Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The Tories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-tories-57812.html)

garinda 18-12-2011 23:16

Re: The Tories

Nevermind Things Can Only Get Better.

Things were begining to turn sour when they were still sweeping up the tons of champagne bottles at the South Bank, back in May 1997.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/d...511dS2Gj//2Q==

BERNADETTE 18-12-2011 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956876)
"Individual donations to the Labour party were vastly exceeded by those from trade unions in the second quarter of the year by a factor of 15 to one, according to figures from the Electoral Commission." Source: Financial Times 24.8.11.

The Tories always hit Labour with the Union funding stick. But where do they get their money? Big business, the city and wealthy individuals. At least the Unions are democratically accountable to millions of workers.

Oh no not another one quoting figures:rolleyes::rolleyes:. As I said "figures can be bent to how you want them to read". They are all tarred with the same brush whether you choose to believe that or not:o.

ToffeeGuy 18-12-2011 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 956881)
'Feel better' under new Labour?

Is that like when the cast of Shameless max out their credit with their dealers, and have a big, mental party, not giving a thought to when someone comes along later to chop their legs off, when they can't pay?

That sort of mindless, stupid, 'feel better'?

And isn't that true in Greece, Ireland, Italy, Spain and the US etc?....Perhaps I'm missing something but Labour weren't in charge in those countries. Generally the West went on a massive spending boom funded by credit from the Chinese in order to buy consumer goods from the same Chinese.

garinda 18-12-2011 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956886)
And isn't that true in Greece, Ireland, Italy, Spain and the US etc?....Perhaps I'm missing something but Labour weren't in charge in those countries. Generally the West went on a massive spending boom funded by credit from the Chinese in order to buy consumer goods from the same Chinese.

In my book a hundred and one wrongs don't make a right.

When it came to economic competency, New Labour were bordering on the imbecilic.

Though fair play to them, they were red hot on some financial matters.

Fiddling their expenses.

garinda 18-12-2011 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956886)
Perhaps I'm missing something

Yup.

You've already supplied enough evidence, for us all to arrive at the same conclusion.

ToffeeGuy 18-12-2011 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 956888)
In my book a hundred and one wrongs don't make a right.

When it came to economic competency, New Labour were bordering on the imbecilic.

Though fair play to them, they were red hot on some financial matters.

Fiddling their expenses.

Economic policies, which until the crash of 2008, the Tories were supporting as well and promising to match Labours spending commitments. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The credit and house price boom was started by the Tories in the 80s.

Weren't some Tories convicted of fiddling expenses as well?

For many years, decades even, the ruling governments seemed nervous to award pay increases to MPs due to the possible backlash by the public even though these increases would have been in line with other responsible jobs in both the public and private sectors. Therefore, it may be the case that many MPs saw expenses as a way of topping up their salaries to a level which they saw as the equivalent of what they could have got for doing a similar responsible job in the public/private sector. This seem to be a tacit belief within the House of Commons for years before the scandal broke.

Less 19-12-2011 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956891)
Economic policies, which until the crash of 2008, the Tories were supporting as well and promising to match Labours spending commitments. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The credit and house price boom was started by the Tories in the 80s.

And on and on he goes...

Good grief! Are you still here toffeebrain? I would have thought even you would have got bored with AccyWeb since you've been on posting your half baked bollocks.

Benipete 19-12-2011 00:15

Quote:

For many years, decades even, the ruling governments seemed nervous to award pay increases to MPs due to the possible backlash by the public even though these increases would have been in line with other responsible jobs in both the public and private sectors. Therefore, it may be the case that many MPs saw expenses as a way of topping up their salaries to a level which they saw as the equivalent of what they could have got for doing a similar responsible job in the public/private sector. This seem to be a tacit belief within the House of Commons for years before the scandal broke.

So are you saying that people out of work or not earning enough should become thieves and steal off the working class?:confused:

ToffeeGuy 19-12-2011 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 956894)
Good grief! Are you still here toffeebrain? I would have thought even you would have got bored with AccyWeb since you've been on posting your half baked bollocks.

Thanks, Less. Due to your insults, I'll take it I have won the argument. I can now go to sleep with an overwhelming sense of righteousness.

ToffeeGuy 19-12-2011 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 956895)
So are you saying that people out of work or not earning enough should become thieves and steal off the working class?:confused:

I'm sure there are people in the population at large who have fiddled the benefits system as they see it as their entitlement to top up their wages. I'm not saying that's right either.

The MPs should have set up an independent body long ago to set their wages that would have taken the political problems out of any rises.

Less 19-12-2011 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956896)
Thanks, Less. Due to your insults, I'll take it I have won the argument. I can now go to sleep with an overwhelming sense of righteousness.

What insults? What argument?

Unlike you I don't pad my posts with meaningless guff I tell it as it is and the way it is, is that you aren't worth insulting.

As for arguments AccyWeb isn't actually for arguments it's for discussions, some of the discussions may get heated from time to time, however I can't see that happening with you, you can't put a decent level headed post together, you've turned fairy tales and bedtime stories by the brothers Grimm into Tory bogeymen.
How can anyone have a discussion of views with a mindset like yours?

garinda 19-12-2011 06:01

Quote:

Unlike yourself, my views aren't skewed by political blindness.

All mainstream political parties are all so centralist, peopled as they are by Oxbridge careerist politicans, you'd need a fish slice to separate any of them.

To try and justify the illegal falsifying of expenses accounts, as a way of paying themselves a pay increase, for fear of a public backlash, is one of the most stupid things ever to be posted on this forum.

M.P.'s fought tooth and nail for their expenses to remain secret, because of 'security issues'.

If they couldn't survive on sixty odd grand per year, they should look for another job.

