Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

Margaret Pilkington 27-03-2019 19:47

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

I also voted for him....only once....Never would I repeat THAT mistake.
He has been as much use as a chocolate teapot.
He is more interested in jauntiness around the place looking after people other than those who put him where he is.
He has forgotten his roots...or maybe he has seen how the elite(or those who consider themselves the elite) and wants a slice of that for himself.
Not dedicated to his constituents.

nicola68 27-03-2019 20:18

I voted for him each time he stood. I also feel partly to blame for Margaret Pilkington voting for this waste of space. I cannot wait for the next General Election, hopefully, he will have that smirk wiped clean off his face.

Margaret Pilkington 27-03-2019 20:28

What Nicola means is that we have lots of discussions....political and otherwise....it was she who 'bigged' this man up to me.
Telling me he was a down to earth chap....someone who had held down a job of work in the real world....knew what the worries and anxieties of the local people were....because he knew many of them....lived in Hodder street at the time.....all the things you would imagine would make him perfect as a local MP.

How wrong we all were. I feel doubly duped by our MP....I expected better.
I fell duped by the people who govern us, for the promises they made.
'no deal better than a bad deal' rings in my ears.
Yet here they are about to vote in a deal that will NOT see us leaving...but being tied in to an organisation that is corrupt and undemocratic.

Well, at least I am at the bum end of my life.

Margaret Pilkington 27-03-2019 20:51

Oh, and if the man is lurking reading this and is dismayed at how he is perceived....he is nowhere near as dismayed as the Schmucks who voted him into the P.o W.
Those people he deems not educated enough to put a cross in a box.
His dismay will only be as a flea bite on an elephant to what we feel....betrayed.

Ryewolf90 27-03-2019 21:23

Well, what a surprise none of the options put forward had a majority, what a complete waste of time.

Ryewolf90 27-03-2019 22:26

What's more disappointing and disturbing is that closest defeated options actually involved closer ties to the EU than the PM's withdrawal deal....

Ryewolf90 27-03-2019 22:31

This is how the Hyndburn MP Voted tonight:

Graham P Jones

Voting record on the following Brexit proposals:

Against No-deal: Leaving the EU on 12 April without a deal (John Baron's proposal - 160 for, 400 against)
Did not vote Common Market 2.0: Remaining in the European single market and seeking a temporary customs union with the EU (Nick Boles' proposal - 188 for, 283 against)
Against EFTA and EEA: Remaining in the European single market but not forming a customs union with the EU (George Eustice's proposal - 65 for, 377 against)
For Customs union: Seeking a UK-wide customs union with the EU (Ken Clarke's proposal - 264 for, 272 against)
For Labour's alternative plan: Negotiating changes to the withdrawal agreement so that it includes protections to workers' rights, a permanent customs union, and close alignment to the single market (Jeremy Corbyn's proposal - 237 for, 307 against)
Did not vote Revoke Article 50: Cancelling Brexit if the UK gets within days of leaving the EU without a deal (Joanna Cherry's proposal - 184 for, 293 against)
For Second referendum: Holding another public vote to confirm any withdrawal agreement agreed by Parliament (Margaret Beckett's proposal - 268 for, 295 against)
Against Standstill arrangement: Seeking a tariff-free trade agreement with the EU that will last for two years, during which time Britain will contribute to the EU budget (Marcus Fysh's proposal - 139 for, 422 against)

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1226096)
Well, what a surprise none of the options put forward had a majority, what a complete waste of time.

Well, it might be a political waste of time, but it might take us nearer to the exit with a default position....which is in effect what should be happening tomorrow.

Those men and women who are currently elected to reflect the wishes of their constituents should be ashamed of themselves because each one of these tedious processes(none of which so far has had a decisive influence) has been a stab in the heart of democracy.
The representatives are NOT there to fulfil their own agenda.

And while I am having a morning rant....Donald Tusk should keep his nose out...and his smart mouth SHUT. His comments are particularly unhelpful....inflammatory even.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1226100)
This is how the Hyndburn MP Voted tonight:

Graham P Jones

Voting record on the following Brexit proposals:

Against No-deal: Leaving the EU on 12 April without a deal (John Baron's proposal - 160 for, 400 against)
Did not vote Common Market 2.0: Remaining in the European single market and seeking a temporary customs union with the EU (Nick Boles' proposal - 188 for, 283 against)
Against EFTA and EEA: Remaining in the European single market but not forming a customs union with the EU (George Eustice's proposal - 65 for, 377 against)
For Customs union: Seeking a UK-wide customs union with the EU (Ken Clarke's proposal - 264 for, 272 against)
For Labour's alternative plan: Negotiating changes to the withdrawal agreement so that it includes protections to workers' rights, a permanent customs union, and close alignment to the single market (Jeremy Corbyn's proposal - 237 for, 307 against)
Did not vote Revoke Article 50: Cancelling Brexit if the UK gets within days of leaving the EU without a deal (Joanna Cherry's proposal - 184 for, 293 against)
For Second referendum: Holding another public vote to confirm any withdrawal agreement agreed by Parliament (Margaret Beckett's proposal - 268 for, 295 against)
Against Standstill arrangement: Seeking a tariff-free trade agreement with the EU that will last for two years, during which time Britain will contribute to the EU budget (Marcus Fysh's proposal - 139 for, 422 against)

