Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2013, 05:27   #3631
Beacon of light

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Sorry to double post but I feel very strongly about our emergency services...

On this particular night, the emergency services got it perfect.

Nobody reports good news so lets find the negatives...so the tory press barons once again use 'numbers'....and the gullible amongst us fall hook, line and sinker yet again!
And if by some chance there hadn't been such a turnout by the emergency services and their had been a loss of lives, what a field day the press would have had with that story.
Less likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2013, 14:25   #3632
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I'm totally confused by that comment

Are you saying its lazy NOT to volunteer to take someones livelihood away or are you saying its lazy to expect someone to do something they are paid to do?

My reply was about this bit of Retlaws quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There is a different mind set amongst the English about volunteering.
Quote:
In the case of emergency services, what I want are trained professionals to be paid accordingly from a central fund raised by fair taxation to save my life if needed, and I'd rather have too many than too few, and if that means cutting aid to spacefaring nations so be it.
I agree with you on that.

I have said to several politicians that I don't agree with Council Tax freezes. I believe they do it to makes voters happy and not for the good of the Borough. Costs are increasing all the time in wages, insurance, vehicles etc etc and the incoming money is staying the same. in effect a frezze is the same as a cut. The services we receive are being cut to keep Council Tax the same which is not good. Many on here moan about the state of the town centre, lack of toilets and whatever, with less money to spend the service we get will be worse.

HBC are already outsourcing and joining with other councils to provide reduced services for things like planning and others.
Old 27-12-2013, 14:32   #3633
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the thing is the german companies work in cohesion with their employees. british employers wouldnt let their workers volunteer. you would be classed as a liability. thats the difference with British and German society.
Why would you be a liability?

How many charity shops do we have in town that have a mix of paid and voluntary staff?

I am sure between us we could name several other companies in Hyndburn that use volunteers on a regular basis.

I am heavily encouraged to volunteer at work, we have a few charities I can do volunteer days for and my company will give me up to 4 days off in return for doing 4 volunteer days.
Old 27-12-2013, 17:55   #3634
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am heavily encouraged to volunteer at work, we have a few charities I can do volunteer days for and my company will give me up to 4 days off in return for doing 4 volunteer days.
Is that 4 days a week? A fortnight? A month? A year?
If it's a week you're working for a charity and your employer has you part time!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 18:08   #3635
God Member

Quote:
Why would you be a liability?

How many charity shops do we have in town that have a mix of paid and voluntary staff?

I am sure between us we could name several other companies in Hyndburn that use volunteers on a regular basis.

Four days off isn't all that tempting to those who are out of work. Maybe if they volunteered, they could be rewarded with four days of paid employment.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 21:01   #3636
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Four days off isn't all that tempting to those who are out of work. Maybe if they volunteered, they could be rewarded with four days of paid employment.

That is what my company offer its employees if they want to volunteer. So if I spent 4 days volunteering I would get 4 days off work.
Old 28-12-2013, 01:04   #3637
God Member

with pay
Old 28-12-2013, 21:15   #3638
God Member

showing their true colours again UK weather: Conservative energy minister goes to fox hunt while thousands are hit by power cuts - Mirror Online out of touch and soon to be out of government.
Old 28-12-2013, 22:15   #3639
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
with pay
Of course with pay
Old 28-12-2013, 22:19   #3640
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
showing their true colours again UK weather: Conservative energy minister goes to fox hunt while thousands are hit by power cuts - Mirror Online out of touch and soon to be out of government.
Do you read the story?
It says he didn't go hunting at the bottom and only tweeted support for the hunt
Old 28-12-2013, 22:23   #3641
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
showing their true colours againout of touch and soon to be out of government.
Oh the tedium! Is that the time already?
Old 28-12-2013, 22:23   #3642

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Of course with pay
Ok I'll bite, you've obviously got something up your sleeve..volunteers give their time for free..how does that make you a volunteer if you are paid to do it?
Old 28-12-2013, 22:27   #3643
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Ok I'll bite, you've obviously got something up your sleeve..volunteers give their time for free..how does that make you a volunteer if you are paid to do it?
Think he means his days off are paid by his company Guinness.
Old 28-12-2013, 22:29   #3644
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:

Good point. All I know is that I can attend volunteer charity days - last one was working in a green space in Manchester clearing out a pond and planting trees. If I attend one in my own time they give me a day off, upto 4 days a year.

I suppose the company is giving me to the charity for the day because I still get paid my normal rate so its my company that loose out because I am not working for them
Old 28-12-2013, 22:30   #3645

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

And no doubt they can write that off for tax purposes.....not really the true spirit of volunteering
Eric and Alan Varrechia like this.

Last edited by Guinness; 28-12-2013 at 22:34. Reason: adjusted for the above answer
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..