Stealing is wrong, and most were lucky that they escaped a prison sentence.

garinda 19-12-2011 06:08

Quote:

The credit and house price boom was started by the Tories in the 80s.

Were you taking a little nap, from Black Monday 1987, right through until the early nineties, when the country was in a terrible recession, and which saw the housing market crash?

Margaret Pilkington 19-12-2011 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956879)
Unfortunately when you have to fund new hospitals, new schools and better public services you sometimes have to sup with the devil. A'la Labour cosy up with big business and Murdoch.

For all their faults the country did feel better under new Labour. The Tories aren't called the 'Nasty' party for nothing.

Build new hospitals and schools...yes, did new labour do that?
Erm, yes they did.........with the PFI....money from big businesses........a sort of mortgage that you never know how much the lender wants paying back or for how long the mortgage runs....oh, yes and I forgot...we the tax payers are the mortgagees....seem fair to you then....this New Labour wheeze to make it look like they were doing stuff for the people?

Get real......they are all nasty parties, because all they want is to make good lives for themselves and their families, and let us foot the bill.

Margaret Pilkington 19-12-2011 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 956895)

Yes, in essence that is exactly what he is saying...seems a bit flawed to me.

Margaret Pilkington 19-12-2011 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 956905)

Stealing is wrong, and most were lucky that they escaped a prison sentence.

And some did go to prison...those who didn't were probably very good friends with someone else in high office.

jaysay 19-12-2011 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956826)
Tories funded by big business and The City. Labour funded by Union subs from ordinary working people. Says it all really.

I go on the basis of who I would rather go to the pub with. A Tory MP or a Labour MP?

Well I think you may have something in common with quit a few people on here at the moment, at least we might get to ask one of them why he stabbed local people in the back, seeing he dare not show his face on here since the deadly deed;)

jaysay 19-12-2011 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 956876)
"Individual donations to the Labour party were vastly exceeded by those from trade unions in the second quarter of the year by a factor of 15 to one, according to figures from the Electoral Commission." Source: Financial Times 24.8.11.

The Tories always hit Labour with the Union funding stick. But where do they get their money? Big business, the city and wealthy individuals. At least the Unions are democratically accountable to millions of workers.

Oh you mean the Union Bloke vote, it took Tory legislation to make sure that was democratic and a million not millions would be nearer the mark.

jaysay 19-12-2011 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 956911)
Build new hospitals and schools...yes, did new labour do that?
Erm, yes they did.........with the PFI....money from big businesses........a sort of mortgage that you never know how much the lender wants paying back or for how long the mortgage runs....oh, yes and I forgot...we the tax payers are the mortgagees....seem fair to you then....this New Labour wheeze to make it look like they were doing stuff for the people?

Get real......they are all nasty parties, because all they want is to make good lives for themselves and their families, and let us foot the bill.

Labour have only ever had one policy SPEND NOW PAY LATER, everybody knows its the easiest thing in the world to spend money, its that little problem of paying back, with interest, thats the ball acher, £43 billion interest per annum on Labours debts

jaysay 19-12-2011 08:45

I'm actually getting that Robert Jones feeling about our new member:rolleyes:

Less 19-12-2011 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 956936)
I'm actually getting that Robert Jones feeling about our new member:rolleyes:

Was he a member on here?

I'm beginning to think this new 'red', is either a student of political studies or even worse, a lecturer.
Any how, I'm sure he will be back shortly refreshed and ready to tell us we know nowt.
Which is precisely double the amount he knows.

jaysay 19-12-2011 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 956960)
Was he a member on here?

I'm beginning to think this new 'red', is either a student of political studies or even worse, a lecturer.
Any how, I'm sure he will be back shortly refreshed and ready to tell us we know nowt.

Ya he was a member on here, well he changed to his own name when he was rumbled, he joined to start a dog and pony show with another erstwhile poster Clare Pritchard, just for political reasons you understand

cashman 19-12-2011 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 956960)
Was he a member on here?

Or even worse,he could possibly be one of em, using another identity?:eek:

jaysay 19-12-2011 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 956976)
Or even worse,he could possibly be one of em, using another identity?:eek:

My take on this guy too cashy;)

cmonstanley 20-12-2011 22:34

he speaks the truth, we would have gone into debt whatever political party was in power and i would rather the money spent on hospitals, the working class and infrastructre than spend it on his mates .;) if plan A was working why are we heading to record unemployment and still borrowing more money;)

ToffeeGuy 20-12-2011 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957351)
he speaks the truth, we would have gone into debt whatever political party was in power and i would rather the money spent on hospitals, the working class and infrastructre than spend it on his mates .;) if plan A was working why are we heading to record unemployment and still borrowing more money;)

Wise words, thanks for the support.

garinda 20-12-2011 23:00

Quote:

Thus speaks one of the greatest economic minds of the age.

We might not have a pot to pee in.

But who cares?

Spend, spend, spend!

Sod the consequences.

(Cue music.)

Tomorrow- Annie Lyrics? - YouTube

garinda 20-12-2011 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 957352)

You'll probably both end up with the same embarrassing little rash.

Sharing the same support.

