Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2013, 22:45   #3646
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
And no doubt they can write that off for tax purposes.....not really the true spirit of volunteering
Ah! See your point now, but as he's doing volunteer work for another concern & they're not paying him, he's a "Volunteer" to them. And his company, well they're just doing their little bit of philanthropic niceness, can't harm their image any can it?

Thereby putting C'mons somewhat skewed & dogmatic view of "Wicked Tory grasping chiefs of industry" being all about profit ahead of humanity.
Old 28-12-2013, 22:59   #3647
Senior Member+

I suppose it depends who he works for. Lets say he`s a fireman and does 4 days a year "voluntary" work but then gets 4 extra days off with pay. Who pays for that?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 23:15   #3648

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ah! See your point now, but as he's doing volunteer work for another concern & they're not paying him, he's a "Volunteer" to them. And his company, well they're just doing their little bit of philanthropic niceness, can't harm their image any can it?

Thereby putting C'mons somewhat skewed & dogmatic view of "Wicked Tory grasping chiefs of industry" being all about profit ahead of humanity.
Nope you're missing the point completely..there is zero volunteering occurring here...one man is being paid, one company is offsetting this pay against tax.

The charity has an extra body for a day, the company is profiting from the tax break and Neil is providing the humanity...he is being paid, albeit indirectly, by the taxpayer.

You still sure that Cmon is wrong? Who has the profit here, who has the humanity and who is paying?
Old 28-12-2013, 23:17   #3649
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
And no doubt they can write that off for tax purposes.....not really the true spirit of volunteering
Damned if they do, damned if they dont

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I suppose it depends who he works for. Lets say he`s a fireman and does 4 days a year "voluntary" work but then gets 4 extra days off with pay. Who pays for that?
I work for a private company so no need to worry about that
Old 28-12-2013, 23:20   #3650
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Nope you're missing the point completely..there is zero volunteering occurring here...one man is being paid, one company is offsetting this pay against tax.

The charity has an extra body for a day, the company is profiting from the tax break and Neil is providing the humanity...he is being paid, albeit indirectly, by the taxpayer.

You still sure that Cmon is wrong? Who has the profit here, who has the humanity and who is paying?
You are making a lot of assumptions there.

Cmon is always wrong so no need answering that one
Old 28-12-2013, 23:23   #3651

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You are making a lot of assumptions there.

Cmon is always wrong so no need answering that one
Yup..I'm assuming you are human
Old 28-12-2013, 23:35   #3652
Senior Member+

Quote:
I work for a private company so no need to worry about that
It will still be offset somewhere, lets say you work for currys then, and every employee did 4 days a year volunteer work, don`t you think that would mean either as has been said, company pays less tax, or, the price of electricals go up. One things for sure Currys won`t be losing out.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 00:39   #3653
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It will still be offset somewhere, lets say you work for currys then, and every employee did 4 days a year volunteer work, don`t you think that would mean either as has been said, company pays less tax, or, the price of electricals go up. One things for sure Currys won`t be losing out.
I think my firm do it because it makes them look good working with charities.
Only a small percentage of employees do it anyway.
Old 29-12-2013, 09:02   #3654
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
showing their true colours again UK weather: Conservative energy minister goes to fox hunt while thousands are hit by power cuts - Mirror Online out of touch and soon to be out of government.
to be replaced by what, two Mr. Eds now that's really something two Eds certainly better that one ones a real balls up for a start with
Old 29-12-2013, 10:34   #3655
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
You still sure that Cmon is wrong?
Wrong, misguided, predictable, tedious, obsessive .......... so many adjectives & only one C'mon!
Old 29-12-2013, 10:44   #3656
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The Tories

Quote:
I think my firm do it because it makes them look good working with charities.

Only a small percentage of employees do it anyway.

Unless of course you are doing something that requires sponsorship such as a marathon, charity work should be like secret Santa, you do it because you can to make a difference to the project, not for publicity for you or some company.

The joy is making a difference, not in praise by blowing your own trumpet or using an employee to make it seem like you are worthy of some false praise.
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 11:20   #3657
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Most companies blow their own trumpet as a way of saying how good they are when trying to get more business
Old 29-12-2013, 11:29   #3658
Beacon of light

yes of course they do and in the world where business is almost seen as 'dirty' it seems that they have to prove themselves to be honourable...and if charities benefit it is no bad thing.
It would be a better thing if the bosses of the big charities took less money out of the pot so that those who really need the help can get it.....and please don't anyone tell me that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Less likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 12:43   #3659
Beacon of light

I also 'get' the distrust Guinness has for volunteer work.
Especially where this means that the work isn't there for someone to be paid for doing it.....to put bread on the table for a family.
It would be hard for some jobs to be done by volunteers...but then there are some things that volunteers are good at.

Feeding folk in hospital........what would you choose....that your elderly infirm mother is fed by a caring volunteer or is left to starve because the nurses, HCA's are too busy doing other things?.....it is easy to say employ more of them, but if the budget isn't there, then it isn't going to happen.

The Australin Fire and rescue service rely heavily on volunteers......people from the local community who want to make their community safe in times of need(bush fires, and floods).
Volunteer services have to be balanced so that the trained people can supervise the volunteers...make sure that what they are doing is no risk to their health or to the health of those they are trying to help.
Volunteering is good for personal esteem as well as the esteem of business.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 12:45   #3660
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It would be a better thing if the bosses of the big charities took less money out of the pot so that those who really need the help can get it.....and please don't anyone tell me that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
It would also be a better thing if the bosses of big business and big business itself paid their fair share of taxes so that the need for charity would not be as pressing.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..