Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Bits & Bobs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/bits-and-bobs-50235.html)

monkey hanger 27-02-2021 08:31

Re: Bits & Bobs

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1250841]On a lighter note, Vegan Rovers & "Who've not got no meat pies" are taking this green revolution thing to the masses (well their fans at least). :)

only reason i could think of in going to nailsworth is blasting my high emmision diesel car up that hill to the ground and leave it ticking over in the car park for as long as i could. wearing a leather jacket in the ground would be compulsory as well as mushy peas the night before and something with plenty of meat and loads of baked beans for breakfast.

Chimer 27-02-2021 08:55

Other than that it's a very pleasant ground in a beautiful bit of the country ....... and rather to my surprise :eek:, the vegan pie at half time wasn't half bad either!

But I suspect MH not open to persuasion here :D

cashman 27-02-2021 09:20

have to be honest im not either i would not go yon if it was a freebie.

monkey hanger 27-02-2021 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1250859)
Other than that it's a very pleasant ground in a beautiful bit of the country ....... and rather to my surprise :eek:, the vegan pie at half time wasn't half bad either!

But I suspect MH not open to persuasion here :D

actually the journey to barrow is quite pleasant going through some beautiful country on the way especially from my side of the hill going through kirby lonsdale etc. been there before the vegan takeover but would never be persuaded to join their eating habits. when they cater for me as they wish to be catered for themselves i,ll start giving these veggies and vegans some slack.

andyd 28-02-2021 16:28

Interesting snippet on the price of football about Saturday,s opponents Ipswich Town who are rumoured to be sold shortly with Marcus Evans prepared to write off some debt, they have apparently lost £700,000 a month on average for the last 10 years that's 84 million on my reckoning and for every £100 pound of revenue they have paid £106 in wages. Crazy way to work especially when it ends up in failure, wonder if the great teams under Robson were built with such debt. If these are the so called big clubs we are trying to compete with on the field we are winning the balancing of the books and doing quite well at beating them on the pitch as well, the Stanley way is the right way.

andyd 01-03-2021 08:47

Another big slice of money will be paid to Lambert who leaves by mutual consent after recently signing a 5 year contract canny Scotsman saying he can't see himself working under new owners, great earner for him Ipswich fans get their wish but what a way to run a club.

andyd 01-03-2021 08:51

Darren Moore leaves Doncaster to take over at Sheffield Wednesday must have had a real deal to take that on.

andyd 01-03-2021 09:02

Apparently approach made by Wednesday on Friday by Sunday Moore informs Rovers he wants to go Rovers chairman not happy why there will be compensation presumably can't have it both ways would have sacked him if down at the bottom.

monkey hanger 01-03-2021 09:20

[QUOTE=andyd;1250957 If these are the so called big clubs we are trying to compete with on the field we are winning the balancing of the books and doing quite well at beating them on the pitch as well, the Stanley way is the right way.[/QUOTE]

the laugh is these so called big clubs in our league must spend a fortune on wages and signings and are still at the same level. would the sunderlands of this division even contemplate signing players who stanley have signed or those that promoted wycombe last season. whatever league you are in you need players to compete at that level and not the next level up till you get there.

Exile on Spencer St 01-03-2021 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1250985)
Apparently approach made by Wednesday on Friday by Sunday....

Blimey, that was a busy week! :rolleyes:

Twenty Eight 01-03-2021 09:56

Blimey, that was a busy week! quote by Exile.

Sounds like a Craig David song !!

Twenty Eight 01-03-2021 09:58

Great move for Darren. Lives locally no pressure because the assumption is they're going down so if he keeps them up ........

monkey hanger 01-03-2021 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1250990)
Doncaster Chairman is a massive Sheffield Wednesday fan. Go figure.

why doesn,t he go to them then. who would want any chairman involved with your club if he was a fan of a local rival. doubt even andy holt would be as popular with stanley no matter what he did if he was a massive blackburn fan.