;)

Mancie 20-12-2011 23:11

The reality is that NO government wether it be Tory,Labour or the present lot has ever really been able to control our economy or avoid recessions over the last 100yrs.
Early 30's was maybe the worse recession..then we had the early 70's blamed on oil, late 70's to mid 80's blamed on the unions..then again early 90's blamed on financial speculators..and then we have 2008 to present blamed on borrowing and credit.
The thing that does make a difference is that a Tory government will always try claw out of a recession by what they might call re-balancing incomes and welfare..meaning cut public spending and raise taxes such as VAT.. because that is the area were they can recope the most money..have we not seen all this before?..they say that the NHS will be "amune" of "ringfenced" to cuts, yet the NHS has been told to make £20 billion in cuts!

garinda 20-12-2011 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 957355)
The reality is that NO government wether it be Tory,Labour or the present lot has ever really been able to control our economy or avoid recessions over the last 100yrs.
Early 30's was maybe the worse recession..then we had the early 70's blamed on oil, late 70's to mid 80's blamed on the unions..then again early 90's blamed on financial speculators..and then we have 2008 to present blamed on borrowing and credit.
The thing that does make a difference is that a Tory government will always try claw out of a recession by what they might call re-balancing incomes and welfare..meaning cut public spending and raise taxes such as VAT.. because that is the area were they can recope the most money..have we not seen all this before?..they say that the NHS will be "amune" of "ringfenced" to cuts, yet the NHS has been told to make £20 billion in cuts!

True, to a point.

When it comes to international recessions, on a worldwide scale, there's little a national government can do to protect itself.

Though building lots of nice, new, shiny hospitals, schools, colleges, etc, using PFI's, whose exorbitantly high repayements will cripple the country for generations to come, is only a wise thing to do if you're an imbecile.

Thatcher sold off the family silver, Brown went one better, and sold off the country's gold reserve when prices were rock bottom.

That Scottish inbred shouldn't have been allowed to count the church collection, nevermind been allowed to attempt to run the economy.

I am Gordon Brown, former Prime Minister, and Chancellor.

When it came to U.K. P.L.C., I put the 'I' into run, and created ruin.

http://db.msn-beta.com/big_emoticons/misc/one_eye.gif

BERNADETTE 20-12-2011 23:52

For goodness sake and whilst you are at it please note I'm quoting nobody here, whether they be tories, labour or whatever other sodding party you want to throw into the mix.
OUR country has had and countinues to have an open door policy for far, far to long. Why oh why do you think that illegal immigrants are prepared to risk life and limb to get here????
Anybody know of a party prepared to accept the facts or are we going to continue going round in circles??? No point arguing amonst each other if NO party is going to listen:rolleyes:

Mancie 21-12-2011 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 957364)
True, to a point.

When it comes to international recessions, on a worldwide scale, there's little a national government can do to protect itself.

Though building lots of nice, new, shiny hospitals, schools, colleges, etc, using PFI's, whose exorbitantly high repayements will cripple the country for generations to come, is only a wise thing to do if you're an imbecile.

Thatcher sold off the family silver, Brown went one better, and sold off the country's gold reserve when prices were rock bottom.

That Scottish inbred shouldn't have been allowed to count the church collection, nevermind been allowed to attempt to run the economy.

I am Gordon Brown, former Prime Minister, and Chancellor.

When it came to U.K. P.L.C., I put the 'I' into run, and created ruin.

http://db.msn-beta.com/big_emoticons/misc/one_eye.gif

Yes we agree they all make mistakes.. in my opinion the selling of the gold reserves to prop up the economy was a mistake.. but nowhere near as bad as selling what is called "the family silver"... the railways were sold for a £1 ..BP was sold for next to nothing and then run by ex tory cabinet ministers same as British Steel.. British Gas was supposed to be sold to the masses but ended up owned by foriegn companies..my water company and my electic provider are French.

garinda 21-12-2011 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 957365)
For goodness sake and whilst you are at it please note I'm quoting nobody here, whether they be tories, labour or whatever other sodding party you want to throw into the mix.
OUR country has had and countinues to have an open door policy for far, far to long. Why oh why do you think that illegal immigrants are prepared to risk life and limb to get here????
Anybody know of a party prepared to accept the facts or are we going to continue going round in circles??? No point arguing amonst each other if NO party is going to listen:rolleyes:

Agreed.

Which is one of the reasons why I'll not be voting ever again, until there's been one almighty change, for any mainstream political party.

Though I will continue banging my head against the wall.

Or as it's more commonly known, ripping into the soddin' lot of 'em.

:D

garinda 21-12-2011 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 957368)
Yes we agree they all make mistakes.. in my opinion the selling of the gold reserves to prop up the economy was a mistake.. but nowhere near as bad as selling what is called "the family silver"... the railways were sold for a £1 ..BP was sold for next to nothing and then run by ex tory cabinet ministers same as British Steel.. British Gas was supposed to be sold to the masses but ended up owned by foriegn companies..my water company and my electic provider are French.

I agree. I was certainly no fan of Thatcher's.

You owned all these nationalised company, but hey, Sid says you can give us your money, and own 'em again.

Idiocy, but people fell for it.

No government gives a toss for the longterm effects of what they do.

Five years is the maximum period of time their tiny minds can cope with.

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2011 06:14

Quote:

he speaks the truth, we would have gone into debt whatever political party was in power

What do you mean we would have gone into debt??????????
We were already in hock up to our eyeballs when the last government left power.
Didn't you hear that Ed Balls left a message to the incoming government....something like 'there isn't any money'

And Toffee Guy...relying on C'mon for support is like relying on a rubber stick to help you walk.......bloody useless!

Less 21-12-2011 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 957389)

And Toffee Guy...relying on C'mon for support is like relying on a rubber stick to help you walk.......bloody useless!

When you have no idea about the real world clutching at straws can seem a very sensible thing to do.

:)

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2011 07:03

To the senseless........I suppose it might.

jaysay 21-12-2011 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy (Post 957352)

Looks like you two haven't a brain between ya

JCB 21-12-2011 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 957355)

I don't know whether I would go as far back as 100 years , but it certainly applies to the modern economy . With globalisation , and the way our economic system is so bound up with those of countries worldwide , the government is limited in what it can do sort out our economic problems .

