44   #130
Resting in Peace

Actually got it wrong on the 1st floor .. is going to be accommodation .. sorry.

Parking ? Mmmm ... not sure if yellow lines there at the moment .. will take a nosey later, but could be a big stumbling block for the developer, although feel he may have looked into this. Certainly yellow lines on the block across the road, often wonder where they park.

Some people use the Oddfellow's car park but, of course, is theirs, and don't think much around the back.

Ya' never know Margaret .. may be aimed at us 'mature' citizens, who aren't expected to drive ..
Old 24-02-2008, 09:51   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They are wireless so only need an electrical supply.
So how are the images transmitted back to Greenbank? radio link, phone line

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2008, 10:07   #132
Senior Member+

Quote:
I dont agree with converting existing housing into flats, because there are bound to be problems with noise. Such accommodation reminds me of the doss houses and student bedsits I visited when working for DHSS.

I can understand nearby residents being annoyed when a development like that gets planning permission in their area.

More purpose built 1 bed accommodation is needed, which would free up the 2 bed terraces for small families.

I know quite a few persons of my age group who feel burdened by their housing, which is now larger than their needs, is more expensive and tiring to maintain. They despair at the shortage of suitable accommodation, either to buy or rent.

Most of those newbuild apartments are expensive and can only attract middle aged couples with no children, who have a 3 bed semi to sell. They are less likely to consider such 'downsizing' as an option.

Housing Associations should encouraged to build, readily be given planning consent, and even given financial incentives, to build 1 bedroomed accomodation, for rent.

Perhaps when those expensive flats get no buyers, they will be bought by a professional landlord, who will rent them out.

Meanwhile we are stuck with a housing stock which does not meet the needs of our changing population and is a source of misery for many.
I agree with you on all that, look at the proposed development at Hill Top on Manchester road, they will be expensive, and yet one of our Councillors was backing the development

Most of the one bed type are sheltered, I know someone that has just sold his house and moved in to one of those behind the Co-op in Ossy, the flat is very nice and has only one bedroom

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2008, 10:17   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Actually got it wrong on the 1st floor .. is going to be accommodation .. sorry.

Parking ? Mmmm ... not sure if yellow lines there at the moment .. will take a nosey later, but could be a big stumbling block for the developer, although feel he may have looked into this. Certainly yellow lines on the block across the road, often wonder where they park.

Some people use the Oddfellow's car park but, of course, is theirs, and don't think much around the back.

Ya' never know Margaret .. may be aimed at us 'mature' citizens, who aren't expected to drive ..
Is there room at the rear of the building? off road parking is a major issue, Planners are adding conditions to planning permission to stop garages being converted in to living space on new developments, to try to reduce the resulting problem of cars being parked on the road, I think HBC officers were recommending such a condition on the application for the old spring hill club site.

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-02-2008, 17:33   #134
God Member

It looks as though all I said about 'oldie friendly' property has been considered
Today's mail
Ministers want all new homes to be 'pensioner-friendly' - with downstairs bathrooms and wider doorways | the Daily Mail

Old 25-02-2008, 19:03   #135
Senior Member+

Quote:
It looks as though all I said about 'oldie friendly' property has been considered
Today's mail
Ministers want all new homes to be 'pensioner-friendly' - with downstairs bathrooms and wider doorways | the Daily Mail
Looks like you could be right margaret, it will add to the cost of new builds, and it brings the DDA in to the home.

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..