Twenty Eight 01-03-2021 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1250992)
why doesn,t he go to them then. who would want any chairman involved with your club if he was a fan of a local rival. doubt even andy holt would be as popular with stanley no matter what he did if he was a massive blackburn fan.

I've deleted it mate. Got my wires crossed its the Rotherham Chairman I was thinking of.

andyd 01-03-2021 10:19

Last 5 managers at Wednesday have an average of 53 or so games in charge so he's gone if they are relegated or maybe if he keeps them up a few more games either way and you can't blame him for the money only reason anyone would work with that chairman.

monkey hanger 01-03-2021 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1250994)
Last 5 managers at Wednesday have an average of 53 or so games in charge so he's gone if they are relegated or maybe if he keeps them up a few more games either way and you can't blame him for the money only reason anyone would work with that chairman.

or if rovers dodgy current run continued to the end of the season he might have got the sack anyway. know he is a bit of a rovers legend but fans as well as owners have short memories.

Twenty Eight 01-03-2021 12:22

Quote:

No mate.
On a significant bonus if he keeps them up but will still be Manager League One if they don't.

Twenty Eight 01-03-2021 12:30

Quote:

Stats for stats sake.
Carvalhal resigned after 131 games - what's the club supposed to do about that ?
Bruce walked after 18 games - what's the club supposed to do about that ?
Pulis walked after 10 games - when he realised he's took the wrong job.

Monk got 58 games
Luhukay 48.

Are you mistaking them for Watford ?

cashman 01-03-2021 19:42

Cotterills back in hospital = Covid Pneumonia. that dont look good to me. hope the guys gonna be o.k.

AccyMad 01-03-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1250995)
or if rovers dodgy current run continued to the end of the season he might have got the sack anyway. know he is a bit of a rovers legend but fans as well as owners have short memories.

He might have been popular as a player but have it on good authority that there's been some unrest amongst their current players in last few weeks & some are happy that he's gone

andyd 01-03-2021 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1251003)
Stats for stats sake.
Carvalhal resigned after 131 games - what's the club supposed to do about that ?
Bruce walked after 18 games - what's the club supposed to do about that ?
Pulis walked after 10 games - when he realised he's took the wrong job.

Monk got 58 games
Luhukay 48.

Are you mistaking them for Watford ?

The three that walked all said similar things about Chairman interfering or trying with team selection why does he need a manager, should stick to canning Tuna.

andyd 01-03-2021 21:33

Merry go round in full swing.

andyd 01-03-2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1251016)
He might have been popular as a player but have it on good authority that there's been some unrest amongst their current players in last few weeks & some are happy that he's gone

Don't know about that but at WBA he had a bad run similar to what he has just had at Donny, got the sack and then Bilac took them up maybe in the back off his mind besides the money was history repeating itself and the risk of another blot on his CV, has Coley said today it's a ruthless profession now and getting worse just results driven and for many no time to build a team and youngsters for the future.

Chewbacca 02-03-2021 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1250992)

Holt, Marsden and Khan were hardly dyed in the wool Stanley fans.

Any one who helps save or invests in the club is popular, no matter what their affiliations are to other clubs.

Most owners these days are not fans of clubs until they buy them, and who they buy is often down to their budget and happenstance.

monkey hanger 02-03-2021 08:18

[QUOTE=Chewbacca;

Any one who helps save or invests in the club is popular, no matter what their affiliations are to other clubs.

Most owners these days are not fans of clubs until they buy them, and who they buy is often down to their budget and happenstance.[/QUOTE]

quite a lot of these new owners probably do not even know where the club they now own was till they bought it unlrss their geography is far better than mine is on arab states. think fans could not give a damn about the football interests of owners are when things are going well. once things turn sour then its some fans life work to dig stuff up on them.

andyd 02-03-2021 08:43

R.I.P. Ian St. John another great talent and great on tv with double act Greaves.

cashman 02-03-2021 08:57

was a damn good player also R.I.P.