The government has said that it will bring the deficit down to zero in the lifetime of this parliament . I think that's a rash promise considering what's going on all over the place .

jaysay 21-12-2011 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 957389)
What do you mean we would have gone into debt??????????
We were already in hock up to our eyeballs when the last government left power.
Didn't you hear that Ed Balls left a message to the incoming government....something like 'there isn't any money'

The Guy who left the little note was chief secretary to the treasury Liam Bern Margaret, but they all peed in the same pot, but on the bright side it looks like we have a new comedy duo on here Dumb and Dumber;)

Eric 21-12-2011 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 957407)
Looks like you two haven't a brain between ya

Here we go with that ad hominem garbage again .... one of the most common fallacies for those on here with the "13 years etc" mantra as their only argument:rolleyes: The fallacy is: Say, person A, let's call him "c'mon" makes a statement; person B, let's say "jaysay", makes an attack on "c'mon". Therefore, "c'mon's" argument is false.:confused: But in most cases, the character, circumstances etc of a person making an argument do not usually have a bearing on the validity of that argument. Whatever arguments he brings to support his position, whatever weight of evidence he brings to bear, are ignored: "He/she must be wrong because of who he/she is".

I can't say I agree with all the pro-socialist arguments. I believe that socialism has to change to recognize changes that have occured in society ... a no-brainer really. To use decades old rhetoric is not all that useful in the twenty-first century. But some things have not changed. Let's use a Hyndburn MP's number: 95% of folks are nibbling on crumbs that 5% let fall while they are munching on the cake. The exercise of political power is in the hands of the 5%. But the source of that power is with the 95%. It is the task of some form of socialism to mobilize this power, and begin the process of redistributing a nation's wealth.

Another thing that is bugging me is the continual use of simplistic analogies to describe how we can get out of economic messes ... believe me, we get this garbage over here too. A household budget is not a national economy in a complex economic world. I have no doubt that governments manipulate figures, and indulge in some dubious accounting practices, in order to present a picture of the economy that conforms to their ideologies.

groove 21-12-2011 14:55

Politics politics yawn yawn bloody yawn

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 957434)

Another thing that is bugging me is the continual use of simplistic analogies to describe how we can get out of economic messes ... believe me, we get this garbage over here too. A household budget is not a national economy in a complex economic world. I have no doubt that governments manipulate figures, and indulge in some dubious accounting practices, in order to present a picture of the economy that conforms to their ideologies.

It is quite plan that there isn't a simple solution to sort out the financial ills that currently beset the world...it isn't just the UK and Europe that are having a tough financial time.

If it was simple then the Eu would have sorted the Eurozone crisis by now...but there simply isn't a one size fits all solution....and that was the mistake of a single currency.......it was trying to force a one size fits all on all the countries in the Eurozone, regardless of their ability to maintain budgets and have equal growth...it was never going to happen.
The Southern Med countries don't have the same productivity/manufacturing to be able to compete with the likes of Germany and France

And you are right when you say that governments manipulate figures....and indulge in dubious accounting(amonst a lot of othe dubious practices, no doubt)....and the budgetary management system of a household cannot really be used to manage the finances of the UK, but certain tenets of household management, had they been employed, would have meant us being in much less of a mess...or certainly the mess being addressed long before now....but it wasn't....and it doesn't really matter how we got here in this mess.....what is absolutely certain is we need some decisive action to sort it out.......and I can't see the cavalry through my woolworths telescope.

And Groove, if you find politics boring, why don't you just burger off?
No-one makes you read this stuff.

jaysay 21-12-2011 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 957434)
Here we go with that ad hominem garbage again .... one of the most common fallacies for those on here with the "13 years etc" mantra as their only argument:rolleyes: The fallacy is: Say, person A, let's call him "c'mon" makes a statement; person B, let's say "jaysay", makes an attack on "c'mon". Therefore, "c'mon" argument is false.:confused: But in most cases, the character, circumstances etc of a person making an argument do not usually have a bearing on the validity of that argument. Whatever arguments he brings to support his position, whatever weight of evidence he brings to bear, are ignored: "He/she must be wrong because of who he/she is".

I can't say I agree with all the pro-socialist arguments. I believe that socialism has to change to recognize changes that have occurred in society ... a no-brainer really. To use decades old rhetoric is not all that useful in the twenty-first century. But some things have not changed. Let's use a Hyndburn MP number: 95% of folks are nibbling on crumbs that 5% let fall while they are munching on the cake. The exercise of political power is in the hands of the 5%. But the source of that power is with the 95%. It is the task of some form of socialism to mobilize this power, and begin the process of redistributing a nation's wealth.

Eric if you listen to C'mon and any of is little bunch of cronies (2) the ills of this country started on the 6th May 2010, when it was actually 1st May 1997, remember things can only get better, now we're paying £45 billion in interest every year alone, on reckless spending, but its hard to understand sat in a log cabin accross the pond;)

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2011 19:08

The other maddening thing is, that we are led to believe we can influence the way our country is governed, by exercising democratic process...voting......and before Mancie comes on here and tells me that I am not allowed an opinion because I did not vote.........
I didn't vote because it feels like it is a worthless process...because none of the political parties is prepared to listen to the fears and anxieties of the electorate.....

The uncontrolled immigration, the human rights act which seems to protect the criminals rights, but leave the victims not only without the same right the criminals want, but traumatised by the crime too.

The sleaze and corruption in government....which seems to go unpunished, the cosying up to big business(by all parties - not just the tories) so that they can gain financial favours...tax avoidance by large companies while pensioners are being landed with huge tax bills(through no fault of their own).......because HMRC can't do their sums right - and threatening to send bailiffs in if the tax isn't paid......but if you are Vodafone or Topshop.....you won't be hounded because your accounts are offshore and so therefore don't pay the dues that they should.

