Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2013, 07:06   #3556
God Member

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007
ed miliband pretending to be tough, he must think the British electorate are stupid and we don't remember he was elected not by the general labour party members but by the union thugs and their block vote.
Think yourself lucky. The preferred candidate of the union I was a member of at the time was Diane Abbott.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2013, 08:40   #3557
Senior Member+

DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 14:05   #3558
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Do Union leaders forego their salaries when they call their members out on strike?
No
Old 14-12-2013, 14:13   #3559
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Said it before...Cmon has his heart in the right place...he just sets himself up by jumping from argument to argument without engaging in meaningful debate about any of them.

Thing is the Tories are making so many basic errors on humanism, education, health, taxes, economic policy, foreign policy and what the man in the street actually wants, that Cmon is like a kid in a sweetshop let loose with his dads goldcard. He is spoilt for choice.

Surely not even the most diehard tory can defend the following (which will be buried in tomorrows press amongst the latest Strictly/Xfactor gossip)....

Diary of a Benefit Scrounger: Breaking News : Government Reviewer Opposed Rollout of ESA

And just a smidgeon of the results of this particular policy..

Former soldier had his benefits cut after he volunteered to sell poppies because Jobcentre staff said he wasn't 'actively seeking work' | Mail Online

Disabled man ?crushed by financial pressure? found dead at Atherton home after his benefits were stopped | Black Triangle Campaign

Sneinton man overdoses after benefits stopped | Nottingham Post

For the TLDR xbox generation amongst you...evidence that the current government lied (yet again) in parliament no less, and evidence of the deaths that followed.

Bear in mind that they are currently in the process of deciding whether to accept an 11% increase in wages, whilst they screw us even more into the ground...the 11% per week that they accept boils down to around 4x what your average jobseeker gets per week....(remember this is a pay RISE of 4x a jobseekers subsistence allowance, i.e the amount the government deems you need to survive). Fair play to our Graham who has agreed that a payrise for MP's at this time is obnoxious! (and before anyone accuses me of being a lickspittle, I'm one of his biggest critics)

There is an online petition that currently has around 300,000 signatures slamming this pay rise, but the government claims that because its an independent review that says they should get it, they probably will...well for those of you who read the blog above, we all know how this government interprets reviews.

Frankly the only DS here, are the ones that bury their heads, the i'm alright jacks and the thatcherite cybermen!

Oh and for those living in the past citing unions that held the country to ransom...bah! what about the tories who sent 7 year old kids up chimneys! Using the past is a stupid argument!
Just put you straight on one thing they are not debating (all MPs about an 11% pay rise) they have no say and no way in refusing it as it was out sourced on their own behest to an outside body. Just one question Guinness do you think a Union Leader who has said he is hell bent on bringing this country to its knees is worth £165,000 a year
Old 14-12-2013, 14:36   #3560
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Do Union leaders forego their salaries when they call their members out on strike?
And do business leaders forgo their salaries when they move jobs to Bangladesh where folks are just dying to work ... and dying in even larger numbers while they are at work? And is it worth while mentioning bonuses for screwing up, and cozy little tax shelters to avoid paying their fair share of taxes?
cmonstanley likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 14:45   #3561
God Member

Quote:
Cmon has his heart in the right place...
This is true ... I just wish he would put his beliefs a little more cogently. But, whatever, he certainly doesn't deserve the infantile, ad hominem comments flung at him from the right.
Old 14-12-2013, 14:47   #3562
Senior Member+

Quote:

what about the tories who sent 7 year old kids up chimneys! Using the past is a stupid argument!
So all chimney sweeps were Tories? I never knew that.
I'll bet cmon won't have his chimney swept again!

QUOTE=Eric;1087243] And is it worth while mentioning bonuses for screwing up, and cozy little tax shelters to avoid paying their fair share of taxes?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is .
It doesn't matter which side of the fence they're on, if there's a trough on their side they'll get their noses in it.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 14-12-2013 at 14:50.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 14:56   #3563
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
he certainly doesn't deserve the infantile, ad hominem comments flung at him from the right.
Being fair, Eric, cmon isn't above giving a tu quoque response.
Old 14-12-2013, 15:13   #3564
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Being fair, Eric, cmon isn't above giving a tu quoque response.
And to be fair, I've been guilty of sharp comments where he is concerned ... maybe it would be better if I say quietly, and to myself, "I just wish he hadn't posted that way." It's still a free country, and, still trying to be fair, he has a right to his opinion.
Old 14-12-2013, 15:44   #3565
Senior Member+

If we're being fair, I think cmon is seen with a certain amount of affection by a lot of people on Accyweb. He'd certainly be missed if he didn't come on and he deserves 10 out of 10 for his enthusiasm, (even if he is usually wrong). Given a lot less flak than he gets a few other people have dropped off Accyweb.
And he certainly digs deep- he knew a lot more about the Post Office sale than I did! As you say, if only he would put his opinions/arguments better.
All right, he's red hot Labour- we all have our faults!
And if he reads this- don't blush, you're Red enough.
Old 14-12-2013, 16:16   #3566
Mog

If the minimum pay revue was outsourced to an outside body, and if they recommended an 50% pay rise, do you think the government at the time who are in power would agree with it and because it cannot be refused, would they ensure that it was implemented
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 16:27   #3567

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just one question Guinness do you think a Union Leader who has said he is hell bent on bringing this country to its knees is worth £165,000 a year
Nope, nor do I think that a premier league footballer is worth more a month than Obama gets in a year. I fail to see what that has to do with this government killing off the sick and disabled whilst about to receive a rise that is 4x what they reckon a person needs to survive for a week

Quote:
So all chimney sweeps were Tories? I never knew that.
'This is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put' W.S.Churchill
Old 14-12-2013, 16:33   #3568
Senior Member+

Quote:

'This is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put' W.S.Churchill
How dare you suggest I'm a pedantryophile!
Old 14-12-2013, 16:36   #3569
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
If we're being fair, I think cmon is seen with a certain amount of affection by a lot of people on Accyweb.
Perhaps affection isn't quite the right term, say more, a wry inevitability! It's a bit like having a hole in your tooth, you can't help but keep sticking your tongue in it out of curiosity & of course, you know it'll lead to discomfort but it certainly don't stop you from prodding it occasionally!
Old 14-12-2013, 16:42   #3570

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
How dare you suggest I'm a pedantryophile!
Hey! wasn't me.. it was that chap Churchill

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..