Exile on Spencer St 02-03-2021 09:31

Always remember the old joke....man walking past a church in Liverpool sees a sign asking “What would you do if Jesus returned today?”....and someone had scrawled underneath “Move St. John to inside right!”.
Great player in a great team.

ferret man 02-03-2021 15:47

R I P. Ian, another great player and person gone from the field life.

monkey hanger 03-03-2021 09:17

who can ever forget the saint and greavesy show. nothing for me has bettered it since.

andyd 04-03-2021 11:37

Coventry back at the Ricoh arena next season after signing a ten year agreement.

Twenty Eight 04-03-2021 11:48

Not yet ..... it isn't signed and two sticking points. Minimum tenure period and break clauses. Hopefully sorted they deserve to be back.

andyd 04-03-2021 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251135)
Coventry back at the Ricoh arena next season after signing a ten year agreement.

Ten years maybe enough time for them to sort out there dream of a new football only home in Coventry.

monkey hanger 05-03-2021 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251139)
Ten years maybe enough time for them to sort out there dream of a new football only home in Coventry.

plus their future new world playing every season in one of the european tournments that many of their fans expected on leaving highfield road.

DaveinGermany 05-03-2021 17:35

I enjoyed the Ricoh, used to take my niece & nephew there (Sisters kids) good family section, they live about 10 minutes away, little Coventryites & it was prior to the days of Cov & Stanley sharing a league. :)

andyd 08-03-2021 10:00

Another club with an owner that is disliked by fans sacks manager Harry Kewell leaving Oldham with immediate effect there will always be somebody willing to take it on though.

monkey hanger 08-03-2021 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251322)
Another club with an owner that is disliked by fans sacks manager Harry Kewell leaving Oldham with immediate effect there will always be somebody willing to take it on though.

only in football you,d get about 40 sensible applicants for a job with a disliked owner and a basket case of an organisation who think they could do a good job. in any other walk of life i doubt anyone would apply unless the money was something they could not refuse.

mab 08-03-2021 15:57

Just a pitty we couldn't have beaten Ipswich last Tuesday .. https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich...hances-7812462

cashman 11-03-2021 19:37

have to disagree with jcs summary about the coming M.K.Dons game about injuries he says everybody is in the same boat with it, i disagree cos on the basis that most teams above us have far bigger squads than us so that makes em better off than us in my mind.

Exile on Spencer St 12-03-2021 09:35

I don’t know if it’s just bad luck, or not, but one puzzling feature for Stanley is how many of those in their squad who are not automatic first team choices, and thus have played few competitive games, are out injured.

Twenty Eight 12-03-2021 10:32

Seamus definitely out for a few games following scan.

AccyMad 12-03-2021 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1251465)
Seamus definitely out for a few games following scan.

Bad news indeed - hope he makes a good recovery

andyd 12-03-2021 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1251469)
Bad news indeed - hope he makes a good recovery

Bad news indeed but that's football hope he makes a full recovery but life goes on as they say someone else's turn to stake a claim for a regular starting role in central midfield.

andyd 12-03-2021 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1251461)
I don’t know if it’s just bad luck, or not, but one puzzling feature for Stanley is how many of those in their squad who are not automatic first team choices, and thus have played few competitive games, are out injured.

Could be anything training on 3D could be a factor Covid having a bigger impact or just sheer bad luck.

Exile on Spencer St 12-03-2021 13:19

Hope Seamus gets some R&R and is back to full fitness soon. He’ll be missed but it’s an opportunity for someone.

cashman 12-03-2021 13:26

doubt if we got someone that contributes as much.:confused:

monkey hanger 13-03-2021 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251475)
Could be anything training on 3D could be a factor Covid having a bigger impact or just sheer bad luck.

its funny this 3G thing how it affects some but not others. i actually love games on it and really knocks 20 years off my legs. never had an injury or tiredness from it unlike what some call proper football pitches that really are a mud bath by the end of it. however how much is in your head about them all may be the answer.

andyd 13-03-2021 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1251493)
its funny this 3G thing how it affects some but not others. i actually love games on it and really knocks 20 years off my legs. never had an injury or tiredness from it unlike what some call proper football pitches that really are a mud bath by the end of it. however how much is in your head about them all may be the answer.