How can we, the little ordinary people get our point across if democratic process is ignored?

Wynonie Harris 21-12-2011 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 957464)
the ills of this country started on the 6th May 2010, when it was actually 1st May 1997

A little quote which effectively illustrates the blindness of those who wear political blinkers of EITHER variety. The ills of this country didn't start on either of those dates, it's something which has crept up on us over a much longer period, aided and abetted by BOTH parties...and we've allowed it to happen. :(

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2011 20:13

How can you stop things happening if democratic process is no longer effective?

You could say that the withdrawal of my vote has allowed it to happen, but I didn't see my vote as having any power whatsoever...because there is no-one listening....and it doesn't matter how hard you shout....you are wasting your time and energy if there is no-one listening.

Eric 21-12-2011 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 957464)
Eric if you listen to C'mon and any of is little bunch of cronies (2) the ills of this country started on the 6th May 2010, when it was actually 1st May 1997, remember things can only get better, now we're paying £45 billion in interest every year alone, on reckless spending, but its hard to understand sat in a log cabin accross the pond;)

Point is Jaysay, I do listen ... I may not agree all the time, but I don't dismiss his points because of who he is. And we do have similar problems over here (and I wish I could afford a log cabin, those things cost an arm and a leg:eek::D) Some folks consider buying 80 F-35s is a little profligate ... or spending billions on new prisons at a time when the crime rate is taking a nose-dive. Conservatives over here believe that money spent on subsidizing day care, increasing pensions, expanding health care etc is a waste.

cmonstanley 21-12-2011 20:56

same over here highest unemployment,highest homeless increase,highest re-posessions,highest borrowing[when they said they would reduce it will soon be added by the highest death figures on our coastline by shutting down coastguards DRIFTING FERRY HIGHLIGHTS JUST HOW DANGEROUS TORY COASTGUARD CUTS ARE | Russell Brown MP frigates having to travel 400 miles to intercept russian navy British Destroyer ship intercepted the Russian Convoys << update news today immigration at its highest when they promised to reduce actually they are doing nothing as they got rid of half of the staff welcome to the money saving tories Redundant and retired border staff return to cope with Games rush | News ;)

garinda 21-12-2011 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957499)
same over here highest unemployment,highest homeless increase,highest re-posessions,highest borrowing[when they said they would reduce it will soon be added by the highest death figures on our coastline by shutting down coastguards DRIFTING FERRY HIGHLIGHTS JUST HOW DANGEROUS TORY COASTGUARD CUTS ARE | Russell Brown MP frigates having to travel 400 miles to intercept russian navy British Destroyer ship intercepted the Russian Convoys << update news today immigration at its highest when they promised to reduce actually they are doing nothing as they got rid of half of the staff welcome to the money saving tories Redundant and retired border staff return to cope with Games rush | News ;)

If I squint my eyes at that, I can see what looks like Fagin's face in the middle of it.

cmonstanley 21-12-2011 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 957478)
The other maddening thing is, that we are led to believe we can influence the way our country is governed, by exercising democratic process...voting......and before Mancie comes on here and tells me that I am not allowed an opinion because I did not vote.........
I didn't vote because it feels like it is a worthless process...because none of the political parties is prepared to listen to the fears and anxieties of the electorate.....

The uncontrolled immigration, the human rights act which seems to protect the criminals rights, but leave the victims not only without the same right the criminals want, but traumatised by the crime too.

The sleaze and corruption in government....which seems to go unpunished, the cosying up to big business(by all parties - not just the tories) so that they can gain financial favours...tax avoidance by large companies while pensioners are being landed with huge tax bills(through no fault of their own).......because HMRC can't do their sums right - and threatening to send bailiffs in if the tax isn't paid......but if you are Vodafone or Topshop.....you won't be hounded because your accounts are offshore and so therefore don't pay the dues that they should.

How can we, the little ordinary people get our point across if democratic process is ignored?

its your democratic right not to vote but i think a campaign should be started to reduce the deposit you have to pay to stand for parliament and the local councils so more parties can afford to enter the fray;)

Eric 21-12-2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957499)

One thing I don't understand is the UK government's cuts to the military. :confused: On this side of the Atlantic, the military is the darling of conservatives, American Repblicans in particular .... Canadian supposi -tories also tend to increase funding to the military, at the expense, of course, of education, health care, welfare, First Nations, etc. I've read of the cuts to the Royal Navy, and to the Army and the Royal Air Force. Our conservatives, on the other hand, have pumped billions into the purchase of new multi-role fighters for the RCAF, and have allocated over $50 billion for the construction of new warships. Also the issue of border staff and the conflict with the police forces ... border security and policing are usually major tory concerns.

garinda 21-12-2011 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957529)
its your democratic right not to vote but i think a campaign should be started to reduce the deposit you have to pay to stand for parliament and the local councils so more parties can afford to enter the fray;)

The normal array of nutters don't seem to struggle too much, raising their deposit.

You standing for the Scared Witless Ex-Accrington Residents - Forced Away By The Dog Stabber party?

cmonstanley 21-12-2011 22:46

:D:D:D you just wont let it lie,down boy down boy:D:D

Eric 21-12-2011 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by groove (Post 957435)
Politics politics yawn yawn bloody yawn

Actually, the points I am addressing are the illogic of ad hominem arguments, and the weakness of simplistic analogies. Have a nice sleep:rolleyes:

garinda 21-12-2011 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957537)
:D:D:D you just wont let it lie,down boy down boy:D:D

Yup, you saying you knew you were right to leave the area, after a suspect attack on a dog, will stay with you for ever.

http://deadfriends.mindscaper.eu/ima...cons_knife.gif

...and as you lie on your matress of heather, in your wee bothy, remember, don't have nightmares.