No surprises there then.
#chocolateteapotMP

cashman 28-03-2019 07:59

That Ryewolf explains what a complete Barsteward he has become, and to think i used to hold him in high regard.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 09:13

Cashy...you won't be sucked in a second time....so you have learned something there.

Less 28-03-2019 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226113)
Cashy...you won't be sucked in a second time....so you have learned something there.

I just hope the rest of his constituents have learnt the same lesson, or are they the ill-educated that shouldn't be allowed to vote that he was talking about before the referendum?:icon_argu

cashman 28-03-2019 11:11

Theres only 1 ill educated as far as i'm concerned, thats our M.P.who refused to act on the choice of his constituents,

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1226118)
Theres only 1 ill educated as far as i'm concerned, thats our M.P.who refused to act on the choice of his constituents,

Cashy, I have to disagree with you on that....it is not education that our representative lacks...it is respect for those who elected him to fulfil his obligations.
It is ethics that he lacks...he has traded the respect of local people to satisfy his ego...and no doubt his bank balance.
No one ever leaves politics as a pauper.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1226117)
I just hope the rest of his constituents have learnt the same lesson, or are they the ill-educated that shouldn't be allowed to vote that he was talking about before the referendum?:icon_argu

Less, I hope so too...alas there are some who would follow a donkey as long as it wore a Labour rosette.
Those people will alway be prepared to swallow his guff and give him another chance...mainly because their ability to see is better than their ability to think.

cashman 28-03-2019 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226123)
Less, I hope so too...alas there are some who would follow a donkey as long as it wore a Labour rosette.
Those people will alway be prepared to swallow his guff and give him another chance...mainly because their ability to see is better than their ability to think.

Aye but seems to me like he thinks all are like that? maybe he will have one hell of a shock come next elections? i certainly hope thats the case.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 11:54

I sincerely hope so too Cashy.

cashman 28-03-2019 13:19

His voting record last night clearly displays he has completely ignored EVERY constituent that voted LEAVE, how Graham has the gall to remain M.P.for Hyndburn completely baffles me, its hard faced at the best.:mad:

Ryewolf90 28-03-2019 13:21

Looks like the MP's are up to some political chicanery to get a third 'Meaning Vote' for Mays deal on Friday by splitting the Withdrawal Agreement (which is legally binding) and the Political Declaration.

EU Withdrawal Act is very clear: "the withdrawal agreement may be ratified only if...the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship have been approved by a resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown."

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 13:49

something in the region of two thirds of the MP's do not want to leave...so they will use every trick in the book to thwart the vote to leave.
Every time one of these men or women goes against the electorate, they actively betray democracy.
They are a disgusting set of traitors(I cannot put what I really think of them...it would get me banned).
Come the next election many of these will be on the bones of their bum.

I can see much civil unrest in the tea leaves.

As for Donald Tusk...it is time he took his nose out of UK business...the inflammatory goon(again sanitised to swerve a ban).

Ryewolf90 28-03-2019 16:39

"MPs will be asked to vote tomorrow on the withdrawal agreement, the divorce deal with the EU"

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 17:39

The MP's are stealing their salaries...they are certainly NOT worth the money.
A shower of Fisons.

Ryewolf90 28-03-2019 19:30

"So tomorrow MPs will vote on whether to endorse the withdrawal agreement the UK negotiated with the EU back in November - but what is it?

Well...it's the 599 page legal document that sets out how the UK will leave the EU.

It authorises a transition period until the end of 2020, during which the UK will need to abide by all EU rules, but will lose membership of its institutions.

It also sets out details of the money the UK will pay to settle its legal obligations, and of a new UK-EU "joint committee" that will police the deal and any disputes."

So even when we're out, we're still in..... for almost another 19 months.....

Exile on Spencer St 28-03-2019 20:01

Should enough snivelling, self-serving, grubby MPs vote for May’s treasonous treaty tomorrow, it will trap this country in the EU for much longer than 19 months.
Which is precisely what the WA is designed to do.