3G are great but aren't allowed at league level so playing on grass surely better to prepare on grass?

Exile on Spencer St 13-03-2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251496)
3G are great but aren't allowed at league level so playing on grass surely better to prepare on grass?

That green stuff you can see growing at Highams isn’t grass, it’s rice! :rolleyes:

StanleyJosh 13-03-2021 18:36

Hate 4G. Awful in my opinion. No comparison to grass at all.

andyd 14-03-2021 11:30

Jackett leaves Portsmouth his overall win record 51.7% obviously not good enough for a big club.

Chimer 14-03-2021 11:56

It’s been coming since they didn’t make it through last season’s playoffs.

AccyMad 14-03-2021 12:46

Wonder who Portsmouth fans will blame now when a game doesn't go the way they think it should?

andyd 14-03-2021 13:12

Wilder also gone at Sheffield United played some of the best free flowing football seen in the Championship for a long while, fan great management record but the promised land of the Premiership bites again sad really probably down already but apparently falling out with Chairman doesn't help.

cashman 14-03-2021 13:59

seems to me many chairmen aint hard to fall out with,

Twenty Eight 14-03-2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251609)
Wilder also gone at Sheffield United played some of the best free flowing football seen in the Championship for a long while, fan great management record but the promised land of the Premiership bites again sad really probably down already but apparently falling out with Chairman doesn't help.

Tell you what else doesn't help.
Spending £50 mill on a keeper who makes mistakes on a regular basis and a centre forward who has yet to score.

andyd 14-03-2021 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1251612)
Tell you what else doesn't help.
Spending £50 mill on a keeper who makes mistakes on a regular basis and a centre forward who has yet to score.

Presume you mean Aaron Ramsdale who was Bournemouth,s 2019/20 player of the season cost £18 and a half million pounds I believe small margins, but great job if you can get football manager paid well in the main for failure as well as success, which is hard to achieve when only a couple+ of clubs go up from each division.

StanleyJosh 14-03-2021 15:11

Plus Brewster at £23 million who hasn’t scored in 20 odd games for them.

andyd 14-03-2021 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1251614)
Plus Brewster at £23 million who hasn’t scored in 20 odd games for them.

Who is only 20 years old scored 10 in 20 games at Swansea on loan last season in Championship and was that highly regarded by Klopp and Liverpool they put a buy back clause of £40 million pounds in the deal lasting till 2023 small margins.

Div3North 14-03-2021 15:54

Suggestion is that Wilder’s “settlement” might be around £7 million ... I’d have got them relegated for half that amount!

:theband::theband::theband:

Twenty Eight 14-03-2021 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251613)
Presume you mean Aaron Ramsdale who was Bournemouth,s 2019/20 player of the season cost £18 and a half million pounds I believe small margins, but great job if you can get football manager paid well in the main for failure as well as success, which is hard to achieve when only a couple+ of clubs go up from each division.

That's him.
Released by a club for not being good enough before joining Bournemouth - that club being Sheffield United !!
Small margins ??? 50 million of them right there.
Wilder would still be there if they were fourth from bottom.

Twenty Eight 14-03-2021 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251616)
Who is only 20 years old scored 10 in 20 games at Swansea on loan last season in Championship and was that highly regarded by Klopp and Liverpool they put a buy back clause of £40 million pounds in the deal lasting till 2023 small margins.

Your point being ?
Clue is they let him go ..... unlike the list of youngsters coming through the ranks.
Buy him back for 40 mill ? Please.
Mad money.

andyd 14-03-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1251618)
That's him.
Released by a club for not being good enough before joining Bournemouth - that club being Sheffield United !!
Small margins ??? 50 million of them right there.
Wilder would still be there if they were fourth from bottom.