A fear of dog stabbers is for life, not just for Hogmany.

;):D

jaysay 22-12-2011 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 957481)
A little quote which effectively illustrates the blindness of those who wear political blinkers of EITHER variety. The ills of this country didn't start on either of those dates, it's something which has crept up on us over a much longer period, aided and abetted by BOTH parties...and we've allowed it to happen. :(

Just a couple of facts about modern political happenings Wyn, on May 1st 1997 the incoming Labour Government inherited the best financial outlook ever inherited by an incoming government in history. On the 6th May 2010 the incoming Government inherited the worst political outlook in history with the country being nearly bankrupt, that's not being blinkered that's fact;)

jaysay 22-12-2011 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 957531)
The normal array of nutters don't seem to struggle too much, raising their deposit.

You standing for the Scared Witless Ex-Accrington Residents - Forced Away By The Dog Stabber party?

There is a proviso to be a member of that party Rindi you have to be a jock:D

jaysay 22-12-2011 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 957538)
Actually, the points I am addressing are the illogic of ad hominem arguments, and the weakness of simplistic analogies. Have a nice sleep:rolleyes:

I wouldn't have read Grooves post if you hadn't quoted it Eric, but if you don't like politics its just a tad stupid reading a thread entitled Tories Groove, doh:rolleyes:

Lucysgirl 22-12-2011 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 957494)
How can you stop things happening if democratic process is no longer effective?

You could say that the withdrawal of my vote has allowed it to happen, but I didn't see my vote as having any power whatsoever...because there is no-one listening....and it doesn't matter how hard you shout....you are wasting your time and energy if there is no-one listening.

I would have thought any prime minister of a democratic country whose population doesn't bother to turn out to vote, must have a weak hand when trying to negotiate terms with other world leaders.

cashman 22-12-2011 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 957594)
I would have thought any prime minister of a democratic country whose population doesn't bother to turn out to vote, must have a weak hand when trying to negotiate terms with other world leaders.

I would have thought the real question is- Why have people stopped bothering to turn out to vote? the answer aint rocket science.:rolleyes:

Less 22-12-2011 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 957594)

Not at all weak, that is what is wonderful about democracy, if you have a population with 30 million potential voters, but less than half vote, it doesn't matter if you have 100% of those bothering to vote voting for you or only 51% you have a majority and all the power of your Country is there to back you up.

(Mind you, if it's only 51% there is a chance they may pay a little more attention to not upsetting you, they don't want an election, the money's better than in the real world).

Eric 22-12-2011 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 957582)
Just a couple of facts about modern political happenings Wyn, on May 1st 1997 the incoming Labour Government inherited the best financial outlook ever inherited by an incoming government in history. On the 6th May 2010 the incoming Government inherited the worst political outlook in history with the country being nearly bankrupt, that's not being blinkered that's fact;)

And nothing else happened in those, let me see, oh, thirteen years? A major global economic meltdown, maybe:confused: I seem to remember reading about something like that.:rolleyes: It seemed to hit the banking and financial centres pretty hard. Also seems that Britain had busily been sticking all its economic eggs into one basket, with an area of one square mile. Or am I wrong in thinking that about 30% of the British economy is accounted for by the City?

Eric 22-12-2011 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 957585)
I wouldn't have read Grooves post if you hadn't quoted it Eric, but if you don't like politics its just a tad stupid reading a thread entitled Tories Groove, doh:rolleyes:

Don't disturb him; he's sleeping;)

Margaret Pilkington 22-12-2011 14:26

I don't know what percentage of business the financial area of the city accounts for, but it pays some 54 billion in taxes.

And the incumbents knew of the banking crisis for seven months before the brown stuff hit the fan. the brits had been encouraged to live on their credit cards for ages......there was not a week went by without some mail shot that offered credit, without checking if you could pay back what you were spending.......the whole thing was allowed to go unchecked.......even the FSA have held up their hands and said that they mis-managed the situation. It isn't just one thing...it is a complex series of things....and I'm not sure there is a leader in the world with enough balls to tackle the mutiple problems.

Anyway, this they did this, so we'll pay them back by doing this, is schoolyard antics(with France and Sarkozy in mind) is a waste of time and energy...what should be happening is decisive action.........and I'm not sure that pouring money in, to save the Euro is the right thing to do.

Eric 22-12-2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 957624)
I don't know what percentage of business the financial area of the city accounts for, but it pays some 54 billion in taxes.

And the incumbents knew of the banking crisis for seven months before the brown stuff hit the fan. the brits had been encouraged to live on their credit cards for ages......there was not a week went by without some mail shot that offered credit, without checking if you could pay back what you were spending.......the whole thing was allowed to go unchecked.......even the FSA have held up their hands and said that they mis-managed the situation. It isn't just one thing...it is a complex series of things....and I'm not sure there is a leader in the world with enough balls to tackle the mutiple problems.

Anyway, this they did this, so we'll pay them back by doing this, is schoolyard antics(with France and Sarkozy in mind) is a waste of time and energy...what should be happening is decisive action.........and I'm not sure that pouring money in, to save the Euro is the right thing to do.

Are you saying that the government was responsible for ordinary Britons' abusing credit cards:confused: It's not that uncommon. The folks that you have a special relationship with got into it big time with NINJA loans. When well-paid industrial jobs are shipped off to other countries, the quick fix is to replace a decent, living wage with easy credit. Of course, there are countries with Bank Acts that limit banks to makig consumer loans only to those who have a good chance of repaying the money.

I agree with you on the Euro ... to use a military analogy, it is always a mistake to reinforce failure.

Margaret Pilkington 22-12-2011 17:28

No, Of course not Eric...but there seemed to a general acceptance that debt was alright...in fact that it was good to have some debt. A maxim that I haven't ever really admired or aspired to. I was once told that my credit rating would be rubbish because I had no track record of Credit......even paying off my mortgage 5 years before it was required to be repaid.