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/the-w...k-into-the-eu/

We’ll be in London tomorrow on the Leave Means Leave gathering.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 20:46

Also any laws that are passed during this time(we have no say over their formulation) will have to be adhered to. (Knowing the peevish nature of the EU and their desire to punish us, there could be mayhem during this transitional period. Laws could be passed that cannot be revoked....and that are detrimental to us) I detest the EU and all it stands for.
This deal is NOT leaving....except in name only.
And with the backstop(the EU are never going to change this...it is their power chip) in place we could be tied in forever....regardless of the 'temporary' format...if all members of the EU do not agree, then we cannot escape.....which is why Michel Barnier and JCJunker were grinning from ear to ear when TM came away with this 'good deal'

Ryewolf90 28-03-2019 20:47

Several hard line Brexiteers MP's have now said they will vote for it...!!! I mean what has changed from the first two times? One MP, whose name I can't think of at the moment, called the deal a 'turd' has said he will vote for it.....

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1226142)
Should enough snivelling, self-serving, grubby MPs vote for May’s treasonous treaty tomorrow, it will trap this country in the EU for much longer than 19 months.
Which is precisely what the WA is designed to do.

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/the-w...k-into-the-eu/

Frightening read...but a lot of it I was already aware of.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1226146)
Several hard line Brexiteers MP's have now said they will vote for it...!!! I mean what has changed from the first two times? One MP, whose name I can't think of at the moment, called the deal a 'turd' has said he will vote for it.....

Nothing in the document has changed, but I think that many of these people have got Brexit fatigue.....and are willing to do whatever will get them out of the 'groundhog' day feeling....but by doing this they handcuff the population to an organisation that(I believe) does us harm....and is negative towards us.
We do not fit in the EU.
I want to be OUT....right out.
No single market, no customs union, no ECJ, no freedom of movement and those in Brussels will never accept those things.

Ryewolf90 28-03-2019 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226148)
No single market, no customs union, no ECJ, no freedom of movement and those in Brussels will never accept those things.

The problem is many of the options they voted on yesterday, despite being voted against, do actually tie us closer to the EU but without any say and doesn't back the will of the people to leave.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2019 21:41

Yes...I see that....and for someone who is so ill educated....and those in the P.of W think they know far more about these issue....why can I see it, but they cannot.
How come all this scary stuff is being kept under wraps?
Well, I am asking a question that I know the answer to.
Their aim was to sleep walk nations into this superstate....where nationalities, patriotism count for nothing....where it is desired to form closer political and fiscal union....where we are told to 'sit down, be quiet and be grateful for what we are given'
And our menfolk through the ages gave their blood for this??

I don't know if those staunch Brexiteers in Parliament have been bribed( certainly would not be voting for such a deal...myprinciples would not allow it)..or what promises have been made...but you can bet your life it is not anything that will benefit the common people.

Just let any of these people come to my door canvassing for votes,,,,for ANYTHING....they will get such a hostile greeting.

Ryewolf90 28-03-2019 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226150)
I don't know if those staunch Brexiteers in Parliament have been bribed( certainly would not be voting for such a deal...myprinciples would not allow it)..or what promises have been made..

I think in the case of Boris Johnson - another who's gone over to saying he will vote for the PM's deal - it's a chance at being Prime Minister after TM resigns....

AccyMad 29-03-2019 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1226152)
I think in the case of Boris Johnson - another who's gone over to saying he will vote for the PM's deal - it's a chance at being Prime Minister after TM resigns....

I agree, but I think if that happened it would be the equivalent of going from the frying pan into the fire - I shudder at the thought

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 06:41

I want to be wearing a Black armband today....with a red stripe through the middle of it.
A black armband to signify the death of democracy and the red stripe to show that it was murdered by our autocratic political classes.

Today we should have been celebrating our freedom...and we are not.
I should have been toasting our freedom with a bottle of Vintage Champagne that saved for something momentous.....I won't be doing that either.

All because the 17.4 million people have been conspired against by a remain parliament, with remain MP's and remain civil servants.
They are remain because it means they can coast....take their foot off the gas....the rules are made in Brussels for them to hand down to us...the plebs.

Democracy....Rest In Pieces.

cashman 29-03-2019 07:28

What should happen if this vote today goes down which many think it will not win, is Teresa May should tell the E.U. sorry we are are leaving on the default position NO DEAL. she always said no deal is better than a bad deal, and personally i'm damn sure it is. obviously she will not do that cos shes lied all along this brexit.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 08:43

The goons in Brussels have smiles that can be seen from the moon.....they can see things falling into place in exactly the way the planned....in fact better than they could have hoped for.
A country that is divided and fearful is easier to control and will take any kind of humiliation.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1226168)
What should happen if this vote today goes down which many think it will not win, is Teresa May should tell the E.U. sorry we are are leaving on the default position NO DEAL. she always said no deal is better than a bad deal, and personally i'm damn sure it is. obviously she will not do that cos shes lied all along this brexit.