Just shows to me how much money is awash in the Premiership and how much could be put to better use in the pryamid, not added their collective salaries in there as well the mind boggles and we argue about players at Stanley on a pittance compared to some of these.

Exile on Spencer St 14-03-2021 20:35

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting ‘form’ table for League 1 over the last six games.

Not pleasant reading (not just at Stanley’s position, but also that of Sunderland:eek:) but who would have bet on Burton being top a few weeks ago?

Let’s hope Stanley can put on a similar resurrection over their recent form.

monkey hanger 15-03-2021 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Div3North (Post 1251617)
Suggestion is that Wilder’s “settlement” might be around £7 million ... I’d have got them relegated for half that amount!

:theband::theband::theband:

when we get the sack for not being good enough all you,d get is your pay in hand and any holiday paid thats due. i,m cheap as one million would be enough for me to put stevenage back in the national league.

AccyMad 15-03-2021 12:15

Lee Bowyer has reportedly quit as Charlton manager & is allegedly in talks to take over at Birmingham

andyd 15-03-2021 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1251643)
Lee Bowyer has reportedly quit as Charlton manager & is allegedly in talks to take over at Birmingham

Likely move played for both clubs 2 years left on his deal at Charlton so presumably won't get any severance pay good luck at Brum.

andyd 16-03-2021 20:11

League 1 still wide open tonight Lincoln and Donaster both beaten 3-0, Portsmouth lose again Ipswich currently losing 2-0.

mab 17-03-2021 05:35

Wonder if there's anying in this from the sun!! https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14334...box=1615724139 Brentford looking at Charles!!

andyd 17-03-2021 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1251668)
Wonder if there's anying in this from the sun!! https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14334...box=1615724139 Brentford looking at Charles!!

Not just in the sun when you are as a striker are heading for 20+ goals for a season any club with money to spend will take notice just hope if he does get tempted away we get the going rate for a striker.

Twenty Eight 17-03-2021 08:22

It's inverted flattery.
If no one is interested in any of your players then you're not impressing.
Not just Charles though.

monkey hanger 17-03-2021 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1251668)

at least it will cost em if they want him. prior to andy holt he,d have gone for even a half eaten packet of peanuts. know my lad will be interested in this as he never knew why dion was ever playing non league football, followed his career closely and not surprised how well he has done for stanley.

andyd 17-03-2021 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1251672)
at least it will cost em if they want him. prior to andy holt he,d have gone for even a half eaten packet of peanuts. know my lad will be interested in this as he never knew why dion was ever playing non league football, followed his career closely and not surprised how well he has done for stanley.

Correct and being a striker rightly or wrongly they are like gold dust and generally spark the most in money and interest.

StanleyJosh 17-03-2021 09:24

Hopefully not another Kayden leaving before his time.

andyd 17-03-2021 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1251674)
Hopefully not another Kayden leaving before his time.

A lot will depend on wether the interest is pursued the player himself and obviously a bid if any that the club deems acceptable, as with Kayden the fee was good for a player that had a special season and he wanted to go probably to prove himself higher up and of course a vastly improved salary, money in the end invariably talks.

StanleyJosh 17-03-2021 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251675)
A lot will depend on wether the interest is pursued the player himself and obviously a bid if any that the club deems acceptable, as with Kayden the fee was good for a player that had a special season and he wanted to go probably to prove himself higher up and of course a vastly improved salary, money in the end invariably talks.

Of course players want to challenge themselves and money talks.
Kayden had one good season with us in League 2 then jumped up to Championship where Ipswich unfortunately got relegated and he got frozen out by Lambert.
Wish he'd given us a season in League 1 to establish himself further before making a move. If he proved himself in League 1 he could have gone to a higher team for more money. Swings and roundabouts I guess, could have easily gone the other way too.

andyd 17-03-2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1251676)
Kayden had one good season with us in League 2 then jumped up to Championship where Ipswich unfortunately got relegated and he got frozen out by Lambert.
Wish he'd given us a season in League 1 to establish himself further before making a move. If he proved himself in League 1 he could have gone to a higher team for more money. Swings and roundabouts I guess, could have easily gone the other way too.