There was a lot of mismanagement of money by the banks....lending money for mortgages on the assumption that the housing market would stay buoyant.......which it did for a long time......but lending 110% on a property puts you in negative equity right from the start....and lending to couples who were cohabiting...

Ok, I know that marriage is no guarantee that folk will stay together, but I think if you are married, then perhaps you don't see your partnership as quite so 'disposable'.
As I said, there were many things that were wrong....and I daresay that these were known and were 'risked' because it was the line of least defence.......anyway, it is as sure as eggs are eggs we are going to be paying for these MCU's(monumental cock ups) for a very long time to come.

As for the Euro, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the New Year sees it dead in the water...and all the money put in to save it, will have gone down the gurgler...all to save face!

jaysay 22-12-2011 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 957621)
And nothing else happened in those, let me see, oh, thirteen years? A major global economic meltdown, maybe:confused: I seem to remember reading about something like that.:rolleyes: It seemed to hit the banking and financial centres pretty hard. Also seems that Britain had busily been sticking all its economic eggs into one basket, with an area of one square mile. Or am I wrong in thinking that about 30% of the British economy is accounted for by the City?

Well lets face it our Gordon, you know the, Iron Chancellor, decided to ease banking regs, sold a few bars of gold at rock bottom prices, invested highly in PFI for building schools and hospitals so that know were paying an arm and a leg for these buildings, ya shiny new buildings look great on opening day three cheers for Gordon, the problems arise when the buildings have to be paid for, well its when he's long gone writing his memoirs and making a nice living like his mate Tony.;)

jaysay 22-12-2011 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 957622)
Don't disturb him; he's sleeping;)

Its okay Eric he won't be reading this thread, politics bore him:rolleyes:

cmonstanley 22-12-2011 18:16

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm The Guardian on Facebook | Facebook#_=_

jaysay 22-12-2011 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957677)

Must be the worst post yet:rolleyes:

cashman 22-12-2011 21:28

Whilst accepting the belts must be tightened, seems funny to me, our news shows nowt at all, about how people in Europe are reacting to "Pension Reform":confused: I have just watched Belgian Firemen covering a Ministery Building wi Foam,cos brassed off about that very subject, looked very spectacular, funny theres been no mention of this,nor film on our news.:rolleyes:;)

Mancie 22-12-2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 957716)
Whilst accepting the belts must be tightened, seems funny to me, our news shows nowt at all, about how people in Europe are reacting to "Pension Reform":confused: I have just watched Belgian Firemen covering a Ministery Building wi Foam,cos brassed off about that very subject, looked very spectacular, funny theres been no mention of this,nor film on our news.:rolleyes:;)

I reckon it's because the media here are not interested..we had protests over cuts that our media reported as anarchy..we had a one day strike and peaceful marches by unions and the media called them nasty militants.
there's the difference.

cashman 22-12-2011 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 957719)
I reckon it's because the media here are not interested..we had protests over cuts that our media reported as anarchy..we had a one day strike and peaceful marches by unions and the media called them nasty militants.
there's the difference.

Or perhaps they aint allowed to be interested? after all they must have pensions as well?

Mancie 22-12-2011 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 957725)
Or perhaps they aint allowed to be interested? after all they must have pensions as well?

Maybe..I reckon this lot knew even before they gained power who they could pick on regarding pensions and cuts..I think they will steer clear of Firefighters, Nurses and other service workers that the public hold in high regard.. but even that may change if they can manipulate the media (or vis versa ) into choosing those as the next Target . :)

garinda 22-12-2011 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 957730)
Maybe..I reckon this lot knew even before they gained power who they could pick on regarding pensions and cuts..I think they will steer clear of Firefighters, Nurses and other service workers that the public hold in high regard.. but even that may change if they can manipulate the media into choosing those as the next Target .

'Opinion polls on voting intention suggest the Conservatives are continuing to slightly out-perform Labour, but the Lib Dems now find themselves neck and neck with UKIP and most people don't seem to trust Ed Miliband on the economy.'

General Election 2012? Opinion Poll Gains For Tories Prompt Speculation

http://www.emofaces.com/en/smilies/e...e-animated.gif

garinda 22-12-2011 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 957732)
'Opinion polls on voting intention suggest the Conservatives are continuing to slightly out-perform Labour, but the Lib Dems now find themselves neck and neck with UKIP and most people don't seem to trust Ed Miliband on the economy.'

Might be another coalition government.

With UKIP holding the balance of power.

:rolleyes:

Mancie 22-12-2011 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 957732)

No surprise there.. the media reports of Cameron's perceived lone man standing up for the British Nation against the whole of Europe can stir even the sun readers into action.. but Cameron said he had used our useless veto to defend our financial institutions.. I think Magaret P said the the financial institusions raise £54 billion paying tax..last month this government gave those banks £70 billion in relief...now thats not a bad tax return.:)

cmonstanley 22-12-2011 23:14

the tories are going to sign a watered down european treaty;) so its the same old tories all talk ,like the speech britains a christian country why did he say it, who advised him to say it ,is there some reason for it does he think the british electorate so thick as he adds more people to the dole queue thats not very christian. all talk and no substance same old tories;)

garinda 22-12-2011 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957737)
like the speech britains a christian country

Jesus wouldn't vote for what now passes as the Labour party.

;)

Mind you, I don't think he'd bother going to any of the many different churches either, that were founded in his name.

:rolleyes:

andrewb 23-12-2011 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957737)
the tories are going to sign a watered down european treaty;) so its the same old tories all talk ,

I'd rather he didn't sign it but you are being a bit daft. Before the summit he said he wouldn't sign if he didn't get the things he wanted that were in Britain's interest. They didn't let him have those opt-outs so he refused to sign.