Cashy, there are so many powerful people in high places who can subvert democracy that this will not happen.

Democracy is dead and Resting in Pieces.
Courage is dead and resting beside democracy.
Traitors all of them!

Ryewolf90 29-03-2019 13:51

MPs have voted by 286 to 344 to reject the government’s withdrawal agreement.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 14:20

Quelle surprise!

cashman 29-03-2019 15:24

Its a great pity Guy Fawkes cocked up.

Ryewolf90 29-03-2019 19:02

I wonder what is going to happen next? A lot of pundits have been saying there's basically 3 choices:

Revoke Article 50
Ask for a much longer extension (which would include the European Elections)
Leave with no deal

cashman 29-03-2019 19:04

Think its rather obvious to me.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 19:38

If article 50 is revoked then that would be a betrayal of immense proportions.
A longer extension (with the useless appointment of MEP's)....I think the EU would sanction this if there was some plan as to how the impasse could be dealt with....I think that if there was not some plan in place(that satisfied the Goons in the EU) then this might be denied.

For myself...I hope we leave with no deal in two weeks time.

After all the options put forward showed no clear majority....and none of the MP's have put forward any viable alternatives I think that the EU are losing patience(for want of a better word).

There is also the possibility of a snap election....maybe even as soon as next week.

Though I think that there will be people currently in Westminster who are pooping their pants at this prospect.
The electorate have the cards marked.....and I think they will be very unforgiving.....but then maybe if the result does not meet with the approval of the political elite....they will want a 'best of three scenario'

I feel so disillusioned and politically homeless.

Ryewolf90 29-03-2019 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1226207)
Think its rather obvious to me.

I agree, it might be obvious to you and me, but these are MP's we're talking about.....

I've even heard options of bringing back TM's Withdrawal Deal (again) for another 'Meaningfull Vote' (this last one didn't count - I suppose we could call it MV2.5) but with a different Political Declaration based on some of the more popular options that were voted down on Wednesday, which Parliament will be doing indicative votes for next Monday and Wednesday.

So we might end up being even more closer tied to the EU than TM's half-in half-out deal.....

Ryewolf90 29-03-2019 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1226142)

How was London? It's been many years since I last went.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1226211)
I agree, it might be obvious to you and me, but these are MP's we're talking about....

You mean the intelligentsia?
Those who deemed us too thick to really know what we were voting for.

Have these people never played card games....dominoes?
Don't they realise that by taking NoDeal off the table they weaken their bargaining power....weaken their chances of success.

How is it that we thicko's can see what they cannot?
Unless of course it is selective blindness....like Nelson and 'I see no ships'.....or is all this foxtrotting contrived?
Has the PM been told by the goons on the other side of the channel, just how to play us like a fiddle.
These are all things that go through my head....and elevate my blood pressure a few more notches.

Do these educated people not know what they are trying to tie us into?
Have they not read the Lisbon treaty, the Barcelona treaty....the Coudenhove -Kalergi plan....do these documents not fill them with despair or could they not give a shiny you know what about the ordinary folk (and we ALL know the answer to that one)???.

I just want to hibernate....have someone waken me when we are OUT.....totally and utterly out...not this Hokey Cokey stuff.....with a glass of sparkling stuff to celebrate with.

Oh and looking at the March today...it gives lie to the myth that all those who voted to leave were knarly old burgers, close to dying....from what I have seen there seemed to be a mix of ages...and there seemed to be a lot of people....no not a million, but perhaps only a little short of the remainder numbers at their protest.

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2019 21:27

I would like to say a huge Thank You to those who dropped what they were doing today and went down to this protest...my heart was with you. Well Done

Ryewolf90 29-03-2019 22:01

Some sobering thoughts on how long we could be tied up with negotiations to leave the EU based on one of the last countries to leave the then EEC.

Greenland joined the then European Community in 1973 as part of the Kingdom of Denmark, after gaining autonomy in 1979 Greenland voted to leave the EEC in 1982, but it took until 1985 until negotiations were completed, following more than 100 meetings with EU officials.

“The negotiations were a surprisingly unpleasant job,” Lars Vesterbirk, Greenland's former representative to the EU who led the negotiations, told POLITICO. “The EU member states would not take us seriously because they were not willing to accept that you should or could leave.”

“At the time, you could become a member of the EU but you couldn’t leave,” Vesterbirk said.

Ryewolf90 29-03-2019 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226214)
I just want to hibernate....have someone waken me when we are OUT.....totally and utterly out.

You might be waiting some time, you'll be like Sleeping Beauty who falls into a sleep for a 100 years...:)

cashman 30-03-2019 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226214)
You mean the intelligentsia?
Those who deemed us too thick to really know what we were voting for.