Hindsight is easy he wanted to go Stanley benefited more because we made a tidy profit on him, he was a perfect ploy for Kee he was found out at Ipswich, like quite a few who have made their name at Stanley, McCarten springs to mind had a remarkable free kick run were they all went in Bradford came silly money Stanley bit their hand off.

StanleyJosh 17-03-2021 10:48

Think we are lucky that we've never had many bad eggs kicking off and making a fuss to leave.
Clicker prime example, gave his all and left with everyones best wishes and is making his name as a Championship player.

Exile on Spencer St 17-03-2021 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1251678)
Think we are lucky that we've never had many bad eggs kicking off and making a fuss to leave.
Clicker prime example, gave his all and left with everyones best wishes and is making his name as a Championship player.

Maybe that’s because of the character and attitude in players that the management team look for?

monkey hanger 18-03-2021 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1251676)

well they cannot take the extra money off him that he earned from playing at ipswich. plus a better chance of getting a better club and more money once he does leave even on a free. its stupid, but a free transfer from ipswich does sound better than a free transfer from accrington which could have eventually been the case.

andyd 18-03-2021 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1251745)
well they cannot take the extra money off him that he earned from playing at ipswich. plus a better chance of getting a better club and more money once he does leave even on a free. its stupid, but a free transfer from ipswich does sound better than a free transfer from accrington which could have eventually been the case.

We got a reported million pounds for him he signed a 3 year deal with a further 12 months option on a reported £3000 a week that's close on earning half a million pounds in 3 years worked financially for both parties.

andyd 18-03-2021 09:18

Wether it's worked well for his career is another thing scored 16 goals for us in 1 season 16 in nearly 3 at Ipswich will he be bothered who knows will he get another decent wage elsewhere yes if someone wants him your only worth what someone,s prepared to pay.

cashman 18-03-2021 12:25

Dion has been called up for Northern Ireland first team squad for the first time hes earned that i reckon we will miss him for Boro away game but the lads earned it i say.

cashman 18-03-2021 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1251759)
Dion has been called up for Northern Ireland first team squad for the first time hes earned that i reckon we will miss him for Boro away game but the lads earned it i say.

hope he has the sense to stay for 1 more season and consolidate his goalscoring if he does he will no doubt earn a lot more money and stanley will also benefit financially from it,too many lads have left too soon and yeh only got to look back and see.

andyd 18-03-2021 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1251766)
hope he has the sense to stay for 1 more season and consolidate his goalscoring if he does he will no doubt earn a lot more money and stanley will also benefit financially from it,too many lads have left too soon and yeh only got to look back and see.

Brentford allegedly among those looking took Toney from Posh last season paying him £20000+ a week if I was Dion and much as I love Stanley whoosh off I,d go you don't get many chances of big things in either life or football grab em while you can.

Twenty Eight 18-03-2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1251678)

He’s played as striker, wide left, wide right, right wing back left wing back this season.
Seems to have cemented the left wing back role permanently now.
Always thought we could have got more from him than just wide right.
He's settled in the area.
Never hear a bad word about anything to do with, or anyone connected with Accy from Jord.

monkey hanger 19-03-2021 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251769)
Brentford allegedly among those looking took Toney from Posh last season paying him £20000+ a week if I was Dion and much as I love Stanley whoosh off I,d go you don't get many chances of big things in either life or football grab em while you can.

one bad tackle or accident away from a career ending injury.

AccyMad 19-03-2021 09:15

Just been confirmed that Nathan Baxter is out for the rest of the season, the lad's given his all for us in his time here - such a shame it's had to end like this & when you think the Ipswich player who clattered him didn't get so much as a booking! Best wishes for a full recovery Nathan

StanleyJosh 19-03-2021 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1251770)
He’s played as striker, wide left, wide right, right wing back left wing back this season.
Seems to have cemented the left wing back role permanently now.
Always thought we could have got more from him than just wide right.
He's settled in the area.
Never hear a bad word about anything to do with, or anyone connected with Accy from Jord.