If he goes back and gets what he wanted in the first place, how is that 'all talk'?

jaysay 23-12-2011 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 957802)
I'd rather he didn't sign it but you are being a bit daft. Before the summit he said he wouldn't sign if he didn't get the things he wanted that were in Britain's interest. They didn't let him have those opt-outs so he refused to sign.

If he goes back and gets what he wanted in the first place, how is that 'all talk'?

Take no notice of him Andrew he drinks to much fire water;)

accyman 23-12-2011 11:37

to be quite frank this thread is basicaly a lets pick at the tories thread and when it was first created i thought fair play teh tories are a set of theiving dirtbags with only the interests of teh rich at heart.

Although this remains true the bitter pill of a tory leadership has become more palletable due to teh fact the alternative of a labour leadership is a lot more horrorfying.

we have a local labour MP who has screwed over his constituants and stabbed them in the back over europe and a local labour council that has turned tail and ran to the hills to hide once a question they didnt like was asked.Then we have ED milliband as labour leader who people simply dont like for a variety of reasons so will never be electable.

i think labour want the tories in power because they dont want to deal with the mess thats been made so have put forward tehir weakest candidtae possible and have their MP's act like arsewipes.

They are all crooks and look out for their own interests before ours its just a matter of choosing the less evil of teh crooks and as shocking as it sounds right now Tories are the lesser evil.

Im off to wash mi gob out because although true it still leaves a nasty taste when said :(

cmonstanley 23-12-2011 19:21

and the tories plan a by starving the economy of money has claimed more victims BBC News - La Senza to enter administration in UK BBC News - Barratts Priceless shoes: Closure of 18 stores announced

cmonstanley 23-12-2011 19:27

de ja vu David Cameron pledges to protect Falklands in the face of Argentina tension - Telegraph ohh by the way dave how can we when we have no aircraft carriers hardly any navy more talk he cant back up;)

Margaret Pilkington 23-12-2011 19:28

don't we have ICBM instead?

accyman 23-12-2011 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957906)
de ja vu David Cameron pledges to protect Falklands in the face of Argentina tension - Telegraph ohh by the way dave how can we when we have no aircraft carriers hardly any navy more talk he cant back up;)

america has plenty and now there has been oil found in teh falklands america will not have any problem taking it from us , i mean helping us ;)

cmonstanley 23-12-2011 20:02

dont think so they refused last time so why would they help us this time.we are not a super power anymore and america wouldnt want to have a war on its own doorstep;)

accyman 23-12-2011 20:02

ahh but we didnt know there was oil there the last time ;)

america will do almost anything for oil in the way a $10 whore will do anything lol

or so i hear err um lol

cmonstanley 23-12-2011 20:07

time will tell hope they dont follow the daily mail way by sending a nuclear sub. they are idiots:eek:

Wynonie Harris 23-12-2011 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957919)
time will tell hope they dont follow the daily mail way by sending a nuclear sub. they are idiots:eek:

Seem to recall that your precious Labour lot had a penchant for invading countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, especially the slimey Blair creature who was pathetically eager to please his American masters.

accyman's right - if there's black gold involved, the yanks'll only to eager to "help" us!

cmonstanley 23-12-2011 20:27

no matter how sleazy blair was he didnt threaten anybody with a nuke;) still have an open mind about the yanks helping us too close to home;)

Wynonie Harris 23-12-2011 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 957924)
no matter how sleazy blair was he didnt threaten anybody with a nuke;) still have an open mind about the yanks helping us too close to home;)

...and neither will Cameron, because the yanks wouldn't allow him. Let's face it, if the yanks wanted to, they could close down the Argentinian forces as easily as swatting a fly.

Eric 23-12-2011 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 957806)
Take no notice of him Andrew he drinks to much fire water;)

Seems pretty calm, sober, and sane to me. And quite restrained too: on the City-as-responible-taxpayers thing, he was kind enough not to speculate on the amount of tax those scumbags hide in tax havens.

cmonstanley 23-12-2011 20:54

just an interesting article the bit that says argentina wont be alone and obama,s anti colonial stance dont know if its true or merry yandering:confused: Once again, Britain must show Argentina that it is a serious nation - Telegraph

accyman 23-12-2011 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley
Once again, Britain must show Argentina that it is a serious nation

isnt beating them at football enough ? :D

Eric 23-12-2011 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 957928)
...and neither will Cameron, because the yanks wouldn't allow him. Let's face it, if the yanks wanted to, they could close down the Argentinian forces as easily as swatting a fly.

Keep in mind that their last successful military adventure was the crushing of Grenada;):D

jaysay 24-12-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 957923)
Seem to recall that your precious Labour lot had a penchant for invading countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, especially the slimey Blair creature who was pathetically eager to please his American masters.

accyman's right - if there's black gold involved, the yanks'll only to eager to "help" us!

Ya but the thing is Wyn The Falkland Islands are British Sovereign Territories Iraq and Afghanistan aren't, and you were very kind only calling Blair slimy, he's a lying slimy git

jaysay 24-12-2011 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 957931)
Seems pretty calm, sober, and sane to me. And quite restrained too: on the City-as-responible-taxpayers thing, he was kind enough not to speculate on the amount of tax those scumbags hide in tax havens.

You mean the same scumbags who Labour did little or nothing about whilst in power;)

widnes viking 27-12-2011 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 956181)
Because people are now booking holidays on line instead of travel agents, but your too thick to see that

Woops just been on BBC News that bookings in high street travel agencies were actually up in 2011. Appears you insult may now be reversed always the danger of the extremely rude approach I'm afraid.