Oh and looking at the March today...it gives lie to the myth that all those who voted to leave were knarly old burgers, close to dying....from what I have seen there seemed to be a mix of ages...and there seemed to be a lot of people....no not a million, but perhaps only a little short of the remainder numbers at their protest.

That million people was a complete take the pea outa the oiks it was a photo of back in 2012 copied and the film etc of some occasion to do with the queen, definate, someone put both photos on the net and they were identical, twas just another attempt to deceive the public.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 08:11

But the pictures of yesterday were genuine....right.
I was trying to make the point that the myth that the remainers put about is that leavers are old....ready for their coffins.
That young people who have more knowledge voted to stay.
The pictures of the Leave means Leave March looked to contain a mix of ages.

That odious man Terry Christian has brought out a tea towel with depictions of old folk on it with some comment about us dying off....and othe high profile people have either said or alluded to the same thing.

This is both insensitive and inflammatory in a situation which needs no accelerant to create flames.
There is going to be a lot of civil unrest in the future....whatever the outcome is.

The EU is toxic and the sooner it crumbles the better it will be....especially for the people in Italy, Greece Spain and Portugal....they are the 'poor relations' of the EU.

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 08:16

https://mr.bingo/brexit-tea-towel/

This is the tea Towel that Terry Christian was promoting (it seems he was only promoting it...he had not produced it himself as I first thought....he is still a grade one tossed)on the Jeremy Vine show earlier in the week.

cashman 30-03-2019 08:16

Terry Christian is nothing but an odious piece of dog muck, the fact hes a mancunian says it all.

Exile on Spencer St 30-03-2019 08:29

1 Attachment(s)
Was too tired to post last night but the London rally was worth going on. You won’t hear or read how many were there, at least not accurate figures, but there were enough to fill Parliament Square and surrounding streets.

By the way, as to the actual numbers on the earlier Remoaners march, the article below suggests the BBC (1 million) and the Groaniad (2m) may just have been a tad exaggerated. I wonder why?
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/brex...ote-crowd-size

There were some good speakers from all sides (and none) of the political spectrum : Claire Fox, Kate Hoey, Tim Martin, Brendan O’Neill, Peter Bone, Mark Francois, and, of course, NIgel Farage.
Best sound bite of the day was that May’s deal is ‘Remain Minus’.

And, Margaret, you were right in that there was a complete mix of people. Obviously, being a working day there was a majority of older voters but lots of younger folks. There was also Frexit group of our fellow prisoners from across the Channel!

The police did a good job of marshalling the crowds and I understand the professional retards were out protesting against the rally on the basis that, clearly, we are all racists, but didn’t really see or hear much of them. This is the type of racists they were protesting about:

Exile on Spencer St 30-03-2019 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226231)
This is the tea Towel that Terry Christian was promoting.

Is one of those faces his grandad or grandma?

Less 30-03-2019 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226231)

This is the tea Towel that Terry Christian was promoting (it seems he was only promoting it...he had not produced it himself as I first thought....he is still a grade one tossed)on the Jeremy Vine show earlier in the week.

Is that him behind the tea-towel showing it off?

If it is he looks as thick as a brick ****-house!

Less 30-03-2019 09:25

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...=1538469258400https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7568701.png

How about making our own tea-towel?

I think the caption should be:-
These people are also dead, WAS THEIR SACRIFICE IN VAIN?

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1226239)
Is one of those faces his grandad or grandma?

Not sure....but if it is he is even more detestable.

Less, I can't see anybody behind the tea towel, but if you go onto the Mr Bingo website it looks like he is the kind of person that Terry Christian would have as a friend....loony leftie luvvies who uses potty mouth language in an attempt to gain attention and shock.
It does not impress me....all it tells me is that his eyes function a little better than his brain.
As Cashy is frequently telling me....'you cannot put sense where there is none'

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1226243)
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...=1538469258400https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7568701.png

How about making our own tea-towel?

I think the caption should be:-
These people are also dead, WAS THEIR SACRIFICE IN VAIN?

Well, that one is better...but do I really want to wipe my pots with the faces of heroes...NO....but I would definitely hang it in my kitchen to remind me why I have the life I have.

Less 30-03-2019 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226244)

Less, I can't see anybody behind the tea towel

If you look really closely at the pic you will see a brickwall behind the tea-towel.

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 09:37

Ahhh....yes!
Not very sharp this morning Less....me I mean.
I thought you had gone on the website and seen some of his other 'work'...it isn't exactly coal hauling or hod carrying.
This man would not know what real work was it kicked him in the gonads.

Hill Walker 30-03-2019 10:40

I have an image stuck in my head that is driving me nuts. It is of a box of animated Punch and Judy puppets endlessly performing, powered unfortunately by the batteries of a well known manufacturer that go on and on and on …….

I had some hope it might go away on the 29th March but as that day approached the hope faded.