Just needs to work on his accent haha ;)

NORTHERNSOUL 19-03-2021 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251670)
Not just in the sun when you are as a striker are heading for 20+ goals for a season any club with money to spend will take notice just hope if he does get tempted away we get the going rate for a striker.

Well if he has to go Brentford is as good as anywhere because they don't buy players who are just good enough to play for them but good enough to be sold on for multiple times what they pay for them.

Its said they work to an equation to work out what they.ll pay for a player and that figure is said to be between 10 and 12.5% of what they think they.ll be able to go on and sell the player for the downside is that they are very tight in what they.ll allow in terms of add ons and sell-on fees.

NORTHERNSOUL 19-03-2021 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL (Post 1251780)
Well if he has to go Brentford is as good as anywhere because they don't buy players who are just good enough to play for them but good enough to be sold on for multiple times what they pay for them.

Its said they work to an equation to work out what they.ll pay for a player and that figure is said to be between 10 and 12.5% of what they think they.ll be able to go on and sell the player for the downside is that they are very tight in what they.ll allow in terms of add ons and sell-on fees.

Wonder if AH has considered the option of offering a cut of the eventual fee to a player who agrees to stay that extra year unless the value didn't go up during the year its a win-win all round situation especially if you make it that's its 10% but only payable if the value increases by at least 10% over the season. 100k lump sum straight into a players bank account would turn a few players heads but in Jackson's case like a couple of others i.d just do what Andy did and take the cash before the likes of Ipswich changed their minds.

Twenty Eight 19-03-2021 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL (Post 1251780)

Hi Mate,

They adopted the moneyball baseball approach. Watch the movie from 2011 true story.
Bit of a long read but interesting.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...h-huge-budgets

NORTHERNSOUL 20-03-2021 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1251789)
Hi Mate,

They adopted the moneyball baseball approach. Watch the movie from 2011 true story.
Bit of a long read but interesting.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...h-huge-budgets

Yeah, remember reading that a while back around the time that they scrapped their academy.

Some of it makes a lot of sense but some of it seems to me to be over complicating things in what is really a very simple game but I suppose if your owner has built his business on statistics it shouldn't come as a surprise when he brings those methods to his football club.

monkey hanger 20-03-2021 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL (Post 1251802)
Yeah, remember reading that a while back around the time that they scrapped their academy.

Some of it makes a lot of sense but some of it seems to me to be over complicating things in what is really a very simple game but I suppose if your owner has built his business on statistics it shouldn't come as a surprise when he brings those methods to his football club.

at the moment it seems to be working for them so you hear about it. just wonder how many others have given it a go and have failed.

cashman 22-03-2021 12:49

very good interview from Toby Savin on fishy i think.

Exile on Spencer St 22-03-2021 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1251900)
very good interview from Toby Savin on fishy i think.

Good luck to the lad, thought he played particularly well against Wigan, especially after that start...

https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...ew-toby-savin/

cashman 22-03-2021 17:39

yep but the start was little to do with him imho.

andyd 23-03-2021 09:27

R. I. P. The great one and only Frank Worthington had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times great player and personality.

monkey hanger 23-03-2021 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251906)
R. I. P. The great one and only Frank Worthington had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times great player and personality.

one of the few players i,d go to see just because he was playing. a true entertainer, very underated as an international, decent bloke who had the time for anyone, love of early rock and roll but if you had a pretty wife of girlfriend keep your eye on em. at least we have our memories. thanks frank.

Tin Monkey 23-03-2021 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1251906)

Anyone remember him playing against Stanley for Radcliffe Borough? I also remember him being the guest speaker at a Stanley Sportsman's Dinner.

Great player and personality.