I am keeping myself sane by remembering the lessons of history, the Corn Laws eventually went, women got the vote eventually etc.

Ryewolf90 30-03-2019 13:36

According to the BBC Website and others:

"Theresa May and her cabinet are looking for ways to bring her EU withdrawal agreement back to the Commons for a fourth attempt at winning MPs' backing."

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 15:35

that'll work.

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 18:08

Lord Mervin King is saying that there is no evidence that jobs would be lost if we left on WTO rules....in fact he is advocating that we do exactly that.
Give that man a coconut.....at last someone who is not peddling project Fear mark twenty.

Ryewolf90 30-03-2019 19:43

I'm just reading an article in the Guardian about this, he seems to be one of the few people I've come across that isn't spouting doom and gloom over a no deal brexit - though I'm sure there are others. Maybe he should stand as a candidate for PM?

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2019 19:45

Whereas....our representative in Parliament says he works hard for the area(which one?The Yemen? Syria).....and that his door is always open.....ready to answer questions, bury stupidity,(so there he is again....making generalisations) protect jobs and mortgages.....it is actions we need not words.
As the proverb says'fair words butter no parsnips'

Maybe the spectre of a GE is giving him some cause for concern.

Less 31-03-2019 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226282)

Maybe the spectre of a GE is giving him some cause for concern.

Nah, he's a politician he doesn't worry about such minor items in fact his record shows he doesn't worry about anything that concerns the local populace, if it ain't the party line he won't tug on the rope.

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2019 12:37

Less, that he believes he has worked hard for the area gives some cause for concern.
He is clearly deluded...or maybe that thought gives him comfort.
I think he should let his constituents decide on his performance.
Maybe that opportunity will come quicker than he hopes.

cashman 31-03-2019 13:05

Thing is did our M.P. not surrender the Party Whip cos of Labours New Leader? yet now he seems to be backing him. pardon me but thats HYPOCRISY of the highest order to me?

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2019 13:42

yes he did Cashy.
Maybe he thinks we are not only thick, but have short memories too.

Exile on Spencer St 31-03-2019 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1226281)
... he seems to be one of the few people I've come across that isn't spouting doom and gloom over a no deal brexit - though I'm sure there are others....

There are plenty of others, it’s just that they tend to get ignored or ‘no platformed’ by the metropolitan media.

Exile on Spencer St 31-03-2019 15:46

Here’s a transcript of Mervin King’s excellent interview on Radio 4 t’other day. For once, we’ll done to the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/forme...backs-no-deal/

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2019 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1226305)
There are plenty of others, it’s just that they tend to get ignored or ‘no platformed’ by the metropolitan media.

It does not suit the establishment to promote those who can see clearly that there is a way out without bending the knee to Brussels.
And looking at the transcript it is clear and well thought out.....more than that some of us on here have been saying some of those things, perhaps in different ways, but in essence the same.

We have had things hidden from us by the people to whom the 'leave' result was a shock.
The deal that is currently on offer is NOT leaving.....except in name...but we would still be tied to the EU without an opportunity to influence anything....though we, so far, in the 46 years we have been enmeshed, have influenced precisely NOTHING.

Mervyn King is right when he says that preparations for leaving without a deal should have been started from the outset because we KNOW that the EU is peevish and unable to negotiate in the true sense of the word.

This transition period is a time when the EU could bring in punitive rules and laws(and I think I have read something that makes me think that we would find it difficult to revoke them....though I could be wrong).
The fact that JCJ and MB are still smiling means that they feel we are entrapped.

It also seems like Oliver Letwin has been conniving with Michel Barnier with the aim of thwarting a democratic vote....he should be deselected by his constituents for this underhand activity.

Though I really feel that TRAITORS SHOULD BE HANGED.

MoreJoe 31-03-2019 16:52

In the immortal words of Groucho Marx:
"I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member".

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2019 16:54

I voted not to join the EEC all those years ago....my vote was in vain.
I accepted the democratic decision....those who wanted to join were in the majority.
I have waited 46 years to be given another chance to have my say.
I have seen the situation change from a 'trading organisation' to one which wants to swallow up national identities and substitute the Federal States of the EU.
I have seen proud countries brought to their knees by the ideology of the EU.
The single currency has hobbled the economies of Greece and Italy and to some extent Spain and Portugal.
The unemployment levels for young people in those countries are approaching 50%.
That is half of all young people without jobs....impoverished by the EU....it is an entity that runs on its own rules...unelected and therefore unaccountable....is this not a dictatorship?
It looks very much like it from where I stand....so why would anyone want to be a party to such an organisation?

So if we are betrayed by the spineless politicians that are currently in Parliament I can see violence and riots ahead.

MoreJoe 31-03-2019 19:43

Well said Margaret.
You deserve to have your parsnips buttered! ;-)

cashman 31-03-2019 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226311)
I voted not to join the EEC all those years ago....my vote was in vain.
I accepted the democratic decision....those who wanted to join were in the majority.
I have waited 46 years to be given another chance to have my say.
I have seen the situation change from a 'trading organisation' to one which wants to swallow up national identities and substitute the Federal States of the EU.
I have seen proud countries brought to their knees by the ideology of the EU.
The single currency has hobbled the economies of Greece and Italy and to some extent Spain and Portugal.
The unemployment levels for young people in those countries are approaching 50%.
That is half of all young people without jobs....impoverished by the EU....it is an entity that runs on its own rules...unelected and therefore unaccountable....is this not a dictatorship?
It looks very much like it from where I stand....so why would anyone want to be a party to such an organisation?

So if we are betrayed by the spineless politicians that are currently in Parliament I can see violence and riots ahead.

Aye but probably half of those young without jobs reckon corbyn will fix it.:rolleyes: just remind me oer tuition fees.

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2019 21:36

I did not mean the young people of this country Cashy....unemployment here has fallen to its lowest level for something like 40 years(some of this fall may be in the way stats are recorded).
I am talking about the way the goons in Brussels have demeaned the non industrialised countries in the EU...no level playing field for them.
Yet they can do absolutely nothing about it.
These bureaucrats are not elected, so cannot be voted out.
Greece will never in a million years be able too pay back what it owes to Brussels?
Had Greece been in charge of its own money (not tied in to the Euro) it could have devalued its currency....making holidays cheaper, more competitive and eventually become fiscally sound.
Being in the Eu was detrimental their financial stability

Now who is to sat that the EU in the. Interim of us getting out, will not get up to some jiggery poker to damage the UK in some way?
What is for sure is that they want to see us fail....and fail spectacularly.
I do not trust them as far as I could throw a tree.

Morecambe Ex Pat 01-04-2019 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226318)
unemployment here has fallen to its lowest level for something like 40 years(some of this fall may be in the way stats are recorded)

The figure refers to the number of people entitled to unemployment benefit. Many people out of work are offered training schemes where they are paid a few quid a week. They officially come off unemployment benefit which reduces the number of people claiming.

The figures are as meaningless as their fictitious inflation figures.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 08:46

Yes....I felt sure that there would be some kind of government chicanery to account for some of the figures.
That said, our economy has done better than the doom mongers predicted when the it was seen that those who voted wanted to leave the EU.

The common agricultural policy and the fishing policies of the EU have meant farmers and fishermen have seen their livelihoods shrink....with fishermen having to throw back perfectly edible fish because EU rules mean they cannot legally sell this fish...so instead of feeding people(or even going into animal feed) it feeds the seagulls.
There are varieties of apples that used to be common on our market stall, but the EU clamped down on those too....so they have disappeared....if they cannot be sold then growers will not grow them.
It is more economical for farmers to let their fields out to wind farms than grow food in them.
This dismantling of our life styles and heritage has been going on for more than 4 decades....too long.....let us be OUT.....right out.

The French cherry pick the rules they will follow....and ignore the rest....and no action is taken against them.
Brits follow rules slavishly...

Exile on Spencer St 01-04-2019 14:11

This is a link to an interesting article about the difference between Leavers and Remoaners and, in the James Delingpole web cast, the rally last Friday.
Anecdotally, I can confirm the conclusions.
I was carrying a banner which read “Leave and rejoin the free world”. Only two passers-by made any comments. Both were very smartly dressed, middle-aged men (we were in Chelsea and Westminster, after all!). The first told me I was a racist. The second shouted “islamaphobe”.
Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/201...s-say-experts/

cashman 01-04-2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1226340)
This is a link to an interesting article about the difference between Leavers and Remoaners and, in the James Delingpole web cast, the rally last Friday.
I was carrying a banner which read “Leave and rejoin the free world”. Only two passers-by made any comments. Both were very smartly dressed, middle-aged men (we were in Chelsea and Westminster, after all!). The first told me I was a racist. The second shouted “islamaphobe”.

Hope yeh told em to F. off mate.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1226340)

It just shows that these two members of society were intellectually challenged.....and had an extremely narrow view of the world.....though those attributes are what they level as insults against those who voted to leave.
Both of those comments are calculated to close down any discussion.
I found the article that you gave the link for, very interesting.
Thank you.

cashman 01-04-2019 15:20

Very interesting link Exile Cheers mate,

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 15:38

I seriously hope that the MP's do not tie us into a customs union....that would be against what was promised and it would not be leaving.
For goodness sake just let us leave 12th April under wto.

cashman 01-04-2019 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226346)
I seriously hope that the MP's do not tie us into a customs union....that would be against what was promised and it would not be leaving.
For goodness sake just let us leave 12th April under wto.

Sadly i am 90% certain those traitors will stuff us Margaret. our own M.P.for one.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 16:21

we have to wait and see Cashy...but not hopeful
that said the vote is not binding and TM has shied away from Customs union because it DOES NOT DELIVER Brexit...in fact it ties us firmly to the EU.

cashman 01-04-2019 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226352)
we have to wait and see Cashy...but not hopeful
that said the vote is not binding and TM has shied away from Customs union because it DOES NOT DELIVER Brexit...in fact it ties us firmly to the EU.

I know Margaret,but i find it very difficult to think owt she says she means.

Ryewolf90 01-04-2019 18:14

Well, MP's will be voting on 4 proposals, so called Indicative Votes. The proposals are:

Motion C: Customs union

Proposer: Ken Clarke, Conservative

This option commits the government to negotiating "a permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union with the EU" as part of any Brexit deal.

This arrangement would give the UK a closer trading relationship with the EU and reduce the need for some (but not all) checks at the Irish border.

But it would prevent the UK striking independent trade deals with other countries, and has previously been ruled out by Mrs May.

A version of this proposal received the most support in the first round, falling just six votes short of a majority.

Motion D: 'Common Market 2.0'

Proposer: Nick Boles, Conservative

This proposal would mean joining the European Free Trade Association and European Economic Area, with countries such as Norway.

It means the UK would remain part of the EU single market and would retain freedom of movement, so British citizens would keep the right to live and work in the EU and vice-versa.

In the last round, 188 MPs voted for this plan and 283 voted against.

Motion E: Confirmatory public vote

Proposers: Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson, Labour

This gives the public a vote to approve any Brexit deal passed by Parliament, before it can be implemented.

Tabled last time by Labour former minister Dame Margaret Beckett, this option won the highest number of votes, with 268 MPs for and 295 against.

Motion G: Parliamentary supremacy

Proposer: Joanna Cherry, Scottish National Party

This option offers a series of steps to prevent the UK leaving the EU without a deal. First, it requires the government to seek an extension if a deal has not been agreed two days before the deadline for leaving.

If the EU does not agree to an extension, on the day before the UK was due to leave, MPs would be asked to choose between a no-deal Brexit or revoking Article 50 to stop Brexit altogether.

In the event of revoking Article 50, an inquiry would be held to find out what type of future relationship with the EU could command majority support in the UK and be acceptable to Brussels.

MPs previously voted against a proposal to cancel Brexit by Joanna Cherry, but have not considered this plan before.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 18:35

All of these options are odious and mean we are still not OUT.
So it is remain, remain, remain, remain.
I predict a riot.
Will there be anyone brave enough door knock for support come the elections....I will be putting a sign in my window...it will say 'knock if you are brave enough'

Maybe the MP's will knock them on the head....or maybe there will be a mass government walk out = General Election...not that I think this is a good idea....but then all the good ideas are gone.

cashman 01-04-2019 18:57

These votes are not binding but aint holding me breath.:mad: the piece of crap called Ken Clark would not have dared propose that if Thatcher had still been leader.

Ryewolf90 01-04-2019 19:03

Motions C and D definitely keep us tied to the EU, so we're not out.

There's is still only one deal on the table and that's the one that the EU/UK agreed on, the EU has been adamant that there will be no opening of negotiations on the Withdrawal Agreement and it had to be agreed on by parliament by the 29th March in order to get the extension until May. The default is leave with no deal on the 12th April. To get a confirmatory referendum would require a significant delay.

Motion G: I think if MP's voted to revoke Article 50 many people would see it as a betrayal of democracy and would be deeply unpopular.

Ryewolf90 01-04-2019 19:05

Well, they're out to vote, the result should be in by 22:00.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 19:26

I hope they are as divided and indecisive as ever.

AccyMad 01-04-2019 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226364)
I hope they are as divided and indecisive as ever.

I think that's the most certain thing that will happen tonight - they'll definitely still be dithering

cashman 01-04-2019 19:49

The sooner many of these traitors are removed from office the sooner the country will start to recover, in my view.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 20:21

I think the whole lot of them need to be dumped.
There are very very few of them who are worth their corn.
We should get a rebate from ours.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 21:20

Please tell me I have read it right.....all options for tonight's votes have failed to reach a majority.
The Noes have it on all amendments.

Margaret Pilkington 01-04-2019 21:24

And just as an added bonus Nick Boles(boles by name and boles by nature) has quit the Conservative party...he will be sadly missed(NOT).
Now it would be great if doddering Ken Clarke and John Major went with him....they say misery needs company.

Ryewolf90 01-04-2019 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1226373)
Please tell me I have read it right

You read it right.

MPs have again failed to agree on all 4 proposals on the next steps for Brexit; and Nick Boles has resigned.